• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/69-month-lease-mitsubishi...

I know, I know lease is never a FW way to obtain a car. But with Nissan just lower the sticker price on a base Leaf for $6000. What do you guys think?

Member Summary

love it who can go wrong with $69 a month

From article - "O'Brien has advertised a $69 a month, two-year lease of an i-MiEV before about $2,100 in fees, or a $169-a-month deal with the fees rolled in. As with all electric car leases, the dealership keeps the $7,500 federal tax credit that goes to the vehicle's buyer."

Question now is, is it worth $169 / month for this car?

Might be a win. After 2 years, who knows what condition the battery/motor/controls will be in. It might be great to walk away, as opposed to taking out a 60mo loan on that 30k and having warranty issues up the wazoo after a couple years. Although, with a range of 60mi on a charge, it will be hard to burn up the mileage before the calendar warranty ticks away. I drive 20mi to work, half to 3/4 of it 55mph, I wonder if this baby could handle those speeds. Also with 40mi round trip in -10F we're seeing this week, will there be enough charge left to keep me thawed. Do electric golf carts have heaters?

The net cost for $169 /month comes to around 4K. The fuel savings alone would be a minimum of 2K, probably more depending upon your electricity rate and usage pattern. To me it's a no-brainer. That car is actually hurting bad in terms of US sales. Hence this deal. I'd call it a steal and go for the $169 /month in a heartbeat(makes more financial sense). Will check with my local Mitsu if they'll match.

In response to howiez69, yes it is a deal only if electric cars in general work for you for your personal driving situation. I'm optimistic that this situation will change in 3 years with new battery technology.

I need help..get me a cheap new car!!! with longer mileage

If I was single, and this was in my city, I believe it would be a no brainer.

No one has come up with $69 a month. Both options are equivalent if you also consider lost opportunity cost of $2100 in fees. If one's driving situation permits an electric car this IS a no-brainer.

"62 miles of range on a full charge"...I couldn't even go back and forth to work. The technology is not there yet, no wonder sales are lousy.

BamBam0099 said:   "62 miles of range on a full charge"...I couldn't even go back and forth to work. The technology is not there yet, no wonder sales are lousy.

But, it looks like it would work for 90% of the US populace that commute under 60 miles per day.

Source: http://www.statisticbrain.com/commute-statistics/

tgif777 said:   http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/69-month-lease-mitsubishi...

I know, I know lease is never a FW way to obtain a car. But with Nissan just lower the sticker price on a base Leaf for $6000. What do you guys think?

remember, in Illinois you have to pay sales tax on the value of the car when you lease. If you decide to purchase at lease end (unlikely), you pay sales tax again.

bippie said:   tgif777 said:   http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/69-month-lease-mitsubishi...

remember, in Illinois you have to pay sales tax on the value of the car when you lease. If you decide to purchase at lease end (unlikely), you pay sales tax again.

What a deal!

Am surprised dealers haven't bought off legislator to remove that double tax, errr,,,, I mean lobbied to get it removed.

bippie said:   

Don't you pay tax only on the lease cost?

Aren't cars always double taxed? Say owner 1 pays tax on 20K. Owner 2 buys the car for 10K and pays tax again. Owner 3 pays tax on 5K. State gets tax on 35K. And the manufacturer has some sales tax costs rolled into the production cost.

Range could be even down to 30+ miles with lots of other power draws (defroster, heaters, etc.)
Review

AndyDev said:   In response to howiez69, yes it is a deal only if electric cars in general work for you for your personal driving situation. I'm optimistic that this situation will change in 3 years with new battery technology.

Yeah I agree, in three years they will have this figured out after all they have only had electric cars for a hundred years so the next three look very promising.

tgif777 said:   http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/69-month-lease-mitsubishi...

how much is a base Leaf these days...

Someone on here tell me I am off base. Why not do this or even the national deal for either Mitsubishi or Nissan. For example the Nissan offer is currently ~255/mo including the upfront costs (199/mo + $1999 at signing) for a 3 year lease. Provided you don't go over 12k miles a year the cost over 10 years would be 30k, plus cost for charging. I paid 25k for my car. I know by 10 years ownership I will have put in more than 5k in gas (Diesel) each, plus any other maintenance that comes up outside of warranty. Whereas in the renewed lease case you are always under warranty and only maintenance costs would be...brakes? wiper blades? No oil changes. Can't think of anything else.

Again someone bring me down please

bobley said:   bippie said:   

Don't you pay tax only on the lease cost?

Aren't cars always double taxed? Say owner 1 pays tax on 20K. Owner 2 buys the car for 10K and pays tax again. Owner 3 pays tax on 5K. State gets tax on 35K. And the manufacturer has some sales tax costs rolled into the production cost.

Nope - Illinois lessees pay tax on the full value of the car when signing a lease

I would do the MiEV deal in a heartbeat. but I just checked the maps would be pretty tough to get it the 829 miles home

either deal is about $4000 total for the 24 months. that is spit compared to what I spend in gas (I drive over 30k a year) all depends on if they will "deal" on mileage. HOPEFULLY they understand that for an electric car maintenance has zero issue whether you drive it 20,000 miles or 100,000 miles they simply do NOT wear out like normal cars do (just the battery) and they theoretically should be SEEKING high mileage drivers to get good data on battery life and tolerances etc..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014