Tivo $299 +$99 lifetime service a good deal?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have an OLD TiVo (series 1 or 2)with lifetime. I got an email offering me $299 for refurbished premier +wireless G network adapter and $99 lifetime service. I've been wanting a new TiVo with lifetime service but is this really a good deal? The new premieres are selling for $149 on their regular web site but lifetime service is much higher.

Should I keep waiting for a better price?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm in same situation. I have 2 series 2 w/ lifetime. I paid $99 for lifetime a little over a year ago when I bought a Premiere-- bought the Premiere just so I could get the Lifetime on the S2's. (Sold the Premiere.)
TiVo CS/sales always seem to come up w/ a better deal when you talk to them.
I'd be inclined to call them, point out that a new box is only $149 and see what they have to say. I probably won't receive the email as they think I own a Premiere.

Keep us posted!

I have an OLD inactive TiVo (series 1 or 2) . Can I get any of the above deals?

It was a targeted email so I don't think there's a way to get it except watch your email. I tried to talk to CS and even a superviser - the fine print of the deal said the TiVo's price was $119 so I asked them to honor that, offer me the $149 price available at TiVo. com or at least give me a discount for the confusion. First they said the price was a typo, then they said they were out of the $119 units, even though they weren't. Finally afte 4 hours of me faxing them screen shots and them calling me back after checking only to agreeing that's what the site said but... They finally came back the last time and said the $119 is the regular full price of the item but if you buy it with special $99 lifetime service plan then the box costs $299. And that was their final offer, with nothing more than an apology for the 4 hours of my time it took them to figure it out.

I have an old TiVo Series II with lifetime membership. I didn't get an email for this deal but went ahead and called them anyway and the CSR offered it without me asking. All I did was tell them that I was switching cable provider and checking to see what offers are available. The CSR offered one refurbed TiVo Premiere (75hrs in HD) w/ lifetime for $299 + $99.99 plus a bonus free wireless G USB adapter. I asked if I can get two of them and he had to go ask his supervisor but came back and said yes! So, it comes out to $799.96 total (Sweet!) for both boxes.

I think you need at least one old device already with a lifetime membership which was what I had. The CSR called it an upgrade promotional. As always, YMMV but just wanting to plug in my experience and thank WWinters for the post! This is definitely a great deal if you can get it.

When I got lifetime for my Series 2 for $99 w/ purchase of a Premiere box it was because of a FW thread.
I didn't receive the email but I called, asked about the promo and they were willing to sell it to me.
I have a TiVo adapter. Is it any different from the one included in the package? I wonder if they would discount it any if I said I don't need the adapter

my4mainecoons said:   When I got lifetime for my Series 2 for $99 w/ purchase of a Premiere box it was because of a FW thread.
I didn't receive the email but I called, asked about the promo and they were willing to sell it to me.
I have a TiVo adapter. Is it any different from the one included in the package? I wonder if they would discount it any if I said I don't need the adapter

can we still get lifetime for Series 2 for $99

vickh said:   my4mainecoons said:   When I got lifetime for my Series 2 for $99 w/ purchase of a Premiere box it was because of a FW thread.

can we still get lifetime for Series 2 for $99

can't hurt to ask.
I got it in Sept. 2011. At the time they were selling new Premieres w/lifetime for $449 . I called to get one and they offered the $99 for lifetime on the S2 machines.
So now they're offering refurb Premieres w/ Lifetime and an adapter for $398. $51 difference 16 mo later and hardware is now a refurb.

my4mainecoons said:   I got it in Sept. 2011. At the time they were selling new Premieres w/lifetime for $449 . I called to get one and they offered the $99 for lifetime on the S2 machines.
So now they're offering refurb Premieres w/ Lifetime and an adapter for $398. $51 difference 16 mo later and hardware is now a refurb.
45 hr 16 months ago, 75 hr refurb today.

vickh said:   I have an OLD inactive TiVo (series 1 or 2)...
  • What did you decide to do with your old ReplayTV 5040?

• Did you try my 'Experiment'?

• Are you aware of Poopli?

Just curious, since you never replied in the 'other' thread...

Thanks for the link. After my 4 hrs on the phone with TiVo CS I'm looking into other options, this thread and the AV form look like good places to learn.

TakeTheActive said:   vickh said:   I have an OLD inactive TiVo (series 1 or 2)...
  • What did you decide to do with your old ReplayTV 5040?

• Did you try my 'Experiment'?

• Are you aware of Poopli?

Just curious, since you never replied in the 'other' thread...

I took your advice about not selling. I didn't know prices had fallen so much!

Will try Poopli.

My CM CECB is stuck on a red light, won't power on. Is there a way to reset it?

I'm still torn b/t TiVo and Replay. Wife likes TiVo interface better. If I had $99 lifetime we'd go with TiVo...

Has anyone been able to get this deal recently? I tried to chat to see if they had any refurb units and the representative said that they didn't have any offers.

If you got it recently, do you have a phone number I can call?

TakeTheActive said:   vickh said:   I have an OLD inactive TiVo (series 1 or 2)...What did you decide to do with your old ReplayTV 5040?

Did you try my 'Experiment'?

Seriously? An old SD single-tuner DVR kludged up to a DVD-R? What are you going to suggest next, a bag phone in a car?

Note - I had Replays and thought they were great for their time (SD analog channel recording), but those days are long passed. Sell them or give them away, then get a good used lifetime TiVo HD on fleabay for $350 or less if you can't take advantage of this great offer and are too cheap to get a lifetime Premiere for $500 or so.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.