xbox one

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
http://news.yahoo.com/event/xbox-release-date-announcement/

for the a-holes from finance....go back to the swamps from which you came

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Awesome post! Thanks for the information. /s

Makes me think its for the first one. But this is a new model.

No backwards compatibility seems extremely odd to me...

ChinaRider said:   No backwards compatibility seems extremely odd to me... Xbox 360 is built on a PowerPC architecture. Xbox One is built on the x86 architecture. It's too bad it won't be backward compatible but not really surprising.

Yeah, I get the technical aspect and the reason it's not backwards compatible, I just think it's odd. They're alienating a (substantial?) number of users who won't upgrade simply because they don't want to give up / repurchase all of their games.

They could have easily (or maybe not so easy, but without a doubt possible) set it up so that you could play games you already own via the 'Live' service, or whatever it is they use these days. If I remember what I read correctly, PS4 will do just that, and it's converting to an x86 architecture as well.

Like I said, odd to me. Matters not to me, as I don't use xbox.

ChinaRider said:   Yeah, I get the technical aspect and the reason it's not backwards compatible, I just think it's odd. They're alienating a (substantial?) number of users who won't upgrade simply because they don't want to give up / repurchase all of their games.

They could have easily (or maybe not so easy, but without a doubt possible) set it up so that you could play games you already own via the 'Live' service, or whatever it is they use these days. If I remember what I read correctly, PS4 will do just that, and it's converting to an x86 architecture as well.

People that already have an XBOX 360 have nothing to worry about, they already have an XBOX 360.

ChinaRider said:   Yeah, I get the technical aspect and the reason it's not backwards compatible, I just think it's odd. They're alienating a (substantial?) number of users who won't upgrade simply because they don't want to give up / repurchase all of their games.

I have a very extensive collection of xbox360 games so I was disappointed it's not backwards compatible, but here's the deal:
1) From what I understand, MS doesn't intend the Xbox One to be a complete replacement for Xbox360 - they'll still be selling the 360 in parallele for a little while - so it's not like all those games instantly become garbage.
2) When they made the switch from xbox to xbox360, only a handful of titles were backwards compatible. I think there's a pretty large investment in making titles backwards compatible.
3) The difficulty with the "xbox live" method you describe is that it's very difficult for them to authenticate license for game discs - once I claim all the titles I own, I could presumably just lend my discs to a friend and they could claim all the same titles. Certainly for xbox live arcade titles, this is less of an issue since the licence is tied to the account, but for games on disc it's impossible to stop abuse.
4) MS isn't alone. PS4 will not be backwards compatible. The current generation fo PS3 is not backwards compatible with PS2 games. Only a subset of Wii games are playable on the Wii U.

Like I said, I'm disappointed, but not surprised at all. I think I'll start dumping some of the titles (give to friends, sell on eBay, trade-in) and will likely hang on to my xbox 360 for a while after buying the xbox one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014