• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Two years ago since I have seen the $4000.00 80" Sharp TV at Costco I have wanted to purchase one. Being a discipline shopper I set a price point which was about the $2,700 range. This was about 2/3 of the current cost at that time. Since then I've been searching over the last two years. I've seen them as low as $3497.00 when Costco was clearing them out for the next years model. Now the price is back in the $3900 to $4400 range depending on if its on coupon. My only requirement for my TV search is a reputable dealer. Not a warehouse in New Jersey. I've looked at Frys, Newegg, Amazon, Pauls TV, Sharps special pricing web site,and others, and still nothing.

I am not married to 80"Sharp, It's just the only maker of a moderately priced large screen TV's. Maybe that is why prices have not dropped much. There is not a lot of competition for the large TV's.(80 inches and up). Prices of all other sized TV have dropped huge. The 60" LG television I recently bought had dropped close to half of its price in one year.

I see four available options.

1. Go with a smaller Television. The Sharp 70" can be had for the $1600 range occasionally, $1688 right now at Frys. This is way smaller than I want. In a perfect world I would have a 100" inch t.v..

2. I can go with the Mitsubishi 92" DLP television. I've seen it drop as low as $2600.00 but I would need it to drop to under $2000 to make it worth it to me in dealing with the DLP issues. (viewing angles, thickness, changing bulb, reliability, etc.)

3. Change my price points. As a true Fatwallet person this is the hardest thing for me to do. Since we are dealing with technology I feel prices should drop. (if the Seahawks would of made it to the Superbowl, I would of change my price point!)

4. Wait..Wait...Wait... so far I have been very patient. This is what I will probably continue to do.

Any other ideas? Comments? Please no projectors either. Already researched them, wanted one, but my wife can not be convinced. ( even with my electrician friend professionally installing it). So I will honor her request and stay away from projectors.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

DLP would be a good option, always something to consider when your looking for a big big screen as you are

This one's easy. The price will drop 91 days after you buy one. Duh....

Why such a big TV. Get two mid size ones and watch two things at once.

or a projector solution.

Don't they have a 90" model?

DenverDiver said:   Don't they have a 90" model? Yes they do but an extra 10 inches double the price to $8,000 to $10,000.

I bought the SHARP LC-70C8470U 70" - Item# 870847 in July 2012 for $2,900 (now $2,800) + $100 for extended warranty. Others can provide you feedback on features but my approach, generally, is to get the TV fully loaded. So, my posting will be more about the user experience. The TV arrived with a cloud over exactly one-half the screen. Costco replaced the TV easily. I considered the 80" but the few extra inches for the cost at the time didn't make sense plus my space was an issue. My TV is mounted on the wall in my bedroom. Customer support by Sharp is outstanding. Recently I purchased from Newegg a MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1CH Premium Home Theater Speaker System Black System for $275 and a Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver for $550. The enhanced sound system has made a significant difference in the user experience. I hope this helps.

An 80" is 30% larger than a 70".

If we are going to measure in square inches without frame it is approximately 2,735 vs 2,060 or 36%. I have a Stewart Greyhawk Projection Screen for a large experience, if needed...4,912 square inches or 80% > the Sharp 80".

What is the size of the room? Typical viewing distance? If suitable for 70", why get the 80" - spend the remaining budget on furniture, audio, blu-ray with Google TV, ...

I'm pretty sure the big deal was at PaulsTV, where he was offering the platinum mitsubishi WD82842 for $1899 with two sets of 3d glasses and an internet flashdrive. I missed the deal while trying to rationalize it. When I finally called in, all 41 he had were sold. I've been trying to find a deal close to this ever since. Mitsubishi's support told me they have ceased production and have shipped them all out.

I think you dodged a bullet. As I recall DLP's cannot be hung from the wall. Next, I had a 52" LCD from M that I paid $3,500 three years ago that I spent a year trying to have repaired properly. Come to find out as your comment suggests that they are out of the LCD business. The settlement I reached with them was that they would send me a 55" Toshiba LED for the cost of shipping ($150). Glad M is out of my life although I have an M projection TV with 102" screen.

Me, personally, I would have taken that bullet. $1900 for an 82" screen. I really doubt you will be able to get another 82" for that price in the next three years. I have a 65" DLP and for the grand I paid for it, I was extremely happy. (I think they ended up dropping to a low of $600.) Nope, you can't mount it on the wall, but that was never a concern for me.

1)Sharp has a semi-monopoloy on these large large screen tvs. B/c of this you are much less likely to see some blowout price than you would on last years 50" model. So I don't know how successful you will be in waiting for the price to drop big time. You have already waited 2 years (congrats, btw- you have more patience than 99.9% of US shoppers-very impressed!)
2)You have already waited 2 years-wow! Congrats, you have more patience than 99.9% of US shoppers-very impressed! Most people freak out after waiting 2 days.
3)I would seriously look at the Mits. DLP projector TVs. I have seen some dirt cheap sales for these pop-up. They are much skinnier than previous DLP TVs- certainly not as nice as a big LCD, but not bad either. I would consider then a serious contender in the big big screen wars- value wise at least.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014