AVOID NORTON REBATES Rejecting due to "audit"

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Norton has been voiding many rebates due to "audit".
Submit any rebate at this point for Norton at your own risk.
Seems that possibly more than one rebate a year will trigger an audit and no rebate.
CSR cannot help, has no clue, and says rebate denied.
Google "Norton rebate audit" for info. First hit will take you to SD for more info.
You have been warned. Suggest trying other antivirus software that has legitimate rebate processing. Why trust your pc to someone you can't trust your rebate to ???

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
All of my rebates from the latest Fry's FAR Symantec NIS/Ghost/Utilities offer have been approved. No audit. And I buy t... (more)

ProfitAfterRebates (Mar. 19, 2013 @ 4:23p) |

I wonder if that the 20/year limit is 20 rebate submission on any Symantec products regardless of purchase location. I ... (more)

HTN (Mar. 20, 2013 @ 2:36a) |

These companies are pathetic. Companies advertise different promotions on the same product version every other week or s... (more)

joshy77 (Apr. 02, 2013 @ 10:43p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Through last November I had done over 200 Symantec rebates in the past decade from Staples, Frys, Buy.com, Office Depot, and Newegg with very few problems. In fact I can say without a doubt until then they are the most reliable rebates for a single manufacturer. However I did notice last November that they started adding added verbage in their all rebate TOS stating they reserve the right to reject rebates from suspected resellers. I am guessing the "audit" you are referring to is probably the beginning of Symantec enforcing that new verbage? Since November I have stuck to Norton rebates sold at Staples submitted their their SER system. So far I've had no problems. I received a $50 one yesterday.

mistycoupon said:   Norton has been voiding many rebates due to "audit".
Google "Norton rebate audit" for info.
You have been warned. Suggest trying other antivirus software that has legitimate rebate processing. Why trust your pc to someone you can't trust your rebate to ???

redding your post for lack of info.

did you submit the same rebate twice on the same offer # possibly?

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED to provide info in your post so people understand exactly what's going on.

(what retailer, exact title, circumstances, etc)

Follow instructions.
Google what i told you, first hit.
100's of posts on sd. This place always seems the last to find out.

Thought this was already discussed. Yes, there has been a recent change. Unconfirmed (as of now) as to the exact cause.

respdoc said:   Thought this was already discussed. Yes, there has been a recent change. Unconfirmed (as of now) as to the exact cause.

Maybe buried in a deal somewhere, but it needed to be a topic.
Funny how on sd it has great response but here too many people cant grasp it.
Bye.

mistycoupon said:   respdoc said:   Thought this was already discussed. Yes, there has been a recent change. Unconfirmed (as of now) as to the exact cause.

Bye.

we can grasp it, but if you can't take the time to summarize the issue so people understand, stop whining. The info on SD is not that helpful because as Respdoc says, it may be a glitch right now since no where in the MIR fine print does it say Limit One Per Title Per Year, etc (like the McAfee DOES state).

also, most seem to be from FRY'S purchases (not Staples, OD, etc) which you left out too.

Sure I can create tons of posts in DD telling people to google this and that, but that's not what the DD forum is for. It's to PROVIDE the info, not tell people to search for it.

MISTERCHEAP said:   

we can grasp it, but if you can't take the time to summarize the issue so people understand, stop whining. The info on SD is not that helpful because as Respdoc says, it may be a glitch right now since no where in the MIR fine print does it say Limit One Per Title Per Year, etc (like the McAfee DOES state).

also, most seem to be from FRY'S purchases (not Staples, OD, etc) which you left out too.

Sure I can create tons of posts in DD telling people to google this and that, but that's not what the DD forum is for. It's to PROVIDE the info, not tell people to search for it.

Even though OP didn't explain it..in a nutshell, it looks like during the last few months Norton has been showing a similar pattern to how McAfee did. The rebate processor is stating "did not pass audit" and when questioned..they have been unable to give a firm answer.
Being that I recently moved to a new house (new address)...I haven't personally seen a change in my rebates from them..but it does seem more than just some random noob mistakes causing their change of validation, reading the posts.

MISTERCHEAP said:   mistycoupon said:   respdoc said:   Thought this was already discussed. Yes, there has been a recent change. Unconfirmed (as of now) as to the exact cause.

Bye.

Your on your own next time. I wont even bother here anymore being i have to hold peoples hand through all details.
There are alot of unknowns and u are looking for answers that dont exist.

respdoc said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

Even though OP didn't explain it..in a nutshell, it looks like during the last few months Norton has been showing a similar pattern to how McAfee did. The rebate processor is stating "did not pass audit" and when questioned..they have been unable to give a firm answer.
Being that I recently moved to a new house (new address)...I haven't personally seen a change in my rebates from them..but it does seem more than just some random noob mistakes causing their change of validation, reading the posts.

yes, the didn't pass audit reason is a total roadblock. Can't just chat or email Parago and expect a reversal on those (compared to "missing UPC" or some other common reason). However, the BIG difference I see between this Norton mess and the McAfee is the lack of the wording in the rebate T&C about "Limit One Per Title Per Year" which is indeed missing from the Norton rebates. If challenged by BBB or other high end consumer group (say attorney general in a given state), they'll have a hard time passing muster with the audit reason.

Also, not sure why the Fry's rebates seem to be the issue from what I can read. Since I never do fry's deals, I can't say, but in reading the posts on SD, by far the most common retailer involved is Frys. Maybe one or two Neweggs, not sure, but no Staples or OD that I can tell. In fact, I think Staples still handles any Norton rebate by Easy Rebate. Only McAfee is mail in that I'm aware of. (Same for TrendMicro and Kaspersky, both easy rebate submissions)

MISTERCHEAP said:   However, the BIG difference I see between this Norton mess and the McAfee is the lack of the wording in the rebate T&C about "Limit One Per Title Per Year" which is indeed missing from the Norton rebates.

Do remember though, that when the whole McAfee junk started..they were denying rebates before changing the forms wording.

respdoc said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   However, the BIG difference I see between this Norton mess and the McAfee is the lack of the wording in the rebate T&C about "Limit One Per Title Per Year" which is indeed missing from the Norton rebates.

Do remember though, that when the whole McAfee junk started..they were denying rebates before changing the forms wording.

I see, but still, for these current rejections, can't retroactively add words to a rebate T&C that weren't there when you bought the item. As I say, if a higher player gets involved, they'll likely have to pay out the rebate.

MISTERCHEAP said:   

I see, but still, for these current rejections, can't retroactively add words to a rebate T&C that weren't there when you bought the item. As I say, if a higher player gets involved, they'll likely have to pay out the rebate.

Well...they can...and only after a SC court case...did I get my money back from McAfee.

Again, at this point with Norton, it's just speculation...but can see for the reason to be on alert.

respdoc said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

Well...they can...and only after a SC court case...did I get my money back from McAfee.

Again, at this point with Norton, it's just speculation...but can see for the reason to be on alert.

yes, but you wouldn't have won your SC court case if those words were there to start, correct?

MISTERCHEAP said:   Also, not sure why the Fry's rebates seem to be the issue from what I can read. Since I never do fry's deals, I can't say, but in reading the posts on SD, by far the most common retailer involved is Frys. Maybe one or two Neweggs, not sure, but no Staples or OD that I can tell. In fact, I think Staples still handles any Norton rebate by Easy Rebate. Only McAfee is mail in that I'm aware of. (Same for TrendMicro and Kaspersky, both easy rebate submissions)I think it's just a matter of Frys having the titles FAR more often than Newegg. People are getting rejected on the NIS bundle, which is FAR on an average of once a month at Frys. If there is some new arbitrary limit for the number of copies you can get rebates on per year, it would be easier to hit with something like that. Staples hasn't had any Norton stuff FAR since at least Black Friday, and maybe not even then. OD also doesn't have Norton stuff FAR very often. They might now for their tax software promotion, not sure. Newegg does, but once again, not as often as Frys.

If I had to guess, I'd say that they are claiming that people are reselling them, and the rebate T&C do exclude resellers, since no one would need to buy a dozen (or whatever number they set it to) copies of the same program. That one of our fellow FW'ers went public with their business model for paying for college (selling FAR software) may not have helped.

MISTERCHEAP said:   

yes, but you wouldn't have won your SC court case if those words were there to start, correct?

Maybe..but if it said that disclaimer...I wouldn't have bought them to begin with.

billrubin said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   Also, not sure why the Fry's rebates seem to be the issue from what I can read. Since I never do fry's deals, I can't say, but in reading the posts on SD, by far the most common retailer involved is Frys. Maybe one or two Neweggs, not sure, but no Staples or OD that I can tell. In fact, I think Staples still handles any Norton rebate by Easy Rebate. Only McAfee is mail in that I'm aware of. (Same for TrendMicro and Kaspersky, both easy rebate submissions)I think it's just a matter of Frys having the titles FAR more often than Newegg. People are getting rejected on the NIS bundle, which is FAR on an average of once a month at Frys. If there is some new arbitrary limit for the number of copies you can get rebates on per year, it would be easier to hit with something like that. Staples hasn't had any Norton stuff FAR since at least Black Friday, and maybe not even then. OD also doesn't have Norton stuff FAR very often. They might now for their tax software promotion, not sure. Newegg does, but once again, not as often as Frys.

yes, there are one or two famir Norton's on the OD tax deal currently.

OP, while we might understand the concept of this thread...take it easy...

It might not just be norton...it might be the rebate processor is trying to "help" the compan(ies) providing the rebates. (McAfee, norton, Trend Micro)

mistycoupon said:   Norton has been voiding many rebates due to "audit".
Google "Norton rebate audit" for info.

This is a recent thing...please give it time...(some people who might've submitted norton rebates as recently as early december have received them; while some have encountered what you're mentioning (at least, what I think you're mentioning...your OP is a bit abrupt)

mistycoupon said:   Follow instructions.
Google what i told you, first hit.
100's of posts on sd. This place always seems the last to find out.

100's of posts on sd might not necessarily be a good thing. (There are many reasons why there might be 100's of posts - people don't read and repost or people posting for the heck of it, it doesn't matter) There are lot of threads that have mentioned this possible issue. Even if this deserves a thread of its own, please be nice to the audience. I don't think FW may be the "last to find out," but it always helps to contribute in a constructive and meaningful way.

mistycoupon said:   respdoc said:   Thought this was already discussed. Yes, there has been a recent change. Unconfirmed (as of now) as to the exact cause.

Bye.

"great response" as in....? FW and it's members as a whole have encountered more and because of that, we can afford to look before we jump...and not start screaming.

mistycoupon said:   ...
Your on your own next time. I wont even bother here anymore being i have to hold peoples hand through all details.
There are alot of unknowns and u are looking for answers that dont exist.

OP, to be taken seriously, please remember that common courtesy and spell-checking is helpful. We hear you. Have a nice day.

Pot Roast
Disclaimer
MISTERCHEAP said:   jaimelobo said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   don't let the door hit you on the way out!Hey MISTERCHEAP, were you watching Bewitched on ME TV last night?

LOL, no I wasn't...why? was Uncle Arthur on?
He was in the Pot Roast on the stove.

Just a heads-up that my contact with Symantec Corporate indicated a limit of 20/year. No definition of "year" was provided (rolling vs. calendar).

squinky86 said:   Just a heads-up that my contact with Symantec Corporate indicated a limit of 20/year. No definition of "year" was provided (rolling vs. calendar).

Would have been nice if the rebate forms specified that limit before we cut out the UPC's and sent in the rebates only to have them come back as invalid.

If you're not a reseller, then why on Earth would you be buying 20 pieces of the same software per year?

All of my rebates from the latest Fry's FAR Symantec NIS/Ghost/Utilities offer have been approved. No audit. And I buy this just about every time Fry's offers it FAR. Latest ones were mailed on March 6.

I wonder if that the 20/year limit is 20 rebate submission on any Symantec products regardless of purchase location. I can't imagine they would condone someone purchasing 20 copies of NIS, 20 copies of N360, etc. at Newegg and repeating the same thing over at Frys. Either way, they should just update their rebate T&C so everyone is aware of the limits before purchasing.

These companies are pathetic. Companies advertise different promotions on the same product version every other week or so with various merchants to move inventory that most would not buy and to increase sales. Companies don't advertise rebates weekly with a free rebate and expect everyone to actually use the product is BS. They advertise these rebates for a number of reasons (to increase sales, move inventory, and to make money on the fools that forget to mail their rebate because statistics show 60% of rebates go unclaimed). Why don't these pathetic companies state the real reasons they advertise rebates on a regular basis? It is the same reason why most companies switched to issuing debit cards instead of checks because they cam make even more MONEY on the fools that forget to use their rebate debit cards.

Symantec probably validated their rebates because they didn't have a case after the Attorney General and Federal Trade Commission were probably nailed with complaints. Symantec can't change the limit terms of a rebate after a rebate was already advertised. Symantec is still going to allow everyone to do their rebates but have a restriction on the total claims submitted per year for future rebates regardless of what the customer does with the product that they had "purchased." If they didn't want repeated customers to do different rebates on the same product version, why didn't they ever just advertise one rebate number for each different product version per merchant if they wanted to limit it's customers submitting numerous rebates? Because it is a "huge money maker" for them and it increases sales.

Now for Kaspersky. When Kaspersky advertises it's rebates with Staples, the limits usually is 5 or 10 products per offer. Why you ask? Because as I said, it moves inventory and increases sales. If they are playing the audit games now, that is BS. No one "end user" needs that many copies per year. These companies never cared if the customer used the product or not. If they did, they move have installation of the product as one of the requirements of a rebate. They cared about one thing - making MONEY.

These rebate companies with are rejecting rebates and not paying what the customer is entitled to is not right. If status-now is starting to reject rebates and not pay out, everyone needs to files complaints. These companies and rebate centers do this in hopes that the customer crawls under a rock and does nothing.

Don't just crawl under a rock do nothing. Everyone file complaints with the AG AND the FTC. What these comnpanies are trying to get away with is complete BS. Change will be made if everyone files complaints with BOTH.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014