• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Basic talk
Disclaimer
WalMart's Basictalk, unit is $9.99 and includes 1 month of service..
Additional month $9.99 + taxes and fees, it seems to be month to month.
Anyone familiar with it?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Want to sell your Obi110 ?

Rustifer (Sep. 22, 2013 @ 11:53a) |

I will try this out today. Did you have success unlocking this and using with a different Voip provider? like GV?

codeaddict (Oct. 13, 2013 @ 12:50p) |

No, I will eventually use it, I surely will run into someone here locally who is familiar with google phone numbers and ... (more)

yesidonoitall (Oct. 13, 2013 @ 12:53p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A home phone service for $10 per month plus government taxes+fess is expensive.

Its just another of the many VOIP services out there. At 10$, better than some (Vonage) and worse than others (I use VOIP.ms.) As their listed "features" look pretty slim, it looks like you are getting less than you do with any of the VOIP services that I am familiar with.

BTW, a VOIP service requires a reasonably decent internet connection, so test your line before buying any of the VOIP services.

Don't know the item but why do we spend $10 month for VOIP service?
Google Voice: Free
Magic Jack: $30 a year = $2.5 a month

nodochauninja said:   Don't know the item but why do we spend $10 month for VOIP service?

GV requires somewhere to forward your calls to, does not provide a DID (inbound line and number) of its own.  Same for outbound calls.

MJ requires your computer to be on when you want to make or get calls.  Last time I tried it, it insisted on installing a program on my computer and they provided no way to uninstall the program, even though that was referenced in the docs.  Also, call quality SUCKED, but if cheap is all you want, maybe you can live with it.

Mickie3 said:   
nodochauninja said:   Don't know the item but why do we spend $10 month for VOIP service?

GV requires somewhere to forward your calls to, does not provide a DID (inbound line and number) of its own.  Same for outbound calls.

MJ requires your computer to be on when you want to make or get calls.  Last time I tried it, it insisted on installing a program on my computer and they provided no way to uninstall the program, even though that was referenced in the docs.  Also, call quality SUCKED, but if cheap is all you want, maybe you can live with it.

You do not need to forward google voice calls anywhere, and I am unsure why you think it does not provide a phone number, it does
You can answer GV calls with a computer or with an OBI100 device (40$) 
http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone-Adapter-Service-Bridge/dp...
Magicjack also sells the magicjack + that does not requre a computer for about $50, including a year of service
http://www.amazon.com/Improved-MagicJack-Subscription-Magic-Serv...
The nettalk duo is also about the same price point and also does not require a computer, just ethernet
Also, here is how to uninstall magicjack:
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/uninstalling-magicjack-t10322...
I do have to agree that $120 a year is quite high for a VOIP service
You could even buy an ooma for that price
John

KayK said:   A home phone service for $10 per month plus government taxes+fess is expensive.
  The monthly price was not a question.
Only the service.

MJ, is not anodochauninja said:   Don't know the item but why do we spend $10 month for VOIP service?

MJ is not really in the picture....
I have phonepwer for 4 years now, 1 totaly no cost Ooma and a NetTalk
Duo, all are great

BTW, Basic talk is Vonage.
With less features..

whalebone33 said:   my brother has it,,,17 dollars and change after taxes , fees,,,so that's about a 70% tax rate...no thank you..
  That is not the way to look at it.....
What if it were free except for the taxes?.
If it were $100 a month the tax rate would be 7%
$1000 a month, ;less than 1 %, are those number acceptable?

I have an unused obii 110 still on the shelf, way to hard to figure out how to use it.

yesidonoitall said:   
whalebone33 said:   my brother has it,,,17 dollars and change after taxes , fees,,,so that's about a 70% tax rate...no thank you..

Umm.. that is the way to look at it. This is fatwallet.
It is a $17 per month service. End of story.
yesidonoitall said:   I have an unused obii 110 still on the shelf, way to hard to figure out how to use it.
  I guess you cant read then.
It's a 5 minute process.

yesidonoitall said:   I have an unused obii 110 still on the shelf, way to hard to figure out how to use it.
Setting up many of the voip systems is too difficult for many people. This WalMart turnkey system is targeted towards them.

The hardware is a Grandstream GS-HT701.  http://www.amazon.com/Grandstream-GS-HT701-Handytone-Telephone-A...        A decent ATA.  You could start with WalMart's service; then if you so desire, unlock this device and switch to any other service provider.  The BasicTalk voip service provider is Vonage.

BTW, when they say "unlimited usage" that does not mean unlimited usage.

JonnyRock said:   
Mickie3 said:   

You do not need to forward google voice calls anywhere, and I am unsure why you think it does not provide a phone number, it does
Magicjack also sells the magicjack + that does not requre a computer for about $50, including a year of service
The nettalk duo is also about the same price point and also does not require a computer, just ethernet
John

When using GV, an alternate (and more natural) solution to using a PC is to instead use a cellular phone with Talkatone.  I use one of the discounted Android smartphones intended for VM which I never bothered activating.  Just turn off the Data/Voice modem and turn on WiFi, let Talkatone integrate itself as the default dialer.  If you have a landline type set of handsets you want to continue using, there are the bluetooth adapters that allow you to connect your wired landline sets to your cell phone.

But yes, lots of options instead of spending $120/year + taxes.

My concern was on one forum it was said it is not just month to month, you must agree to a 1 year contract to activate with fees if you cancel.
I thought someone here may have used basic talk.\ and could advise.

KayK said:   
yesidonoitall said:   

Umm.. that is the way to look at it. This is fatwallet.
It is a $17 per month service. End of story.
It's a 5 minute process.

RE:
It's a 5 minute process.

I doubt it  by the time you do the googlv v number it is far from plug and play.

Some people would be willing to remote into your computer and fix it for quite a bit less than a year of this service.

JonnyRock said:   
Mickie3 said:   

John

Using GV with a computer requires you leave your computer on when you want to use it,  wow, just as inconvenient as MJ. 

There are plenty of really cheap alternatives if you don't care about echoing, quality of sound, etc., MJ being the most advertised, but not necessarily being the best.

The obii toy was not asked ab out, to compare it to this is
apples to oranges...

yesidonoitall said:   The obii toy was not asked ab out, to compare it to this is
apples to oranges...

The WalMart BasicTalk is a Grandstream GS-HT701 combined with Vonage voip service.

A Grandstream GS-HT701 is approximately the same as an Obi110.  If you buy an Obi110 you have to combine it with a voip service provider by yourself.

BradMajors said:   
yesidonoitall said:   The obii toy was not asked ab out, to compare it to this is
apples to oranges...

The WalMart BasicTalk is a Grandstream GS-HT701 combined with WalMart voip service.

A Grandstream GS-HT701 is approximately the same as an Obi110.  If you buy an Obi110 you have to combine it with a voip service provider by yourself.

I am not sure what you are alluding to, the basic talk is plug and play, the obi is not.

BradMajors said:   
apples to oranges...

The WalMart BasicTalk is a Grandstream GS-HT701 combined with WalMart voip service.

The WM basic talk is actually a Vonage service.

Mickie3 said:   
JonnyRock said:   
Mickie3 said:   

John

Using GV with a computer requires you leave your computer on when you want to use it,  wow, just as inconvenient as MJ. 

There are plenty of really cheap alternatives if you don't care about echoing, quality of sound, etc., MJ being the most advertised, but not necessarily being the best.

You can also use GV on any smartphone that has Wifi and access to a Wifi connection without the need for any computer or VOIP adapter. (Technically the smartphone does not even need to have an active cell service provider long as the WiFi connects.) If you want to use GV through your smartphone's Wifi at home with your existing phones and your smartphone is bluetooth capable then all you need is cheap Bluetooth to landline gateway (available on eBay for ~$10)  and pair it with your Bluetooth capable smartphone.

there is a cost break down tool  on the site It says my monthly cost will be $12.63
==================================
What you can expect topay for BasicTalk
Plan Setup
BasicTalk 9.99
BasicTalk Box 0.00
Activation Fee 0.00
Shipping & Handling 0.00*
*$29.95 For Alaska & Hawaii

Taxes & Fees
State/Local Taxes and Fees 1.66
FUSF (VoIP) 0.98

RE:
You can also use GV on any smartphone that has Wifi and access to a Wifi connection without the need for any computer or VOIP adapter. (Technically the smartphone does not even need to have an active cell service provider long as the WiFi connects.) If you want to use GV through your smartphone's Wifi at home with your existing phones and your smartphone is bluetooth capable then all you need is cheap Bluetooth to landline gateway (available on eBay for ~$10)  and pair it with your Bluetooth capable smartphone. 

Is that not comparing apples to oranges?

Or buy the Basictalk adapter from WalMart for $10 and unlock it to work with ANY VoIP service...  Apparently it's a Grandstream HT701.

Unlocking the Basic Talk ATA  

That's the FW way to save.

BasciTalks Grandstream HT701
Disclaimer
themew said:   Or buy the Basictalk adapter from WalMart for $10 and unlock it to work with ANY VoIP service...  Apparently it's a Grandstream HT701.

Unlocking the Basic Talk ATA   

That's the FW way to save.

RE:
 Apparently it's a Grandstream HT701.

It is

$12.63 a month for Basictalk
$151.56 for a year.

Obihai: $37. Google voice: Free
$37 for a year.

With google voice, you save over $114 a year the first year.
Each additional year you save over $150

ETA: Even if you port your phone number into Google Voice, you still end up saving over $94 the first year, $154 each additional year.

KayK said:   $12.63 a month for Basictalk
$151.56 for a year.

$37 for a year.

ETA: Even if you port your phone number into Google Voice, you still end up saving over $94 the first year, $154 each additional year.

One is plug and play and it works, the others are plug and play and make  to make it work.
Big difference....

yesidonoitall said:   KayK said:   $12.63 a month for Basictalk
$151.56 for a year.

$37 for a year.

One is plug and play and it works, the others are plug and play and make  to make it work.
Big difference....
Get real.. this is fatwallet.
$100 savings the first year and $150 savings each additional year are worth the 5 minute (hell.. or even max 15 minute) effort.

RE:
Get real

Some are a pigment is their own mind....
plug and play v plug and prey.....

RE:
Get real.. this is fatwallet.

Side note:
Yes it is, and many do not see a money maker when they see it....least of all when it is handed to them....

yesidonoitall said:   

You should tweet that.

veckle said:   
yesidonoitall said:   

You should tweet that.

I am not a twitter....   I never checked it out or learned it.....

Want to sell your Obi110 ?

BradMajors said:   
apples to oranges...

The WalMart BasicTalk is a Grandstream GS-HT701 combined with Vonage voip service.

I will try this out today. Did you have success unlocking this and using with a different Voip provider? like GV?

Rustifer said:   Want to sell your Obi110 ?
  No, I will eventually use it, I surely will run into someone here locally who is familiar with google phone numbers and the use of them on these units.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014