Discount on Macy's Furniture?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am about to buy a dining room set from Macy's furniture. Although FW offers a CashBack of 2.5%, it does not work for furniture; one has to call in for furniture or buy it in-store.
It is not in my DNA to buy anything at full price, so if anybody has any ideas/suggestions on how to save a buck or a hundred, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Member Summary

The best time of the year to buy furniture is January or July, so if you're set on purchasing the set from Macy's, you'd probably hit a better sale if you wait.

You should be able to negotiate some kind of a discount -- especially if you say you might/will buy their warranty. It is not unreasonably priced and you get a full refund of the premium at the end of the warranty term paid as a Macys gift card if you don't use any of the benefits during the coverage period.

Go talk to a sales person and ask them to let you know when the set is on sale. Then just wait it out.

Any chance you live near one of their clearance centers? Click for Macy's Clearance Centers

you can always open a Macy's card

Wait a week, it will go on sale. Macy's has discounts all the time, never buy anything there at full price.

Look for the sales circular in the Sunday paper. At some time, there will be furniture in it.
Also Memorial Day may have retailers offering big sales.

As others have stated, just wait for the next sale, it's coming soon. Make sure you really inspect the furniture when it's delivered. I purchased a living room set there years ago, and they wound up delivering 7 sets before getting one to us that was not damaged. None of the damage was major, but it was a new set, and I expected a new set, not a dinged-up set. Even their white-glove delivery screwed up!

They eventually got it right, but we had to go in-store to see a manager. On the way out, we took a look at their clearance center. Sure enough, there were all the sets that we had rejected, with varying discounts depending on the damage. Had they offerred me the discount during the delivery, I would have kept the original set...

Find a friend who works for Macys and they get 20% additional discount . They would have to use their credit card to make the purchase

You can find good deals! We found a Sherrill brand swivel rocker lounger, retail $2700, for $279. The matching ottoman, retail $799, for $160. Best chair I've ever had ...

I guess I have to ask why you're buying furniture from Macy's? If it's a brand of furniture (i.e. not made for Macy's), you can buy it cheaper via a furniture company in North Carolina. We haven't bought furniture in a long time, and the company we used back then is no longer in business, but I can tell you the savings vs. buying at a store, for name brand furniture, was very large.

Wow - lots of great ideas. I wasn't even aware of their outlet centers or the details of their furniture warranty. The set I am looking for is already on sale ($1,500 vs. $2,000), and I tried to negotiate. They declined since it was already on sale.
So, I thought to ask on FW, which worked.
I'll try some of the avenues suggested, including getting it straight form the manufacturer.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

Look for discounted Macy's GC too on gift card resellers. I had previously purchased about 2k in gift cards using 5% CC CashBack for online puchase and the cards themselves were 12% off. 'Stacks' on sales prices to make a killer deal. Did a living room purchase like that and a partial home remodel like that (Home Depot)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014