84 mpg Car $6800 reserve one now

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
I always thought, why is it not possible to put a hood on top of the motorbike. Looks like the future car for commuting to work.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100373460

(from their website)

84 mpg
It gets 84 miles to the gallon on the highway. That means you can go from Detroit to New York City on a tank of gas – or drive from Shreveport LA to Dallas and back – then back to Dallas again – and still have about 110 miles left before a refill. How is that possible? Keep reading.

8-Gallon Tank
It can go 672 miles, or thereabouts, because it has an 8-gallon tank and 8X84=672. Of course, other factors will affect your mileage but you get the point.

Only $6,800
It only costs $6,800. That’s about what you would pay for an outboard motor to power a rowboat.

Safety
Each Elio comes equipped with a Safety Management System that includes three airbags – a reinforced roll-cage frame, Anti-Lock Braking System, and 50% larger crush zones than similar vehicles. Preliminary safety tests on computer models anticipate a 5-Star safety rating.

American Made = American Jobs
It should come as no surprise that Elio will create a number of much-needed jobs for American workers. We’re estimating 1,500 jobs at our Shreveport, LA plant beginning in the spring of 2014.

Fun
It’s a blast to drive. Imagine every little errand, every daily commute being something you look forward to because it means you’ll be driving your Elio. It looks cool. And face it, you are what you drive, so that will make you one cool person.

Unique
Because of its unique design, people will talk. They’ll also stare, smile, give you a thumbs up and who knows what else. And while everyone is smiling at you from the outside, trust us, you’ll be smiling from within.

Eco-Friendly
This is a very green vehicle – and we’re not just talking about the color. Yes, it gets 84 MPG on the highway, but you’ll be doing your share of city driving, too. Fear not, with its city rate of 49 MPG, you’ll be consuming only 1/3 of what the average American vehicle consumes.

Power in Numbers
An inline, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, 70 HP, fuel-injected, DOHC gas-powered, liquid-cooled, automotive engine.

Our Transmission Mission
5-speed manual or automatic. And yes, it has a reverse gear.

Fast Facts
Top speed is in excess of 100 MPH, and the 0-60 speed is under 9.6 seconds. So it’s not exotic sports car fast, but it’s not slow, either. And while a gas-guzzling muscle car might pass you, no one will pass gas stations like you.

Great Traction
The engine is in the front and it is a front-wheel-drive vehicle. So, with a low center of gravity and weight towards the front, you’ll get great traction action – even in the snow.

You Deserve a Big Brake
We will have 3-wheel disc brakes with the Anti-Lock Braking System on 15″ wheels. So your Elio will not only stop onlookers in their tracks, it’ll stop you, too – quickly and safely.

A Suspension as Independent as You
The first cousin of cool is smooth. So we’ve built Elio on an independent suspension with unequal length control arms, coil-over-spring and shock in the front and mono-shock with coil-over-spring and shock in the rear. The ground clearance is 5.75″ — similar to most of the passenger vehicles you see on the road today.

Heads Up. A Word About Interior Room
Interior measurements are as follows:

Headroom: Driver 39.8 Passenger 36.4 in
Seat width: Driver 20.6 Passenger 25.3 in
Front seat: 42.7 in
Rear seat: 33.1 in

Elio has been designed to fit 95% of all men. If you are in an NBA-sized category, you’ll just have to hop into an Elio yourself and see how it fits.

Listen to the Sound of Silence
The body panels are made of a composite (which is more sound deadening than steel) and attached to a tight, solid body that doesn’t have a lot of moving (read squeaky) parts. These two design features help keep outside noise from getting into the cockpit and getting in the way of your favorite tunes playing on our AM/FM radio
(that’s standard).

When You Need Your Space
The trunk space will be at least 27″ x 14″ x 10″, enough for an airline carry-on bag or a golf bag with the rear seat down (47″+). If you’re the working type, tools, blueprints, briefcases, and who knows what else can also be accommodated.

Uncommon Standards
When you own an Elio, you’re not just a customer, you’re part of a family. So we’re not going to lure you in with that $6,800 low price, only to mention things like A/C and an AM/FM radio are extra. They’re not. You get those items plus heater, defrost, the three airbags, power windows and door lock, seat belts, tempered glass, and windshield wiper at no extra cost.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I was reading somewhere that audi and VW bringing some Diesel models for its poupular cars in Euro zone

livingdivineus (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 9:37p) |

No, that's not the reason. I did the math correctly. If you'd been to the UK anytime in the past (at least) 25 years, ... (more)

cestmoi123 (Jan. 18, 2013 @ 9:20a) |

This car seems like a modern day version of the Freeway.

EdHarriss (Jan. 18, 2013 @ 9:54a) |

Elio Motors FAQ

Elio Wiki (not much there now)

Supposed to ship first cars in July 2014.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How do I reserve

I found this link:
https://www.eliomotors.com/make-a-reservation/

I like the idea, but the car looks too low and not very good to drive in snow.

Perfect car for Honolulu Might think to get one instead of scooter.

Coffin on wheels?

Reminds me of the old cars they had when I was a kid. I think they were named Isetta's.

Brochure Image for 1950s Isetta

Looks like they were around for a lot longer than I thought, but as I recall, they were indeed not where you wanted to be in case of a wreck.

I wish them luck.

This is not a car, it is an enclosed motorcycle with three wheels.

they basically ripped off a Can-Am tryke and enclosed it, looks interesting though, green for trying to be green

holycrap said:   This is not a car, it is an enclosed motorcycle with three wheels.

More of an enclosed motorSCOOTER with three wheels at the price-point they are saying this will sell at.

Wonder if they did their speed tests going downhill for several miles or what?

Surprised it is so slow 0-60. Must be significantly heavier than a motorcycle. Can't seem to find the weight anywhere. The one nice thing is the size of the gas tank. That's about twice as big as my motorcycle. It actually looks nice from the front but the way it tapers in the back is just awkward.

Nothing new. It will serve a niche market. Probably fun to drive.

So with the $1000 reservation package you'll end up at $5300 ($6800 - $1500 reservation bonus)? Hmm...

No, you'll end up at $6300 - the bonus is $500 off of list at the $1000 reserve level (you get a 50% credit towards price no matter what level you reserve it at).

The danger is that you'll lose the $1000 in bankruptcy if it goes down in flames.

Great idea, I would definitely be interested in getting one even at list price if it actually comes out next year. With PW/PL/ABS and A/C + stereo standard (and options can be added anytime because they're after-sale installed), the only question is whether it will actually ship at the $6800 price which I find to be very aggressive. A Can-Am Spyder is over twice this price but it's really a 3-wheel sport motorcycle, this wants to be more of a car.

reminds me of these: http://www.spyder.brp.com/home with an enclosure... albeit WAY cheaper.

Mickie3 said:   Coffin on wheels?

Reminds me of the old cars they had when I was a kid. I think they were named Isetta's.

Looks like they were around for a lot longer than I thought, but as I recall, they were indeed not where you wanted to be in case of a wreck.

Didn't Urkel drive one of those? (crappy 80s tv show)

GTFan said:   No, you'll end up at $6300 - the bonus is $500 off of list at the $1000 reserve level (you get a 50% credit towards price no matter what level you reserve it at).
You are right, my bad.

Basically they say give me your money and maybe we sell you a car when we want to, but we don't have to, and won't give you your money back. Boy, I'm in the wrong business.

2. Nature of Agreement; Non-Binding Reservation Payment
The Reservation Payment is NON-REFUNDABLE and provides you with the benefits in Section 4 below depending on the level of your payment. This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment plus a bonus equal to 50% of the payment will be credited against the purchase price.

holycrap said:   This is not a car, it is an enclosed motorcycle with three wheels.

Yep. Supposed to be out in 2014 but I hope folks are not holding their breath. Many car/motorcycle companies (unestablished ones) end up biting the dust due to the massive amount of dollars needed to survive.

skarydrunkguy said:   Mickie3 said:   Coffin on wheels?

Didn't Urkel drive one of those? (crappy 80s tv show)

Never saw the show, but from what I have heard, he would have fit in with the set they were trying to appeal to.

nadertashakor said:   Basically they say give me your money and maybe we sell you a car when we want to, but we don't have to, and won't give you your money back. Boy, I'm in the wrong business.

Yep, that's the problem in a nutshell, you're really helping to finance the company with the res. Kinda like Tesla.

There's no way I'd put down good money in the hope that they will deliver, but if it does it'll be worth a look.

I'm holding out for the MINI Cooper D eventually making it over to the U.S.

Close to 70MPG highway and still supposed to be a blast to drive. Obviously, no where near the top-end speed of a Cooper S, but still plenty of torque at the low-end.

nadertashakor said:   Basically they say give me your money and maybe we sell you a car when we want to, but we don't have to, and won't give you your money back. Boy, I'm in the wrong business.

2. Nature of Agreement; Non-Binding Reservation Payment
The Reservation Payment is NON-REFUNDABLE and provides you with the benefits in Section 4 below depending on the level of your payment. This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment plus a bonus equal to 50% of the payment will be credited against the purchase price.

IOW, if you pay by check, you may end up with nothing other than a cancelled check.

You are so right, we are in the wrong business. Wonder how many folks will pay without reading the disclaimer?

jaimelobo said:   I'm holding out for the MINI Cooper D eventually making it over to the U.S.

Close to 70MPG highway and still supposed to be a blast to drive. Obviously, no where near the top-end speed of a Cooper S, but still plenty of torque at the low-end.

Cars that have obtained real MPG that are twice or more what US cars have been getting have been available in Europe for a long time. My favorite was the OPEL Kadet series, a blast to drive and easy at the pump. The newer ones get even better MPG, but you still have a major hassle importing them.

Yeah but a lot of them run on Diesel and that's a dirty word in the states, not to mention about 25% more expensive right now.

jaimelobo said:   I'm holding out for the MINI Cooper D eventually making it over to the U.S.

Nice but has nothing to do with the price and features of this model, apples to oranges.

My current bike does that, and it's loads faster. Cheaper too!

Mickie3 said:   jaimelobo said:   I'm holding out for the MINI Cooper D eventually making it over to the U.S.

Cars that have obtained real MPG that are twice or more what US cars have been getting have been available in Europe for a long time. My favorite was the OPEL Kadet series, a blast to drive and easy at the pump. The newer ones get even better MPG, but you still have a major hassle importing them.

This is due to safety regulations - look at the smart. Much better MPG on european models, but AFAIK, the US versions are a lot heavier due to the safety regulations, and this kills the MPG...

Love the idea, but $6800? I will eat my own words if they can build a profitable car at that price, just cannot see it happening.

I have a hard time seeing them deliver at that price too.

This is a trike, not a car. Anything with less than 4 wheels doesn't have to meet the federal safety regulations that a 4-wheeler must have. That's why the Elio cheaper and lighter than a car.

BTW GTFan - agree with you about the risk putting down money on this vehicle. Tesla bucked the trend and actually delivered product, so not really an appropriate example of risk. There are any number of 3rd-tier manufacturers that took deposits but never made it to production, but Tesla isn't one of those.

I especially like the promo photo with the couple and two kids standing, smiling in front of it. Very practical application for a family of four.

Since this is classified as a motorcycle, it will likely require a motorcycle license and maybe even a helmet ...

Can you imagine someone trying to pass the motorcycle license test in this thing?

Hope it doesn't go the way like TATA "NANO" from INDIA. So much hype with that low cost just around $2000 and it is a 4 door sedan.
News is that they would be launching it in US/EUROPE market in 3-4 yrs.

tumements said:   I found this link:
https://www.eliomotors.com/make-a-reservation/

I like the idea, but the car looks too low and not very good to drive in snow.
The angle of approach seems to be too low. I'd be more concerned with the front nose piece being too low and not clear speed bumps or steep drive way/street curb junctions.

GTFan said:   Yeah but a lot of them run on Diesel and that's a dirty word in the states, not to mention about 25% more expensive right now.

Ding ding ding. I remember getting upwards of 45MPG, mix of city and highway driving, in a BMW 520d in the UK. So, Prius-level mileage in a very substantial car.

I hope this car really come into production....always wanted to buy a motorbike but wife never allowed it...hopefully future model might have convertible option too........

I might take one. I had a girlfried in Germany in the 60's with an isleta. My grandson bout a 3 wheel english car but the 1 wheel is in the front. I like this idea a lot better. Trike bike with a body.

if you don't care about comfort, safety, inner space, cargo space, looks, lack of features or your dignity, this car is for you. I don't know why but it reminds me of pt cruiser

Skipping 23 Messages...
This car seems like a modern day version of the Freeway.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014