No contract wireless family plans

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi All,

I have been searching for a while now and i don't see any valuable information on this topic. We have information in bits and pieces on different threads which does not give complete information. Here is my situation, recently got out of the ATT contract coz to the amazing admin fee. I have been searching for a viable family plan with no contracts. We are 4 in our family and all of us use smart phones with heavy data usage. I was searching for wireless plans with unlimited everything(voice+text+web). While i was running the search on google, did stumble upon this Best prepaid smartphone plans, but not sure if this is the final list.

From that list, i see that TMobile is the one which kinda of satisfies the need. I am seeing $180 for 4 as a monthly rate. Does FWF have a better recommendation?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yesterday?? Were you driving your DeLoren faster than 88 mph?

That has been T-Mob's standard rate for several months now... (more)

jaimelobo (Jul. 11, 2013 @ 1:02p) |

Have you considered Republic Wireless ?
They offer a great plan,IMHO.
$20/mth unlimited everything.
You have to purchase th... (more)

bping2 (Jul. 30, 2013 @ 9:01p) |

Have you considered Republic Wireless?
You have to invest in buying the phone(s) through them.
But your monthly cost would... (more)

bping2 (Jul. 30, 2013 @ 9:06p) |

• Also categorized in:

Are you entirely set on prepaid? We are on Sprint's EPRP for 4 lines of GS4s - and our total bill is $180+tax. The monthly bill is same - but we did get our subsidized GS4 for $150 each.

Net10 - http://www.net10wireless.com/#/plans/family

T-Mobile is a good idea, especially if you travel a lot. Sprint is hit or miss depending on where you are, so while it may be good at home, elsewhere might be spotty. My wife spends half the week traveling and has never had trouble with a signal, even in rural areas, since you can actually roam on T-Mobile prepaid, unlike most other prepaid plans. Virgin/Sprint were the worst for us, but again it depends on where you live and travel. For some it might be fine.

But since you already have GSM phones through ATT, switching to T-Mobile would let you keep the same devices and minimize expenses. Just be sure to get them unlocked by ATT before you switch, otherwise it will be difficult or cost money or both.

TrentSteel said:   never had trouble with a signal, even in rural areas, since you can actually roam on T-Mobile prepaid, unlike most other prepaid plans
is there a fixed price per minute when roaming that gets deducted from the available prepaid account balance ?

Check out Voyager Mobile. They are no contract, and use Sprint towers. If you have Sprint phones already, or purchase Sprint phones, they can set them up on their service (They do restrict certain phones i.e. Blackberry and Iphones). I believe their unlimited talk, text, and data is $39 plus tax monthly, per line. My math adds up to $156 plus tax for 4 lines. I've been with them since December 2012, with no complaints so far. When you call, you actually get to talk to a person...unheard of these days. It may not be the right service for you, but thought I would put out another option for your research.

T-Mobile/WM $30mo per line x4 = $120 mo.

The new TMobile plans are $50 for first line, $30 for second and $10 for each additional lines. So in your case, the total would be $100 for 4 lines.
You get unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB of data for each line.

Rightly so .. 500 MB will be spent in no time .. If I count unlimited without restrictions .. I am seeing $180 per month ..

KayK said:   The new TMobile plans are $50 for first line, $30 for second and $10 for each additional lines. So in your case, the total would be $100 for 4 lines.
You get unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB of data for each line.
Although OP said they were heavy data users, so another $20/line for unlimited data is where the $180 number came from.

If you are a new activation at T-Mob, they offer a $30/month plan with unlimited text and 5 Gig of data, but only 100 minutes of talk. Pretty good deal if you don't use your phone as a phone much.

LycaMobile is $29/month for unlimited voice+SMS+data (only 50MB at 4G speeds). I'm not sure if it throttles to 3G or Edge after the first 50MB.
I'm currently using the PAYG option. The carrier is T-Mobile.

Alcibiades said:   TrentSteel said:   never had trouble with a signal, even in rural areas, since you can actually roam on T-Mobile prepaid, unlike most other prepaid plansis there a fixed price per minute when roaming that gets deducted from the available prepaid account balance ?There is no additional roaming charge in the US.

Yes, i have seen the data being throttled from other MNVO options.. Net10 is not a good option just because of this..

You can try Republic Wireless. (http://www.republicwireless.com/) $19/month/line for unlimited minutes, texts and data. There are a few catches, not really catches but they try to keep you on WIFI as long as possible to keep costs down. They run off of Sprints network.
You can read more here:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/05/30/republic-wireless-19-f...

jaimelobo said:   If you are a new activation at T-Mob, they offer a $30/month plan with unlimited text and 5 Gig of data, but only 100 minutes of talk. Pretty good deal if you don't use your phone as a phone much. That's not a bad deal, except for their non-subsidized phone pricing (which their ads do a good job of hiding until you hear/read the fine print). Would work OK for the OP since they have AT&T phones they can use.

We pay $40 per month unlimited everything Att..pay as you go..

you have to use a T-moble phone sim card to change some settings before you use the att card...but husband set ours up..its better than the others since att covers a better area..we purchased a special card for it online at eBay... Straight Talk Micro SIM Card AT&T Activation Kit they don't sell these at WalMart anymore but we purchased them off eBay paid $79 for two.....IT IS UNLIMITED EVERYTHING and we use ours all the time .. you do have to use a
New T-Mobile Tmobile Micro Sim Card for iPhone to set the settings on you iphone first as the Straight Talk sim don't do that for you..hope this makes sense..

I've seen ting.com promoted quite a bit, you pay for what you use and it lets you calculate savings on the site

I'm pretty sure with Tmobile you get 500MB data at a fast speed, but anything after that is slower but you're not charged.

After a YEAR of using PagePlus $12/month plan, it's amazing.
Wi-fi makes my iPod Touch an iPhone with Talkatone, but it's even easier to just:

1. Buy used iPhone 4 for $150
2. Pay $144 every 12 months, no tax, unreal.

Sure, you could step-up to higher plans to watch Youtube more, but above $12??? If you "need" the $69.99 plan, admit it:
You are paying an extra $58 monthly...
That's $700 yearly...
To watch videos of cats...
While you're in-line at the grocery store...
Instead of on wi-fi, for free.

Define what to you is truly "The FWF Way" and good luck with whichever you choose!

ClearanceItem said:   After a YEAR of using PagePlus $12/month plan, it's amazing.
Wi-fi makes my iPod Touch an iPhone with Talkatone, but it's even easier to just:

1. Buy used iPhone 4 for $150
2. Pay $144 every 12 months, no tax, unreal.

Sure, you could step-up to higher plans to watch Youtube more, but above $12??? If you "need" the $69.99 plan, admit it:
You are paying an extra $58 monthly...
That's $700 yearly...
To watch videos of cats...
While you're in-line at the grocery store...
Instead of on wi-fi, for free.

Define what to you is truly "The FWF Way" and good luck with whichever you choose!

250 minutes, 250 text messages, 10 MB is nothing.
250 minutes are fine for me, but 250 texts would be used up in no time.. and 10MB would be used up just in MMS messages!
You NEED data at a lot of places where there is no wifi to check email, or to stream music, or to use phone as GPS, etc etc.

I have been using Ting for my daughter and myself. You can choose from a number of phones. I brought one off of eBay and Ting customer service was very helpful in getting it to work. You must pick from models which work with Sprint and is on Ting's list. Pay for what you use. Great customer service.

T-Mobile announced plan for unlimited talk and text and 500MB each line for $100 for 4 lines yesterday. After 500MB speed is throttled. Seems like a good option.

KayK said:   You NEED data at a lot of places where there is no wifi to check email, or to stream music, or to use phone as GPS, etc etc.You don't NEED to check email 24/7, you don't NEED to stream music (afterall, you "paid" for a music player in your phone), and finally get a "real" phone that supports offline GPS.

People NEED to understand the difference between needs and wants.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   KayK said:   You NEED data at a lot of places where there is no wifi to check email, or to stream music, or to use phone as GPS, etc etc.You don't NEED to check email 24/7, you don't NEED to stream music (afterall, you "paid" for a music player in your phone), and finally get a "real" phone that supports offline GPS.

People NEED to understand the difference between needs and wants.
Try getting radio streaming on that phone of yours. I pay $8 per month to listen to ALL music brand new and 50 years old.. rather than the music you either payed much more for or downloaded illegally.
Show me a "real" phone that's android based and has offline GPS. You will have to pay for maps in that case.
Yes I do need to check email/SMS/MMS. Not 24/7.. but every now and then. It's called connecting with friends and family and keeping an eye on your finances/getting a good deal.
FWIW: I am on the $30 TMobile prepaid plan. I pay $18 more than you per month, but I get so much more.

KayK said:   Try getting radio streaming on that phone of yours. I pay $8 per month to listen to ALL music brand new and 50 years old.. rather than the music you either payed much more for or downloaded illegally.
Show me a "real" phone that's android based and has offline GPS. You will have to pay for maps in that case.
Yes I do need to check email/SMS/MMS. Not 24/7.. but every now and then. It's called connecting with friends and family and keeping an eye on your finances/getting a good deal.
FWIW: I am on the $30 TMobile prepaid plan. I pay $18 more than you per month, but I get so much more.
First of all, "real" phones aren't android based. I have 2 Nokia phones with free music and offline GPS, which include free maps.

Actually, you pay $29.17 more per month. I'm on T-Mobile PAYG @ $10 per YEAR.

People have different priorities; being tied to a phone isn't one of mine. And my post was about NEEDS vs. wants.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   KayK said:   Try getting radio streaming on that phone of yours. I pay $8 per month to listen to ALL music brand new and 50 years old.. rather than the music you either payed much more for or downloaded illegally.
I have 2 Nokia phones with free music
Explain.
I'm not talking about putting on mp3's on phone in my post.

KayK said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   KayK said:   Try getting radio streaming on that phone of yours. I pay $8 per month to listen to ALL music brand new and 50 years old.. rather than the music you either payed much more for or downloaded illegally.
I have 2 Nokia phones with free music
Explain.
Nokia's come with "Nokia Music". Free streaming, create "Radio Stations", and you can download to play offline. Even the discount Nokia 521 comes with this and "Drive" (and other Nav stuff); all work off offline GPS and maps (US and other countries) are free to download.

More Info
Review

I bought one of the 521's more than a month ago and I still haven't activated it. I'm using it as PDA/media player/GPS/browser/mail checker/etc. - I have even made a few phone calls using Skype.

KayK said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   I have 2 Nokia phones with free musicExplain.
Nokia Mix Radio. The tunes you love, for free.

Nokia Mix Radio fills every moment of your day with free music. You can choose from over 150 mixes by experts, or generate your own playlists with the artists you love. Best of all, you can take your favorite mixes offline and listen when you’re not connected to a network. Share your favorite tracks with friends by posting links straight to your social networks, or by sending them in an email or via SMS. (Streaming or downloading music over your mobile data connection may involve the transfer of large amounts of data, so please check with your provider.)

While this isn't free streaming over data, you can download playlists via WiFi and play offline.

I'm not saying you're paying too much, I'm simply saying there are ways to get things in life for free or very cheap with a little extra effort. But, whatever works for the individual; afterall, we work to enjoy life.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   But, whatever works for the individual; afterall, we work to enjoy life. I pay extra to stream music to enjoy work.. other wise I would go nuts
But yes.. whatever works. Some people, unlike us, love paying $60-70-80 a month for their iphones..

siriusoracle said:   T-Mobile announced plan for unlimited talk and text and 500MB each line for $100 for 4 lines yesterday. After 500MB speed is throttled. Seems like a good option.Could you give a link to this offer please?

dkong said:   siriusoracle said:   T-Mobile announced plan for unlimited talk and text and 500MB each line for $100 for 4 lines yesterday. After 500MB speed is throttled. Seems like a good option.Could you give a link to this offer please?http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Cell-Phone-Plans.aspx?catgroup=Family&WT.z_unav=mst_shop_plans_family

siriusoracle said:   T-Mobile announced plan for unlimited talk and text and 500MB each line for $100 for 4 lines yesterday. After 500MB speed is throttled. Seems like a good option.Yesterday?? Were you driving your DeLoren faster than 88 mph?

That has been T-Mob's standard rate for several months now, since they announced the "No contract" pricing in April. ($50 for the first line, $30 for the second, then $10 for each additional)

OP has already mentioned that plan as being too little data for his needs and would have to pay the additional $20/line for the bump in data.

Have you considered Republic Wireless ?
They offer a great plan,IMHO.
$20/mth unlimited everything.
You have to purchase their phone to have WiFi calls, which helps reduce their cell phone tower usage. Towers are from Sprint.
I read about it first on a blog by Mr Money Moustache.

Have you considered Republic Wireless?
You have to invest in buying the phone(s) through them.
But your monthly cost would be $80 for 4 lines, which may be worth it for you if you stick with their service. Current phone price is $200, but discount $50 if you purchase two phones at the same time.
You can read about a blogger 's experience here.

Sorry for double post. The first one disappeared while I was typing with my tablet,and I thought I messed up my first post. I just noticed that I wrote info that complements each other.
I will give them a try when my current Mobile prepaid service $$ is depleted.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014