Dish 211k receiver?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Looking to upgrade to a Dish 211k receiver so I can have a free DVR/OTA. They want $150. Any better deals out there other than eBay/CL

Out of contract, but dish won't offer me any deals better than my $15 Welcome package.

Member Summary

Call their retentions department; threaten to disconnect the service...you will find that they will bend over backwards for you

Personnal said:   Call their retentions department; threaten to disconnect the service...you will find that they will bend over backwards for you

tried chatting with "loyalty" already. They wouldn't budge on raising my $15 Welcome package to HD $39 mo

I just want get the 211k I'll get OTA HD, DVR and maybe better clarity on the $15 Welcome package

I'll try calling loyalty tomorrow, but Got 1 on eBay for $75 just in case... See if I can do better.

I got them to waive the external hdd fee, they want $40. I had to call back a few times.

dssproxy said:   I got them to waive the external hdd fee, they want $40. I had to call back a few times.

Good deal, I'll try that. I've tried chatting 3 times. but sounds like I'll have better luck calling.

I just wanted written confirmation since I've heard about their sketchy CSRs. Can they email the details instantly while on the phone?

Best # to call?

How is the DVR menu quality? Good search ability or something like TiVos season pass?

I had the 501 until Dish started charging a fee.. so I can only say it is very similar, I like that I can record OTA so in a small sense it is like a dual DVR.. 888-333-DISH no retention, just asked. I would avoid a newer seagate HDD as mine beeps every 5 minutes when the STB is off.. 211 is a win for me, think you will like not having the DVR fee.. Dish gave me a freebie for a 1 year contract extension.

dssproxy said:    Dish gave me a freebie for a 1 year contract extension.

Wow!.. I have a $15 mo. package (was $10). wonder if I can get it for free for a contract extension? I'll call tomm.

Did you try chatting?

Does the receiver output both on HDMI and composite (I'll attach a sender to composite to make it a dual receiver)

You do realize that the 211 is NOT a DVR, don't you?

Mickie3 said:   You do realize that the 211 is NOT a DVR, don't you?

You do realize you don't know what you are talking about don't you..

Compatible HD receivers that can be converted into an HD DVR with an external hard drive include the ViP 211, 211k or DISH 411.

vickh said:   Does the receiver output both on HDMI and composite (I'll attach a sender to composite to make it a dual receiver)
I am pretty sure it does output both at the same time, but it's the same feed.

dssproxy said:   
Compatible HD receivers that can be converted into an HD DVR with an external hard drive include the ViP 211, 211k or DISH 411.

do any of the others have any better features?

vickh said:   dssproxy said:   

do any of the others have any better features?

Pretty sure that they are identical in features, the 411 is old (no Ethernet port)

dssproxy said:   Mickie3 said:   You do realize that the 211 is NOT a DVR, don't you?

You can frankenstein it to work as a single tuner DVR (plus OTA if you buy yet another add-on), but it is simply BS to say it is a native DVR.

[i/The ViP 211k is a great choice for anyone looking for a basic HD receiver for tailgating or for an extra room.the 211k is an economical yet powerful high-definition receiver for both satellite and over-the air applications (over-the-air requires a separate module.) It is compatible with the Dish Tailgater system.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=dish211k&d=dish-network-v...

Yes, you can make it a DVR by adding an external drive (that you get to buy) AND you still get to pay dish to allow you to use it. $40 to Dish, plus cost of drive.
Also, you get to buy an add-on so that you can receive OTA channels with it as well. Forget how much they charge for that.
If I were the OP, would get a system that didn't need 2 add-ons and would serve as a dual-tuner (without counting OTA.)

Mickie3 said:   dssproxy said:   Mickie3 said:   You do realize that the 211 is NOT a DVR, don't you?

You can frankenstein it to work as a single tuner DVR (plus OTA if you buy yet another add-on), but it is simply BS to say it is a native DVR.

[i/The ViP 211k is a great choice for anyone looking for a basic HD receiver for tailgating or for an extra room.the 211k is an economical yet powerful high-definition receiver for both satellite and over-the air applications (over-the-air requires a separate module.) It is compatible with the Dish Tailgater system.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=dish211k&d=dish-network-v...

Yes, you can make it a DVR by adding an external drive (that you get to buy) AND you still get to pay dish to allow you to use it. $40 to Dish, plus cost of drive.
Also, you get to buy an add-on so that you can receive OTA channels with it as well. Forget how much they charge for that.
If I were the OP, would get a system that didn't need 2 add-ons and would serve as a dual-tuner (without counting OTA.)

No need to get anything for OTA, just plug your antenna into the receiver.. Dish is good about waiving fees, I have 2 211s and never paid the $40 fee. Seems like a bargain over paying a monthly DVR fee.. This site is dedicated to saving money isn't it?

It records OTA and a Sat channel at the same time... while watching a recorded program, pretty robust.

I'd rather have an external drive (already have 1) that I can easily FW upgrade. My concern is mainly lower mo. fee.

Does the 222k have DVR ability?

If not the debate is basically b/t 211 and 211k and the best way to obtain it if I can't Dish to give me a free u/g

BTW thx dssproxy for all your helpful replies!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014