Untethered iOS 6 Jailbreak - save on tethering

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I do not see it posted and whatever you think about it - it is a good financial deal since 1) it is free 2) when it is done, you can install software to tether your iPhone Internet connection
News: http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/02/04/unte...
Software: http://www.evasi0n.com/
When Cydia is loaded, there are 3 most common programs available for tethering: Pdanet, Tetherme, Mywi

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Be careful tethering without carrier approval.

AT&T has become wise of people tethering on plans that do not include tethering. If you use tethering on an unlimited data plan on AT&T they will force you onto a non-unlimited plan as a penalty. FYI

There is no free tethering with "carrier approval". You may get into troubles when go over 3 GB/month. PdaNet was working great for me with iPhone 4 as a backup Internet. Well, I guess it is a wrong forum

I concur with CraigTNelson, tethering on an AT&T unlimited plan would be foolish. If AT&T catches you and forces you on to a limited plan, you just forfeited about $500. That's the average price that you could get by selling your grandfathered AT&T unlimited LTE plan on eBay.

The process for transferring the account is:
1) Change out your credit card info to a prepaid/gift card that will authorize for $1 as a placeholder and tell the buyer that they must update it with an account that will not get declined when the data plan automatically renews each month. I'd wait until just after a renewal to do this or possibly tell the buyer you've entered a prepaid credit card that has enough funds to pay the next renewal and after that, it's their responsibility to update it with a working credit card.
2) Give the buyer the user name and password to your AT&T account
3) Buyer goes to http://www.att.com/ipadlanding to change out the payment and billing information and email address. I don't know if I'd risk changing the user first and last name, address and telephone; it might be a trigger for AT&T to convert it to a limited plan. They won't send you anything in the mail and the payment information section allows for a different name on the credit card. If you have to call AT&T regarding the plan, just use the prior user's name if asked. I only had to call once when my debit card number changed and I failed to update it before the renewal. AT&T allows a grace period for situations like this, but I have no idea how long it is.
4) Click the Update Device Information on the AT&T web site and enter your iPad's IMEI and ICCID numbers (you get those from your iPad: Settings App: General -> About

Note: I doubt this is condoned by AT&T, but assume that if you were tempted to jailbreak and tether, you're willing to do this (I haven't because I like my unlimited plan and think it's only going to continue to increase in value).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014