• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I monitor several family members' Staples accounts, and one (a Plus member) received this email today.

$40 off your online or phone order of $80 or more. Exclusions apply†.
Valid online or by phone. Not valid in store. Expires 2/16/13.
0000-0000-0000-0000 [not the real number]

†Valid online at Staples.com® or by phone at 1-800-333-3330 only. Not valid in store. Limit one per customer, nontransferable. Minimum purchase requirement of $80 must be met with purchases to which no other coupon or instant savings offer applies. May not be combined with any other coupon. No cash/credit back. Not valid on any desktop or laptop computers, netbooks, tablets, eReaders including Amazon Kindle® and NOOK®, Beats Audio™, Epson ink and toner, custom printing orders placed online, services, promotional products, gift cards, Staples Industrial purchases, prior purchases or any purchases on other provider Web sites. Tax and shipping not included in calculating minimum purchase. Expires 2/16/13.

The others didn't get this coupon so it may be targetted, e.g. to Plus/Premier? When I clicked on "use coupon now" it put it in my shopping cart which was a shock because I wasn't ready to buy yet.

=aw

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Add exclusions to the heading.
I wasted my time looking at this.

There are a bunch of 1TB portable HDs for $80, which is tempting. What else would be worth getting? An $80-$90 laser printer?

=aw

aren't these usual staple exclusions?

yesidonoitall said:   Add exclusions to the heading.

woyemihu said:   aren't these usual staple exclusions?

yesidonoitall said:   Add exclusions to the heading.
Yep. I always assume any coupon has the usual exclusions. Only when they are laptop/desktop specific coupons can they be used on laptops/desktops. Hope springs eternal I guess.

This is a targeted, one time use coupon.

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear if there are any other gotchas. I was surprised only one of the emails got this coupon.

BTW SR post on Feb 14, right? It would be nice to pay the other $40 with SR, if that's an option.

=aw

ottawa said:   Good luck, I'll be interested to hear if there are any other gotchas. I was surprised only one of the emails got this coupon.

BTW SR post on Feb 14, right? It would be nice to pay the other $40 with SR, if that's an option.

=aw
No, the rewards are being posted as this is being posted. By phone not online you can use the $40 coupon with rewards. They changed the online system a few months ago so that you must meet the coupon minimum after rewards not before rewards.

Interesting, the SR site said (and still says)

Rewards are on the way.

If you've earned qualifying Rewards, you'll receive them via email on February 14 or in home between February 23 - March 1, 2013.

but the Rewards are now posted.

So online I could buy something for $120, apply $40 in Rewards, then use the $40-off-$80 coupon to pay $40 cash? That's still not as good as free, but if I actually wanted the $120 thing, it would be an improvement. Or I could phone, I guess.

Thanks!
=aw

ottawa said:   Interesting, the SR site said (and still says)

Rewards are on the way.

If you've earned qualifying Rewards, you'll receive them via email on February 14 or in home between February 23 - March 1, 2013.

but the Rewards are now posted.

So online I could buy something for $120, apply $40 in Rewards, then use the $40-off-$80 coupon to pay $40 cash? That's still not as good as free, but if I actually wanted the $120 thing, it would be an improvement. Or I could phone, I guess.

Thanks!
=aw
Staples gives the date as the date they put out the email about the rewards. Yes phone order would mean you would only need to spend $80 not $120 and use the $40 rewards and pay nothing OOP.

I called and bought a low-end laser printer (needed one), applied the $40 coupon, then my Jan SR coupon, ended up paying $2 and change in new money.

If I hadn't needed a new printer, I was considering an $80 portable HD, either paying with SR or with cash, and then selling on eBay for (hopefully) more than $40 net.

Thanks for the tip on ordering by phone!

=aw

Is there any way to track the phone order on the website? I have a confirmation number and it lets me see the order (and it says the printer shipped UPS) but doesn't seem to show a "1Z" number.

It's not critical but I'd like to know if it's likely to arrive today (due tomorrow).

Also is there any way to find the order without the confirmation number? "My Orders" only showed online orders.

Thanks!
=aw

ottawa said:   Is there any way to track the phone order on the website? I have a confirmation number and it lets me see the order (and it says the printer shipped UPS) but doesn't seem to show a "1Z" number.

It's not critical but I'd like to know if it's likely to arrive today (due tomorrow).

Also is there any way to find the order without the confirmation number? "My Orders" only showed online orders.

Thanks!
=aw

RE:
due tomorrow).

How do you know that?

Two ways, neither accessible on the website without off-website info.

1. The phone agent told me. She said one item was due Tuesday, one due Wednesday, did I want both to come Wednesday? She said they would come in separate deliveries so I said no (if she'd said they'd put the Dust Destroyers in with the printer, I'd have said yes to save Diesel).

2. If I logout (!) from Staples.com and then click "track an order" at the bottom, it prompts for my (Staples ID)|(Order # & zip)|(UPS #). Using the order confirmation # I got over the phone, I can see the order and then ask for info. It tells me it's due today: http://screencast.com/t/tN9e4WTx6KFM

I said I didn't have a 1Z number, that was true when I posted but now it's accessible when I click through the order to "track shipment". And UPS.com says it's out for delivery.

The challenge was that while logged in to Staples.com, clicking on "Track an order" only took me to the page showing my online orders. Which is why I said above that I needed non-website info (the confirmation number) to access it.

[added: they did say they were sending a confirmation email, but it didn't come, so I don't know if more specific tracking info would have been included in the email. As it stands now, if I hadn't written down the order confirmation number, I'd have to call them for it in order to track the shipment.]

=aw

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014