Staples rewards changing to 5% on everything

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Folks,

I was speaking with somebody at Staples today who informed me the Rewards program is changing (I think April 1st). The program will now offer 5% back in rewards on all items purchased vs. the current 10% back only on ink/toner/paper.

I'm not sure of any other details at this point.

Hope this helps,
Glen

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The Staples in Memphis/Germantown, TN is telling everyone this at checkout. I think the date of changeover was March 1st... (more)

jasonatq1520radiocom (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 10:02p) |

Maybe but they have been doing local tests in AZ and NY for almost a year.

mathfaster (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 10:22p) |

5% back on everything starts 3/15/2013

usernamemax20charact (Feb. 28, 2013 @ 2:07p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Isn't this the case for some, as of a year or two ago? Where the rewards were changed possibly via region/zip code. I have to enter zip whenever I log onto rewards (which would be strange if all regions were the same).

eta: can't seem to find thread discussing this. any help would be .... helpful....

dazviking said:   Isn't this the case for some, as of a year or two ago? Where the rewards were changed possibly via region/zip code. I have to enter zip whenever I log onto rewards (which would be strange if all regions were the same).

eta: can't seem to find thread discussing this. any help would be .... helpful....

yes, you are right. think it was a test program in one or two regions or select zips.

Think it reverted back to the same program for everyone.

I take rumors like the OP said, that his manager said with a grain of salt. 5% back on everything would likely be much better than than the current program but until it's officially announced and details known (limits, exclusions, etc), I'll just not concern myself with it for the time being. As long as they don't monkey with the ink recycle program (reduce or eliminate it), I'll be happy.

For them to give 5% it is coming from somewhere.
NEW HIGHER PRICING ON ALL ITEMS.

The person the OP spoke to is simply speculating at this point as Staples corp has made no final decision. This all stems from the survey Staples sent out to their Staples Rewards survey group last month asking memebers which option they would prefer.

Option 1: 5% back on everything (excluding GCs, computer, tablets, and LEDs) This option eliminates the current free shipping with no minimum order on Staples.com for Staples Premiuer members. The free shipping on orders of $45 would still apply to everyone. The 5% Rewards would be in lieu of any weekly instant savings or coupons used on any item. IOW you would no longer receive Staples rewards on any item where a weekly instant savings, coupon or prior Rewards are applied. The survey cited specific examples of how each type of exclusion would work.

Option 2: 10% back on all Office supplies excluding all technology products and HP Ink. Ths option would retain free shipping with no minimum order on Staples.com for Staples Premiuer members. The 10% Rewards would be in lieu of any instant savings or coupons used on any item. IOW you would no longer receive Staples rewards on any item where a weekly instant savings, coupon or prior Rewards are applied. The survey cited specific examples of how each type of exclusion would work.

Option 3: Leave the Staples Rewards program in its current for mwith no changes

Personally I would prefer the 10% back on all non-tech and retain free S&H for Staples.com as most of the deals in the past coupn of years have been .com vs B&M.

RE:
The 5% Rewards would be in lieu of any weekly instant savings or coupons used on any item

Exactly as I said.....

"For them to give 5% it is coming from somewhere.
NEW HIGHER PRICING ON ALL ITEMS."

No business except in a last stitch effort to keep it above water is just giving away 5&

yesidonoitall said:   RE:
The 5% Rewards would be in lieu of any weekly instant savings or coupons used on any item

Exactly as I said.....

No business except in a last stitch effort to keep it above water is just giving away 5&
Target gives 5% back on everything when you use their Red Card. I don't think they are going out of business anytime soon. Also, if these are 5% back in rewards, many of those rewards will never get redeemed as there are monthly minimums to cash out depending on status. Staples has been running test regions with 5% back in NY state so they should have a handle on what it is costing them versus what they gain in loyalty via more frequent purchases.

mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Exactly as I said.....

Target gives 5% back on everything when you use their Red Card. I don't think they are going out of business anytime soon. Also, if these are 5% back in rewards, many of those rewards will never get redeemed as there are monthly minimums to cash out depending on status. Staples has been running test regions with 5% back in NY state so they should have a handle on what it is costing them versus what they gain in loyalty via more frequent purchases.

Yes, I love the Target deal, but trust me, that is taken into consideration when they price an item.
The 5% is spread among all buyers.

Since this thread is all speculative, there was a post on that other forum that there is a major upgrade coming in March. Supposed to allow the use of gift cards online. I will believe that when I can use them online. That rumor has been floated for years.

mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Exactly as I said.....

The difference is that the 5% Target offers with its red card is not paid by Target. The 5% comes from the card underwriter: TD Bank Group.

cnIsfg said:   ..The difference is that the 5% Target offers with its red card is not paid by Target. The 5% comes from the card underwriter: TD Bank Group.ALL their Red Cards? They no longer offer the VISA one. Just their store credit card and the debit card.

cnIsfg said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Exactly as I said.....

The difference is that the 5% Target offers with its red card is not paid by Target. The 5% comes from the card underwriter: TD Bank Group.

I could care less where it comes from, but how does TD make money on it?

yesidonoitall said:   cnIsfg said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Exactly as I said.....

Thesame way all credit card companies make money: the 18-29% they charge customers who carry a balance.

cnIsfg said:   yesidonoitall said:   cnIsfg said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Exactly as I said.....

Thesame way all credit card companies make money: the 18-29% they charge customers who carry a balance.

I get that, but aren't we talking about the Target RED debit card that draws on my checking account?
That is the RED CARD.

mathfaster said:   cnIsfg said:   ..The difference is that the 5% Target offers with its red card is not paid by Target. The 5% comes from the card underwriter: TD Bank Group.ALL their Red Cards? They no longer offer the VISA one. Just their store credit card and the debit card.

They are ALL still processed by TD Group.

yesidonoitall said:   cnIsfg said:   yesidonoitall said:   cnIsfg said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Exactly as I said.....

I get that, but aren't we talking about the Target RED debit card that draws on my checking account?
That is the RED CARD.

READ your debit card agreement, their privacy policy and what you consent to you will know how they make back that 5%. Credit processor Data mining is VERY profitable. Also with recent law changes there is no guarantee that either Red card will continue to be transaction free. Anyway enough about how credit card companies are able to offer CB and make money. If you want to learn more head over to finance. AS math stated this is all speculation until Staples publishes its new Rewards program. The only guarantee is that Office Depot will match or surpass anything Staples offers.

RE:
The only guarantee is that Office Depot will match or surpass anything Staples offers.

No, they only take 10 ink carts a month for the $2.00 each.
Staples 20

RE:
READ your debit card agreement, their privacy policy and what you consent to you will know how they make back that 5%. Credit processor Data mining is VERY profitable.

Who cares, I want my 5%

yesidonoitall said:   RE:
READ your debit card agreement, their privacy policy and what you consent to you will know how they make back that 5%. Credit processor Data mining is VERY profitable.

Who cares, I want my 5%
The teenager whose dad found out she was pregnant as they data mined her purchases and sent baby coupons.

cnIsfg said:   The person the OP spoke to is simply speculating at this point as Staples corp has made no final decision. This all stems from the survey Staples sent out to their Staples Rewards survey group last month asking memebers which option they would prefer.
I didn't get a survey last month. I received one a few months ago in which options included paying a membership fee to "join" Staples Rewards , things like 5% back all the time on all products, several different options for the ink recycling program (none of which were as lucrative as the current system), issuing Rewards as a coupon on the bottom of your receipt, etc. I didn't like a single one of the proposed changes especially since every option scaled back the ink recycling program. I'm sure changes are coming but hopefully enough folks said "don't touch recycling!".

If you aren't already, sign up to be a member of the Feedback Forum.

my4mainecoons said:   cnIsfg said:   The person the OP spoke to is simply speculating at this point as Staples corp has made no final decision. This all stems from the survey Staples sent out to their Staples Rewards survey group last month asking memebers which option they would prefer.
I didn't get a survey last month. I received one a few months ago in which options included paying a membership fee to "join" Staples Rewards , things like 5% back all the time on all products, several different options for the ink recycling program (none of which were as lucrative as the current system), issuing Rewards as a coupon on the bottom of your receipt, etc. I didn't like a single one of the proposed changes especially since every option scaled back the ink recycling program. I'm sure changes are coming but hopefully enough folks said "don't touch recycling!".

If you aren't already, sign up to be a member of the Feedback Forum.
I did that one as well but not the latest one. Wasn't that the longest and most boring of surveys? Everywhere it made sense I chose to keep the ink recycling. Without those rewards, I would really have little reason to shop Staples except for the occasional really good deal. It was bad enough when they reduced the rewards per cart in 2010 from $3 to $2.

Staples had 5% back on everything many years ago. Then they went to their new, improved, you asked for it 10% back on ink etc.

Got the following when clicking on the toner at the bottom of page 3 on the weekly ad for 2/17: "As of 4/1/12 Staples Rewards« members receive 5% back in Rewards on all items excluding taxes, postage, prepaid phone cards, delivery charges, coupons, gift cards and purchases made on third-party Web sites, and HP ink and toner. The price eligible for Rewards is the amount paid at checkout after application of all promotions, coupons, instant savings, and Rewards redemptions and does not include tax or shipping."

I had heard this was coming. Not sure if this is a trial balloon or not. Just interesting this is where it was posted.

mathfaster said:   Got the following when clicking on the toner at the bottom of page 3 on the weekly ad for 2/17: "As of 4/1/12 Staples Rewards« members receive 5% back in Rewards on all items excluding taxes, postage, prepaid phone cards, delivery charges, coupons, gift cards and purchases made on third-party Web sites, and HP ink and toner. The price eligible for Rewards is the amount paid at checkout after application of all promotions, coupons, instant savings, and Rewards redemptions and does not include tax or shipping."

I had heard this was coming. Not sure if this is a trial balloon or not. Just interesting this is where it was posted.

Godd find! I am hoping that is the official final version of the Rewards program change since it does not exclude technology like the options provided in the Janruary survey.

cnIsfg said:   mathfaster said:   Got the following when clicking on the toner at the bottom of page 3 on the weekly ad for 2/17: "As of 4/1/12 Staples Rewards« members receive 5% back in Rewards on all items excluding taxes, postage, prepaid phone cards, delivery charges, coupons, gift cards and purchases made on third-party Web sites, and HP ink and toner. The price eligible for Rewards is the amount paid at checkout after application of all promotions, coupons, instant savings, and Rewards redemptions and does not include tax or shipping."

Godd find! I am hoping that is the official final version of the Rewards program change since it does not exclude technology like the options provided in the Janruary survey.

If this is anything like some of their coupon wording changing after the initial coupon is out, it will soon exclude tech items.

cnIsfg said:   mathfaster said:   Got the following when clicking on the toner at the bottom of page 3 on the weekly ad for 2/17: "As of 4/1/12 Staples Rewards« members receive 5% back in Rewards on all items excluding taxes, postage, prepaid phone cards, delivery charges, coupons, gift cards and purchases made on third-party Web sites, and HP ink and toner. The price eligible for Rewards is the amount paid at checkout after application of all promotions, coupons, instant savings, and Rewards redemptions and does not include tax or shipping."

Just a strange strange place to find it. Note the year. 4/1/12. Think I should hit them up for retroactive rewards?

mathfaster said:   Note the year. 4/1/12. Think I should hit them up for retroactive rewards?Forget the year .... note the month and day.

The Staples in Memphis/Germantown, TN is telling everyone this at checkout. I think the date of changeover was March 1st. It's just a verbal thing the cashiers are telling each person as they checkout (that every purchase will earn 5% in rewards starting March 1st). I did ask if that applies to online purchases as well. She said she didn't know but she thinks so. I expected to come on to Fatwallet and find all kinds of posts about this. Local/regional test change maybe?

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   The Staples in Memphis/Germantown, TN is telling everyone this at checkout. I think the date of changeover was March 1st. It's just a verbal thing the cashiers are telling each person as they checkout (that every purchase will earn 5% in rewards starting March 1st). I did ask if that applies to online purchases as well. She said she didn't know but she thinks so. I expected to come on to Fatwallet and find all kinds of posts about this. Local/regional test change maybe?Maybe but they have been doing local tests in AZ and NY for almost a year.

5% back on everything
Disclaimer
5% back on everything starts 3/15/2013

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014