$10000 Fine for Texting While Driving in Alaska

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

It s A 10,000 Fine For Texting While Driving In Alaska
Disclaimer
Alaskans and those driving in Alaska, beware! One of the most hefty fines for texting while driving in the nation is in Alaska. Who votes for such draconian laws?
http://gizmodo.com/a-state-by-state-map-of-the-penalties-for-tex...††
http://dps.alaska.gov/AST/ABHP/hwysafety.aspx††

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Just like someone could drink some Scope in front of the cop so they dont get a dui?

handyguy (Oct. 27, 2013 @ 11:19a) |

Killing someone while texting is murder!

bopc1996 (Oct. 28, 2013 @ 12:14p) |

3092/365=8.5, which is a long way from a dozen, and that 3092 certainly isn't all teens. †It's a problem, but let's tone... (more)

cestmoi123 (Oct. 28, 2013 @ 12:55p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The fine for DUI is only $1,500

mikejensen said:   Who votes for such draconian laws?

People who don't like to get creamed by morons who refuse to put the phone down?

homersboy6 said:   

People who don't like to get creamed by morons who refuse to put the phone down?

† I totally understand the dangers implicated in TWD, but $10K is just extreme, especially in Alaska!

Of all places, Alaska? Really?

Must pull over a lot of ice road truckers for TWD!

mikejensen said:   
homersboy6 said:   

† I totally understand the dangers implicated in TWD, but $10K is just extreme, especially in Alaska!

† Texting while driving is extremely stupid, so how about just call this a wash then?
Don't do the crime yada yada yada.

So if you can't pay the fine, and are sent to do jail time.... is that time more than rape or murder...

What?? $10,000 for texting?!?!? I almost crashed the car when I read this!

Danfromfla said:   What?? $10,000 for texting?!?!? I almost crashed the car when I read this!
† Do not read while you are driving.......:-D

There is a lot of data that suggests distracted drivers are much more dangerous than inebriated drivers. Most drunk driver accidents are single car accidents at night. Texters tend to do more collateral damage. As a commuter who deals with these people daily, I support these draconian measures. A large fine and jail time may dissuade texters since they are not as judgement impaired as drunks.

http://www.distraction.gov/download/research-pdf/Comparison-of-C...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2012/09/18/it-is-time-for-a-pare...
Forbes said: Texting while driving causes 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY. That is 11 families, schools, and communities that are forever missing children, classmates, teammates, and that great kid next door because they took that 5 seconds it takes to text that they were running late, or whatever not-so-important message they sent. Additionally texting . . .

. . . Causes 25% of all accidents, totally 1.6M per year (Natíl Safety Council)
. . . Causes 330,000 injuries per year (Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study)
. . . Is 6x more dangerous than driving while intoxicated (NHTSB)
. . . Is still legal in 11 states to text while driving; only 10 fully prohibit cell phones while driving
. . . Is not a teen-only problem with 47% of adults admitting to texting while driving (Washington Post, May 2012)

I commute 74 miles a day -- most on one of two interstates, and some near a school (drop my kid each morning) -- and can attest to the fact that virtually 100% of erratic drivers have a phone in their hand. †A lot of them are doing something else with the other hand and steering with a knee.

The idea of the huge fine is that it raises the risk associated with a 'crime' which is unlikely to be detected or prosecuted. †My preference would be that phones use their GPS function to alert police to the location of devices being used at high speeds. †The police could respond to the alert and observe the vehicle for indications of impaired operation.

Who votes for such draconian laws?

I'd vote for it.† Until we can ensure the morons who text while driving can only harm themselves, we have to do something to try to stop them harming the non-morons.

I'd make holding a phone when you're supposed to be driving a $10,000 fine, but as a society we largely think that's OK.† Somehow.

It will take a while to raise awareness of the dangers of texting while driving (as MADD had to do for drunk driving a generation ago), until it settles into the national consciousness that it is wrong, and very dangerous, and just simply not worth it.

So if it takes some people being fined $10K to get that to sink in, I'm all for it. The penalties for texting while driving should be at least as harsh as those for driving drunk.

Agreed that $10,000 is excessive, but the fine SHOULD be hefty - perhaps $1000 nationwide. Mandatory jail time would go a long way to discourage the practice, also. I'm for anything that would help make the roads safer for our families.

Also agreed that you can count on the fact that practically all erratic drivers are using a phone (and in the passing lane!) - as confirmed if/when I actually get to pass them.

msrazzle said:   Agreed that $10,000 is excessive, but the fine SHOULD be hefty - perhaps $1000 nationwide. Mandatory jail time would go a long way to discourage the practice, also.

††
No jail time.† My taxes have to pay for that.† Punitive fines for the morons please.† No cost to the non-morons that way.

$10k is cheap. †I vote to hit it where it really hurts ... †suspend the license for 1 to x years (sliding scale based on collateral damage).

And this should apply to ANY occurrence of "playing" with the phone while driving. †No texting, no email, no browsing the web, no looking up contacts, etc. †

That fact's especially disconcerting when you realize that nearly a dozen teens die every single day from the act.

So considering that 3,092 people died in a cell phone-related crash in 2011 (with an additional 20,000 being injured), we all might do well to follow Alaska's lead.

Sarah Palin must of signed this to law.

fongo61 said:   Sarah Palin must of signed this to law.
† I'm sure you are trying to denigrate Sarah Palin. †It's have not of. †And it's into law not to law...

Sarah Palin must have signed this into law.†

FWIW,†Governor Sean Parnell signed the law.

delson said:   
Danfromfla said:   What?? $10,000 for texting?!?!? I almost crashed the car when I read this!
† Do not read while you are driving.......:-D

† No reading while driving? †Hold on, let me put my newspaper down.

While we're at it, why don't all fines $1 million dollars for breaking any law; especially jaywalking, because in 2003, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that approximately 4,700 pedestrians were killed and another 70,000 injured due to pedestrian-vehicle crashes.

Because living in a police-state makes sure that EVERYONE is safe - always! Who needs personal freedom from ridiculous and excessive fines/taxes when you have SAFETY!

/sarcasm

Mr. Martin, your right to swing your fist stops at another man's nose. Inattentively hurling thousands of pounds in the direction of others is not a victim-less crime.

I dropped my kid off to school Thursday. The line was stopped because some jerk stopped close to the door and blocked the way for the rest of us. The person who was being paid to prevent this from happening was chatting with a young girl who was walking backwards into the road -- not in the cross walk. When the girl finished her chat, she turned towards the road just in time to walk in to a parked car. Do you really want these people texting while driving?

What are the chances that police officer in Alaska would accept $5000 bribe? Youy would still get a deal.

Practically speaking, this is a secondary offense. I do not think anyone will be seen texting. The fine will be applied after an investigation shows that the phone that was in the car with you was texting at the time of some other offense. Just as practically, a passenger could claim to be the texter.

How about just lose your license? Can't drive responsibility don't drive at all.
Oh wait, they don't care about safety, just money.

† She did it as she was looking over Russia from her house.

homerj31 said:   How about just lose your license? Can't drive responsibility don't drive at all.

† Yes, because no one drives without a license.

the land of the free and the brave

Barabas said:   the land of the free and the brave
††
the land of the texting morons and their innocent victims

I have a relative who is currently hovering over jail, hanging by a thread because he is a habitual drunk driver.† Thankfully he hasn't hurt anyone but himself yet.† The drunk driving punishments thrown at him so far have had no effect, he's still a selfish ignorant arsehole.† Some time getting raped in prison may fix this.† IMO garnishing his wages for the next 20 years to pay a punitive fine may also have worked (he has no money).

Let's say he kills a child while drunk driving today.† How do you explain to the parents of the dead child that he hadn't been severely punished for drunk driving because "this is the land of the free and the brave" so he was free to be an arsehole?

Everyone, EVERYONE, knows you shouldn't text and drive.† The arseholes will continue to do it, killing others, unless we stop them. † ††

Well....in Illinois, we are told not to text while driving but we still have 30 billboards within reading distance on the major roads at any given time. But those don't distract at ALL!!

wizwor said:   

FWIW,†Governor Sean Parnell signed the law.

† Is that a failed anagram?

This remind me Obaqmacare. People who vote for law exempt themselves , but forcing everybody else to subscribe. In this case, police and other law enforcement agents keep using phone for whatever reason they want, talking, sending SMS for personal needs, but if something, it was business. FISH spoil from head. No proof needed.

oripash1 said:   This remind me Obaqmacare. People who vote for law exempt themselves , but forcing everybody else to subscribe. In this case, police and other law enforcement agents keep using phone for whatever reason they want, talking, sending SMS for personal needs, but if something, it was business. FISH spoil from head. No proof needed.
††http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2008930054_webblackberry2...

every exclusion just support the rules and as it said in article, officials exclude themselves.

wizwor said:   Just as practically, a passenger could claim to be the texter.

††
Just like someone could drink some Scope in front of the cop so they dont get a dui?

Killing someone while texting is murder!

handyguy said:   That fact's especially disconcerting when you realize that nearly a dozen teens die every single day from the act.

So considering that 3,092 people died in a cell phone-related crash in 2011 (with an additional 20,000 being injured), we all might do well to follow Alaska's lead.

† 3092/365=8.5, which is a long way from a dozen, and that 3092 certainly isn't all teens. †It's a problem, but let's tone down the hyperbole.†

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014