iPod nano (1st generation) Replacement Program

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.
Replacement Process

You may order a replacement unit via the web. Go to: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod...placement/

Your iPod nano serial number will be checked to verify that it is eligible for this program. You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen).

If you have a personalized iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalized replacement. Make sure to use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.
Additional Information

Identifying an iPod nano (1st gen):

It has a black or white plastic front and a silver metal back - later iPod nano models have a metal front and back. See images on this web page.

If you need assistance with placing an order, please visit an Apple Retail Store and bring your iPod nano with you for serial number validation.

Your replacement iPod is under warranty for 90 days from the date of service.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Turn around time is pretty quick. Was about a week for two that I sent in (sent in on Thursday, got back the following ... (more)

chrislk1986 (Jan. 14, 2013 @ 10:03p) |

My came via FedEx. Since I wasn't home, I had to either authorize them to leave it at my door, give to neighbor and hav... (more)

shallot (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 12:45p) |

Thanks for posting. I missed this thread last year so a good repost.

I am sending mine in from the BOA Jets promo. Says t... (more)

maddybeagle (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 1:27p) |

https://supportform.apple.com/201110/

I didn't know this was still going on. It is great if you can find an old 1st gen. I still had one laying around and the replacement they sent was the 6th gen, which was the most recent at the time. I wonder if people sending it in now would get the 7th gen as a replacement?

That would be fantastic! I'm going to find out as I have one the wife has been using.

Swapped mine out some time ago, gave to father-in-law who loves the thing. Great of Apple to just blanket swap these old junk drawer items out.

Apple did the math and figure this was cheaper than a class action suit. Thy don't swap out squat hence the short and expensive product cycles.

Sent on in early December, received a 6th gen right before Xmas

link not working...also one of the posters claims to have received a 6th gen as a replacement...really?

I got a 6th generation ipod when I sent mine back in via this program a few months ago.

Link not working. Anybody else have a working link?

I participated in this last year. Received a brand new Nano (little shuffle looking like iPod with touch interface). BTW - I'm pretty sure Apple was FORCED to do this. Hate the company, love their products.

LuvIPA said:   Link not working. Anybody else have a working link?

Try here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

I have done this twice. Both times got 6th gen silver nanos. I have one gave one to my girl for christmas, she loves it. I love mine great for doing yard work.

Sent mine in two months ago and got the 6th gen in silver back also. Bought a cheap watch band and using it as a watch. Some friends didn't know what it was and were impressed, though wish I can download and customize the watch faces.

reggavegga said:   I have done this twice. Both times got 6th gen silver nanos. I have one gave one to my girl for christmas, she loves it. I love mine great for doing yard work.
I sent in 3 and rec 3 gen 6 as replacement. The 1st gen ones are hard to find anymore.

did we get gen 1 nanos from the nfl jets CC deal many years ago??

Apple rocks nice deal.

6 generation ipod is great with touch screen.

vickh said:   did we get gen 1 nanos from the nfl jets CC deal many years ago??
Yes. 2 of my 3 were from the NY Jets promo.

Got my new Nano. Thanks.

vickh said:   did we get gen 1 nanos from the nfl jets CC deal many years ago??
Yep - get another free iPod out of that deal = Win

I got a replacement too, but now the new Nano doesn't hold the battery charge. It will play radio for 90 minutes and then it's dead. So it's really nice to have a brand new Nano, but the battery life is horrible!

wow..my bad..i got email frmo apple and i did contact them and they have asked me to send to them...but i was lazy to send and they sent another email stating REPAIR ID is cancelled..

so looks like everyone is getting NEW 6TH GEN one's which is good! now i will go and contact APPLE about it !

Thanks!!! Just sent a request through the link provided....just waiting for the package to arrive so I can send my old one back. I'll keep you guys posted

antang said:   Sent mine in two months ago and got the 6th gen in silver back also. Bought a cheap watch band and using it as a watch. Some friends didn't know what it was and were impressed, though wish I can download and customize the watch faces.

I'm hoping this comes out soon Pebble Watch

znalec said:   I got a replacement too, but now the new Nano doesn't hold the battery charge. It will play radio for 90 minutes and then it's dead. So it's really nice to have a brand new Nano, but the battery life is horrible!

Meh. You'll get a few hours out of the radio, but it's also doing a lot more than just playing an audio track. It also records 30 sec of audio (may be able to turn off?) so that you can pause/rewind. Pretty cool feature. You are likely to get more battery life out of this just playing music, compared to your 1st gen Nano. I think lowering the bit rate when you sync your music will also give you more battery life, but it will take a bit longer to sync.

Also a fan of the time/date readout. Wish I could have something like that on my iPod Touch.

dan4deals said:   Thanks!!! Just sent a request through the link provided....just waiting for the package to arrive so I can send my old one back. I'll keep you guys posted

Turn around time is pretty quick. Was about a week for two that I sent in (sent in on Thursday, got back the following Wed or Thursday). But be warned, the carrier will just leave this at the door, even though the email that Apple sends you will say someone will need to be present to take possession of the package. And in both cases, the package showed up within 18 hrs of the email (got email at 8pm the day before for one Nano and 2am the day of for the other).

chrislk1986 said:   dan4deals said:   Thanks!!! Just sent a request through the link provided....just waiting for the package to arrive so I can send my old one back. I'll keep you guys posted

Turn around time is pretty quick. Was about a week for two that I sent in (sent in on Thursday, got back the following Wed or Thursday). But be warned, the carrier will just leave this at the door, even though the email that Apple sends you will say someone will need to be present to take possession of the package. And in both cases, the package showed up within 18 hrs of the email (got email at 8pm the day before for one Nano and 2am the day of for the other).

My came via FedEx. Since I wasn't home, I had to either authorize them to leave it at my door, give to neighbor and have them sign, or go pick up at the FedEx center. I picked it up myself.

Thanks for posting. I missed this thread last year so a good repost.

I am sending mine in from the BOA Jets promo. Says they are sending me a box to mail back in.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014