Toshiba l855 or Lenovo U510?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Which of these two laptops should I go for (both are available at my local Staples)

Toshiba L855 for $527.50 - $75 = $452.50

http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-L855-S5372-156-Laptop/product_990...

Lenovo U510 for $549.90 - $75 = $475

http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-U510-59355296-156-Laptop/p...

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

the Toshiba deff sounds like a better deal. has an extra usb 3.0 port for the future, plues the i7 kills the i5 processor. my 2 cents

I vote for Lenovo - this 1 got SSD, and I just love Lenovo

The Lenovo is my choice too - the SSD is clincher. I added a small one to my desktop machine and it made a huge difference in speed - the PC boots more than twice as fast and every function works with less lag. For most uses the SSD will speed up the machine far more than adding a quad-core processor.

Neither...very strange configurations. The I5 is a low speed variant. The I7 is much more powerful but the HDD is way too slow (5400 rpm). I'd go for a faster I5 with SSD or I7 with SSD.
This I5-3317U is slower than I3-3120M. I wouldn't pick any core I processor that ends with "U". (Underpowered to save energy)
Seems to me the Lenovo model is designed for having longer battery life. I tried a few keyboards and Lenovo tends to have relatively better ones.
But I still prefer the Thinkpad traditional keyboard that's being discontinued. The Lenovo touch pad though is okay but not that great.

What about buying the Toshiba and adding replacing the HDD with SSD later and using the HDD as external drive?

Also, if the manager is ready to reduce the price of an absolutely scratchless display piece by just $25, should I buy the display piece or boxed one?

I just purchased the U510 for my sister. For me, the clincher was the 4.85 lbs weight (vs. Toshiba 5.5 lbs). I know that the i5 is a ULV (ultra low voltage) chip which uses less energy. I'm okay with that because reviews and benchmarks indicate that it is still fast enough while providing better battery life.

I completely missed the fact that the Lenovo has a ssd in it. get the Toshiba put a 128gig ssd in it, and be done with it. thank you to all the people who commented after me seeing that spec.

sam1248 said:   What about buying the Toshiba and adding replacing the HDD with SSD later and using the HDD as external drive?
That would be a good option. (Do note that your total cost is going up with that though - SSDs are cheaper now, you can get a 250GB Samsung-840 series for about $160 or so. That is not the best SSD of course, but still will be much better than the regular HDD)

sam1248 said:   Also, if the manager is ready to reduce the price of an absolutely scratchless display piece by just $25, should I buy the display piece or boxed one?
Personally, for $25, I'd pass on it. The display model may be scratchless, but depending on how long it has been out on display, your battery life may be degraded (if it has been on display for several months).

I called Staples store for getting floor model (Lenovo U510, only 1 available near my location) but they said no extra discount for floor model
Then I ordered over chat/phone with applying $75 off even it's expired on 14th Nov. Representative is ready to give $75 off with Coupon Override.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014