• 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
No contract.
Pay $99 up front, then $20/month for 20 to 24 months depends on iPhone or S4

This seems like a great deal discussion

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
That's what I thought, just checking though. Thanks.

pthor1231 (Apr. 01, 2013 @ 2:48p) |

How much would the iPhone cost if I want to use it with the $30 WalMart 4G prepaid plan?

LongDongSilver (Apr. 06, 2013 @ 3:47a) |

yes it is in the app store

Alex778 (Apr. 24, 2013 @ 9:30p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You pay lump sum up front and are committed to 20 to 24 months. I don't understand how this is not a contract?

you have to option to pay in full or payment plan + interest I believe?

isn't this how most countries outside of the US handle cellphone situations?

T-Mobile announced today that qualifying customers can get an iPhone 5 for $99.99 down, plus monthly payments. T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless company to offer iPhone 5 with no annual service contract plus unlimited talk, text and Web on a screaming-fast nationwide 4G network. And because there are no annual contracts, customers make the decision when to upgrade their devices - not the carrier.

jangell2 said:   You pay lump sum up front and are committed to 20 to 24 months. I don't understand how this is not a contract?
despite the network's use of the "UnCarrier" brand, its version of the iPhone 5 will be locked to T-Mobile until the phone is completely paid off.

pay full up front and they will unlock it.
You are not committed to a service contract. If you opt to pay monthly for the phone you are committed to that payment, not service. You should be able to take the phone to a T-Mobile MVNO while it is locked, and just pay T-Mobile for the device.

T-Mobile Un-leashes iPhone 5 With Incredible New Pricing and No Annual Contracts
Becomes first major wireless company to eliminate service contracts; debuts 4G LTE network in seven major metropolitan areas

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/26/t-mobile-iphone/

finally! i have tmobile and always wanted an iphone

This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!
Yes you can pay for the cost of your phone over x amount of months, but it isn't a contract, there is no interest on splitting the cost up. Just a nice option for those who cannot afford the cost of the phone up front.
Think about it, how many people want to line up every year there is a new iPhone, regardless if they just got last year's model, AT&T doesn't allow you to upgrade that way anymore, and you would have to end up buying the phone off contract but still have to serve the rest of your existing contract term anyway.

wwon717 said:   you have to option to pay in full or payment plan + interest I believe?

There is no interest if you want to break up your payment for the phone over time.

stampgranny1 said:   finally! i have tmobile and always wanted an iphone

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a Nexus 4 or an S4 if you aren't already locked into the Apple ecosystem.

Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!
Yes you can pay for the cost of your phone over x amount of months, but it isn't a contract, there is no interest on splitting the cost up. Just a nice option for those who cannot afford the cost of the phone up front.
Think about it, how many people want to line up every year there is a new iPhone, regardless if they just got last year's model, AT&T doesn't allow you to upgrade that way anymore, and you would have to end up buying the phone off contract but still have to serve the rest of your existing contract term anyway.

This. People do not understand that this is win win. You can finance your phone just like in the past when they had subsidized phones, or you can buy it outright and pay less on your monthly bill. If you want to cancel service, go ahead at any time and pay no ETFs of any kind! T-Mobile is doing it right.

jtroye32 said:   stampgranny1 said:   finally! i have tmobile and always wanted an iphone

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a Nexus 4 or an S4 if you aren't already locked into the Apple ecosystem.

I'm on tmobile and will be switching from android to my first iPhone. I would say the opposite of what you stated but I know people choose android or iOS based on personal preference. There is no clear winner for everyone.

jimates said:   T-Mobile announced today that qualifying customers can get an iPhone 5 for $99.99 down, plus monthly payments. T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless company to offer iPhone 5 with no annual service contract plus unlimited talk, text and Web on a screaming-fast nationwide 4G network. And because there are no annual contracts, customers make the decision when to upgrade their devices - not the carrier.

jangell2 said:   You pay lump sum up front and are committed to 20 to 24 months. I don't understand how this is not a contract?
despite the network's use of the "UnCarrier" brand, its version of the iPhone 5 will be locked to T-Mobile until the phone is completely paid off.

pay full up front and they will unlock it.
You are not committed to a service contract. If you opt to pay monthly for the phone you are committed to that payment, not service. You should be able to take the phone to a T-Mobile MVNO while it is locked, and just pay T-Mobile for the device.

T-Mobile Un-leashes iPhone 5 With Incredible New Pricing and No Annual Contracts
Becomes first major wireless company to eliminate service contracts; debuts 4G LTE network in seven major metropolitan areas

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/26/t-mobile-iphone/

OOPS never mind, I messed up the math
Now it makes sense

jangell2 said:   You pay lump sum up front and are committed to 20 to 24 months. I don't understand how this is not a contract?Agreed.. but if you want a family plan, this is a ridiculous deal.
5 lines would be $110/month. iPhone would be $580 total ($100 + $20/month for 24 months)
Final cost per month per line would be $46.. and that includes the price of the phone.
That is cheap.

T mobile is just seeing the writing on the wall, contract plans are pretty expensive, i was over $70/mo for 1 line with no data when i finally went with a no contract plan, and it seems the majority of folks on FW have done the same, the big boys better jump to it, or get left behind

KayK said:   jangell2 said:   You pay lump sum up front and are committed to 20 to 24 months. I don't understand how this is not a contract?Agreed.. but if you want a family plan, this is a ridiculous deal.
5 lines would be $110/month. iPhone would be $580 total ($100 + $20/month for 24 months)
Final cost per month per line would be $46.. and that includes the price of the phone.
That is cheap.

And less than the normal retail price of $650.

The new T-Mobile phone will have the same model number but a newer firmware. Currently the older models will not be upgradeable to the same firmware.

jtroye32 said:   Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!

This. People do not understand that this is win win. You can finance your phone just like in the past when they had subsidized phones, or you can buy it outright and pay less on your monthly bill. If you want to cancel service, go ahead at any time and pay no ETFs of any kind! T-Mobile is doing it right.

Disagree. There is no free lunch and there is no benevolent carrier. This is a marketing campaign which is highly effective in making consumers believe a fundamental shift has taken place.

Anyone who finances their phones is now worse off than they were before these changes. T-Mobile now unlocked the freedom to raise plan rates and to introduce new fees while keeping a mechanism to lock-in consumers.

While some consumers will keep their devices longer than 2 years, will BYOD, or buy a used device, most consumers will clearly say "wow, iPhone for only 69/99 upfront".

The first fee will be a LTE network fee, either via a price hike or a new add-on charging users with devices who access the LTE network.

Second, nationally, T-Mobile has by far the worst network. For some the network may be great, but for most it's not so great and T-Mobile is elevating themselves to be on par with ATT & Verizon despite the fact most of their network still has GPRS/EDGE only outside of major roads and traffic corridors. Value for those users is terrible. Eg, I leave in a large city in Maryland, and I have full LTE coverage available from Sprint, AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile upgraded my area to HSPA+ and also just lit up LTE, but where I live which is only miles from the city core, we're still EDGE/GPRS only.

KayK said:   Agreed.. but if you want a family plan, this is a ridiculous deal.
That is cheap.

Not sure $46 is realistic for iPhone? You would need 2GB/month, and more if you have teens.
So $66/month on T-Mobile is a little more realistic.

AT&T would be $62/month per phone for 24-months(for 5 phones sharing 700-mins) unlimited text, with 3GB data and $199 ea phone cost factored in.

robby69 said:   KayK said:   Agreed.. but if you want a family plan, this is a ridiculous deal.
That is cheap.

Not sure $46 is realistic for iPhone? You would need 2GB/month, and more if you have teens.
So $66/month on T-Mobile is a little more realistic.

AT&T would be $62/month per phone for 24-months(for 5 phones sharing 700-mins) unlimited text, with 3GB data and $199 ea phone cost factored in.

umm.. 500MB at 4G speeds.. unlimited at 2G afterwards.
700 minutes shared between 5 lines for AT&T = 140 minutes each. With TMobile it's unlimited minutes.
ETA: is the 3GB in your plan shared? or is it 3GB per line?

KayK said:   umm.. 500MB at 4G speeds.. unlimited at 2G afterwards.
700 minutes shared between 5 lines for AT&T = 140 minutes each. With TMobile it's unlimited minutes.

Agreed on the unlimited minutes, but with rollover, I think we have ~3,000 mins in the bank.
3GB per line @ 4G "lite" speeds on iPhone 4S or higher.
I assumed you meant 3G, and not 2G...

Really wasn't trying to thread crap, just wanted to point out you have to dig down deep into all the carriers plan to compare your specific needs to see which is the best deal.

Even the WalMart Straight Talk for $45, ends up being $72 for 24-months and they throttle your unlimited data to almost unusable speeds after 2GB

It all depends on the persons usage. I have att with grandfather package 1100 mins on family plan 3 iphones. 1 phone have unlimited data and 2 phones have 200MB. I am paying $200 a month. It would be cheaper for me to go with tmobile buffet style

outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!

Disagree. There is no free lunch and there is no benevolent carrier. This is a marketing campaign which is highly effective in making consumers believe a fundamental shift has taken place.

Anyone who finances their phones is now worse off than they were before these changes. T-Mobile now unlocked the freedom to raise plan rates and to introduce new fees while keeping a mechanism to lock-in consumers.

While some consumers will keep their devices longer than 2 years, will BYOD, or buy a used device, most consumers will clearly say "wow, iPhone for only 69/99 upfront".

The first fee will be a LTE network fee, either via a price hike or a new add-on charging users with devices who access the LTE network.

Second, nationally, T-Mobile has by far the worst network. For some the network may be great, but for most it's not so great and T-Mobile is elevating themselves to be on par with ATT & Verizon despite the fact most of their network still has GPRS/EDGE only outside of major roads and traffic corridors. Value for those users is terrible. Eg, I leave in a large city in Maryland, and I have full LTE coverage available from Sprint, AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile upgraded my area to HSPA+ and also just lit up LTE, but where I live which is only miles from the city core, we're still EDGE/GPRS only.

I think the point is that we need transparency in pricing...any carrier can raise thiere rates at any time, whats to stop them?

tydas said:   outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!

I think the point is that we need transparency in pricing...any carrier can raise thiere rates at any time, whats to stop them?
ETF's are invalid at that point.. and a user can just take their iphone (which they might have paid only $200 for) to some other carrier.
With this plan, since there is no contract (or I should say there is a contract for the device only), they can raise the plan price to say $55 after 2 months and you wont be able to do anything.. since there is no contract.
This is like a prepaid plan.. with post paid features and post paid billing.

jtroye32 said:   stampgranny1 said:   finally! i have tmobile and always wanted an iphone

TOTALLY RIGHT!!

This is a good explanation of the significance of the T-Mobile change Forbes

From Article:

'Consumers Will Appreciate The True Cost Of A Smartphone

The artificial pricing of smartphones makes it incredibly difficult to decide between handsets. When all the ‘top’ smartphones are $100, and the ‘mid-range’ handsets are $50, consumers will gravitate to the phone with the highest spec… even if the actual cost is closer to $800. Thanks to the subsidy (which of course is paid back in higher monthly charges) there is a huge disconnect between perceived and actual costs.'

outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!

The future will tell.. For now you are speculating fees and price hikes. All you are stuck paying for is the handset if you cancel your service, which you can pay off and take to at&t or prepaid if T-Mobile screws you.

jtroye32 said:   outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!

The future will tell.. For now you are speculating fees and price hikes. All you are stuck paying for is the handset if you cancel your service, which you can pay off and take to at&t or prepaid if T-Mobile screws you.

How am I speculating? Over any 24 month period since 2000, when has a carrier failed to raise rates and change plans for new customers? I think there are a lot of AT&T (unlimited data), Verizon (unlimited data) and to some degree Sprint (SERO) who are thankful for the contracts they signed which enable them to keep their old plans.

The larger point is T-Mobile is trying to say they came along and offered something radically different. They didn't. They only changed the packaging. As another posted noted, it's pre-paid service with post-paid constraints.

outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!

How am I speculating? Over any 24 month period since 2000, when has a carrier failed to raise rates and change plans for new customers? I think there are a lot of AT&T (unlimited data), Verizon (unlimited data) and to some degree Sprint (SERO) who are thankful for the contracts they signed which enable them to keep their old plans.

The larger point is T-Mobile is trying to say they came along and offered something radically different. They didn't. They only changed the packaging. As another posted noted, it's pre-paid service with post-paid constraints.

Anything that hasn't happened yet is speculation. The trend might be to raise prices like you said and it might happen in the way you said, but if they want to keep their customers and attract new ones, then they have to tread lightly.

outtawhack said:   As another posted noted, it's pre-paid service with post-paid constraints.Um.. no.
I said "This is like a prepaid plan.. with post paid features and post paid billing."
I didnt say constraints.
I for one welcome this change. And will love paying $93.75 a month TOTAL (<$19 per line) after 15% corporate discount for 5 line family plan, each with unlimited minutes, text and 500 MB 4G/2G afterwards.

outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   outtawhack said:   jtroye32 said:   Xunantunich said:   This is really a great idea, which I'm sure the other major carriers are going to have to adopt. No contracts. Pay for your device and use whichever service suits your needs, just great!

Its great that you are locked into a nicely priced plans but what about the rest of us? Obviously, T-Mobile does not have as good a network as Verizon, but theier network is definetly competive with the rest of the us carriers...if you are ok with paying $70 per line with Verizon than more power to you...

Have they fixed the MAPS in the iPhone yet?

KayK said:   outtawhack said:   As another posted noted, it's pre-paid service with post-paid constraints.Um.. no.
I said "This is like a prepaid plan.. with post paid features and post paid billing."
I didnt say constraints.
I for one welcome this change. And will love paying $93.75 a month TOTAL (<$19 per line) after 15% corporate discount for 5 line family plan, each with unlimited minutes, text and 500 MB 4G/2G afterwards.

Is this Simple Choice Plan - Unlimited Talk + Text? It requires a $10 SIM card or your own phone. I see that it would be $93.50 for 5 lines, plus fees/taxes. Does the 500 MB data 4G included unlimited data at 2G afterwards?

As I explained to MustSav3 in PM, the plan I am talking about is the regular family plan now on TMobile site. Just go to the following link and select 5 lines : http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/family-plans.aspx
Cost would be $110 per month.. which after 15% discount comes down to $93.50/month.

Question: How do you come up with $72/month for Straight Talk? I'm averaging ~$41.70 per month.

robby69 said:   KayK said:   umm.. 500MB at 4G speeds.. unlimited at 2G afterwards.

Agreed on the unlimited minutes, but with rollover, I think we have ~3,000 mins in the bank.
3GB per line @ 4G "lite" speeds on iPhone 4S or higher.
I assumed you meant 3G, and not 2G...

Really wasn't trying to thread crap, just wanted to point out you have to dig down deep into all the carriers plan to compare your specific needs to see which is the best deal.

Even the WalMart Straight Talk for $45, ends up being $72 for 24-months and they throttle your unlimited data to almost unusable speeds after 2GB

Diamond60606 said:   Have they fixed the MAPS in the iPhone yet?Apple put google maps back in the app store, it's free.

i work at retail cellphone store, and this is by far the best thing happen to tmobile. i have seen many bills w/ crazy overage charge from all carriers, this new plan put an end to all of the crazy overage. this is the lowest price for family plan. no other plan, prepaid/postpaid/mvno can compare to this newer plan. if you have a good coverage at work and at home w/ tmobile, you can't go wrong with this plan. for those query about the increase in price, i don't think that will happen, it doesn't make any sense for the network to raise price on no contract plan. once you in the plan, the plan is lock till you change it, if they come out w/ newer plan, your plan will become grandfather and stay at the same price. i beleive wireless will get cheaper and cheaper as time come, so far, that has been the case as carries keep dropping price on their plan.

new T-Mobile plan:
pros:
great price for family plan, none other can come close.
allow voice roaming outside of T-Mobile network at no charge, i.e. at&t...
no more crazy overage
super fast internet speed where available
no contract, no activation fee

cons:
single plan is not very competitive with mvno or prepaid plan
coverage for internet is not as good as verizon and at&t, although, T-Mobile CEO stated that they are invested 4 billions to build the 4G network, so hopefully they will get better over time.

KayK said:   outtawhack said:   As another posted noted, it's pre-paid service with post-paid constraints.Um.. no.
I didnt say constraints.

The 15% discount (I am assuming that is the T-Mobile Advantage Program), is that only for post paid plans, or does it work for the prepaid like the 100min/unlimited data / 30 bucks a month plan?

pthor1231 said:   KayK said:   outtawhack said:   As another posted noted, it's pre-paid service with post-paid constraints.Um.. no.
I didnt say constraints.

The 15% discount (I am assuming that is the T-Mobile Advantage Program), is that only for post paid plans, or does it work for the prepaid like the 100min/unlimited data / 30 bucks a month plan?
post paid only.

That's what I thought, just checking though. Thanks.

How much would the iPhone cost if I want to use it with the $30 WalMart 4G prepaid plan?

Skipping 1 Messages...
yes it is in the app store

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014