• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
linatom said:   When was the last time you heard anything good from USPS? Seriously, don't red me, when?

Majority of the time, actually. USPS does a wonderful job with consistency. They would like to remain profitable but hindered by Congressional approval on all kinds of stupid things that no private company would have any chance of dealing with. All they need to do is close down half of all the post offices out there, majority of which serve very small rural populations, and do projects such as expand one of their most profitable ventures - PO BOXES, by building more and having private carriers be able to deliver to it. Congress is to blame here, not USPS.

vegetation said:   linatom said:   When was the last time you heard anything good from USPS? Seriously, don't red me, when?

Majority of the time, actually. USPS does a wonderful job with consistency. They would like to remain profitable but hindered by Congressional approval on all kinds of stupid things that no private company would have any chance of dealing with. All they need to do is close down half of all the post offices out there, majority of which serve very small rural populations, and do projects such as expand one of their most profitable ventures - PO BOXES, by building more and having private carriers be able to deliver to it. Congress is to blame here, not USPS.

I agree with you on most of what you said, except the rural population POs. The bulk of those have no other package or mail service, as UPS or FedEx will not deliver to many rural areas. I use to live in one.

If I am correct Congress IS issue. They require USPS to pre-pay into pension funds, they won't allow them to charge what it costs to deliver mail and they have to go to Congress for just about everything they do. All this with no federal help. Essentially they are mandated to provide a service they are guaranteed to lose money at.

topsales said:   vegetation said:   linatom said:   When was the last time you heard anything good from USPS? Seriously, don't red me, when?

I agree with you on most of what you said, except the rural population POs. The bulk of those have no other package or mail service, as UPS or FedEx will not deliver to many rural areas. I use to live in one.

If I am correct Congress IS issue. They require USPS to pre-pay into pension funds, they won't allow them to charge what it costs to deliver mail and they have to go to Congress for just about everything they do. All this with no federal help. Essentially they are mandated to provide a service they are guaranteed to lose money at.

Those rural areas don't have wally world's either. What do they do when they want to go to a wally world? They should do the same thing on the rare occasions that they have a package to pick up at the post office (they can always get packages from rural carrier as my carrier delivers EVERYTHING that is mailable.) No sense in all these "towns" of 25 having a post office just so they can be close to one. The bigger abuse that I see than those offices are the "sorting facilities" that are in any town over a few thousand when there is another one within 100 miles. Snail mail volume is down. Sorting is electronically done for the most part now and trucks can do over 20 MPH most places now. No sense in having all these offices and facilities all over that were put there in the horse and buggy days. (Grew up in a state with 120 counties, was set up like that so you could walk to and from courthouse in 1 day. Same for postal offices, they are still set up for those on horses.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014