• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
While the commissary is closed Sam's Club is allowing all military members (active and retired) with an ID card to shop without a Sam's Club membership (PLEASE Call your local SAMS club to make sure they are participating) All you need to do is go to the customer service counter with their ID card, and they will be provided a number to use while shopping. Don't know if it's nationwide, but it's definitely going on here in El Paso, TX.

Some people are claiming they actually got a full membership, not only a one-day-shopping pass. YMMV.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/local/sams-club-waives-fee-military-during-shutdown/nbFTc/     

Sams Club
Need a Sams Club coupon that earns 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Sam's Club
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Way to go Sam's Club!!!!

ryansteele said:   Way to go Sam's Club!!!!
  Unfortunately, they are not doing it for the government employees who are not only out of a commissary, but out of work and without pay...  

giselmey said:   
ryansteele said:   Way to go Sam's Club!!!!
  Unfortunately, they are not doing it for the government employees who are not only out of a commissary, but out of work and without pay...  

  Boo hoo.  Over paid government hacks will get back pay once the issue is resolved.  The GIs give much more, make much less, and deserve every break.  Kudos to Sam's Club for doing this.

This has been confirmed in Bangor, both Carolina's and Va....I would suggest however waiting a day or two till they get it ironed out, some are still putting the 10% guest fee on. It should be without that fee when fully implemented.

good move wally.

all these non-essential federal government employees should stop feeling sorry for themselves and just enjoy their free vacation on us. they will all get back pay anyway. lucky them.

wizwor said:   
giselmey said:   
ryansteele said:   Way to go Sam's Club!!!!
  Unfortunately, they are not doing it for the government employees who are not only out of a commissary, but out of work and without pay...  

  Boo hoo.  Over paid government hacks will get back pay once the issue is resolved.  The GIs give much more, make much less, and deserve every break.  Kudos to Sam's Club for doing this.

  Not wanting to get into a huge discussion here, but the military big brass is being paid right now as well (and I am talking about the ones here in town, not deployed) while the GS05 park ranger or WG05 aircraft mechanic is not. And those are the same guys hit by unpaid sequestration furloughs and a (so far) three year pay freeze. BTW, the government pay tables are available online, and anything but the bottom right corner does not look overpaid to me. But enough of that.

If the furlough situation extends beyond the weekend (10/7) I see both Sam's and Costco rolling those temporary memberships to GI's and veterans systemwide.

If companies make an "honest buck" by pleasing its' potential customer while doing it, the better we are off...

the only people entitled to use the commissary are active duty and retired military and coast guard persons. all other govt employees are not allowed there. i know this because i am a retired service member.

Good for you Sam....I mean Wally!

When businesses do things like this, it catches public attention, as it's designed to do. And some folks, like myself, remember the goodwill gesture long after the temporary measure is past. Our military is under-appreciated, mostly underpaid, and tremendously disrespected. And very few are heard complaining.

It's a great way of showing appreciation when a company does something like this for the men and women serving and that have served in the branches of our military. My goal is to let as many military personnel know about this that I can. For once, maybe Facebook actually has a purpose.

WalMart is great. They step in when the government falls. Katrina hit and who was there first providing food, water and shelter? WalMart.

khakuda said:   WalMart is great. They step in when the government falls. Katrina hit and who was there first providing food, water and shelter? WalMart.
 .... and subsequently billing FEMA and ultimately US taxpayers to the tune of $4.7Billion for all that food, water and shelter!.... Yah way to go. Wal-Mart.

anyone have a printable link to show?

Wal-Mart didn't bill the government, just more FUD from an anti-WM union goon. 89 Wal-Mart stores were affected by the storm and floods. There were numerous incidents of looting which Wal-Mart allowed because it was the right thing to do. They could not call the police because they were looting also.

Here is the only link to the "$4.7B" that I found (which has expired): link

FEMA Wants $4.7M Katrina Benefits Repaid. More than 2,000 Mississippi residents were notified that they must repay millions of dollars in federal Hurricane Katrina benefits that were excessive or, in some cases, fraudulent. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is seeking a total of $4.7 million from 2,044 people, giving them 30 days to repay or set up a payment plan.

There's no military bases anywhere near here, so I doubt my local Sam's is participating in this.  Not sure why this is in DD rather than Hot Deals, if you can get a full year membership for free (YMMV, obviously like any other deal) it's a $45 value!
 

Checked Sam's in Elizabethtown, KY and they are also honoring active duty and retired military ID cards for temporary membership.

johnnylately said:   Wal-Mart didn't bill the government, just more FUD from an anti-WM union goon. 89 Wal-Mart stores were affected by the storm and floods. There were numerous incidents of looting which Wal-Mart allowed because it was the right thing to do. They could not call the police because they were looting also.

Here is the only link to the "$4.7B" that I found (which has expired): link 

FEMA Wants $4.7M Katrina Benefits Repaid. More than 2,000 Mississippi residents were notified that they must repay millions of dollars in federal Hurricane Katrina benefits that were excessive or, in some cases, fraudulent. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is seeking a total of $4.7 million from 2,044 people, giving them 30 days to repay or set up a payment plan.

Speaking of FUD,   I don't know if you are totally just delusional or just downright clueless but Wal-Mart DID bill FEMA $4.7 billion for Katrina related reimbursements. It on their 2Q 2006 SEC filing unless you think Wal-Mart execs just made it up to see if the SEC would catch it. LOL! The ONLY true donations Wal-Mart collected for Katrina was from Wal-Mart customers and their poorly paid employees NOT Wal-Mart corp. Even with those donations from customers and employees Wal-Mart was quick to step in even take credit as if they had actually paid those donations out of their own pockets . Bottom line Wal-Mart did not contribute a single penny to Katrina effort that they did not submit for reimbursement.

GlassVial said:   There's no military bases anywhere near here, so I doubt my local Sam's is participating in this.  Not sure why this is in DD rather than Hot Deals, if you can get a full year membership for free (YMMV, obviously like any other deal) it's a $45 value!
  I originally posted in in Hot Deals, it was moved by the mods. I agree that it should still be in Hot Deals. This would also prevent reposts which already occurred in HD.

giselmey said:   
wizwor said:   
giselmey said:   
ryansteele said:   Way to go Sam's Club!!!!
  Unfortunately, they are not doing it for the government employees who are not only out of a commissary, but out of work and without pay...  

  Boo hoo.  Over paid government hacks will get back pay once the issue is resolved.  The GIs give much more, make much less, and deserve every break.  Kudos to Sam's Club for doing this.

  Not wanting to get into a huge discussion here, but the military big brass is being paid right now as well (and I am talking about the ones here in town, not deployed) while the GS05 park ranger or WG05 aircraft mechanic is not. And those are the same guys hit by unpaid sequestration furloughs and a (so far) three year pay freeze. BTW, the government pay tables are available online, and anything but the bottom right corner does not look overpaid to me. But enough of that.

  Let's not compare a mechanic or a park ranger to a soldier.  Even the Brass started in the trenches.  It's easier to step out of the path of a falling tree than a flying bullet.

And many of those mechanics (especially in DoD) are veterans. So they too started in the trenches as you put it.

svenskfabrik said:   the only people entitled to use the commissary are active duty and retired military and coast guard persons. all other govt employees are not allowed there. i know this because i am a retired service member.
  Also 100% disabled service connected veteran....



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014