Advice on tire purchase

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My car (huyndai 2004 elentra) needs a new set of tires. However, to change it at costco or samclub would cost me 700-800$ which i can't afford. Therefore, I decide to buy tires online which would be much cheaper. But I had questions: When the sites sell tires, they sell it together with the wheel or just the tire by itself and how to balance the car tire at home. I am a noobie in this and don't know anyone to ask for advice. So if anyone can help and share experiences, I am very appriciated. Thank you.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
There's no reason to make such a generalization about lines and wait times. That is always going to vary based on all ki... (more)

yoregano (Apr. 15, 2013 @ 12:15p) |

Good of you to recommend round tires and not square or trapezoidal tires.

yoregano (Apr. 15, 2013 @ 12:17p) |

My last flat fix at Costco, 1.5hours.
My last flat fix at America's Tire Co, 22mins

forbin4040 (Apr. 15, 2013 @ 4:07p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Plenty of sites for you to research tires/specs/included items and find out if they price match, etc.

I only see the Hyundai Elantra. That might be your issue.

And 700-800 for tires when the car is not worth that much? I got 17" tires for my work car at Costco for $600 out the door. Don't get the Pirelli P-Zero W rated tires for your "Elentra".

Can't afford tires for a Hyundai?

Seriously? Take the bus or ride a bike then.

And please don't try balancing your tires at home, you'll likely chip a nail...

Goto TireRack.com find your tires you want , then find out their nearest dealer for installation. Order and wait a week. go in for install. (Typically $25 a tire). Done

duynguyenfug said:   My car (huyndai 2004 elentra) needs a new set of tires. However, to change it at costco or samclub would cost me 700-800$ which i can't afford. Therefore, I decide to buy tires online which would be much cheaper. But I had questions: When the sites sell tires, they sell it together with the wheel or just the tire by itself and how to balance the car tire at home. I am a noobie in this and don't know anyone to ask for advice. So if anyone can help and share experiences, I am very appriciated. Thank you.

What type of tires were they trying to sell you at those prices? I hope they have 24k gold lettering on the sides.

You can score some off of Tire Rack/eBay for half of that or less than what you were quoted and have WalMart mount and lifetime balance/rotation for 50 bux extra.

I think the Tire Rack mentioned above is a good idea.

OP, when you buy the tires on-line you need to make sure all the numbers match what is on the car now. It will be something like P195R6514 where P=Passenger Car 195 is the width in milimeters, R=radial, 65 is the aspect ratio height to width and the 14 is the diameter of the wheel or rim

You will need to make sure all numbers are the same as what you have so they will match. Sometimes you can make minor changes to the with (195) and the ratio (65) to come up with other combinations that are roughly the same overall height, but you can't vary the 14 number or the tires will not fit the rims you have.

You wil need to buy the rubber tires and have them shipped to you. You will then have to take them and your car to a local shop that will mount and balance the tires onto your existing rims. Probably an independant shop vs a large chain. They will charge $25-$30 per tire and maybe a disposal fee on the old tire.

Good luck

Costco price should include mounting, lifetime balancing, new valves stem, nitrogen tire fill, road hazard warranty and old tire disposal. Go for the the BFG or Bridgestone tires - not the more costly Michelin. I've "collected" on the hazard warranty several times - replacement is based on tread wear but nothing in my cases.

I used discounttires. Free shipping. My 4 215/60 r 16 General tires costed me $350 after the MIR. Got it mounted and balanced at a neighborhood used tire shop for 15 a piece. You can score tires for elantra for a little cheaper.

A quick search on TireRack seems to indicate that the Elantra sedan uses 195/60/15's which should be a cheap tire. There are plenty of decent ones in the $70-$90 range per tire. You can't mount and balance tires on your own, the equipment is too expensive for a one time job. The best way is to decide on a particular brand and do a search for that particular tire. TireRack doesn't always have the lowest price. Plus when you buy online, most places will charge you to mount and balance the tire, but if you buy it from their store, they usually just charge you to balance the tire. Most stores also price match so it's easier to find the lowest price online and bring that to a local tire place that will price match and have low mounting/balancing charges. While you end up paying sales tax, it's easier to buy local if you have any warranty issue. Or you can just get a cheaper brand at Costco, they must have quoted you the Michelin Primacy which is $152 online, the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A would be acceptable at $97. If you're going to mail order, Yokohama Avid Ascend at $80 each from TireRack has decent specs and a long tread wear warranty.

forbin4040 said:   Goto TireRack.com find your tires you want , then find out their nearest dealer for installation. Order and wait a week. go in for install. (Typically $25 a tire). Done

Or go to Discount Tires and ask them to price match.

duynguyenfug said:   My car (huyndai 2004 elentra) needs a new set of tires. However, to change it at costco or samclub would cost me 700-800$ which i can't afford. Therefore, I decide to buy tires online which would be much cheaper. But I had questions: When the sites sell tires, they sell it together with the wheel or just the tire by itself and how to balance the car tire at home. I am a noobie in this and don't know anyone to ask for advice. So if anyone can help and share experiences, I am very appriciated. Thank you.

Check your search. You couldn't hit that price at Costco even with their most expensive tires. And you can get Cotco tires for your car for less than $100 a tire. No idea how you came up with $700-$800

And, of course you can balance your own tires. Just buy one of these

And, no, when you buy tires, they do not include the wheel rims

You get the tire only and not the rim. You can't balance at home, equipment costs.

Buy the tires online and pay WalMart to balance and put them on. My local WM charges like $7 a tire.

Do you have TPS? If so I think those have to be reset which my local WM charges $20 a tire.

Go outside and look at your tire and post the size and brand. It would read something like the format of 175-70-15

The fact that buying tires online is confusing to you scares me. Makes me wonder if you should be driving.

I've found that Discount Tire usually has better prices that Tire Rack when you consider all the costs involved. Their website gives you a complete out-the-door price quote which is easier than figuring all the add ons of online ordering. I guess you need them now but they usually run rebates every couple months as well. Free lifetime rotation, balancing and flat repairs too which you should figure into the lifetime cost of the tires.

I'd suggest you get the tires shipped directly to the store near you where they can be mounted. I'd decline the nitrogen fill, or whatever they wanna call it, is a rip off. Also, you may wanna check out your local Big O Tires; they're having few rebates on certain tires.
Tires could be expensive (~$500 for four tires, mounted, warrantee...).

I was searching and like to throw this place in the mix. Free shipping .. which really means already included in the price. But anyways ....
http://www.discounttiredirect.com

Sears.com CashBack link Goodyear Eagle GT - 195/60R15 88V SL BSW - All Season Tire......there is 40 dollar rebate..+ use coupon SEARS35OFF300AFFILIATEDEALS and SYWAUTO75 if you are Sears rewards member..free to join.. use the installation from them.. the tire rotation and valve..it will be Pre-tax Total$373.79... but you get back the Cash Back+ $40.00 rebate +$75.00 in Sears reward points cash..

Dont my tires already have a valve stem?

Generally, wheels are not sold when one asks for tires. Is it possible that you have been asking the folks over at costco/SamsClub to quote wheels + tires?
Even if that's true, then $800 is cheap for wheels + tires.

Look wal-mark.com, they usually have cheap tires online that will ship to store for free. $10 install per tire include the valve stem, $10 per tire for road hazard. I find the road hazard is worth the price, since I was able to use it get 2 new tires so far due to road construction in my area.

There's a lot of useful advice here. I suggest discounttire.com. A 2004 Elantra uses 195/60R-15. This site explains everything you need to know about tire sizes/numbers. These tires start at $59 each. You don't need to by wheel/rims unless yours are damaged. I like Discount Tire online because they offer free shipping and no sales tax to me in CA. You can even buy the tire warranty and valve stems online, too. It's cheaper than buying through the local stores. Once you receive them, take your tires to a local Discount Tire for mounting, installation, and balancing. Give them a call on labor pricing; for me, it was $20/tire. Repeat this process for Tire Rack, Evans Tire, Sears, etc to see who has the best price.

I quit buying tires from Costco after they screwed me over in service and tire credit from their "warranty". Discount Tire does price match and they are pretty much service oriented. I've used the Falken Ziex 512s for years and was pretty happy with them. It's an older tire so stock might be difficult. I have a different car now and might try Kumho ecoWing KH30 since people have reported quieter ride and better mileage.

For your Elantra:
$236 4 tires x $59
$ 10 4 valve stems x $2.50
$ 80 4 mount/balance x $20

$326 TOTAL (Does not include warranty at $10-$15 per tire)

In order to save more money down the road, get a 4-wheel alignment after you get your tires installed. This will keep your tires from wearing out too soon. Rotate your tires about every 7,000 miles. Discount Tire will do this for free.

Damage or heavy wear to your steering, brakes, or suspension components will likely cause your tires to wear unevenly. An alignment will not prevent this. Get those parts fixed if needed.

dhilpert said:   I've found that Discount Tire usually has better prices that Tire Rack when you consider all the costs involved. Their website gives you a complete out-the-door price quote which is easier than figuring all the add ons of online ordering. I guess you need them now but they usually run rebates every couple months as well. Free lifetime rotation, balancing and flat repairs too which you should figure into the lifetime cost of the tires.

I really like Discount Tires.
I once went in with a bad tire, expecting to buy 2 new ones. The guy looked at the tire, sad it just needed a simple repair.
They fixed it free and it wasn't even one of theirs!

http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTire/

www.discounttiredirect.com - find the tires there and cross reference their ratings/reviews from www.Tirerack.com. DTD is free shipping and no tax for most states, you can buy tires only or with wheels (free mount and balance). The most economical way for me is to buy tires only from DTD and have a local garage to mount and balance including disposal fee for my old tires for $50 (I'm in Cali). i was able to get a set of kumho optimo 727 for 16" for low $300-ish granted there was rebate from DTD at that time. Good luck!

new car = new tires

my advice on tires, get round ones, avoid the tires that are flat on one side

pietromoon said:   new car = new tiresBut ... you can't buy a new Crown Vic.

Another vote for Discount Tire. Consider it an investment - something you don't want to do often. You may end up paying a few $$ more, but will get a fair deal, excellent service and support, stores in most major US metropolitan areas.

shank said:   Another vote for Discount Tire ... stores in most major US metropolitan areas.Not a single store in the entire Northeast (VA to ME).

You probably just need new tires.
It is around $400+ tax at Costco.

Price per Tire: $89.99

Plus $14 installation package and $1 disposal fee per tire. Shipping and handling included.

Bridgestone - Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position
Item #: 465494

Tire Size: 195/60R15 88H
Tire Type: All-Season
Sidewall: Black Letter

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position gives premium sports car owners a solid all-season tire and a performance tire wrapped up in a racy looking package! Traction is the key, and exclusive technology delivers in both wet and dry-even as the tire wears. Silica and a leading edge sipe add to the wet/dry adaptability. If you want undaunted performance when the weather switches gears, go with the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position.
3D Shape
Arc Shape Leading Edge
Dual-Layer Tread
Hydro Evacuation Surface (HES)

----------------------------
BFGoodrich - Advantage T/AŽ
Item #:655229

TireSize: 195/60R15 88T
Sidewall: Black Sidewall

Price per Tire: $86.99

Plus $14 installation package and $1 disposal fee per tire. Shipping and handling included.

--------------------------------------

Advantage: Costco tires come with included Road Hazard protection.
That can cost around $14 additional per tire at other retailers.

Costco also gives you free tire rotations.

atlanticfisherman said:   You probably just need new tires.
It is around $400+ tax at Costco.

Price per Tire: $89.99

Bridgestone - Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position
Item #: 465494

Tire Size: 195/60R15 88H
Sidewall: Black Letter

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position gives premium sports car owners a solid all-season tire and a performance tire wrapped up in a racy looking package! Traction is the key, and exclusive technology delivers in both wet and dry-even as the tire wears. Silica and a leading edge sipe add to the wet/dry adaptability. If you want undaunted performance when the weather switches gears, go with the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position.
3D Shape
Arc Shape Leading Edge
Dual-Layer Tread
Hydro Evacuation Surface (HES)

----------------------------
BFGoodrich - Advantage T/AŽ
Item #:655229

TireSize: 195/60R15 88T
Sidewall: Black Sidewall

Price per Tire: $86.99

--------------------------------------

Advantage: Costco tires come with included Road Hazard protection.
That can cost around $14 additional per tire at other retailers.

Costco also gives you free tire rotations.

In this month's coupon book, which starts today, there is a coupon for $70 off 4 Bridgestone Tires.

Costco bridgestone savings
Disclaimer
Take advantage of the savings like mentioned with the new $70 coupon at Costco.
That gives you added savings of $17.50 per tire ($70/4).

Wow, someone who didn't even post in this thread gave me red for helping the OP get $70 off his tires. WTF?

mpattdu said:   Wow, someone who didn't even post in this thread gave me red for helping the OP get $70 off his tires. WTF?They must hate costco!

ask Discount Tire to price match Costco. it can be done. if you don't succeed at first then talk a different person. i've purchased tires at both. Costco is good for getting new tires but they have long lines any time you need a flat fixed. Discount is great working the long lines to fix a flat -- they only do tires.

Order 4 of these tires...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel...

take them to Wal-Mart and they will install them. Ask for the lifetime balance so you can bring them back and get them balanced/rotated for the life of the tire.

Those are all round good tires and will last a good amount of time.

xit said:   Costco is good for getting new tires but they have long lines any time you need a flat fixed. Discount is great working the long lines to fix a flat -- they only do tires.
There's no reason to make such a generalization about lines and wait times. That is always going to vary based on all kinds of factors. I've never had an unreasonable wait getting air or a flat fixed at my local Costco. And Discount is good at moving the lines along because they only do tires? Well Coscto is pretty good too, because the tire dept. likewise only does tires. (Well, maybe batteries, too.)

Marlin1975 said:   Those are all round good tires and will last a good amount of time.
Good of you to recommend round tires and not square or trapezoidal tires.

yoregano said:   xit said:   Costco is good for getting new tires but they have long lines any time you need a flat fixed. Discount is great working the long lines to fix a flat -- they only do tires.
There's no reason to make such a generalization about lines and wait times. That is always going to vary based on all kinds of factors. I've never had an unreasonable wait getting air or a flat fixed at my local Costco. And Discount is good at moving the lines along because they only do tires? Well Coscto is pretty good too, because the tire dept. likewise only does tires. (Well, maybe batteries, too.)
My last flat fix at Costco, 1.5hours.
My last flat fix at America's Tire Co, 22mins

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014