rated:
Update!

Try this link and code (thanks Arris1) for *Possible* free "Platinum" status:

http://www.aa.com/platinumoffer

Promo Code: HVDPR
~~~~~~~~~

Credit to TetterkeT over @ SD.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TetterkeT said: Got this in the mail today (promo code doesn't appear to be unique):

Simply enroll for this exclusive offer by September 27th, 2013 at www.aa.com/goldoffer using promotion code HVDGR. You'll be eligible for all the benefits our AAdvantage Gold members enjoy, including:

• 25% mileage bonuses on flights
  • Priority Access at check-in and boarding
  • Two free checked bags
  • Complimentary access to Preferred Seats
  • Special upgrade privileges

Don't forget, as an added bonus, we're giving you 10 500-mile upgrades just for registering!

How about extending your AAdvantage Gold status through February 28, 2015?
Start flying and earn 4,500 elite-qualifying miles or points on American and other select airlines between October 1, 2013, and December 31, 2013, to retain your elite benefits.

You only need to register once for your offer which includes: your upgrade to Gold status, 10 500-mile upgrades and the opportunity to keep your Gold status through February 2015.

Member Summary

gold
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I only went for the Gold.  I have had pretty good activity this year...enough to get me maybe 50%+ to gold... but nothin... (more)

BenH (Oct. 03, 2013 @ 8:46p) |

The promo registration started earlier, but I am pretty sure you need to fly the 4500 miles between 10/1 -> 12/31.  So..... (more)

FriendlyPeon (Oct. 03, 2013 @ 8:50p) |

The terms of the promo clearly state that you get the status with no additional criteria.  The need to fly x miles by 12... (more)

BenH (Oct. 03, 2013 @ 9:01p) |

Note: no one at any of the sites where this posted has actually seen their status change. It has been confirmed that this is an exclusive targeted offer only for members who received a letter or email directly from American Airlines...
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Registered and then the thank you page says this:

"You are now registered for the HVDGR promotion. To earn the bonus or the incentive offered, you must meet all of the requirements associated with this promotion.

Some of the requirements may include, but are not limited to:
• Traveling on a specific flight, route or airline
• Type of fare purchased
• Residency requirements - residency is based on the primary address listed on your AAdvantage account

Activity that occurred prior to registering for the promotion will not be included in qualifying for the bonus or incentive. For more details regarding this promotion, visit www.aa.com/offers.

To obtain additional information, contact your local reservations office or call AAdvantage Reservations/Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880 in the U.S. and Canada."

Extremely limited, to those actually receiving postcard, then further. Almost as if targeting only a few by demographics or name. Fuhgettaboutit.

perfect timing, thank you. closed a citi advantage card to avoid the annual fee but needed a way to get priority boarding to Europe next spring. hope this works!

snork615 said:   Extremely limited, to those actually receiving postcard, then further. Almost as if targeting only a few by demographics or name. Fuhgettaboutit.

thank you so much!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!

mmconhea said:   Registered and then the thank you page says this:

"You are now registered for the HVDGR promotion. To earn the bonus or the incentive offered, you must meet all of the requirements associated with this promotion.

Some of the requirements may include, but are not limited to:
• Traveling on a specific flight, route or airline
• Type of fare purchased
• Residency requirements - residency is based on the primary address listed on your AAdvantage account

Activity that occurred prior to registering for the promotion will not be included in qualifying for the bonus or incentive. For more details regarding this promotion, visit www.aa.com/offers. 

To obtain additional information, contact your local reservations office or call AAdvantage Reservations/Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880 in the U.S. and Canada."

I signed up and got the same, does that mean I got it?

Painless

The way I read it, only works thru Dec 31st unless you acquire 4,500 actual earning miles during that time frame, if so, good until Feb 28, 2015. 

Even so, with the confirmation, if it truly was targeted, they could take it away.

Does anyone know if you still get the benefits after Dec 31 2013 for tickets you booked prior to that date?

Is it possible, if you booked a flight using a British Airways FF number to have it moved to American Airlines? All the flights I booked are American flights just a couple are operated by British Airways.

Considering this has been posted on SD, FW, and FT; it's likely that AA will yank the offer for anyone who didn't receive the mailer. Sometimes you can sneak in on a mailer offer. But not with the crazy amount of people all this publicity will draw. They are fragile.

Still, thanks for posting. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky. Or AA will miraculously decide that the attention is worth the cost as a sort of guerrilla marketing campaign. Don't get your hopes up though.

enc0re said:   Considering this has been posted on SD, FW, and FT; it's likely that AA will yank the offer for anyone who didn't receive the mailer. Sometimes you can sneak in on a mailer offer. But not with the crazy amount of people all this publicity will draw. They are fragile.

Still, thanks for posting. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky. Or AA will miraculously decide that the attention is worth the cost as a sort of guerrilla marketing campaign. Don't get your hopes up though.

Nor is it worth to fight with them if it doesn't work out in the end.  

It looks like they have been making this offer for some time, and that it is targeted:
FlyerTalk  

As a lifetime AA Platinum who earned it the hard way (2,000,000 miles) I can't tell you how pleased I am when I see them water down the elite programs like this. I love competing for the upgrades with people who merely typed in a promo code. Makes my heart all-a-flutter.

That said, I'm signing up my daughters.

pushback said:   As a lifetime AA Platinum who earned it the hard way (2,000,000 miles) I can't tell you how pleased I am when I see them water down the elite programs like this. I love competing for the upgrades with people who merely typed in a promo code. Makes my heart all-a-flutter.

flying 2M miles on AA is just cruel and unusual punishment

Hornrw said:   Does anyone know if you still get the benefits after Dec 31 2013 for tickets you booked prior to that date?
No, the benefits of status are not tied to a specific ticket; you must have the status when you travel, not when you book your flight.

bpd67 said:   Is it possible, if you booked a flight using a British Airways FF number to have it moved to American Airlines? All the flights I booked are American flights just a couple are operated by British Airways.
If you booked with AA, you should be able to change your FF number on your reservation.  I think you can do it online, but, worst case, you'll have to call.

Thank you for registering for the HVDGR promotion on AA.com.

For your reference, details of this offer can be found on AA.com under view all offers, or in the communication where you learned of this promotion.

To earn the bonus miles or other incentives offered, be sure to meet all of the promotional requirements. For most promotions, activity that occurred prior to registration will not count toward qualification. In addition, please note the timeframe in which bonus miles or incentives will be awarded. These and other specific requirements are always included in the Terms and Conditions listed with the offer. Thank you for your participation.

AA.com
American Airlines

There seems to be a better offer than gold, platinum offer info below. Enjoy!

so how do you know if you're upgraded to gold or plat after registration?

just until Dec 31, 2013. abt 3 mths left.

linrick said:   so how do you know if you're upgraded to gold or plat after registration?
  duh

duhmel said:   
linrick said:   so how do you know if you're upgraded to gold or plat after registration?
  duh

well did you get anything from AA say that you're gold or plat after registration other than "you are now registered" response?

linrick said:   
duhmel said:   
  duh

well did you get anything from AA say that you're gold or plat after registration other than "you are now registered" response?

You have nothing now.  When and if you are upgraded the status of your account will change - not rocket science!!

To all the nay-sayers - I did get a mailer from AA about 2 months back that was awarding Platinum status for 3 months (similar offer to this one) + 20 500-mile upgrades. The process on the website dint look too promising and I had doubts if this was spam. But lo and behold, about a week later, there it was, my AA plat card and welcome kit in the snail-mail. My online account was credited w/ the 20 500-mile upgrades. So it is legit. The online account also takes some time (i guess it was 5 working days in my case) to reflect the changed status.

duhmel said:   
linrick said:   
duhmel said:   
  duh

You have nothing now.  When and if you are upgraded the status of your account will change - not rocket science!!

i guess i'm really dumb because i was assuming after registration, they will send you something saying congrats you are now gold/plat.  it's registered then wait and see right? 

Thanks OP, this rocks.

GreatDealsAllAround said:   To all the nay-sayers - I did get a mailer from AA about 2 months back that was awarding Platinum status for 3 months (similar offer to this one) + 20 500-mile upgrades. The process on the website dint look too promising and I had doubts if this was spam. But lo and behold, about a week later, there it was, my AA plat card and welcome kit in the snail-mail. My online account was credited w/ the 20 500-mile upgrades. So it is legit. The online account also takes some time (i guess it was 5 working days in my case) to reflect the changed status.
 thank you for a clear answer to my question.

webdoctors said:   
pushback said:   As a lifetime AA Platinum who earned it the hard way (2,000,000 miles) I can't tell you how pleased I am when I see them water down the elite programs like this. I love competing for the upgrades with people who merely typed in a promo code. Makes my heart all-a-flutter.

flying 2M miles on AA is just cruel and unusual punishment

AA has always treated me very well.  They've earned my loyalty for when I go left or right.  For up and down I use Alaska.

Arris1 said:   There seems to be a better offer than gold, platinum offer info below. Enjoy!

Thanks... I thought about it but opted to stick with the Gold offer since I have more likelihood of flying 4500 miles to maintain the Gold status than 9000 miles for the Platinum by the end of December.

This is quite similar to what used to be called the "gold challenge" (5000 miles in 3 months gets you to gold quicker) and "platinum challenge" (10000 miles in 3 months).

Yes, it is just the challenge which you were only supposed to take once (I challenged to Gold, then earned LifeTime Gold. If this works, I'll have Platinum and already earned the challenge for Platinum next year (I have 14k miles on AA in October) so this would be GREAT. However, I wasns't targeted. So if I get it, I will jump for joy. If I don't, I will not cry.

I can understand where you're coming from.  If I had to earn their platinum status the hard way and sat next to someone who got it so easily I'd question the integrity of the AA program.

That said, I'm signing up my entire family

Signed up for the gold offer yesterday and the platinum offer today, also got my flight switched from BA to AA. Perfect timing for a 26 hour trip to India in a few weeks.

Start flying and earn 9,000 elite-qualifying miles or points on American and other select airlines* between October 1, 2013, and December 31, 2013, to retain your elite benefits.

It looks like the offer now requires 9,000 miles, at least for me since I don't have status on AA. I registered, but there's no way I can fly that amount on AA before the end of the year.

Check below for errors :

• This feature is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try again later.

Dead???????????

Thank you! I'm registered.

No one at any of the sites where this posted has actually seen their status change. It has been confirmed that this is an exclusive targeted offer only for members who received a letter or email directly from American Airlines. They offer this a few times a year to their best customers...

I'm assuming that the 9,000 miles have to be flown and not just accumulated through credit cards/other means?

"Start flying and earn 9,000 elite-qualifying miles or points on American and other select airlines* between October 1, 2013, and December 31, 2013, to retain your elite benefits."

It doesn't appear to me that it is working. I registered and got the "registered" e-mail. Nothing to indicate an error.
However, it doesn't show that I am gold now, nor does it have the 10 500-mile upgrades posted (this is really the valuable part!).

I did this for both the wife and me - same thing.

So, although it looks like anyone can "register", I don't think they are actually enabling it on the account unless you were targeted.

Skipping 17 Messages...
FriendlyPeon said:   
BenH said:   
FriendlyPeon said:   No one will get the Platinum unless you actually received the promotional mail.  The gold on the other hand was open to most AA members with limited activity this year, so you could possibly get it IF you meet the minimum requirements outlined in the OP.

I only went for the Gold.  I have had pretty good activity this year...enough to get me maybe 50%+ to gold... but nothing in my account still from this promo.

The promo registration started earlier, but I am pretty sure you need to fly the 4500 miles between 10/1 -> 12/31.  So...you would have had to fly within the past couple days the 4500 miles to get it on your account already.

The terms of the promo clearly state that you get the status with no additional criteria.  The need to fly x miles by 12/31 is only to *keep* the status next year.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014