• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
A blast from the past ...

Received a card in the mail today that said:

If you purchased an eMachines computer (several models listed) on or after December 31, 1997, you are entitled to a redemption certificate that may be used to obtain a replacement computer or accessories (valued up to $365 from www.secondipity.com or $62.50 in cash. Regardless of which option you choose, you will NOT be required to return your original computer.

You must complete and mail this Claim Form by July 15, 2013 in order to receive a redemption certificate.

http://www.emachinesFloppyDiskSettlement.com

P.S. The card also says: eMachines' warranty records show that you are included in the settlement. If true, that's amazing in and of itself since I've changed my address four times since I bought an emachines computer about 13 years ago!

Moderator Comment: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here. — Feb. 16, 2013 @ 5:35pm
Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
i lost my certificate does anyone know who you contact to get another?

ultratjc (Feb. 28, 2014 @ 4:05p) |

Which windows is running on the Acer G1620?

mysweetbaby (Mar. 30, 2014 @ 11:37a) |

@No legs, thanks for the information I am looking into purchasing this product.

antishender (Jun. 14, 2014 @ 9:08a) |

rated:
Nice, I bought one in 1999, no card in my mailbox.

rated:
The copy of the photo ID that is required to make a claim may mask (black out) all private information and need show only the name and photograph. That is, you may black out the personal information on the copy of your ID, but your photograph and name must be legible.

Hmm...

I bought several emachines before, but I no longer have them.

Am I still eligible?

rated:
So who is paying out the money, here? Is eMachines still in business?

rated:
Wow! I didn't look at the specific models, but we purchased several eMachines computers during that timeframe. I doubt we still have the receipts -_- (even if you did, chances are the ink would have faded away over the last 15 years). I presume all unclaimed $ goes towards legal fees?

rated:
Bought one in 2001. Used to run ME. Had it till 2007. Worked great.

rated:
Claim Page said: Accordingly, when I mail in my claim I will enclose proof of purchase of an Affected Computer Model as described on the Claim Form.

Will be hard to get one...

rated:
miqie said:   So who is paying out the money, here? Is eMachines still in business?

They were bought by Gateway, who was then bought by Acer. Acer still exists (so does the Gateway brand)

rated:
I have an emachines pc, but no proof of purchase. SOL?

I'm trying to remember where I bought it. Is there a list of resellers so I can try checking?

Is $365 credit worth it or is it inflated pricing?

rated:
$50,000,000 (800,000 x $62.50) in legal fees.

rated:
bobley said:   $50,000,000 (800,000 x $62.50) in legal fees.

Legislators, Congress, President are mostly lawyers=Wont change.

rated:
devyanks90 said:   miqie said:   So who is paying out the money, here? Is eMachines still in business?

They were bought by Gateway, who was then bought by Acer. Acer still exists (so does the Gateway brand)
I bought some Emachines laptops Christmas before last at Best Buy. WalMart B&M still sells some Emachines.

rated:
Bought one in 2006 from Circuit City (RIP) according to my email - now where's that receipt....

rated:
Mod, that other thread is a lawsuit sticky. It probably should be restricted to posting of suits and news on suits with discussion of specific suits in separate threads.

rated:
I salvaged one recently from an e-waste cleanup. Can I get by w/ just the model & serial or do I still need a receipt?

rated:
bobley said:   $50,000,000 (800,000 x $62.50) in legal fees.
Yes, it's a large number. And everyone loves to roll their eyes at class action legal fees.

But don't you think this lawsuit was an incredible amount of work? Don't forget that the lawyers almost certainly took it on contingency. And if no lawyer took it up, there would almost certainly have been no recovery for consumers.

rated:
Five years ago, I got my kids a pair of Pavilion towers for Christmas. One had a lot of problems and I was short on time to troubleshoot, so I grabbed a $300 eMachine to tide him over until I could fix the Pavilion. The problem with the HP was that the added video card obstructed air flow and I fixed both my strapping huge sinks on the CPUs. On the eMachine, the video card sat beneath the CPU, so it never overheated. A couple months back, the eMachine failed. Inspection revealed bulging capacitors around the CPU. I decided to replace rather than repair and recycled the eMachine at Best Buy. Less than a week later I got the post card. It looks like I can expect to settle this with a refurb'd i3. So, five years of service plus a free upgrade for $300. Not bad!

rated:
Wow, I had several eMachines over the years (mostly family members), and I ended up replacing the floppies in all of 'em. Pissed me off to no end, and quickly got other family members to welcome in the age of CD-RWs......

rated:
purchased mine from bestbuy wonder if their system can recover the receipt?

rated:
no receipt required, only copy of drivers license with everything but your name and picture blacked out. I got a post card and am waiting for my money. My laptop is long gone and so is the receipt but i registered it with emachines when i got it. go to http://www.emachinesfloppydisksettlement.com/CaseInfo.aspx?pas=EMS to see if you can claim it.

rated:
spater said:   purchased mine from bestbuy wonder if their system can recover the receipt?

did they sell them online??

rated:
smells phishy. any one have a copy of claim form?

rated:
go to emachine website, claim form is there along with details

rated:
eurekaa said:   A blast from the past ...

Received a card in the mail today that said:

If you purchased an eMachines computer (several models listed) on or after December 31, 1997, you are entitled to a redemption certificate that may be used to obtain a replacement computer or accessories (valued up to $365 from www.secondipity.com or $62.50 in cash. Regardless of which option you choose, you will NOT be required to return your original computer.

You must complete and mail this Claim Form by July 15, 2013 in order to receive a redemption certificate.

http://www.emachinesFloppyDiskSettlement.com

P.S. The card also says: eMachines' warranty records show that you are included in the settlement. If true, that's amazing in and of itself since I've changed my address four times since I bought an emachines computer about 13 years ago!

I got this card too. So I send in the completed card and A copy of my drivers , and thats it?
Can I get A IPad from the redemption website or am I limited to a computer?

rated:
kingdoodler said:   

If there happens to be an iPad on the site in question, yes you can. It is basically a merchandise credit at that site.

rated:
Glacierwolf said:   kingdoodler said:   

If there happens to be an iPad on the site in question, yes you can. It is basically a merchandise credit at that site.

Thanks.

rated:
ok

rated:
yes

rated:
Rats mine was a T2692

rated:
Rats mine was a T2692

rated:
I still have the actual computer, though it's not in use!

rated:
May be today it will be settled , so we can start receiving our vouchers.

rated:
Please post/pm who the resellers were for this (that're still around?)

rated:
I bought my Emachine from the old Circuit City. I did register the warranty with emachines though. That's probably how they found me, even though I have moved 5 times since I bought the computer.

rated:
kingdoodler said:   I bought my Emachine from the old Circuit City..

2 bad they're gone. Did BB or Amazon ever sell these?

rated:
They have settled!Now we wait for our coupons in mail.

rated:
they've settled? nice!
is there a link for the 3/25/13 final approval hearing?

rated:
Can't find one yet.It will be a while I guess to get our vouchers in the mail..On the Emachines website it said they have come to an agreement..

rated:
Glacierwolf said:   kingdoodler said:   

No, you can not. If you read the notice you received in the mail, it clearly states any e-machine, Acer or Gateway computer or accessory. It is good for those three brands only.

And if you have checked the website all, or at least the items I looked at are refurbished.

Skipping 218 Messages...
rated:
@No legs, thanks for the information I am looking into purchasing this product.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014