• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Majority of the time, actually. USPS does a wonderful job with consistency. They would like to remain profitable but h... (more)

vegetation (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 6:56p) |

I agree with you on most of what you said, except the rural population POs. The bulk of those have no other package or m... (more)

topsales (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 8:19p) |

Those rural areas don't have wally world's either. What do they do when they want to go to a wally world? They should ... (more)

Mickie3 (Feb. 08, 2013 @ 7:52a) |

No change to package delivery (First Class packets may be held back)
"The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion, the financially struggling agency says."

Still open on Saturdays and no change to PO box delivery
"Under the new plan, mail would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/postal-service-cut-saturday-mail-trim-costs-article-1.1256546#ixzz2K8W2H0xJ
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What's the impact for eBay sellers?

The agency will continue to deliver packages six days a week, since the popularity of package delivery has increased even as mail delivery has dwindled

frenchy said:   What's the impact for eBay sellers?

The agency will continue to deliver packages six days a week, since the popularity of package delivery has increased even as mail delivery has dwindled

I cannot see a huge impact, with the exception some small lightweight items are shipped via first class mail. I have ordered some replacement glass and LCD screens for mobile phones, iPod, etc. Those almost always come via first class mail. Because it's very cheap to ship those. Last one I remember was a very small/thin card board box, and showed a postage rate of about $0.75 or so.

Great. Now how do I get my letter carrier to turn off his cell phone long enough to deliver the right mail to the right house. A kindergartner could do a better job. Sheese!

frenchy said:   What's the impact for eBay sellers?

talking about flats/first class mail. you'd be surprised how many items (DVD's/CD's, Concert Tix, Coupons, Gift Cards, etc fall into the Saturday non-delivery category) Packages would likely have to be PARCEL POST OR PRIORITY MAIL PACKAGES (as opposed to priority mail envelopes).

Yes, it does have an impact on time sensitive items like coupons or gift cards or theatre tickets, etc...if the Monday after is a Federal Holiday, can delay a shipment by 3 xtra days now.

MISTERCHEAP said:   frenchy said:   What's the impact for eBay sellers?

talking about flats/first class mail. you'd be surprised how many items (DVD's/CD's, Concert Tix, Coupons, Gift Cards, etc fall into the Saturday non-delivery category) Packages would likely have to be PARCEL POST OR PRIORITY MAIL PACKAGES (as opposed to priority mail envelopes).

Yes, it does have an impact on time sensitive items like coupons or gift cards or theatre tickets, etc...if the Monday after is a Federal Holiday, can delay a shipment by 3 xtra days now.

I don't see much impact...if it's time sensitive then ship priority or express otherwise business as usual.

greatdeals_007 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   frenchy said:   What's the impact for eBay sellers?

I don't see much impact...if it's time sensitive then ship priority or express otherwise business as usual.

C'mon, buyers aren't going to want to add $6 in shipping costs for priority. Huge difference between a .46 stamp and $6 for priority mail.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
C'mon, buyers aren't going to want to add $6 in shipping costs for priority. Huge difference between a .46 stamp and $6 for priority mail.

so if anything it'll affect buyers a lot more then sellers imo

yelve said:   

Obviously depends on the seller...and if their items (or they state their items) are under 13 oz.

yelve said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

well both....

some people will shy away from auctions due to the high ship cost or sellers will have to be clear about shipment times to avoid Paypal disputes for late received merchandise (say tickets or gift cards that you needed by a deadline, etc).

Also, auctions that close on Friday or Sat can't ship out to Monday now for many sellers (if they are just mailing stuff from their personal mailbox as opposed to driving to the PO).

miqie said:   Great. Now how do I get my letter carrier to turn off his cell phone long enough to deliver the right mail to the right house. A kindergartner could do a better job.

Our long-time carrier left, and it's been the same nonsense ever since.

uh, shouldn't this have been tried BEFORE raising price of postage???

Why wouldn't they have elected for a day like Wednesday instead of putting the off-days back to back.

problem for low cost items - specially if you can ship them 1st class letter, even with non-machine readable (ie cardboard envelopes). But then again, these are non trackable, and therefore a risk for them to get 'lost'.

When was the last time you heard anything good from USPS? Seriously, don't red me, when?

The postal service is glorified welfare.

miqie said:   The postal service is glorified welfare.

USPS is the precursor of what the US government is/will be. Keep voting for free money, folks, keep voting for legalized money laundry and ponzi schmes, till the day of reckoning. When there's no one else to blame, there's always a God to blame, right?

miqie said:   The postal service is glorified welfare.

US gov doesn't provide the post office with any funding.

Invest in UPS.

I felt fully ripped off for the first time ever last time I went to the USPS a few days ago.

Had to mail 2 concert tickets. Just planning to send them an in envelope, pay about .50 (whatever first class mail costs these days - every time I go, it goes up), and send tracking or delivery confirmation something. Just *something* - anything - to show that I had really shipped. I was expecting to pay about $1 for one of those green tracking things or Delivery Conf. or something and .50ish for the mailing. About $1.50.

I walked out of that post office spending $6!?!?! She said the only way to send with a tracking number now is with Priority or some nonsense. I tried several times to ask for anything even remotely like that service for the $2-3 level. There was nothing.

Just seems like the prices there are going up too much. Way out of control. Always costing more for less everywhere. When will it stop?

You can only send 1st class with tracking if you do it online, but not through the USPS web site.....

linatom said:   When was the last time you heard anything good from USPS? Seriously, don't red me, when?

Whichever SOB redded me is a SOB. You know who you are! Red me for the sake of redding me. Yay~!

cashistrash said:   You can only send 1st class with tracking if you do it online, but not through the USPS web site.....Online meaning how exactly if not via USPS web site? Something like Stamps.com? eBay? Asking as like the previous poster, I was at a PO affiliate the other day and they said could not get confirmation delivery if I used an envelope with First Class postage. Had to use Priority package or some such thing.

Print it online and the total is $1.69 shipped w/ delivery conf. Don't even need to leave the house.

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   I felt fully ripped off for the first time ever last time I went to the USPS a few days ago.

Had to mail 2 concert tickets. Just planning to send them an in envelope, pay about .50 (whatever first class mail costs these days - every time I go, it goes up), and send tracking or delivery confirmation something. Just *something* - anything - to show that I had really shipped. I was expecting to pay about $1 for one of those green tracking things or Delivery Conf. or something and .50ish for the mailing. About $1.50.

I walked out of that post office spending $6!?!?! She said the only way to send with a tracking number now is with Priority or some nonsense. I tried several times to ask for anything even remotely like that service for the $2-3 level. There was nothing.

Just seems like the prices there are going up too much. Way out of control. Always costing more for less everywhere. When will it stop?

mathfaster said:   cashistrash said:   You can only send 1st class with tracking if you do it online, but not through the USPS web site.....Online meaning how exactly if not via USPS web site? Something like Stamps.com? eBay? Asking as like the previous poster, I was at a PO affiliate the other day and they said could not get confirmation delivery if I used an envelope with First Class postage. Had to use Priority package or some such thing.

You can add tracking/dc to 1st class mail either online or at the PO.

Only requirement to add tracking/DC is the "package" be at least 3/4" thick.

It's true you cannot add tracking/DC to a first class "letter" (under 3/4" thick)

If you really want to send an item under 3/4" thick and don't want to add a little something (ie. Packing Peanut) to the envelope then you need to upgrade to Priority Mail as there are not thickness requirements.

I'm the first (or third) to say this is odd, but it's the USPS and has been this way for many many years.

kvs25 said:   miqie said:   The postal service is glorified welfare.

US gov doesn't provide the post office with any funding.

Just a monopoly and a $15 billion loan...

Now my Netflix one DVD at a time will be less valuable

One less day to get bills and junk mail. Think we will all live.

yelve said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

what the F can you do with 46 cents these days??
a candy bar from vending machine is 1 dollar!
a can of soda from vending machine is 90 cents! (atleast in my work place).
i say raise the stamp to 99 cents!

miqie said:   Great. Now how do I get my letter carrier to turn off his cell phone long enough to deliver the right mail to the right house. A kindergartner could do a better job. Sheese!

The postal delivery guys and gals in my neighborhood are extremely efficient. In fact, they are so efficient that they are able to complete their deliveries in the morning and sit at the end of our cul de sac (protected from view by a freeway overpass) and play cards, etc. for the remaining 3 hours or so of their shift. They did this for the last 4 years. But during the last 4 months or so, they are rarely at the end of our cul de sac. Either they found a better hiding place or are worried about possible job cuts. I seriously doubt it is the latter, but I suppose anything is possible in this economy.

MISTERCHEAP said:   yelve said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

well both....

some people will shy away from auctions due to the high ship cost or sellers will have to be clear about shipment times to avoid Paypal disputes for late received merchandise (say tickets or gift cards that you needed by a deadline, etc).

Also, auctions that close on Friday or Sat can't ship out to Monday now for many sellers (if they are just mailing stuff from their personal mailbox as opposed to driving to the PO).

your over thinking this whole thing. now that we know there is no delivery on saturday you just make the necessary adjustment ot your listings. the probability that buyers are also aware of the USPS announcement is very high so they know if they order something on friday that you are probably not going to ship it out until monday or tuesday. you can even state that in your listings.

Now on to finding fatwallet deals!

i find it funny the news was asking what ppl think about this. it doesn't matter cause the FACT is they don't have money to keep it open.

and i was thinking they should pick Wednesday too instead of back to back closed days.

If you want to send a First Class letter and prove that the recipient got it, simply pay $1.25 for Return Receipt via email. While you cannot track it, you will get proof it was received and the signature of the person receiving it.

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   I felt fully ripped off for the first time ever last time I went to the USPS a few days ago.

You needed either a certificate of mailing ($1.20) or certified mail ($3.10) see https://www.usps.com/send/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

Gotta do a little research first...

Don't like it, email usps.com.

rowdy117 said:   Why wouldn't they have elected for a day like Wednesday instead of putting the off-days back to back.

because it is a business day, not delivering mail on a Wednesday would wreck havoc on companies that rely on USPS to delivery statements, payments, etc.

netnerd said:   yelve said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

what the F can you do with 46 cents these days??
a candy bar from vending machine is 1 dollar!
a can of soda from vending machine is 90 cents! (atleast in my work place).
i say raise the stamp to 99 cents!

Just make it $1 even with all other products in $1 increments, and only accept dollar coins. Would solve the mint's issue with circulating dollar coins and the USPS issue. And maybe even help in the elimination of the penny and nickle.

It just become privatized like Europe. USPS is a joke!

A little off-topic...but still shipping related. I just logged into my Fed-ex account and got this message:

Mardi Gras is causing delays in AL, FL and LA.

Now I understand weather delays...but partying delays seem to be a whole different matter

Skipping 3 Messages...
topsales said:   vegetation said:   linatom said:   When was the last time you heard anything good from USPS? Seriously, don't red me, when?

Majority of the time, actually. USPS does a wonderful job with consistency. They would like to remain profitable but hindered by Congressional approval on all kinds of stupid things that no private company would have any chance of dealing with. All they need to do is close down half of all the post offices out there, majority of which serve very small rural populations, and do projects such as expand one of their most profitable ventures - PO BOXES, by building more and having private carriers be able to deliver to it. Congress is to blame here, not USPS.

I agree with you on most of what you said, except the rural population POs. The bulk of those have no other package or mail service, as UPS or FedEx will not deliver to many rural areas. I use to live in one.

If I am correct Congress IS issue. They require USPS to pre-pay into pension funds, they won't allow them to charge what it costs to deliver mail and they have to go to Congress for just about everything they do. All this with no federal help. Essentially they are mandated to provide a service they are guaranteed to lose money at.

Those rural areas don't have wally world's either. What do they do when they want to go to a wally world? They should do the same thing on the rare occasions that they have a package to pick up at the post office (they can always get packages from rural carrier as my carrier delivers EVERYTHING that is mailable.) No sense in all these "towns" of 25 having a post office just so they can be close to one. The bigger abuse that I see than those offices are the "sorting facilities" that are in any town over a few thousand when there is another one within 100 miles. Snail mail volume is down. Sorting is electronically done for the most part now and trucks can do over 20 MPH most places now. No sense in having all these offices and facilities all over that were put there in the horse and buggy days. (Grew up in a state with 120 counties, was set up like that so you could walk to and from courthouse in 1 day. Same for postal offices, they are still set up for those on horses.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014