• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Newslink

Microsoft will increase pricing for Windows 8 Pro upgrade from $39.99 to $199.99 starting tomorrow. Other Windows 8 licenses will go up similarly.

Also free Media Center feature pack keys (which add Media Center to Windows 8 Pro) will expire at midnight tonight, so activate/grab a key and use it if you haven't already.

Yes, there are Windows 8 threads. This is the only one I've seen that alerts people clearly that the pricing goes up tomorrow.

You can still upgrade via the $14.99 Windows 7 trade up promo, but that is only for people that bought Windows 7 PCs last fall or later. That promo ends at the end of February.

I'm actually up late right now, upgrading two machines to Windows 8 to make sure I lock in Media Center. Not really a fan of Windows 8, but it does improve DirectX enough to deal with the Metro crudware.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
True... but media center free upgrade ended yesterday

rbhoj (Feb. 01, 2013 @ 11:10a) |

I submitted my request for a Media Center key last weekend. MS finally sent me one 2:00 AM on Feb. 1st. Tonight, I deci... (more)

HTN (Feb. 01, 2013 @ 11:21p) |

Yes. Only the free Media Center add on keys expire. Windows licenses expire when Microsoft expires

asuka (Feb. 03, 2013 @ 12:36a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I believe Windows 8 will go the Vista way. Both utter failures!

asuka said:   Newslink

You can still upgrade via the $14.99 Windows 7 trade up promo, but that is only for people that bought Windows 7 PCs last fall or later. That promo ends at the end of February.

How do I know if my PC qualifies? I bought it from Staples in October.

Ok, if I already have the keys for Media Center is there a rush on installing it by tonight?

turls88 said:   Ok, if I already have the keys for Media Center is there a rush on installing it by tonight?

Microsoft email said: This promotion ends on January 31, 2013; your product key must be activated no later than February 1, 2013.

bhoup said:   asuka said:   Newslink

Honestly it is the honor system. That said if you bought a Win7 box in October it should qualify.

secstate said:   bhoup said:   asuka said:   Newslink

Honestly it is the honor system. That said if you bought a Win7 box in October it should qualify.

There's no honor system if you use the website which Microsoft has specifically set up to process its $14.95 upgrades. I cannot immediately recall what information Microsoft required to move you through to download at $14.95, but it was definitely no fib-through. I remember because the machine I bought from Dell within the upgrade eligibility period was a Scratch and Dent unit and I recall being concerned that my machine would not be identifiable and relieved when I input my data that Microsoft recognized my purchase as having taken place in November 2012.

BTW, I may be wrong but I think that Jan 31/ Feb 1 IS the deadline for purchasing a machine equipped with Windows 7 that is eligible for the $14.95 Win8 upgrade.

Probably a dumb question, but I can buy the key and install later?

And sales will continue to decrease.....

StinkPot said:   I believe Windows 8 will go the Vista way. Both utter failures!

I agree. I for one do not have time to learn how to get around within Windows all over again. I have had friends who got Windows 8 and did not like it and went back to Windows 7.

I am sure that will boost their sales along with the upcoming 23G Surface Pro.

Classic car salesman tactic - buy now or else... wait until they realize the folly...

If I take advantage of the $14.95 Win8 upgrade that I'm entitled to, can I get a disc so that I can install it in the future if I decide to do so or is it only available as an immediate download? Also, I bought 2 machines and I'm entitled to 2 upgrades. Does anyone know if I have to pay separately for each or can I buy 1 upgrade and use it on both computers? Thanks!

sbracer said:   If I take advantage of the $14.95 Win8 upgrade that I'm entitled to, can I get a disc so that I can install it in the future if I decide to do so or is it only available as an immediate download? Also, I bought 2 machines and I'm entitled to 2 upgrades. Does anyone know if I have to pay separately for each or can I buy 1 upgrade and use it on both computers? Thanks!

You can pay for a DVD at the time of purchase, or burn a DVD yourself (for free) as part of the installation process.

Shame this got moved to Deal Discussion. On another site the same exact OP is trending as a hot deal with almost 25,000 views since midnight :0

anyone having issues w/media center keys? Mine keeps saying it can't process

dcmorrin said:   I am sure that will boost their sales along with the upcoming 23G Surface Pro.
Not sure if you are serious, but you are right. It's a chicken and egg thing -- need a touch OS to sell the hardware and there's no need to upgrade if you do not have touch hardware. I DID buy one 8 pro license for $25, but I have two machines that came with it (one installed and the other as an upgrade). I use a non-touch desktop with 8 everyday and I'm very happy with it. I installed a start button for a short time, but ended up not using it much.

I've used a surface and I like it a lot. If there is a Bluetooth hub for my monitors and other toys, I could learn to love one. Just set it on the desk and start typing on a bt keyboard while video streams to my monitors and sound streams out of my speakers.

Microsoft priced Windows 8 at $39 for upgraders early on for a reason. They need people to embrace the new UI to lure in developers.

There are few features that Windows 8 adds for older systems. BUT, what it does add is improved performance, especially on machines that were force-fed XP long after XP was intended to run on those systems.

For example, I don't want to think of how many 64-bit systems out there run 32-bit XP. Just about all of those would benefit from upgrading to 8.

GreenTrash said:   
There's no honor system if you use the website which Microsoft has specifically set up to process its $14.95 upgrades. I cannot immediately recall what information Microsoft required to move you through to download at $14.95, but it was definitely no fib-through. I remember because the machine I bought from Dell within the upgrade eligibility period was a Scratch and Dent unit and I recall being concerned that my machine would not be identifiable and relieved when I input my data that Microsoft recognized my purchase as having taken place in November 2012.

BTW, I may be wrong but I think that Jan 31/ Feb 1 IS the deadline for purchasing a machine equipped with Windows 7 that is eligible for the $14.95 Win8 upgrade.

I used said website and at least when I registered it was totally the hornor system. I was travelling and just entered from memory my Lenovo purchases and they went through even though I was wrong a lot of the details. Maybe something has changed in the intervening several months but for sure when I did it was totally the honor system. In fact the details they asked for were so non-specific that there would have been no way to map it to my purchases.

secstate said:   GreenTrash said:   

I used said website and at least when I registered it was totally the hornor system. I was travelling and just entered from memory my Lenovo purchases and they went through even though I was wrong a lot of the details. Maybe something has changed in the intervening several months but for sure when I did it was totally the honor system. In fact the details they asked for were so non-specific that there would have been no way to map it to my purchases.

Is there a link to this website?

sbracer said:   If I take advantage of the $14.95 Win8 upgrade that I'm entitled to, can I get a disc so that I can install it in the future if I decide to do so or is it only available as an immediate download? Also, I bought 2 machines and I'm entitled to 2 upgrades. Does anyone know if I have to pay separately for each or can I buy 1 upgrade and use it on both computers? Thanks!

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

If anyone has a spare promo code PM me. Thanks in advance

People might start using the free version if it is too high

Does everyone think software should be free?

So if they can't sell it at $40, who they hell is going to buy it at $200 ????

You will not notice one difference form Media Center 7 to 8.

asuka said:   Newslink

Microsoft will increase pricing for Windows 8 Pro upgrade from $39.99 to $199.99 starting tomorrow. Other Windows 8 licenses will go up similarly.

Also free Media Center feature pack keys (which add Media Center to Windows 8 Pro) will expire at midnight tonight, so activate/grab a key and use it if you haven't already.

Yes, there are Windows 8 threads. This is the only one I've seen that alerts people clearly that the pricing goes up tomorrow.

I'm actually up late right now, upgrading two machines to Windows 8 to make sure I lock in Media Center. Not really a fan of Windows 8, but it does improve DirectX enough to deal with the Metro crudware.

don't bother, they have pretty much written it off link link

also link"Windows Media Player will continue to be available in all editions, but without DVD playback support."

Hollywood seems to be winning.

FrugalFreak said:   asuka said:   Newslink

also link"Windows Media Player will continue to be available in all editions, but without DVD playback support."

Media Center will probably be integrated into the next Xbox, with what's coming to DVR. But today, Media Center is the King Kong of PC DVR.

Genius069 said:   anyone having issues w/media center keys? Mine keeps saying it can't processI got 4 keys, and all 4 worked. I phoned Microsoft about the Feb. 1 deadline for installation, and they said they'd bend on it, including if something went wrong with the Windows 8 installation later on and Media Center had to be reinstalled.

asuka said:   FrugalFreak said:   asuka said:   Newslink

Media Center will probably be integrated into the next Xbox, with what's coming to DVR. But today, Media Center is the King Kong of PC DVR.

so I'm supposed to buy an xbox for WMC? I don't use all MS products contrary to what MS thinks. will it come with internet TV capability? I like watching video and movies on my PC and will continue to keep the software integrated with media within my reach not out of it.

I don't use DVR/PVR, I want a software that can place Netflix, youtube, hulu,etc. other video/streaming video all in a library at tip of my finger. That is why I'm peeved about the internet TV. Seems dark forces are wishing to disconnect entertainment from open platforms to closed ones.

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

says I can get it for 14.99 even on feb 1

mmaf said:   http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

What is the last day for me to register and order the Windows Upgrade Offer?
You must make your qualifying Windows 7 PC purchase prior to January 31, 2013; you must register for the program and subsequently purchase and download the Windows 8 upgrade by February 28, 2013.

miqie said:   mmaf said:   http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

What is the last day for me to register and order the Windows Upgrade Offer?
You must make your qualifying Windows 7 PC purchase prior to January 31, 2013; you must register for the program and subsequently purchase and download the Windows 8 upgrade by February 28, 2013.

True... but media center free upgrade ended yesterday

I submitted my request for a Media Center key last weekend. MS finally sent me one 2:00 AM on Feb. 1st. Tonight, I decided to give the key a try anyways and it worked. Yahoo!

jesrf said:   Probably a dumb question, but I can buy the key and install later?

Yes. Only the free Media Center add on keys expire. Windows licenses expire when Microsoft expires

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014