• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm not sure which forum this sort of thread should go in, but I hope this will remain in deal discussion becuase this is less of a technical question and more of cost value question.

A family member will be needing a new phone to use on pageplus.

I love my palm pixi plus, but I think that the phone is beyond discontinued (are the "new" ones that are still selling for ~$50 right now stlll decent or are all of the ones being sold now have questionable qualities?)

Because of that, I'm wondering what might be next best value phone after the palm pixi plus.

So far, I've only seen people saying the Droid X(2?)


Replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this post.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The price difference between the Huawei phone at PagePlus and at ST had caused me to ask PPC CSRs previously. ST has a ... (more)

horizon6 (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 7:36a) |

Per PPC CSR, needs to be a Vz "contract" (not pre-paid) 3G phone to activate on PPC. ST Vz phones would generally not b... (more)

horizon6 (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 10:51a) |

Not PP, but S*print makes a move. Comments?

horizon6 (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 1:11p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Another inquire wants to know.

How about the various Samsung phones?

Also, where are people buying their phones for use of PagePlusCellular?

Any dissatisfaction with PPC?

Buy refurb or used on eBay. Those are pretty much your only options, other than full price not subsidized via Amazon for example.

CowBoom can have some good phones, i have the droidx, nothing negative to report for PP, been very satisfied, i have the 55

rumor has it that 4G will be available on PP end of next month

rsuaver said:   Buy refurb or used on eBay. Those are pretty much your only options, other than full price not subsidized via Amazon for example.

Thanks for the answer.

So, buy used/refurb on eBay...but what phone is recommended even if I do venture onto eBay?


Any dissatisfaction with PPC?


I can't answer the first 2 questions, but I can answer (FWIW) about this one...I've started using pageplus over 2 years ago, and never regretted making the switch from verizon. I buy an $80 PIN (usually) from callingmart when they have a 5% discount and the PIN (after it's applied to your pageplus account) lasts for one year. The money/time doesn't expire...just remember to reload when you've either used up your money/time or by "renewal" date. I roughly use $25/yr (I turn off data on my palm pixi plus and use wifi)

CowBoom can have some good phones, i have the droidx, nothing negative to report for PP, been very satisfied, i have the 55

Thank you!

howard forums will have good information on which model phones people like

skh12 said:   
rumor has it that 4G will be available on PP end of next month


Where did you hear this?

I bought a 2 phone auction on eBay. I bought to use the Motorola Droid but wound up liking the HTC Incredible much better. I don't know if it's everywhere, but here the is a local facebook trading/selling site. People are constantly selling their used phones for decent prices.

I use craigslist. but verizon (CDMA) is a little more tricky as you cannot just pop in a SIM,
You may find a decent dealer in your area to sell you a phone and/or service for a fair price.

I just switched from PP to a corporate ATT plan, I used a Droid X2, my wife used the Incredible 2
both phones were good, and are the best phones for PP right now until they get 4G (i wouldn't hold my breath) but are so slow compared to newer devices.

if you are in raleigh, i can sell you either of them

and howard forum is a pretty good place to look for advice, but again the x2 and inc2 are the top 3g phones right now.

iPhone 4. Works great.

skh12 said:   CowBoom can have some good phones, i have the droidx, nothing negative to report for PP, been very satisfied, i have the 55

rumor has it that 4G will be available on PP end of next month


Don't say that, I just bought a Nexus 4 to go to Straight Talk due to no 4g phones on PP. By the way, I am currently using a droid x from CowBoom. It looked brand new!

Bought bad ESN Sprint iPhone4 off of eBay and flashed it to Verizon then activated it on PP. Bad ESN Sprint iphones are cheaper than unlocked Verizon iphones.

bhoup said:   skh12 said:   
rumor has it that 4G will be available on PP end of next month


Where did you hear this?


i believe it was howard forums, possibly kitty wireless forums, but it makes sense, they are rolling out a bigger data package this month also (5GB) plan

Brought a droid 2 from eBay and after 2 days it was not working due to virus , did factory hard reset but no use, sending it back for refund but not sure whether I will be able to recover pageplus amount I have paid. I would say start pageplus with $10 prepaid and after some days you can add more amount to your prepaid account

bhoup said:   skh12 said:   
rumor has it that 4G will be available on PP end of next month


Where did you hear this?


is it reliable? i don't know

ach1199 said:   Bought bad ESN Sprint iPhone4 off of eBay and flashed it to Verizon then activated it on PP. Bad ESN Sprint iphones are cheaper than unlocked Verizon iphones.

what's a "bad ESN Sprint" phone? I thought if something has a bad ESN, it's no good...unless it's carrier specific?

Also, is a droid 2 a droid X2? Thanks for the answers so far.

Droid incredible 2. Got it from cl.

IPhone 4s works fine as well.

Droid incredible from swappa.com

megaFat said:   Brought a droid 2 from eBay and after 2 days it was not working due to virus , did factory hard reset but no use, sending it back for refund but not sure whether I will be able to recover pageplus amount I have paid. I would say start pageplus with $10 prepaid and after some days you can add more amount to your prepaid account
just do an ESN swap to another phone, you wont lose anything.

ach1199 said:   Bought bad ESN Sprint iPhone4 off of eBay and flashed it to Verizon then activated it on PP. Bad ESN Sprint iphones are cheaper than unlocked Verizon iphones.
There are no such things as "unlocked" verizon iPhone.

GSM, yes, but it takes all of 5 minutes to unlock. Verizon iPhones are all usable on Page Plus IF you don't get a bad ESN.

My vote is iPhone 4 or 4S but that's just to make my life easy. I have used HTC One V after flashing, Droid Incredible sucks in my opinion, cheap junk. Palm Pixi is so out of date it's not even funny.

Another option is a cheap iPhone 3G or 3GS then unlock it via AT&T to use with any GSM service.

Again!!!! Verizon=no unlock needed

keaton85 said:   megaFat said:   Brought a droid 2 from eBay and after 2 days it was not working due to virus , did factory hard reset but no use, sending it back for refund but not sure whether I will be able to recover pageplus amount I have paid. I would say start pageplus with $10 prepaid and after some days you can add more amount to your prepaid account
just do an ESN swap to another phone, you wont lose anything.


Thank you

Razr maxx on pageplus has been great. Just need reseller to activate it and voice txt work instantly. I got 3g working most of the time too but don't need it other them emergency for navigation. Even at 1yr old the maxx lasts all day/night

VivYip said:   ach1199 said:   Bought bad ESN Sprint iPhone4 off of eBay and flashed it to Verizon then activated it on PP. Bad ESN Sprint iphones are cheaper than unlocked Verizon iphones.

what's a "bad ESN Sprint" phone? I thought if something has a bad ESN, it's no good...unless it's carrier specific?

Also, is a droid 2 a droid X2? Thanks for the answers so far.


Bad ESN Sprint phone means that the phone was reported lost, stolen or the person stopped paying to Sprint, so Sprint blocks that phone's ESN on their network for future activation. However, since that ESN only exist in the Sprint's database and not Verizon's, the phone can be activated on Verizon's network provided you flash to Verizon first.

VivYip said:   
I love my palm pixi plus, but I think that the phone is beyond discontinued (are the "new" ones that are still selling for ~$50 right now stlll decent or are all of the ones being sold now have questionable qualities?)


Palm Pixi is still a great phone for those who want a small smartphone. They are sold new in box with warranty for about $40. And HP still updates apps. You get.
- calendar/email synch with Google/Hotmail
- music player
- induction charger for extra $10 (very convenient)
- facebook, twitter
- decent camera - ok, that's probably its weakest spot.
- navigation (with data plan)

Yes, their cell data connection is slow, but you are asking for "value", correct? WiFi sync is sufficient for my needs.

I had a Palm and it sucked, apps are few and far between compared to android and screen tiny, battery life horrible when using wifi/3g. HP got rid of google maps, which made me mad.

Droid 3 was one of the last rolled out, there is also the Droid X2, Droid Incredible 2 which are also supposed to be good. Stay away from the HTC Rhyme, nothing but garbage. I have bought a phone off swappa not too long and had a positive experience.

HTC Eris is an oldie but a good old Android phone. Not as fast as a DInc or Droid but it depends if you want a phone or a smartphone...

Been using page plus 2 years...best value out there. Recently changed from palm pre plus (not recommended) to droid incredible......the droid is excellent.
Look on eBay daily deals for 52.00 refurbished ....or bid for a clean used one on eBay.

Refurb Motorola Droid Pro XT610 Verizon Wireless Android WiFi GPS 5MP Camera Cell Phone

$49.95 eBay item number 170897540033

quaspeck said:   Been using page plus 2 years...best value out there. Recently changed from palm pre plus (not recommended) to droid incredible......the droid is excellent.
Look on eBay daily deals for 52.00 refurbished ....or bid for a clean used one on eBay.


Comments on any of the following please:

1. Any need to flash VZ phone to PagePlus Cellular use?
2. Any limitation of data use with flashed phones?
3. Choice of flashing software? Dealers do it?
4. Can HTC and/or Motorola Droid phones be used on any PPC plan or is a certain "level" plan required; "data"?
5. PPC vs. ST?

Thanks.

horizon6 said:   

Comments on any of the following please:

1. Any need to flash VZ phone to PagePlus Cellular use?

I think it's a no. If it's a boring phone (like porting your verizon phone over the pageplus, then after the porting, then your phone will not change...it might still say verizon...it's just on pageplus now


2. Any limitation of data use with flashed phones?
it might depend on the phone (I honestly don't know on this one)


3. Choice of flashing software? Dealers do it?

dealers probably do it...or check howard forums


4. Can HTC and/or Motorola Droid phones be used on any PPC plan or is a certain "level" plan required; "data"?

I've never used these phones before, but I think if a person keeps the data setting "off," any pageplus plan should be okay. I think. (As i said before, I don't have firsthand experience...sorry)


5. PPC vs. ST?
pageplus gets my vote (due to my lack of knowledge and I think there's not as much exposure on Straight Talk yet on FW)

(i looked at this thread again because I was curious if any of the phones mentioned here are mentioned here: http://androidcommunity.com/galaxy-nexus-was-just-the-start-verizon-end-of-life-comes-for-many-20130128/ I'm still learning about what "end of life" means for a cellphone...I wish it meant it's being discontinued and will be cheaper...but I doubt it. yes, wishful thinking on my part...oh well)

VivYip said:   horizon6 said:   

Comments on any of the following please:

1. Any need to flash VZ phone to PagePlus Cellular use?

I think it's a no. If it's a boring phone (like porting your verizon phone over the pageplus, then after the porting, then your phone will not change...it might still say verizon...it's just on pageplus now


2. Any limitation of data use with flashed phones?
it might depend on the phone (I honestly don't know on this one)


3. Choice of flashing software? Dealers do it?

dealers probably do it...or check howard forums


4. Can HTC and/or Motorola Droid phones be used on any PPC plan or is a certain "level" plan required; "data"?

I've never used these phones before, but I think if a person keeps the data setting "off," any pageplus plan should be okay. I think. (As i said before, I don't have firsthand experience...sorry)


5. PPC vs. ST?
pageplus gets my vote (due to my lack of knowledge and I think there's not as much exposure on Straight Talk yet on FW)

(i looked at this thread again because I was curious if any of the phones mentioned here are mentioned here: http://androidcommunity.com/galaxy-nexus-was-just-the-start-verizon-end-of-life-comes-for-many-20130128/ I'm still learning about what "end of life" means for a cellphone...I wish it meant it's being discontinued and will be cheaper...but I doubt it. yes, wishful thinking on my part...oh well)


Thanks for the follow-up. The Android Community makes clear how "difficult" and locked up the mobile phone market is in the U.S. Hopefully as the non-contract business grows we may see changes so that one's mobile device is not locked to a carrier and one's TV is not held hostage to renting a STB from a provider.

(Before someone mentions otherwise, yes, there are already workarounds, but workarounds should not be necessary, standard should be for compatibility not incompatibility.)

The issue here is not that a phone is locked up to a carrier. Issue is that Page Plus is a reseller of Verizon. As a reseller, you can only provide services that are approved under the deal you signed with the carrier (Verizon). Under the current terms, Page Plus is not supposed to be able to activate Verizon 4G LTE phones. Obviously, 4G LTE phones are the latest & greatest on Verizon. Thus, people find complicated workarounds for specific devices. Alternatively, you could flash non-Verizon cdma phones, but that is probably even more complicated.

FunnyStuff said:   The issue here is not that a phone is locked up to a carrier. Issue is that Page Plus is a reseller of Verizon. As a reseller, you can only provide services that are approved under the deal you signed with the carrier (Verizon). Under the current terms, Page Plus is not supposed to be able to activate Verizon 4G LTE phones. Obviously, 4G LTE phones are the latest & greatest on Verizon. Thus, people find complicated workarounds for specific devices. Alternatively, you could flash non-Verizon cdma phones, but that is probably even more complicated.

Do you or others know whether the limitation at PagePlus on not accepting "non-contract" Vzw phones is one imposed on them by their carrier agreement or one PagePlus imposes itself. For illustration purposes, it appears they sell a Huawei Ascend Y phone and what appears to be the same has been sold as ST for Vz but the device price is substantially less at W-Mart.


I guess I haven't gone to the pageplus page for a long time since it's very different from what I remembered.

Among the red owl looking thing...they now have user manuals for various phones here: http://www.pagepluscellular.com/support/

Phones mentioned include the following:

BlackBerry
Blackberry Curve 8330
Blackberry Curve 8530
Blackberry RIM Pearlflip8230
Blackberry Storm2 9550
Blackberry Storm 9530
Blackberry Tour 9630
Blackberrycurve 3G 9330 Manual
Casio
Casio Commando Gzone Commando Manual
Casio C711 Gzone Boulder Manual
HTC
HTC Ozone XV6175
HTC Touch English Manual
HTC Rhyme Manual
HTC Droid Eris ADR6200
HTC Droid Incredible 2
HTC Droid Incredible ADR6300
Huawei
Huawei Ascend Y SP
Huawei Ascend Y EN
Kyocera
Kyocera KX414 Phantom
Kyocera M2000 G2GO EN
Kyocera S4000 Mako EN
Kyocera S4000 Mako SP
Kyocera M2000 G2GO SP
Milano C5121 User Guide En
Milano C5121 User Guide Sp
S2300 User Guide EN
S2300 User Guide SP
Rio E3100 User Guide En
Rio E3100 User Guide Sp
LG
LG AX155
LG VX11000 Env Touch
LG VX 3300
LG VX 4400
LG VX 4500 Eng
LGVX8350 EN
LG VS700 Enlighten Manual En Es
1 LG 8575 Chocolate Touch
1 LG VN 250 Cosmos Manual1 English
1 LG VN 250 Cosmos Manual1 Spanish
1LG VS740 Ally Manual English
1LG VX5500
1LG VX8100
1LG VX9100 Env2
1LG VX9200 Env3
1LG VX9700 Dare
1LG VX10000 Voyager
1LG VX11000 Env Touch
1LG VX 3200
1LG VX 4500 Spa
1LG VX 4650 Manual EN
1LG VX 5200
1LG VX 5300 E
1LG VX 5300 S
1LG VX 5400
1LG VX 5600 Accolade
1LG VX 8300
1LG VX 8360
1LG VX 8500 Chocolate
LG VN530 Octane Manual English
LG VN 150 Revere
LG VN 270 Cosmos Touch
LG VS660 Vortex Manual ENG
LG VS660 Vortex Manual SPA
LG VS700 Enlighten Manual En Es
LG VX 8550 Chocolate II En Sp
LG VX 9900 Env
LG VX6100
LGVX8350 EN
LGVX8350 EN SP
Motorola
Motorola E815
Motorola K1m KRZR
Motorola V3a Razr
Motorola V3c RAZR
Motorola V3m RAZR
Motorola V325
Motorola W315 EN SP
Motorola W385 EN SP
Motorola 120C
Motorola Q9c
MOT DROID3 UG US EN
MOT Droid Pro US EN UG
Motorola Citrus WX445
Motorola Droid 2 A955
Motorola Droid A855
Motorola MB810 DROID X
Motorola MB870 Droid X2
Motorola Q9m
Motorola Rival A455
Motorola V860 Barrage
Motorola VU204 Limerick
Motorola W755 EN SP
Motorola ZN4 Krave
Motorola Q
Nokia
Nokia 7705 Twist UG En US Es LAM
Nokia 6205
Palm
Palm Pixi Plus
Palm Treo Pro 850
Pantech
Pantech CDM 8999 Crux
Samsung
Samsung Intensity U450
Samsung Myshot R430
Samsung Omnia I910
Samsung SCH U490 Trance Eng
Samsung SCH A670
Samsung SCH A870 Siren
Samsung SCH A930
Samsung SCH I100 Gem
Samsung SCH I110 Illusion English User Manual
Samsung SCH U360 Gusto
Samsung Juke U470
Samsung Omnia II
Samsung SCH I500 Galaxy S Fascinate
Samsung SCH U460 Intensity II
Samsung SCH U650 Sway EN
Samsung SCH U650 Sway SP
Samsung SCH U700 Gleam
Samsung SCH U820 Reality
SCH I400 Galaxys Continuum English User Manual
SCH U640 Convoy Ug Eng Pdf
UTStarComm
Utstarcom CDM 7076 EN SP


I guess these phone are sorta endorsed(?) by pageplus. (I'm relived to see the droids on the list) It might be old news to experts, but it's new to me and apologize for repeating something that's already out there...

horizon6 said:   
Do you or others know whether the limitation at PagePlus on not accepting "non-contract" Vzw phones is one imposed on them by their carrier agreement or one PagePlus imposes itself. For illustration purposes, it appears they sell a Huawei Ascend Y phone and what appears to be the same has been sold as ST for Vz but the device price is substantially less at W-Mart.


Last I heard, unactiviated Straight Talk phones that utilized Verizon networks does work with Page Plus. If it was activated first on Straight Talk, then it would not work. I however would not know if the situation has changed. That particular Huawei does not look that impressive, so it would not surprise me if nobody has even bothered trying to put in on Page Plus.

FunnyStuff said:   horizon6 said:   
Do you or others know whether the limitation at PagePlus on not accepting "non-contract" Vzw phones is one imposed on them by their carrier agreement or one PagePlus imposes itself. For illustration purposes, it appears they sell a Huawei Ascend Y phone and what appears to be the same has been sold as ST for Vz but the device price is substantially less at W-Mart.


Last I heard, unactiviated Straight Talk phones that utilized Verizon networks does work with Page Plus. If it was activated first on Straight Talk, then it would not work. I however would not know if the situation has changed. That particular Huawei does not look that impressive, so it would not surprise me if nobody has even bothered trying to put in on Page Plus.


The price difference between the Huawei phone at PagePlus and at ST had caused me to ask PPC CSRs previously. ST has a more comprehensive line of phones than PPC. Was told by PPC that ST phones could not be activated on PPC. Possible the CSR did not make a distinction between "new" and "previously activated" ST phones. May try asking again unless someone here has more information.

Per PPC CSR, needs to be a Vz "contract" (not pre-paid) 3G phone to activate on PPC. ST Vz phones would generally not be able to be ported.

This an interesting forum from a PPC authorized dealer site on the subject.

Wish PPC provided better choice of phones at reasonable prices, that there were more choices to acquire phones, and that the "locking" of phones by/to carriers was eliminated - see here.

Not PP, but S*print makes a move. Comments?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.