Best touchscreen laptop

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Going by the reviews and how fast it is selling out, I think this is the best selling touchscreen laptop available today. Would you guys agree?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Aspire+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop...

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

As with any item...read the reviews. Quick look....seems to show 15 on BB and at least 39 on Amazon alone..

Yes, OP you should buy it.

I wonder what happens when you touch the screen as it would push it back that is why you get a convertible tablet.

fatwallet21 said:   Going by the reviews and how fast it is selling out, I think this is the best selling touchscreen laptop available today. Would you guys agree?

No, for 3 reasons.

1. Lacks SSD. At this point, any laptop should have SSD, even if it's an OS/boot partition to speed things up. You are going to have a much slower experience and HDD is nowhere as reliable as SSD.
2. 2nd generation i3. This is 1 generation old at this point, and the next generation is due shortly (in the next 2 months?) at which point it will be 2 generations old. These newer chips operate on less energy and offer greater computing power so I don't know why you would want a touchscreen laptop which will become obsoleted so quickly.
3. This is news out of CES, but basically every laptop manufacturer announced they are releasing refreshed versions of their windows 8 laptops with touchscreens, so the price of this model should drop very soon and there will also be a lot more offering coming on the market starting in Feb.

appears that BestBuy has secured the best price on this laptop... I can't find any other touch screens for this price and config....

outtawhack said:   fatwallet21 said:   Going by the reviews and how fast it is selling out, I think this is the best selling touchscreen laptop available today. Would you guys agree?

No, for 3 reasons.

1. Lacks SSD. At this point, any laptop should have SSD, even if it's an OS/boot partition to speed things up. You are going to have a much slower experience and HDD is nowhere as reliable as SSD.
2. 2nd generation i3. This is 1 generation old at this point, and the next generation is due shortly (in the next 2 months?) at which point it will be 2 generations old. These newer chips operate on less energy and offer greater computing power so I don't know why you would want a touchscreen laptop which will become obsoleted so quickly.
3. This is news out of CES, but basically every laptop manufacturer announced they are releasing refreshed versions of their windows 8 laptops with touchscreens, so the price of this model should drop very soon and there will also be a lot more offering coming on the market starting in Feb.

good points. Plus Intel recently announced that they are trying to bring the Ultrabooks pricing to a standard $599 point sometime this year.... thing is this laptop at BB is selling out pretty fast and I can't find any other good touchscreen laptops in the lower price range...

Can I ask why you prefer touchscreen to standard input methods on anything other than a tablet or smartphone?

jtroye32 said:   Can I ask why you prefer touchscreen to standard input methods on anything other than a tablet or smartphone?

win8 becomes very convenient with touchscreen....

Try to avoid Acer laptop. Owned 2 and each of them died shortly after warranty expired. First one CPU FAN died thus caused Laptop frequent shutdown. 2nd one battery could not been charged and MB needed to be replaced.

Owned Thinkpad T430 and was happy so far.

fatwallet21 said:   Going by the reviews and how fast it is selling out, I think this is the best selling touchscreen laptop available today. Would you guys agree?

Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch.

I just ordered one a few days ago. It's tired as one of the best touchscreen ultrabooks.

IMO the ASUS offerings are the best value touchscreen 'laptops' for your $ currently

laptops with a touchscreen is pointless, its so awkward to use. like another person said, i would buy a convertible laptop instead if you want touch

If you want a lappy/tablet combo, an inexpensive (often sub $300 for refurbs) alternative might be the Dell Latitude XT2 Notebook (intel Core 2 Duo 1.60GHz 12.1"). Not very fast/big but a decent alternative. The ones I've seen online are usually Win7Pro but a Win8 upgrade isn't too expensive.

outtawhack is right, just be patient for another month or two.

When Win8 came out, none of the hardware was really ready. CES was the first major point for the hardware to catch up, and while you can always wait 2 more months for the next big thing, in this case you really do need to wait for the 3rd gen core chips, and more importantly the updated touchscreen (and synaptics touchpad options!) that are coming with them.

The only laptop to me that is worth it at the moment is the yoga, and Lenovo will be offering the smaller 11" with win8 soon.

Samsumng is also panning RT and focusing on Win8, and their offerings look stellar.

The only downside is that in this price point there might not be an option for longer than 2 months... Just use it in person and make sure the touchpad is flush with the base, using win8 gestures without that is frustrating even with updated drivers.

Enjoy!

outtawhack said:   fatwallet21 said:   Going by the reviews and how fast it is selling out, I think this is the best selling touchscreen laptop available today. Would you guys agree?

No, for 3 reasons.

I would keep my powder dry, OP, unless you have a pressing need. There are SO MANY things going on right now that you will not want to own anything you can buy right now in a year.

You got it right about touch. Windows 8 + Touch is where we are going. Battery life is about to double. I think you are going to want a Surface when it gets these new CPUs. It's a nice size, has a built in stand, and magnetically attaches to a really nice keyboard.

That's what I think, anyway. I got a non-touch i5 laptop on the cheap to tide me over until what I really want is available next year. That is my suggestion for you.

I got the ACER M Aspire with SSD, so its an upgrade to what you have listed here (i.e. memory, CPU, SSD). Using the touchscreen is awkward because the screen doesn't flip over to the back, it has a max recline level. That's not that big of a deal, but what's worse is the ultra sensitivity of the mouse pad. When you are typing, you'll often notice your cursor jumping all over the place. Frankly, this drives me crazy. Even though you aren't touching the mousepad, it still senses it. I'm thinking of returning. Anybody else got this issue?

So I ended up returning a Lenovo yoga and just picked up a asus ux31a zenbook touch. It's more of a high end (price wise and feature wise) ultrabook but it all boils down to what you want and whether it's best for you. I'll tell you why I felt the ultrabook I picked was best for me:

- light at < 3lbs
- fast ssd esp adata xm11 gives excellent sata 3 speeds, where as others use the slower sata 2 connectors (i'm talking about yoga)
- intel wifi, this makes a difference in how fast it connects to wifi on resuming from standby and how well it stays connected even with a weak signal. Unfortunately most laptops don't have 802.11ac yet, so you'll get 802.11n
- full hd 1920x1080p looks gorgeous

CONS: it is a fingerprint/dust magnet and some people don't like glossy screens and prefer matte. Personally I like it and the glare hasn't been as much of an issue for me. Some people don't like it's sharper edges. Yes I'd prefer it to be more rounded, but it's fine for me.

The zenbook has excellent reviews (read anandtech in particular for the ux31a review) and the new one with touch goes a step further adding win 8 touch. Really the next big thing is going to be haswell which is rumored to add substantial gains to battery life.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014