• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In my neighborhood after Hurricane Sandy a lot of customers had this problem and Verizon was busy going from account to account resetting the units.

A *HARD* lesson that I learned after Hurricane Sandy was:
  • DO NOT LEAVE YOUR UPS ON AND BEEPING FOR MORE THAN A FEW MINUTES!!!

I have 8 APC UPSes that all ran ~7 years on their original batteries since most of the power outages ranged from less than a second to a few minutes. But, STUPIDLY expecting the power to come right back on during Hurricane Sandy, I let the ~3-4 year old replacements run until they were exhausted.

When power was restored ~4 days later, 5 of the 8 wouldn't charge. 2 more died within the next few months.

LESSON LEARNED: *ONLY* Deep Cycle Lead Acid Marine Batteries - Lead Acid Auto Batteries and GEL cells don't like it at all!

Agreed. I always treat it as a device that gives me time to do an orderly shutdown. The only predictable thing about a power outage is knowing that you don't know when it will be restored.

with UPS it's constantly charging the battery and constantly using inverter to convert back to AC power. This is how you get uninterrupted power. Most battery don't like to be constantly charge when they are full, except car battery. So most battery die prematurely.

Before I do love the idea of uninterrupted power, but seeing how I wasted 364 days over charging the battery and wasting power just having the inverters running it's really not worth it. So I fully charge my UPS and power off and unplug it to wait for that 1 day when I do actually need it. Now and than I plug it in to keep the battery fresh, but no more wasting power for 364 days.

btw, this verizon fios battery backup only use to power the phone when it lost it's AC power. Your internet get disconnected when the power is out. I powered my router and still no internet, until I plug this into the UPS too.

this brings back bad memories years ago before we switched to Ooma of Fios backup battery beeping and my husband on the phone yelling at Verizon when they told him it was going to cost some outrageous amount to replace. They finally paid for the battery but it was the beginning of the end for fios phones in our house.

I had a problem with the battery backup system verizon came replaced the system & the battery at no charge.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014