• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm looking to buy an iPhone 4s (used, refurbished, is fine as long as it's in very good condition).
I've looked through eBay and Craigslist and just don't feel like a lot is trustworthy.
Are there any sites to buy refurbished ones, ones that were returned and then repaired by Apple or the wireless carrier or something?
I remember seeing a deal recently through Daily Steals or something but missed it.
My provider is Verizon.
Any suggestions for trustworthy channels is appreciated. $250 (approximately) is my budget, give or take some dollars.
Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Did you find what you are looking for?

HappyChemist (Jun. 27, 2013 @ 10:04a) |

I bought one from www.gadgetchest.com.

lcashner (Jul. 17, 2013 @ 2:06p) |

Is gadgetchest.com a reliable website to buy a phone and does the phone come with a clean esn?

csuanduconly1 (Jul. 27, 2013 @ 8:59p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

4s for 250 refurb? Good luck with that...

increase budget or put an S sticker on a 4

If $250 is not reasonable, what would be as I'm willing to increase the price if it's a trustworthy site to purchase it from. Any suggestions where then?

www.glyde.com Just watch them every day. Looks like they have a 16GB white for Sprint for $275 right now. More for others, but they just sell what they have in stock, so you'll have to watch them.

You can try GameStop too. The website is only listing ATT models right now. Don't know if that will work for you. But, if you're buying a phone outright, why not just get an ATT phone and put it on Straight Talk?

Note, that so many people have iphones, and switch to the newest model constantly, your best bet is usually to find someone to buy from personally. Ask around, take a test drive, make an offer.

respdoc said:   www.glade.com

At least it will smell good...?

I need it specifically for Verizon as I'm on a grandfathered plan I don't want to get rid of and Verizon says I have to buy the phone at full price otherwise I lose my plan if I want a discounted device.

I was thinking about posting an inquiry on Facebook to my friends and see if anyone will be getting rid of their phone, just a thought.

buyonsale3 said:   I need it specifically for Verizon as I'm on a grandfathered plan I don't want to get rid of and Verizon says I have to buy the phone at full price otherwise I lose my plan if I want a discounted device.

I was thinking about posting an inquiry on Facebook to my friends and see if anyone will be getting rid of their phone, just a thought.

Prepaid is the new thing, so look into it before you rule it out. It's not for everyone, but might come out ahead in the long run.

Buying from an individual is your best bet. The problem is that people normally sell their current phone when they upgrade, so you have to find someone willing to do you a favor, that is also getting ready to upgrade. Would be a good idea to check the buy price at Amazon, glyde, gazelle, so you'll offer them the right amount. For example, on glyde right now, someone could sell their 16GB Verizon iPhone 4S for about $245. So, you'll need to offer around $250 probably if it is in perfect condition, and tell them they won't have to deal with anyone else, and will have cash in hand.

I bought one 4s for 240 in CowBoom.com just a week back, which seems to trustworthy though they are preowned looks good,you would have an option to retun in 30 days as well,since you might be using your credit card you can always Dispute if you don't like it.

Note : it's not unlocked you can use for AT&T only. however you can unlock if you spend 40 bucks more.

So how does Glyde work? I've never heard of it. How do you know someone is putting it up to sell and then making an offer to them? How is it cash in hand? You meet them in person? Do they guarantee phone not stolen or something?

Infinion said:   buyonsale3 said:   I need it specifically for Verizon as I'm on a grandfathered plan I don't want to get rid of and Verizon says I have to buy the phone at full price otherwise I lose my plan if I want a discounted device.

Prepaid is the new thing, so look into it before you rule it out. It's not for everyone, but might come out ahead in the long run.

Buying from an individual is your best bet. The problem is that people normally sell their current phone when they upgrade, so you have to find someone willing to do you a favor, that is also getting ready to upgrade. Would be a good idea to check the buy price at Amazon, glyde, gazelle, so you'll offer them the right amount. For example, on glyde right now, someone could sell their 16GB Verizon iPhone 4S for about $245. So, you'll need to offer around $250 probably if it is in perfect condition, and tell them they won't have to deal with anyone else, and will have cash in hand.

buyonsale3 said:   So how does Glyde work? I've never heard of it. How do you know someone is putting it up to sell and then making an offer to them? How is it cash in hand? You meet them in person? Do they guarantee phone not stolen or something?

Infinion said:   buyonsale3 said:   I need it specifically for Verizon as I'm on a grandfathered plan I don't want to get rid of and Verizon says I have to buy the phone at full price otherwise I lose my plan if I want a discounted device.

Glyde is online only. I don't know how it works when you sell honestly. I'm sure they have an FAQ though. When I said cash in hand, I was talking about a personal sale. Co-worker, friend, facebook friend, etc. When I said to check online prices, I meant because you'll need to offer them at least what they could sell it to someone else for, or else, they'll just go sell it on glyde, or where ever else.

Edit: Glyde. You list for sale. Someone offers to buy. Glyde send you a shipping kit, and you ship the thing out. When the buyer gets it, you get your money, paper check or bank account I guess.

Gotcha! Thanks!
Infinion said:   buyonsale3 said:   So how does Glyde work? I've never heard of it. How do you know someone is putting it up to sell and then making an offer to them? How is it cash in hand? You meet them in person? Do they guarantee phone not stolen or something?

Glyde is online only. I don't know how it works when you sell honestly. I'm sure they have an FAQ though. When I said cash in hand, I was talking about a personal sale. Co-worker, friend, facebook friend, etc. When I said to check online prices, I meant because you'll need to offer them at least what they could sell it to someone else for, or else, they'll just go sell it on glyde, or where ever else.

Edit: Glyde. You list for sale. Someone offers to buy. Glyde send you a shipping kit, and you ship the thing out. When the buyer gets it, you get your money, paper check or bank account I guess.

Well I started asking around and a friend might be upgrading her phone soon.
However, she has an iPhone 4 on AT&T and I'm on Verizon.
Would that work at all (unlocking or something)?
The information I've read so far on the internet states it won't but I haven't been researching it for too long.
Thanks!

buyonsale3 said:   Well I started asking around and a friend might be upgrading her phone soon.
The information I've read so far on the internet states it won't but I haven't been researching it for too long.
Thanks!

No can do. ATT iPhones won't work on Verizon or Sprint. You can buy a BAD ESN Sprint phone from fleabay and flash it to Verizon. HowardForums have instructions.

Bummer and I could have gotten a great deal from her iPhone. Thanks.

OP, do an unlock on eBay. Took less than a day and $3 for me, switching from ATT to Ptel. Good luck.

verizon iPhone 4 sell for less than gsm phones. I get emails from eBay almost every day with Verizon iPhone 4 for under $200. Buy on eBay and get buyer protection, pay no attention to the as is, no returns policies that sellers have.

16gb Verizon iPhone 4. Seller refurb. 199.95 today only. eBay item 360549112982

I don't know what phone your friend has but a 32gb at&t phone in mint condition can bring $300 on eBay. I have 3 now and am in the market for another one but waiting for a decent find.

With yesterday's release of the new jailbreak the prices may go up.

ach1199 said:   buyonsale3 said:   Well I started asking around and a friend might be upgrading her phone soon.
Thanks!

No can do. ATT iPhones won't work on Verizon or Sprint. You can buy a BAD ESN Sprint phone from fleabay and flash it to Verizon. HowardForums have instructions.

Buy the ATT phone, sell it and use the cash to buy a Verizon one. The GSM version, i.e. ATT, is in higher demand anyone as people from other country can use it once unlocked. The Verizon one only works in the U.S. so has a smaller market.

miserly said:   CowBoom.com

i second CowBoom

Staying with a grandfathered non 4G device, Verizon plan?
It's very likely you're over-paying.

You can bring an iPhone 4S to PagePlus for $12 a month (250min/250text/10MB)
$29: 1200min/3000text 250MB data

UNLIMITED TALK & TEXT:
$39: includes 200MB data
$55: includes 2 GB data

CowBoom Gazelle Glyde are all decent for gently used iPhones.

Thanks but I need the unlimited data for videophone streaming which is what uses up a lot of data.
So I'd like the keep the plan I have.

CowBoom.com. Bought three. Really clean

What does this mean?

"With yesterday's release of the new jailbreak the prices may go up."

myndreamland said:   OP, do an unlock on eBay. Took less than a day and $3 for me, switching from ATT to Ptel. Good luck.

Agree! 3$ i have done as well and it is very easy!

check in Amazon.com warehouse deals. IPHONE4 32GB ATT got it for 209$ during thanks giving. so may be now u can get it around 260 for IPHONE4 and 320 aorund 4S.

Your friends, co workers would be best bet. I bought a used 32 GB ATT compatible iPhone 4S from a co-worker for 300 in cash last week. He was trying to sell it on Gazelle and I talked him out of it. He even got it unlocked for me so that i can use it on Straight Talk. I did look at glide, CowBoom but this way was the best - no taxes shipping etc. and I knew the condition of the phone and borrowed it for a day or two - also normally the seller will throw in all the accessories as well as its of no use to him/her if they are changing phones/platform.

I'm confused now. So can I then by my friend's AT&T iPhone 4 (get it unlocked somehow and how?) and then used on my Verizon service?

mailvips said:   Your friends, co workers would be best bet. I bought a used 32 GB ATT compatible iPhone 4S from a co-worker for 300 in cash last week. He was trying to sell it on Gazelle and I talked him out of it. He even got it unlocked for me so that i can use it on Straight Talk. I did look at glide, CowBoom but this way was the best - no taxes shipping etc. and I knew the condition of the phone and borrowed it for a day or two - also normally the seller will throw in all the accessories as well as its of no use to him/her if they are changing phones/platform.

buyonsale3 said:   I'm confused now. So can I then by my friend's AT&T iPhone 4 (get it unlocked somehow and how?) and then used on my Verizon service?

mailvips said:   Your friends, co workers would be best bet. I bought a used 32 GB ATT compatible iPhone 4S from a co-worker for 300 in cash last week. He was trying to sell it on Gazelle and I talked him out of it. He even got it unlocked for me so that i can use it on Straight Talk. I did look at glide, CowBoom but this way was the best - no taxes shipping etc. and I knew the condition of the phone and borrowed it for a day or two - also normally the seller will throw in all the accessories as well as its of no use to him/her if they are changing phones/platform.

Sorry to have misguided you - I dont think you can use a GSM compatible(at&t/TMo) phone on CDMA (Verizon). I was trying to say that buying from your friends/co-workers would be best bet as compared to buying from glide/gazelle/CowBoom/Amazon etc. Again in my example the phone that I bought was selling for 400+ on CowBoom/Amazon and I got it for 300. Buying from known people worked for me but YMMV. In your case I think you should look for Verizon compatible iPhone (or people with that phone) and buy that.

Totally different ball game if you are willing to go to AT&T's MVNO like Straight Talk or TMO prepaid (which is what I am planning to do) but then you also have to think about network coverage etc. as well. For some reason, as somebody commented, Verizon iphones are selling less than similar at&t iphones.

It is hard to say online shopping can be absolutely trustworthy, however, you can pay more attention to the details and useful reviews by users. In my opinion, big sites are generally more reliable.

No. You don't want an iPhone 4 You want at LEAST an iPhone 4S.

There is nothing wrong with buying from eBay. I bought one from eBay and it still had a long AppleCare Plan left on it. You are covered with PayPal. CowBoom has an excellent return policy.

Yeah, I started to think after I posted this that the 4 is a much older model.

allowingtoo said:   No. You don't want an iPhone 4 You want at LEAST an iPhone 4S.

There is nothing wrong with buying from eBay. I bought one from eBay and it still had a long AppleCare Plan left on it. You are covered with PayPal. CowBoom has an excellent return policy.

When you get your phone you can check your IMEI to make sure it's not reported lost or stolen. http://www.imei.info/

I got an email this morning from CowBoom.

Apple MC676LL/A 16GB Verizon Wireless iPhone 4 - Black $179.99 w/free shipping

allowingtoo said:   No. You don't want an iPhone 4 You want at LEAST an iPhone 4S.

There is no reason not to get an iPhone 4, especially since you stated a price range that pretty much excludes anything newer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Model_comparison

OP stated they wanted the phone for Video Streaming. iPhone 4 has 720p HD vs iPhone 4s which has 1080p HD

Just thought I'd point that out.

Great point! I didn't know there was that difference as well. I thought it was only that Siri feature.

allowingtoo said:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Model_comparison

OP stated they wanted the phone for Video Streaming. iPhone 4 has 720p HD vs iPhone 4s which has 1080p HD

Just thought I'd point that out.

Skipping 9 Messages...
Is gadgetchest.com a reliable website to buy a phone and does the phone come with a clean esn?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014