Teeth implant on Groupon

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
All

My wife needs 2 teeth implant. We don't have dental insurance and most won't cover implant anyways. I saw this deal on Groupon but still it's a big purchase $949 x2
Has somebody tried this type of deals from Groupon and how is the experience

Appreciate your input!
Andy

http://www.groupon.com/deals/fatemi-family-dentistry-l-l-c/discussion

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hello all,
I bought a coupon from Groupon. Visited Dr. Fatemi's denatl office.
Mr. Fatemi is a nice guy. He likes to talk ... (more)

VenkatCh (Sep. 19, 2013 @ 10:28a) |

My husband and I have been to Dental Schools in NY and their work sucks. I'm keeping the story short. Except for a clini... (more)

wwdme (Sep. 23, 2013 @ 5:58p) |

So true! He did same with us. $2800 estimate for bone drafting on the day of implant ...to our surprise my wife already ... (more)

samandy (Sep. 30, 2013 @ 12:46p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I bought a deal for laser vision correction and I couldn't be happier. I saved a few thousand $ and everything went smoothly. They were happy to have me as a customer and I received top notch service. I also did research on the DR before I pulled the trigger. I'm sure you've done the same. You may also want to check out some of the online dental discount service or call the Dr. involved with Groupon and see if they'll negotiate directly. Many times they will since they can avoid giving Groupon a cut. Good luck!

Why dental insurance doesn't cover implants is beyond me. I'm in the same boat so I guess I better start watching Groupon.

I liked your idea  to negotiate without Groupon
Thanks!!

remember the Groupon promise!

Looks like it does not include the extraction or the bone grafting. So, it may not be that good of a deal without those. Bottom line, call various offices and ask for ball park figures. Many places will charge a consultation fee as well. My extraction, grafting, and implant (no crown included) was about $2K.

A lot depends on who you are dealing with (And not Groupon). Read all fine prints and look at what the final cost you would be paying. I had purchased invisalign deal. The dentist was very shady in the sense that she had planned to provide you with unnecessary services and hence make money. Thankfully Groupon is a great company to work with and they will refund your money if you have any problems.

I did a Groupon for clear braces (like Invisalign) called Clear Correct. I read every review I could find about the Dentist/practice online, including Yelp. I thoroughly reviewed their website and pre/post pictures. I also verified the value of the deal using cost estimates for this brand specifically and this type of treatment in general. I was so hesitant/unsure the first time the deal was offered that I missed the deadline, but it was offered again a few months later and I jumped on it because by then I was satisfied that I was getting a good deal.

To maximize the discount, I:
1) purchased the Groupon through a Cash Back site (at the time FW had a double Groupon CB of 12%)
2) used a Cash Back credit card (only 1% for my particular card, but it adds up when spending 10s of hundreds)
3) submitted for reimbursement of out of pocket expenses against my FSA contributions (for for this reason alone, if FSA covers implants, I would wait, if possible, until can contribute the full cost of treatment during your next FSA enrollment before buying/getting treatment as thise could save you 25%-30% depending on your tax bracket)
4) submitted claim to my dental insurance for ortho benenfits (I know this is not an option for you)

My Groupon came with a free at home bleaching treatment (they said it was valued at $250, but I think $50 is more realistic), and they ended up giving me two more free bleaching kits during my treatment (really nice folks). All told, clear braces are estimated to cost $3,500 to $5,000, but I ended up paying a final cost of less than $500 out of pocket (less if you consider that the final tray are your retainers, which replaces my lost retainers from metal braces), found a top-notch aesthetic dental practice in an upscale part of town, and have great looking teeth. So, with some planning and research, as you are doing, you can have a VERY pleasant and frugal group buying experience.

Finally, have you considered/priced you local dental schools? These teaching schools, often associated with major universities, offer large discounts and provide great, professionally supervised, care. HTH.

This seems too cheap to me. In a situation like the Groupon would get half the money. The dental office will only end up getting 475 dollars from each sale. It seems like they would have to upcharge on additional services to make any kind of money. Upcharge sort of like a HMO/DMO office. ie. that high noble crown is not included and is going to cost $500 extra. I am a dentist and I can tell you my cost on materials/lab fees on an implant/custom abutment/crown from start to finish is a bit above $1000 per tooth. The cost can go down considerably using a less expensive implant system w/ stock abutment, but my cost would still be at least $500. I don't see how anyone can offer an implant/abutment/crown at this price and expect to even break even.

kine said:   This seems too cheap to me. In a situation like the Groupon would get half the money. The dental office will only end up getting 475 dollars from each sale. It seems like they would have to upcharge on additional services to make any kind of money. Upcharge sort of like a HMO/DMO office. ie. that high noble crown is not included and is going to cost $500 extra. I am a dentist and I can tell you my cost on materials/lab fees on an implant/custom abutment/crown from start to finish is a bit above $1000 per tooth. The cost can go down considerably using a less expensive implant system w/ stock abutment, but my cost would still be at least $500. I don't see how anyone can offer an implant/abutment/crown at this price and expect to even break even.

I agree, but I don't think that they do it expecting to break even at all and instead are trying to advertize/pull in new business. In my case, I was new to the area and did not have a permanent dentist. I was so pleased with the Groupon-discovered  practice's professionalism, friendliness, cleanliness, and service, that I gladly gave them my business for other treatments that I needed/planned to have done anyway (e.g., twice yearly cleaning, x-rays, fillings, bonding repair, re-seating a crown, etc). I think they make up the loss over time if they can retain you as an ongoing client, so they'd be wise to give you excellent treatment the first time around.

If you read the Groupon's faq, there is a response of exactly what's included. They even break down the usual cost. The "$4,285 Value" is really only $2,435. So it's still a deal. I think I heard somewhere that the cost they bill to insurance is not what they get, so at $949, I bet they are not losing that much profit. (Google search something like: cash discount for doctors).

This probably didn't help you on if it's a good experience, but it does say you might be able to find a similar price by just calling and asking for a cash discount.

If the all in price is really $949.00 this is an excellent deal. I had an implant placed two weeks ago. No bone grafting or extraction needed. My total price $2600.00. This was out of pocket since our dental plan does not cover implants. If you are comfortable with the dental practice I would jump on it.

impossible

should have added in the US

Going cheap on DW's teeth is a very very bad idea. Of course, "expensive" dentists probably source items from the same place that the cheapo places do...
the "$750" dental abutment can be purchased for around $20 by the chain dentistry. http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/dental-abutment.html
cheap dental crowns may contain dangerous levels of lead http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-528615/Cheap-dental-crowns-China-contain-dangerous-levels-LEAD.html

So, the chain dental is making some (quite a bit actually) money off lots of 'cheap' orders and getting paid in advance. Didn't your mom tell you to be careful what you put in your mouth?

ohmic314 said:   This probably didn't help you on if it's a good experience, but it does say you might be able to find a similar price by just calling and asking for a cash discount.
  well given g-pon's payment structure (50/50 split), OP if wanting to use such services could contact the dentistry and offer 75% of the g-pon price (losing CashBack). Offering to pay with cash as opposed to a CC likely could enable OP to offer 70% of g-pon price. (30% of $949 is about what? $285)

Do u need a root canal and periodontist? Check if everything is included.

Dental insurances do cover implants based on your plans. Its what you and/or your employer choose to pay depends upon coverage. People usually go for the cheaper insurance option and thats why it does not cover. Its like buying auto collision insurance and then asking for comprehensive auto reimbursements.

Check if any dental  schools near you offer dental implants, the usually charge 50% of the standard rates. Or go to mexico to get them.

Thanks all for your input! Dental schools we tried earlier in Boston area and too hard to get appointments, will take months even to get appointments
I can try it in DC area.

Also wondering how do we ensure , material used is of good quality and free of lead even with expensive treatment?

Look into Careington saving plan http://www.careingtoncare500.com/ or similar

We have insurance and my wife needed bridges, this plan saves as at least 50% of that price that we've got from clinic from insurance (about $3K of saving no more no less).

Hello all,
I bought a coupon from Groupon. Visited Dr. Fatemi's denatl office.
Mr. Fatemi is a nice guy. He likes to talk than listen.
Without much inspection, he said I need bone grafting (sales pitch).
When I said that the other dentist I visited (earlier) did not suggest bone grafting,
He is not even ready to listen and said I need bone grafting and it will cost $ 2800.
I guess this is where he is making money.
I searched on web and the bone grafting should usually costs around $ 1000, for one teeth.

So implant is $ 949 and Bone grafting $ 2800 and total is $ 3749.
I think this much more than the market price of implant with bone grafting.
This is a sales pitch and he is making lot more than the market. Watch out.
Please post your thoughts.
THank you.

My husband and I have been to Dental Schools in NY and their work sucks. I'm keeping the story short. Except for a clinical, and maybe a filling on a molar, I wouldn't have anything else done. Between the 2 of us we've had crowns, perio/reg cleaning, and bonding on anterior teeth. Except for the cleanings, the crowns and the anterior bondings look like tree stumps and marshmallows. They elongated one tooth disproportionately and the bonding keep cracking off. Never going back again.  I worked as a dental assistant, say the work is crap. Mom is a dental assistant and couldn't believe the awful work and had me see her dr/my previous boss. I needed corrective work and he said to never go back to a dental school again.

So true! He did same with us. $2800 estimate for bone drafting on the day of implant ...to our surprise my wife already had done bone drafting from Aspen Dental. But since we moved from city /state we had to find someone for rest procedure.
Guess what... Aspen dental which is a national chain charged about $1400 for 2 teeth extractions+ bone drafting+ 2 temporary teeth. How come cost of bone drafting fee for Dr. Fatemi is $2800(and that is just drafting)
We asked about it but they were not ready to listen

Since we were already cautious from day one , we refused to proceed further. My only hope was Groupon. Groupon contacted business and within one day they issued us full refund for 2 implants, even though business marked it "redeemed". Dr Fatemi still charged us $335 for the visit,x ray etc. But we are glad that we escaped as we don't know..what bills/estimates he comes up with in next visits
Also we heard same thing in office, asking other patients for $2800 for bone drafting

Lesson learned: if something sounds too good to be true, its NOT true. We expected this but we trusted Groupon which lived to it's expectations

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014