Sam's Clubs "B.S." "Price Match" "Policy"

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Sears.com Ad for item in question
Disclaimer
SOooo.... It seems they only price match "competitors" (which they define as CostCo and B.J.'s), and only within 7 days of date of order.

They don't consider Sears, Sears.com or even their own retail (non-membership club) store WalMart a "competitor". And they don't post their alleged 7-day exclusion policy anywhere! The Supervisor did, however, say she would notify the web site people so they might actually post this somewhere a customer could actually find it! Glad I could help them with that one!!!

Interesting facts: It took them 8-days to ship it, so it was outside the (unposted) return period before it ever shipped. I would return it and buy it from Sears.com but since it arrived late I did get an adjustment which actually made it cost about the same as the current price at Sears.com.

Of course the lawn mower in question (which is now about $35 less than what I initially paid for it) is covered by their Customer "Satisfaction" policy, so it is returnable for 90 days. They just may see it back at the end of the season!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Then go to he back of the store in a couple of days where they markdown returns and buy it for half price...lol

Sams b&m has horrible customer service. The worst was their dress shirts that were unpackaged, but still had pins in the shirts all laid out on their clothing tables for shoppers prick themselves with. I got poked and bled and told them this is bad news for curious kids and babies sitting in shopping carts. The manager said he would "look into it." The lady at the cs counter rolled her eyes. I only shop at Costco now.

Broom99: LOL! (That ain't bad!)...

Yeah... Unfortunately, CostCo doesn't carry battery-powered electric mowers!

nxs4ever said:   ... told them this is bad news for curious kids and babies sitting in shopping carts. Watching kids (and ensuring their safety) is the parents responsibility, not Sam's.

They don't even price match with another Sam's Club withing 20 miles away

Must be nice for all of these stores to pick and choose their competitors with the "100% Price Match" guarantees. Office Depot customer service told me once that Amazon.com (not an Amazon reseller or anything) wasn't competition to Office Depot. They wish!

I have a couple high priced electronics items I bought from Sams' Club right before they stopped their lifetime return policy. I emailed their corporate office who confirmed I will be grandfathered in to the old return policy if I purchased before the date the policy changed. I also printed news stories confirming this.

It's gonna suck to be them when I bring those two items back one day.

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   Must be nice for all of these stores to pick and choose their competitors with the "100% Price Match" guarantees. Office Depot customer service told me once that Amazon.com (not an Amazon reseller or anything) wasn't competition to Office Depot. They wish!
Price matching is not in the Bill of Rights. If they choose to do it, they get to make up the rules.

Lvscott said:   I have a couple high priced electronics items I bought from Sams' Club right before they stopped their lifetime return policy. I emailed their corporate office who confirmed I will be grandfathered in to the old return policy if I purchased before the date the policy changed. I also printed news stories confirming this.

It's gonna suck to be them when I bring those two items back one day.
And why would you know you are going to return the items "one day"? Already planning to abuse the return policy? Ever wonder why they stopped the lifetime returns?

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   nxs4ever said:   ... told them this is bad news for curious kids and babies sitting in shopping carts. Watching kids (and ensuring their safety) is the parents responsibility, not Sam's.

I can see by the red posts above that this isn't going to be popular, but I have to agree with NoMoneyInMyPocket - it is the parents' responsibilities to assure their kids' safety. There are lots of other dangers lurking in stores (think tools, knives, toiletries, etc.), and not everything is packaged. Your child's safety should be your priority. Suing a store is not going to bring much comfort if the worst happens.

(I know it's off topic, but I think it's an important subject.)

msrazzle said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   nxs4ever said:   ... told them this is bad news for curious kids and babies sitting in shopping carts. Watching kids (and ensuring their safety) is the parents responsibility, not Sam's.

I can see by the red posts above that this isn't going to be popular, but I have to agree with NoMoneyInMyPocket - it is the parents' responsibilities to assure their kids' safety. There are lots of other dangers lurking in stores (think tools, knives, toiletries, etc.), and not everything is packaged. Your child's safety should be your priority. Suing a store is not going to bring much comfort if the worst happens.

Every store has dangers, what's important to me is the store's staff at least pretend to listen to a customer's concerns, even if it's an angry customer who just got pricked by a pin and is bleeding and upset. But having a store employee roll her eyes at me is not cool. You guys replying to what I'm saying are more courteous than the lady getting paid to be the "customer service" person at that Sam's location...

nxs4ever said:   msrazzle said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   nxs4ever said:   ... told them this is bad news for curious kids and babies sitting in shopping carts. Watching kids (and ensuring their safety) is the parents responsibility, not Sam's.

Every store has dangers, what's important to me is the store's staff at least pretend to listen to a customer's concerns, even if it's an angry customer who just got pricked by a pin and is bleeding and upset. But having a store employee roll her eyes at me is not cool. You guys replying to what I'm saying are more courteous than the lady getting paid to be the "customer service" person at that Sam's location...

Seriously? You're complaining about a pin in dress shirts that almost every clothing store ever has in their dress shirts, because it holds the shirt together and makes it presentable.

I bet if they get rid of the pins you would be complaining about how disorderly their dress shirts are and how they should display them better.

Complainers just love to complain and blame companies for every little thing when some common sense could have avoided you getting pricked in the first place. The store employee rolled her eyes at you probably because you were making an insane request to remove every pin from every dress shirt when every clothing store has pins in their dress shirts.

Good for Sams Club for not price matching every single business out there. Of course they're only going to match other membership stores, it would make no sense for them to price match WalMart or other stores that don't rely on a membership to drive business.

Granted their prices should be lower on average than the non-membership stores, but if the non-membership stores are doing sales to drive business to them instead of the membership stores, it makes no sense for Sams Club to price match and lose money.

I get that it's a deal site and we're all out for a deal, but abusing return policies, price matches, and "satisfaction" policies leads to higher prices for EVERYONE because the cost gets shifted to the customer.

Returning your mower(I'm assuming you'll have used it) at the end of the season is a dick move and so is holding on to high priced electronics and returning them years later.

Probably going to get a lot of red for stating the obvious and standing up for the business, but I for one don't want to pay higher prices just so people can abuse policies.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   nxs4ever said:   ... told them this is bad news for curious kids and babies sitting in shopping carts. Watching kids (and ensuring their safety) is the parents responsibility, not Sam's.

That's what you and I think. But, if something happens (not necessarily serious, just "something" that they can use to try to create their own lottery winning), and the parents run to a lawyer (which people didn't think to do when I was growing up, and lawyers couldn't advertise on T. V., like an ad in my area "If you suffered pain, you need law."), the lawyer will file an court action naming whomever has money (the store, the driver and his insurance company of the car that the child ran in front of from behind a parked car in the middle of the block, the transit authority that operated the train that didn't stop fast enough when the person jumped in front of it, ect.). The store then has 2 choices, either settle, or pay tens of thousands of dollars for the cost of defending the action, and possibly expert witnesses at around $5000. each, for a few hours, then lose anyway. Then it will be your's and my responsibility when we pay higher prices for everything.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014