BMW 328i xDrive or VW GTI

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello car enthusiasts.

I have been driving a VW Jetta (2.0 turbo) for the past 7 years and have racked up 92k miles. It has irritated me on occasions (with check engine lights mostly, all fixed under factory warranty). But, the joy of driving a turbocharged Jetta at 25k price point has been fantastic. The car is getting to a point, where it will be unreliable and would need a lot of maintenance very soon. I have done very well professionally and would not mind splurging a little bit on my next car purchase. Here is why I am conflicted on it. I have narrowed my choices down to BMW 328i xDrive (coz of snowy winters) and VW GTI. Here are my arguments for and against both:

BMW
For - I would like to experience the benchmark of balanced performance/luxury that they (and every reviewer on the planet) claim(s) to offer.
Against - Once I buy a Bimmer, most people I know will think I bought it to show off. By that I mean for most people that I know BMWs/Mercs are schmucki-ness indicators. For them, a man can't buy a BMW just for sheer driving pleasure.

VW
For - I know I would enjoy it since I have enjoyed a Jetta, the reliability of a VW notwithstanding.
Against - I can't drop the idea of a Bimmer, just because of what people think!!

So, my question is where does GTI (current generation) fall on a driving experience/enjoyment scale of 1-10 if the 328i (current generation) is a 10? Test drives can only tell you so much. That will help me avoid a social experiment and may be save some money (10k).

Thanks

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Your "for and against" are based mostly on others options and/or assumptions. Go do detailed test drives for yourself in each and decide factually what car best suits your needs.

Forget the GTI, get a Golf R.

I have a 2013 GTI Autobahn manual. If I had to do it again, I'd go with a Cadillac ATS 2.0T Performance.

Thanks for the responses. I have test driven the BMW, but to capture the essence of a car in 15 mins is probably too much to ask. I know the GTI will be better than the Jetta, coz I can extrapolate my experience of last 6 years. Golf R is too expensive and comes manual (drawback for any femininas in my life). Finally, I am not 55 yet; so, no Cadillacs.

You should really try the Cadillac ATS, forget age, most I know are under 55 and they had caddys. Remember that GTI is a cop magnet and the latest reliability information on VWs is not great. If you really have to pick between the two, I would recommend the BMW but they have problems as well. You'll be covered for 5 years with a bimmer.

I vote for the BMW for the following reasons.

My wife has an 07 Rabbit which is nice but there have been a lot of rattles we started to notice after a few years and the window switches paint is peeling off. Also the glue they use is pretty weak and the headliner has started to fall down. Overall the quality is not very impressive, I am rather disappointed although the car still drives great and is a fun little car.

On the other hand I have an 05 330 coupe which has a few small things wrong with it like the small rear window gaskets need to be replaced and the floor mats are falling apart. But for the money I would buy another BMW any day of the week. They come with the 4yr/50k full maintenance and bumper to bumper warranty so you will have $0 out of pocket for the first 4 years if you go new.

But make your own decisions that is just what I would do.

mrmonty said:   Thanks for the responses. I have test driven the BMW, but to capture the essence of a car in 15 mins is probably too much to ask. I know the GTI will be better than the Jetta, coz I can extrapolate my experience of last 6 years. Golf R is too expensive and comes manual (drawback for any femininas in my life). Finally, I am not 55 yet; so, no Cadillacs.

How is a Golf R too expensive relative to a 3 series? A stripper 3 series new with automatic should set you back close to 40k before TTL.

I had a similar decision to make, and I decided on the GLI Autobahn. I figure with the new bmw style warranty for the first 3 years/36k that should give me peace of mind and time to make a decision whether I want to keep it for > 3 years.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014