• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No charge if you purchase the tix on their website

pucksave said:   No charge if you purchase the tix on their website not the case for the soft drink...$1.99 for all.

But they give you the entire soda can, not just a small cup like before.
Gee, thanks! (sic).

Never flown them before, so doesn't effect me.

The time has come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYspsgIjb4U

^ Alaska ad (1987)

Seems like a great opportunity for a new airline. Call them "No Bullsh!t Air".

Ticket price gets you:
  • Checked baggage
  • Choice of seats
  • Ability to change ticket
  • Drinks/Snacks
  • Pillow/Blanket
  • Carry Ons
  • Sensible boarding, from the rear of the plan to the front w/o any preferential boarding
  • No frequent flyer/bonus programs
  • etc... etc.

Sure the ticket price would be higher than others' starting base price, but it seems many would choose this option to not suffer the death of 1,000 cuts in airline fees.

Sounds like they found a way to give their employees back their 10% of salaries that were cut a few years ago.

I flew SAS (scandinavian Airlines) after a two hour delay they charged $5.00 for a can of coke, and they are calling themselves a premium airline. Before long they will charge for everything, they already all charge for letting you pick your seats. So it cost extra if you want to sit beside the person you are flying with even though you bought the tickets together.

This is the thanks the taxpayers get for bailing out the airlines after 911. I said back then and I will say it now, they should have been allowed to go out of business.

darrcook said:   

Sure the ticket price would be higher than others' starting base price, but it seems many would choose this option to not suffer the death of 1,000 cuts in airline fees.

Sadly they would go out of business super fast when no one is buying their tickets purely based on "price".

People hate bundling or no gimmicks business nowadays, it's the culture the corporations have done a great job of ingraining into everyday life.

Think of your hypothetical airline as the airline equivalence to JC Penneys. Doing the right thing, possibly lowering prices, but not catering to the "masses" that just want "cheap" tickets even if it's an illusion and even if at the end of the day they're paying more for the product.

I might get a lot of flack for this but you can see the same thing happening on Fatwallet where a "deal" is often just a company shaving a couple percentage points off their hugely inflated retail prices and people eat it up like the company is doing the right thing by "dropping" their prices.

It's manufactured good will and "no bullshit" companies will go out of business because they're trying to play ethically in an incredibly unethical business world.

suderduperloo00p said:   Never flown them before, so doesn't effect me.
dito nor will I do it now.

I fly them a lot and I think this is going to far. They are one of the airlines where it is easiest to get status on though (15k miles or 25k miles) so a business traveler with a larger amount of travel will not pay those fees and get a full can. The people that fly once in a while tend to buy the cheapest tickets without regards to much else. It will be a real pain though for the flight and gate attendants to figure out all of this.

USAirways charged for soft drinks for a little while. I know, I had to pay for it since I sprinted during a connection they were late for and had to drink SOMETHING and that was my only choice.
However, they changed their mind a few months later and soft drinks are now again free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014