• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
From other thread...
Best Buy is confident that its latest policy change will kill "showrooming" in its stores for good.
Starting on March 3, the retailer will price match all local retail competitors, along with 19 "major online competitors" in all product categories, whenever a customer asks for it, the company announced .
“There is no doubt that this new policy ends showrooming for Best Buy customers,” company spokesman Matt Furman told Bloomberg .
Back during the holiday rush, Best Buy announced a temporary price-matching initiative. This is its permanent version.
Showrooming, the practice of looking at items in a physical store then going online to make the actual purchase, has been a big worry for consumer electronics stores. Customers showroom electronics items more than any other category, according to data from comScore .
Chris Morran at the Consumerist obtained an internal document from Best Buy that announces the change and has more details. Here's what it says:
Starting March 3, 2013 Best Buy will price match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from local retail competitors and select designated major online retailers at the time of purchase only. (No subsequent price matching of competitors is allowed)
If Best Buy lowers a price on a product (online or in-store) we will allow price-matching up to 15 days following the original purchase. This applies to all customers including Reward Zone Premier Silver members. Please note: After a transition period for Reward Zone Premier Silver members through April 18, 2013, the 15 day period of the Price Match policy goes into effect (post-purchase – Best Buy only).
There has also been one major change to Best Buy's return policy.
The "Return and Exchange" period is being cut in half to 15 days from its previous length of 30 days. All returns will still require a receipt and I.D., plus Reward Zone Premier Silver members will retain their 60-day return eligibility.
Here is the full list of big online competitors that are included in the price-matching guarantee:
Amazon.com
Apple.com
bhphotovideo.com
Buy.com
Crutchfield.com
Dell.com
Frys.com
hhgregg.com
HP.com
HomeDepot.com
Lowes.com
Newegg.com
OfficeDepot.com
OfficeMax.com
Sears.com
Staples.com
Target.com
TigerDirect.com
WalMart.com

Thanks Marlin.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
That would be cool but in some states (like NY) we already pay tax on Amazon.

adam-i-am (Feb. 20, 2013 @ 11:43a) |

I read it as "Shrooming to end at Best Buy" and thought - that's why BB guys in the stores act like complete retards.

aleck (Feb. 20, 2013 @ 11:44a) |

Just tried at a B&M to get them to pricematch Newegg, but they said they couldn't because Newegg isn't in their system. ... (more)

Greymulkin (Mar. 05, 2013 @ 7:42p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

That my shopping apps on my iPhone are going to come in very handy.

No details. No links. No info.

At the risk of setting up a loop, here is another post on the policy: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1257812

From other thread...

Best Buy is confident that its latest policy change will kill "showrooming" in its stores for good.
Starting on March 3, the retailer will price match all local retail competitors, along with 19 "major online competitors" in all product categories, whenever a customer asks for it, the company announced .
“There is no doubt that this new policy ends showrooming for Best Buy customers,” company spokesman Matt Furman told Bloomberg .
Back during the holiday rush, Best Buy announced a temporary price-matching initiative. This is its permanent version.
Showrooming, the practice of looking at items in a physical store then going online to make the actual purchase, has been a big worry for consumer electronics stores. Customers showroom electronics items more than any other category, according to data from comScore .
Chris Morran at the Consumerist obtained an internal document from Best Buy that announces the change and has more details. Here's what it says:
Starting March 3, 2013 Best Buy will price match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from local retail competitors and select designated major online retailers at the time of purchase only. (No subsequent price matching of competitors is allowed)
If Best Buy lowers a price on a product (online or in-store) we will allow price-matching up to 15 days following the original purchase. This applies to all customers including Reward Zone Premier Silver members. Please note: After a transition period for Reward Zone Premier Silver members through April 18, 2013, the 15 day period of the Price Match policy goes into effect (post-purchase – Best Buy only).
There has also been one major change to Best Buy's return policy.
The "Return and Exchange" period is being cut in half to 15 days from its previous length of 30 days. All returns will still require a receipt and I.D., plus Reward Zone Premier Silver members will retain their 60-day return eligibility.
Here is the full list of big online competitors that are included in the price-matching guarantee:
Amazon.com
Apple.com
bhphotovideo.com
Buy.com
Crutchfield.com
Dell.com
Frys.com
hhgregg.com
HP.com
HomeDepot.com
Lowes.com
Newegg.com
OfficeDepot.com
OfficeMax.com
Sears.com
Staples.com
Target.com
TigerDirect.com
WalMart.com

Awesome news! You know I used to hate BB, but they have gotten their act together lately. Their buy online and pickup in-store is top notch (wish I could say the same for Fry's... theirs is the absolute WORST experience... consistently... every damn time). BB also makes it super easy to return online purchases in-store, so no hassle of repackaging and post office.

On a side note, I am a Reward Zone Silver and I had no idea that we get 60-days to return stuff!

Official Best Buy link

"At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor’s store and these designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, bhphotovideo.com, Buy.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and WalMart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com ®. We will also match prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase.
The Guarantee is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest and does not apply to: Contract mobile phone devices and plans, the online prices of retailers not listed, the online prices of third party vendors (Marketplace vendors) on designated major online retailers websites, post purchase price match requests to competitor’s prices."

Until you get to the BB and they give you a hard time trying to price match. Easier to just buy it from the lower priced store.

I know during the holidays my mother-in-law bought a Bosch dishwasher at Best Buy and they price matched it to Sears.com.

dishdude said:   Until you get to the BB and they give you a hard time trying to price match. Easier to just buy it from the lower priced store.

Agreed. I have tried twice and was denied. Both for random reasons.

BB will still be a good showroom for Amazon.

When will BM stores price match BestBuy.com?

Rtrain82 said:   dishdude said:   Until you get to the BB and they give you a hard time trying to price match. Easier to just buy it from the lower priced store.

Agreed. I have tried twice and was denied. Both for random reasons.

My fav is "its below our cost so no..."

Whats the point of a pricematch if you don't pricematch.

Agreed, this is more hype than anything, and will be hit or miss depending on the mood of the Manager that day.

Pros:
Can get item right away vs. waiting to ship
Can combine with GC, coupons, or CashBack to sweeten the deal

Cons:
Sales Tax not factored in, could be deal-killer for anything over $100
No post-sale PM
Manager's discretion can deny anything

Not going to work unless they match after tax price.

They will also load you up on extended warranties and other additional products/services.

robby69 said:   When will BM stores price match BestBuy.com?
The news link above says that B&M will match bb.com prices.

yoregano said:   robby69 said:   When will BM stores price match BestBuy.com?

Where do you see that? It says Buy.com, not bestbuy.com

Wait, so I just bought a TV from Amazon that was hundreds of $ less than locally. So now I can:

a. Find price on Amazon
b. Find price several $$$ higher at Best Buy
c. Drive all the way to the store, deal with manager dink to see if he'll match the price.
d. Get sold an extended warranty, all kinds of HDMI cables and overpriced accessories, and told they can't match the price.
e. If I'm lucky and they DO match the price, know that I still have to pay 6% sales tax where buying from Amazon I won't.

I wouldn't even bother heading to Best Buy. Maybe if they had a match + 10% policy, then yes. If the best they can do is argue with me and then match another vendor's price, why don't I always just buy from the other vendor?

Unless I need it in less than 48 hours of course, then Best Buy makes sense. But who buys a $1000+ TV and NEEDS to have it in their house in the next 2 days and can't wait?

^

Another trick many shops use now is they try and sell you the extras and if you say no then "Oh sorry looks like we don't have that in stock..."

Yet when you get home its still listed and probably can order for pickup.

Can't wait until a nation wide tax becomes available for online orders. You guys are down voting BB because you have to pay tax, they can't control that; your state does.

amhidogha said:   yoregano said:   robby69 said:   When will BM stores price match BestBuy.com?

Where do you see that? It says Buy.com, not bestbuy.com

Snipped from the article:
At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor’s store and these designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, … WalMart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com ®. [...]

BestBuy would have to start handing out free lattes and hot dogs at the door just to get me in the store. Too little, too late, BB.

ProfitAfterRebates said:   BestBuy would have to start handing out free lattes and hot dogs at the door just to get me in the store. Too little, too late, BB.

Nice try circuit city...

mainomega said:   Can't wait until a nation wide tax becomes available for online orders. You guys are down voting BB because you have to pay tax, they can't control that; your state does.

I believe that most of us are voting them down because of their business practices. For that reason, I don't believe that price matching will end showrooming at BB. BB will probably not actually sell many goods in a price match situation.

cajundavid said:   mainomega said:   Can't wait until a nation wide tax becomes available for online orders. You guys are down voting BB because you have to pay tax, they can't control that; your state does.

I believe that most of us are voting them down because of their business practices. For that reason, I don't believe that price matching will end showrooming at BB. BB will probably not actually sell many goods in a price match situation.

agreed. I have yet to be able to price at best buy (or even Sears). The only good thing about them is they really don't hassle you with returns.

Money talks, BS, I mean BB walks.

my sales tax is near 9%(Peoples Republic of California). I can wait for most anything to ship.........

in other news, Bestbuy will now require that their manufacturers alter their part #s very slightly--so that everything is "bestbuy exclusive"

Princeoid said: The "Return and Exchange" period is being cut in half to 15 days from its previous length of 30 days.

I'm surprised that folks aren't perturbed by them halving the return period, presumably for all customers... even those who didn't make a purchase with a price match and those who never price match. Seems like this is BB's plan to offset/cover the cost of all of those price matches.

Frys wouldn't be bad for me, as I have to pay sales tax anyway on it... like for blank dvds and small stuff like that... 5 minute drive to best buy, hour to Frys...

mainomega said:   Can't wait until a nation wide tax becomes available for online orders.

Are you a Democrat or BB employee?

expert5186 said:   in other news, Bestbuy will now require that their manufacturers alter their part #s very slightly--so that everything is "bestbuy exclusive"

I hate that....

If an item was cheaper at Amazon, I cannot see why I would go through the effort of price matching
I have prime, for $4 I can often get it the next day
Usually in store pickup is slower than finding the item yourself and taking it to the register
Things come and go in cycles and we are going back to the cycle of mail order started with Sears

expert5186 said:   in other news, Bestbuy will now require that their manufacturers alter their part #s very slightly--so that everything is "bestbuy exclusive"

kind of like wally world "demanding" special SKU's from major brands otherwise they wouldn't be able to find a place for their product on the shelves.

Try again, BB.
Maybe you could partner up with Hooters and their hostesses? That would be one way to cause temporary mental meltdown to some and make them buy your high prices.

GeekyOne said:   expert5186 said:   in other news, Bestbuy will now require that their manufacturers alter their part #s very slightly--so that everything is "bestbuy exclusive"

kind of like wally world "demanding" special SKU's from major brands otherwise they wouldn't be able to find a place for their product on the shelves.

So it will be time consuming and difficult, if not impossible, for consumers to even compare Best Buy's prices to other retailers... reducing the number of approved price matches and wasting people's time. The more I learn about the various details of this new price match policy, the more it sounds like just another big business ploy to take advantage of consumers. Make people think they are getting a deal when you are actually limiting buyer's options/rights and making it harder for them to return stuff, unless they buy into a rewards programs that may make them less likely to return purchases and lose points... then try to sell them other stuff once you get them through the doors.

dishdude said:   Until you get to the BB and they give you a hard time trying to price match. Easier to just buy it from the lower priced store.

I actually pricematched a Skyfall blu-ray disk at BB on Monday. Granted, that's a minor purchase and the printout I had was from Fry's.COM and not the B&M that was 35 miles away. He didn't even blink and knocked $5 off immediately to match.

As far as the other poster alluding to "After Tax", Amazon charges tax in Tx; I do run all my purchases considerations through Am@zon while shopping, and if the choice is between Am@zon + tax or B&M + tax, then 80% of the time I choose Am@zon. They have Amazing customer service and there's just something cool about getting FS and having purchases waiting for me at home, instead of burning $4/gal gas.

Well if things are pretty equal, I will chose best buy every time. I pass by it everyday, and I'm in Texas so there is tax online. Best buy has easy in store returns. Amazon returns are a minor pain at best (good luck returning a TV to Amazon). I personally don't get all the Amazon fanboys these days (and I'm a prime member).

Stunner2xx said:   cajundavid said:   mainomega said:   Can't wait until a nation wide tax becomes available for online orders. You guys are down voting BB because you have to pay tax, they can't control that; your state does.

agreed. I have yet to be able to price at best buy (or even Sears). The only good thing about them is they really don't hassle you with returns.

One time I bought a radar detector on sale at BB dot com that came with a FREE mount and power adapter. The radar, mount, and adapter were located at two different stores for pickup. When I picked up the radar and mount, I told them I don't want to drive to another store to get the free adapter, so just cancel it.

Well, they automagically (and retroactively) charged my credit card for the FULL amount of the radar and mount...without telling me.

When I saw my credit card statement and blew a fuse, they said I should have known all three items must be purchased together to get the discounted bundle price...even when two of the items in the bundle were "free."

To recap: Because I failed to pick up a free power adapter, BB retroactively billed me the full price on my radar and mount (which was free in the first place!)

I can totally imagine them doing something sleezy to decline price matches.
"What? Amazon raised its price an hour after you left the store? Must have been a price mistake, so we'll retroactively charge you full price."

Skipping 7 Messages...
Just tried at a B&M to get them to pricematch Newegg, but they said they couldn't because Newegg isn't in their system. Wondering if this retailer is for bestbuy.com orders only?

This was in Atlanta, GA.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014