• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
It is official now. Lets see how it all shakes out for us customers

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
i apologize for dragging this back up, but I was curious because OD usually would have some kind of FARewards thing goin... (more)

VivYip (May. 24, 2013 @ 12:52p) |

agree Mets, have noticed the lack of free a/rewards offers at OD. If they aren't going to offer them, this is the last q... (more)

MISTERCHEAP (May. 24, 2013 @ 7:49p) |

just a little bump (in part due to the rolling of rewards for this week and in part due to the changing of Office Depot'... (more)

VivYip (Jun. 18, 2013 @ 1:37p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

LetsGoMets1 said:   Details coming soon

hurry post them! I'm curious....hope OD is buying OM and not the other way around.

Probably take awhile to shake out what this means for us. Generally not good, more stores the better.

rumor mill

JamesTKirk said:   Probably take awhile to shake out what this means for us. Generally not good, more stores the better.

rumor mill

Thanks....couldn't link from my phone where I was at!

MISTERCHEAP said:   hurry post them! I'm curious....hope OD is buying OM and not the other way around.Definitely hope OD survives (or at least its policies) and not OM. I do not have a convenient OD. OM is, but I almost never shop there, the only time in the past year was for the discounted gift cards on BF. Would be very upset if the surviving company had OM's no rebates policy.

JamesTKirk said:   Probably take awhile to shake out what this means for us. Generally not good, more stores the better.
On the other hand, it could force Staples to be more competitive with a stronger competitor.

billrubin said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   hurry post them! I'm curious....hope OD is buying OM and not the other way around.Definitely hope OD survives (or at least its policies) and not OM. I do not have a convenient OD. OM is, but I almost never shop there, the only time in the past year was for the discounted gift cards on BF. Would be very upset if the surviving company had OM's no rebates policy.

OD is the bigger fish of the two, but we've seen smaller fish gobble up big fish before. I agree, hope OD is the driving force and their policies win out. Not to mention, OD closed all it's stores near me about 4 years ago, closest is 20 mins away. Have an OM 2 miles away, so getting OD back close by would be super!

OD seems to be weaker around here. Staples is still my preference - especially with Easy Rebates. So much easier.

Never did like having two "Office" stores. Never could remember which was which in my city. Let's see, was that sale at the store down the street or the other Office across town?

Link to news story... > WSJ Article

miqie said:   Never did like having two "Office" stores. Never could remember which was which in my city. Let's see, was that sale at the store down the street or the other Office across town?
What Office Depot rewards are by far the worst

I've read OM has much better financials.

Office Depot is not great, but much easier to monetize...

i'm only sorta surprised that OM has better financials....they're the smaller company...OD has had probelms the past few years...

Combined company should honor each other's GCs, or maybe time to cash out?

This is interesting for my town, which has both... and no Staples.

nvm

Until I discovered Fatwallet's spin on the game of ink recycling, I honestly couldn't figure out why any of these office stores were in business. The typical prices there are usually noncompetitive. Now that I am there monthly I see the various specials and 100% rewards deals they frequently offer and have actually shifted a number of purchases there for products that I used to buy at other stores. I use a variety of rewards, price matching, rebates, etc., to really do well at each. It's been an eye opener.

The closest OM to me closed down a couple of years ago. Next closest is an hour away, a bit inconvenient to take advantage of their GC deals. Wish OD ran similar deals, as it is half the distance.

billrubin said:   JamesTKirk said:   Probably take awhile to shake out what this means for us. Generally not good, more stores the better.
On the other hand, it could force Staples to be more competitive with a stronger competitor.

Maybe but you seem to be only taking advantage of OD. Since I use both rewards programs at OD/OM I'm going to lose out in some way.

I foresaw this coming years ago. Not sure if this would be better or worse for consumers. The new store should be called "the Office Place".

suuave said:   I foresaw this coming years ago. Not sure if this would be better or worse for consumers. The new store should be called "the Office Place".

It's sorta only a matter of time before OD and OM merged (I think there always have been talks between the two since 2005 or even earlier...it's just that they fell out usually...sorta like borders/barnes and noble)

OM is smaller but safer financially...

OD is larger with problems (they expanded and then had to close a whole bunch of stores)

I think this will be worse for consumers because of less "real"(?) competition... (there'll only be Staples and whatever this new company will be...though most smart shoppers will go to Amazon/costco/warehouses)

Dang... wouldn't be able to call it Office Despot anymore.
DepotMax?

jwardl said:   Dang... wouldn't be able to call it Office Despot anymore.
DepotMax?
When Staples tried to buy OD a few years ago (and was discouraged due to anti-trust laws), the combined company was going to be known as Staples, The Office Depot.

jwardl said:   Dang... wouldn't be able to call it Office Despot anymore.
DepotMax?

PotMax sounds better.

JamesTKirk said:   Maybe but you seem to be only taking advantage of OD. Since I use both rewards programs at OD/OM I'm going to lose out in some way.Correct, I do not bother with recycling at OM because there is no way to cash them out. If this goes thru and you currently recycle at both stores, you will lose $20 a month in recycling.

billrubin said:   JamesTKirk said:   Maybe but you seem to be only taking advantage of OD. Since I use both rewards programs at OD/OM I'm going to lose out in some way.Correct, I do not bother with recycling at OM because there is no way to cash them out. If this goes thru and you currently recycle at both stores, you will lose $20 a month in recycling.

...or more likely you will lose all ink recycling at all retailers. HP stopped subsidizing retailer ink recycling over a year ago and the market for retailer branded refilled ink cartridges is now dead. These ink recycling programs offered are now funded 100% by the retailers which is a big overhead for them. The ONLY reason any of them still offer ink recycling is because their competition stills offer it. If any of the three stop recycling the others will follow and end their ink recycling programs as well.

miller24 said:   This is interesting for my town, which has both... and no Staples.
We have both too, and a large Staples warehouse, but no Staples retail store. Go figure.

I vote for Office Squared or Max D. Pot

Interesting. There has been an OM in my town for going on 20 years, going back to the good 'ol days when everything had a great rebate. (Remember all those FAR CD drives, spindles of CD-Rs, etc.?) About six or seven years ago, an OD opened but lived less than two years. I too have essentially not shopped at either store in several years due to inconvenience and/or lack of deals. I am curious to see how this plays out, though Staplez remains the only office store where I can find a way to do regular business.

I am really skeptical on this one!

Why have the Staples ink offers alwaysrequired a $50 HP ink buy, including this week?

I don't know, but I really am skeptical about Staples eating the recycling cost, especially since they sort HP vice non-HP ONLY.

surprised no one prefers om over OD. om has the best washing of rewards on free after rewards items and consistently runs items.

crazypalooza said:   surprised no one prefers om over OD. om has the best washing of rewards on free after rewards items and consistently runs items.

main reason imo is there is no way to monetize your rewards at OM, you are constantly stuck "washing" rewards.

MISTERCHEAP said:   crazypalooza said:   surprised no one prefers om over OD. om has the best washing of rewards on free after rewards items and consistently runs items.

main reason imo is there is no way to monetize your rewards at OM, you are constantly stuck "washing" rewards.

Opportunities occur. I cashed out hundreds buying Windows 8 and Ebaying it. Made nice profit on each sale besides. I used to cash out on Kodak cameras then selling on eBay till a year or two ago when they started restricting cameras from coupon use.

BTW this merger/purchase seems official now.

so, Office Depot will be the dominant one of the two?

OfficeMax shareholders will get 2.69 Office Depot common shares for each share they own. At Tuesday's closing prices, the deal would be valued at $13.50 per share, or $1.17 billion, based on 86.7 million shares outstanding as of October 26.

other places are confirming the deal too: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/02/20/office-depot-officemax-merge/1932189/

JamesTKirk said:   BTW this merger/purchase seems official now.

YES! does sound like from the Yahoo article that OD is really buying OM. Merger is sometimes a misleading word, but in this case, seems like OD will be the driving force.

I AM SO HOPING they keep the OD policies and ink recycle set up, rebates, etc.

Good news hopefully for me anyway! since my OD stores closed 4 years ago, but I have an OM close by that I never visit, guess that will change.

I just got an email from OM announcing the merger:
Link

I guess a lot OM stores will close soon. We have OM and OD almost next to each other. I really don't shop at business supply stores that much. I did got a $100 desktop at Staples while back, but I hasn't spend a penny after that. It has been 6 months. I think the merger is good for the business.

I only have OM, and it's not the biggest city. I seriously wonder if they will stay open in the long run (it's always completely dead in there). I guess I'll be using my rewards to buy something(s) useful one last time. I guess I'm going to try to exit as gracefully as I can the rolling of rewards I have been doing for 2.5 years now.

Skipping 18 Messages...
just a little bump (in part due to the rolling of rewards for this week and in part due to the changing of Office Depot's rewards program)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-10/business/chi-officemax-office-depot-merger-20130610_1_merger-vote-ravi-saligram-ftc

possibly out of context, but it was interesting to me:
Analysts say they expect Ravi Saligram, 56, chief executive of OfficeMax, to be named chief executive of the merged companies. "Ravi is younger -- and is doing a great job," said Wintermantel. "He knows OfficeMax inside out, he knows the industry, that would be smart (to hire him)."

Office Depot chief Neil Austrian is in his early 70s. He was tapped in 2011 to take the helm after former CEO Steve Odland stepped down in 2010.

The all-stock deal calls for Office Depot to issue 2.69 new shares of common stock for each outstanding common share of OfficeMax.

more recent, just in case: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20130611-704367.html

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014