• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Note: If the mods don't think this topic fits in the Deal Discussion forum (under "consumer alerts" or something?), I'm fine with it to be moved to Off Topic.
=====

On a thread a few months ago in Hot Deals about the Wunderground site, I mentioned that it would be great to have a weather forecast for barometric pressure / weather-related migraines.

A couple of members responded to my comment, and one mentioned that Wunderground charts historical barometric pressure by airport location. It is at: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHPN/2012/11/9/Month... That is great to know about, although past barometric pressure is only part of the puzzle.

Just today, I noticed that Accuweather.com has a migraine forecast as part of their local weather forecasts.

I have only just found it, so I don't know what factors they analyze, but this might be pretty handy for the proportion of migraine sufferers who are sensitive to the weather.

Here is an example migraine forecast for Boston: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/allston-ma/02134/migraine-weath...

Member Summary

I didn't before, but I have a feeling I will now.

oh I have for many many years..

Do you get migraines when the pressure changes in either direction?

Slickone said:   Do you get migraines when the pressure changes in either direction?

Studies indicate that there are people who do react to the pressure's going in both directions, while other people only get migraines if the pressure goes in one direction or the other.

Most of my barometric-pressure-related migraines happen when the pressure suddenly lowers. I think that's the most common type of pressure-related migraine.

I can feel it even when a storm is pretty far away (several hundred miles), if the storm is powerful enough. I've had two really bad headaches over the past few days, as that deadly-Oklahoma-tornado-producing storm has approached and passed over my area.

As the jet stream has lowered its position in the last year or so, and also has become more turbulent in its positioning (roaming all around on top of my region), I am getting more related migraines than I used to in this region. Previously, the worst area I'd ever lived for weather headaches was Boston with all the nor'easters.

===
I don't know how accurate those new Accuweather forecasting tools are, since the other night I checked it when it was already dark out and raining hard, yet their "lawn and garden" forecast said it was "good for mowing the lawn" right then.

They also have a hair frizz forecast, with, no kidding, an "emergency" level of the liklihood of experiencing hair frizz. Yesterday the entire East Coast was highlighted in red for a hair-day "emergency".

At least they are trying new things out.

Yes I get weather-related migraines, and yes often when the barometric pressure decreases.
I know quite a few people who have moved to southern California from other places who now get them (and never did in the place they moved from).
But I often find the forecasts to be inaccurate. I get them often during times they say the risk is low.
So I'd take the forecasts with a grain of salt and not rely too heavily on them.

gooddealie said:   I know quite a few people who have moved to southern California from other places who now get them (and never did in the place they moved from).

But I thought the weather was supposed to be nearly perfect there!

^ Couldn't it be smog related too?

Slickone said:   ^ Couldn't it be smog related too?

I think smog has been shown to contribute to breathing issues, mucus membrane irritation, lung damage, cancer later in life, etc., but not migraine headaches. I've never seen smog on a list of typical migraine triggers (like MSG, red wine, too little sleep, so on and so forth.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014