comcast

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
so, my internet bill got up over $60 for Blast! internet service, my speed via speedtest.net 25 down 3.2 up link

so i shopped around, got a quote from uverse, called comcast and they offered to switch to performance internet for $25, so i kept checking the speed, and no change, so either i was getting hustled, or they're getting hustled

Member Summary

I was in $19.99/mon promotion. Called COMCAST and be offered $49.99 for blast and BASIC TV bundle. and this is the only promotion I can get.

Actually, the 3rd option is that Speedtest is not accurate at all. I just tried it while streaming music. The results were speeds higher than the maximum speed of my service which obviously makes no sense.

The best way to get the best promotions is to call cancellation.

Maybe someone knows something about how to accurately speed test internet. I have Comcast Blast and my speeds were identical using OP's (25 down, 3.2 up) link. Then I googled free speed test and the second result I came up with was http://testinternetspeed.org/ Which is showing me 38 down and 6 up.. Then I tried http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ which is showing me 14 down and 6 up.. Then I tried the next one down which was http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ which showed me 19 down 6 up...... ?????????

FunnyStuff said:   Actually, the 3rd option is that Speedtest is not accurate at all. I just tried it while streaming music. The results were speeds higher than the maximum speed of my service which obviously makes no sense.

care to report the numbers? the max speed of your service or advertised speed of your service? you could be closer to the NOC or not have a lot of clients on your node, i think my advertised speed is 12, can they really allocate bandwidth remotely with cable ?

timx said:   Maybe someone knows something about how to accurately speed test internet. I have Comcast Blast and my speeds were identical using OP's (25 down, 3.2 up) link. Then I googled free speed test and the second result I came up with was http://testinternetspeed.org/ Which is showing me 38 down and 6 up.. Then I tried http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ which is showing me 14 down and 6 up.. Then I tried the next one down which was http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ which showed me 19 down 6 up...... ?????????

my results are the same as yours, for all the tests, on speakeasy my speed was better selecting Seattle over Atlanta, but i'm much closer to atl

The best time to call Comcast is during business hours and select the option to downgrade your service. They may offer you a better deal to keep your services. I have no idea what my speed is and don't know how to test. I do know that if our speed interfers with my husband's online gaming then it is usually immediately brought to my attention. LOL I guess he is my tester.

here are some tips:

* Once a promotion ends, wait one billing cycle to call back
* Call after hours - daytime you will be rerouted to your local business office who would not care less if you cancel
* Try online chat, again late at night

YMMV specially if you don't have Fios available. Recently renewed my $19.99 for 6 months promo... I only have limited basic ($15) as I've found it's much easier to get any promotion with it than without it.

If you get a new speed you should reset your modem & router so they can adjust to it.

unless you are downloading big files from fast servers you won't notice a difference browsing webpages going from 1megabit to 50megabit.

jonsudra said:   unless you are downloading big files from fast servers you won't notice a difference browsing webpages going from 1megabit to 50megabit.

cool story

Do they keep track when you try and 'cancel' your service to get a better rate? I might keep calling until I get the price I want!

Second the 1mb vs 50mb download isn't really that much different.

It's all about low jitter(variability), low ping, and upload speed. Almost nobody will ever even get close to maxing out their download... Some physical can't because the upload is so hampered.

Unless you have business class or the same upload as download speed. Assume you are getting hustled.

Ok I'm gonna step off my high horse now and let the regular programming resume.

comcast is big mess thier service is getting worse since last few years ,i've been on call with them for hours to cancel and they did cofirmed. yet they are charging me on my credit card!

skh12 said:   
care to report the numbers? the max speed of your service or advertised speed of your service? you could be closer to the NOC or not have a lot of clients on your node, i think my advertised speed is 12, can they really allocate bandwidth remotely with cable ?

My service is supposed to be "up to 15". Yet, Speedtest gave me an illogical result of 23. I guess it should not be surprising considering the site advertises Chrome and some registry cleaner that is misleading enough that one might think that installing them would somehow improve one's internet speed.

plenty of speed tests on dslreports you can try, speedtest.net is pretty legit, it picks the NOC closest to you

FunnyStuff said:   skh12 said:   

My service is supposed to be "up to 15". Yet, Speedtest gave me an illogical result of 23. I guess it should not be surprising considering the site advertises Chrome and some registry cleaner that is misleading enough that one might think that installing them would somehow improve one's internet speed.

ganeshwar said:   comcast is big mess thier service is getting worse since last few years ,i've been on call with them for hours to cancel and they did cofirmed. yet they are charging me on my credit card!

Sent us a bill for 60 cents. Lol

But if you pay too much you should get a refund from them, just wait for it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014