• Text Only
rated:

Member Summary

Hess Gas Station (115.03kB)
Thanks Buckmann
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
From the Hess Toy Truck Facebook page:

To those of you who have questions about our retail stores and the toy truck progr... (more)

billrubin (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 8:16a) |

Just in case of what?

LiquidSilver (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 11:31a) |

In case the state prohibited self-service, the company wanted attendants to roller skate so they could fill up cars fast... (more)

larrymoencurly (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 5:55p) |

Too bad... they had decent prices, free air for tires and same price for cash or credit which is increasingly rare around here... oh well
Also they handled Hurricane Sandy well and kept going unlike other chains. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-09/why-hess-stations-recovered-faster-from-sandy They even supplied gas to rivals during that period...

Wonder if this will mean no more Christmas Trucks?

YAY! I made the mistake of going to Hess a few times.

Please enter your your zip code!
Would you like a car wash?
Would you like a receipt before we pump your fuel?
How about a snickers bar?
Press 1 to get fuel, then 2 for more fuel

They are the most annoying POS fuel stations ever thought of. I don't even know my zip code for some cards depending on which i use, due to moving and the wifes card having different numbers.

Hess owns the NY Jets..

keaton85 said:   YAY! I made the mistake of going to Hess a few times.

They are the most annoying POS fuel stations ever thought of. I don't even know my zip code for some cards depending on which i use, due to moving and the wifes card having different numbers.

First off, the credit card company requires the zip code, that happens at many gas stations at self swipe pumps.

And any station that has a car wash asks the same thing, the receipt option is AFTER you're done pumping. again, same at all stations on the receipt option.

as for the snickers bar, I doubt that's true, no way to get a snickers bar from them outside inthe freezing cold.

Don't let the Hess Truck run over you on the way out.....

Maphatlal said:   Hess owns the NY Jets..

that likely explains their current mess!

I don't think we ever had Hess out here, but we used to have Giant, one of the first self-serve chains here. Giant's stations were designed for roller skating, just in case.

Oh great, less competition. Been buying my gas at these places for years. Hope somebody takes over their retail outlets.

Wal-Mart aka Murphy's Express and Sheetz basically put Hess out of business around here.

digitaldoc said:   Oh great, less competition. Been buying my gas at these places for years. Hope somebody takes over their retail outlets.

Sheetz, most likely.

In other words, "bend over"

MISTERCHEAP said:   keaton85 said:   YAY! I made the mistake of going to Hess a few times.

First off, the credit card company requires the zip code, that happens at many gas stations at self swipe pumps...
I think it is at any unattended POS kiosks.

All the red? Haha it was a joke about the snickers bar. I guess people like their Hess stations?

It's probably just my region that has extremely poor stations. I have had nothing but trouble with them and no other station that I have been to in New England has ever asked for my zip code.

Maphatlal said:   Hess owns the NY Jets.. that likely explains their current mess!

actually: founder Hess owned the football Jets, but after his death, they were sold to Robert Wood Johnson IV, family member of the Johnson & Johnson company

MISTERCHEAP said:   
First off, the credit card company requires the zip code, that happens at many gas stations at self swipe pumps.

And any station that has a car wash asks the same thing, the receipt option is AFTER you're done pumping. again, same at all stations on the receipt option.

Actually, many ask up front if you want a receipt. Amusingly, one time I accidentally pushed yes for car wash, then cancelled. They somehow never ended up charging me for the gas.

And all the questions can be a pain sometimes. I was at a station recently where the display was not working properly, and was unreadable at night. I had to get out my Smartphone and fire up the flashlight app to be able to read it.

Agreed that the zip code prompt is for the credit card companies, but not all pumps ask for it.

All of our Hess stations in my area converted to Sunoco about 8 years ago or so.

off topic, I hate the Ralph's (Kroger's) gas stations (but they're cheap). The stupid pump always asks "Would you like a snack?" If you hit Yes, it would display "Snacks and treats available!". If you hit No, it would display "Snack and treats available!". Makes you want to punch it.

eeagle said:   Wonder if this will mean no more Christmas Trucks?

I wonder that too. Maybe it means all the other collectible Hess stuff will go up in value over time? Hubby has a massive Hess/Texaco collection that I would LOVE to sell, knowing full well that it isn't worth much these days...

WAWA FTW.

Could it be that Thortons and WaWa killed off Hess? On a side note, does anyone remember Pick-Kwik, the Tampa-based chain? Hess bought the Pick-Kwik chain and kill the name off in the late 1990s.

Refurb gasoline killed Hess.

dXb147 said:   Could it be that Thortons and WaWa killed off Hess? On a side note, does anyone remember Pick-Kwik, the Tampa-based chain? Hess bought the Pick-Kwik chain and kill the name off in the late 1990s.

Don't remember Pick-Wick. And, I also never saw Thortens or WaWa either.

We stop at the Hess stations around Florida when we visit Walt Disney World. They had good prices and clean restrooms. Another tradition that fades with time.

Here in NJ, I remember watching attendants repaint the curbing around the pumps when business was slow. (White paint)

Not many HESS in my city, but I see many gas stations change to unnamed gas and a few completely close up shop. Going with the Dino.

gas termination sale... sweet.

keaton85 said:   All the red? Haha it was a joke about the snickers bar. I guess people like their Hess stations?

It's probably just my region that has extremely poor stations. I have had nothing but trouble with them and no other station that I have been to in New England has ever asked for my zip code.
You must not get out much, or always go to the same company stations. In MA/NH, probably half of the companies require a zip code.

There are a couple of Hess stations in my area, and while I'll miss going there I won't miss their "no CCs for MC GC purchases" policy. I've never had good luck w/Wawa gas, it seemed like every time I went to one I'd have car trouble afterward (then again, it could have just been my car, lol!)

Shame..growing up in NJ everyone got Hess trucks for christmas, although in the past decade thier trucks just sucked...I would say that this could only help the value of Hess trucks...

Hunny156 said:   eeagle said:   Wonder if this will mean no more Christmas Trucks?
I wonder that too. Maybe it means all the other collectible Hess stuff will go up in value over time? Hubby has a massive Hess/Texaco collection that I would LOVE to sell, knowing full well that it isn't worth much these days...
From the Hess Toy Truck Facebook page:

To those of you who have questions about our retail stores and the toy truck program, we want you to know that itís business as usual at all of our Hess retail stores. Our long-standing commitment to competitive prices and high quality customer service will not change. The Hess brand is strong and valuable and will live long into the future. And yes, the Hess toy truck program, which has been a tradition for 48 years, will continue. Thanks so much for your support.

So it seems like the plan is to spin off the stations and have them continue to operate as Hess, and still sell the trucks. Or so they claim.

larrymoencurly said:   I don't think we ever had Hess out here, but we used to have Giant, one of the first self-serve chains here. Giant's stations were designed for roller skating, just in case.Just in case of what?

LiquidSilver said:   larrymoencurly said:   I don't think we ever had Hess out here, but we used to have Giant, one of the first self-serve chains here. Giant's stations were designed for roller skating, just in case.Just in case of what?In case the state prohibited self-service, the company wanted attendants to roller skate so they could fill up cars faster.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014