• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
The end is near    
"Recently Google announced the end of support for XMPP   based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014"

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If anyone has a simple way to preserve Talkatone functionality so I can keep using my GV #, I'm all ears. The URL above ... (more)

bytem3 (Jul. 04, 2014 @ 10:13a) |

Use it on SP-2. Leave SP-1 with GV.

ant17 (Jul. 04, 2014 @ 10:21a) |

I don't actually have an Obi device. I was just using my GV number with the Talkatone app on my phone.

bytem3 (Jul. 04, 2014 @ 10:30a) |

The Google Voice Service is Still Working on My OBi! How come?

At the end of last year, Google Inc. announced that the open and documented XMPP communication protocol would be abandoned in favor of a new, proprietary way to do real-time voice, video and instant messaging communications. The time-line for the migration to this new way was not stated.

At about the same time, but separately, Google stated third-party applications should stop supporting XMPP by May 15th 2014. Now that this date has passed, like you, we have observed Google services using XMPP are still connected and working, e.g. you can still place and receive calls using a Gmail account configured on your Obi device. It is important to note, this does not change the previous statements from Obihai that we no longer support direct connections to Google Voice on OBi devices. We strongly recommend all OBi owners using the Google Voice service obtain a new service to ensure continued, uninterrupted calling from the phone connected to the OBi.

rated:
Crap, you're kidding me. I use my Obi100 all the time. I have literally never heard of any of the other VOIP providers mentioned in their press release.

rated:
meribona said:   Crap, you're kidding me. I use my Obi100 all the time. I have literally never heard of any of the other VOIP providers mentioned in their press release.
 Consumers of Obi to be used to Free google voice with Obi for domestic, it is not going to be a pretty picture. All these folk that signed up relatives with GV and now have to take them back to per time billing. OUCH.

Obi sure seemed to pic some oddball selections. $19.95 a month REALLY?

rated:
Oh no, I will not directly sell my privacy to Google to record and transcript every conversation I have for future use just for free phone service which is very cheap using many other services???? What will I do to save money???? This sucks! I guess I will continue to log into gmail, chrome, etc so that they can have a nice record of my activity without the voice content while I use their browser. I trust them with everything do, seriously.

rated:
So what, there exists lots of cheap alternatives.  Google Voice has been rated as one of the worse quality voip providers.

rated:
BradMajors said:   So what, there exists lots of cheap alternatives.  Google Voice has been rated as one of the worse quality voip providers.

So what are some of these alternatives? I've been on Google Voice so long I've never paid attention to what other cheap and decent alternatives there are.

rated:
I don't mind paying a little for phone service.

Free incoming calls are no problem as I forward from google voice to a callcentric number that rings my Obi. But I don't want to give up google voice or the use of it's number as my outgoing caller id. I know some of the cheap services allow designation of outbound caller id.

I suspect we will see something from Google in the form of phone service about the time all this happens.

rated:
BradMajors said:   So what, there exists lots of cheap alternatives.  Google Voice has been rated as one of the worse quality voip providers.
  I've been with them for years from before they even bought gizmo, never had any issues.

rated:
Don't be so ignorant, everyone knew that that free obi thing is going to end sooner or later. It was either google start charging for google voice or this.

Consider OOMA. Had one from April 2011. Cost me $99 + $40 to transfer number. It's been 30 months and I've paid taxes and 911 fees of $111 (average $3.7 per month). It adds up to $251 in 30 months. I used to pay $20 per month to my cable company for VoIP. even if my current ooma breaks I've already saved around $450.

rated:
jimates said:   I don't mind paying a little for phone service.

Free incoming calls are no problem as I forward from google voice to a callcentric number that rings my Obi. But I don't want to give up google voice or the use of it's number as my outgoing caller id. I know some of the cheap services allow designation of outbound caller id.

I suspect we will see something from Google in the form of phone service about the time all this happens.

Is there an easy to setup guide for any of that? awful lot of technobabble terms for people that just want cheap ingoing/outgoing phone calls. are there any services that configure it all and you pay $20 a year or less BESIDES magicjack? I dread going back to that train wreck.

rated:
hmm,,i wonder if it is time to switch to OOMA?

Can I just have google voice forward calls to a cell or another number?

rated:
At least now there won't be that nervous feeling in December to see if GV disappears at beginning of year. And like someone else said, there is a good chance Google will offer some product of their own. Or course, they could also send it the way of Reader.

rated:
FrugalFreak said:   

Is there an easy to setup guide for any of that? awful lot of technobabble terms for people that just want cheap ingoing/outgoing phone calls. are there any services that configure it all and you pay $20 a year or less BESIDES magicjack? I dread going back to that train wreck.

setup is easy, many guides specific to the listed companies, at Obihai.com
My google voice forwards to a Callcentric number (free incoming calls) which rings my Obi. At current my outgoing calls go direct through google voice via the Obi. That part will have to change. I did check Anveo and they allow specific outgoing caller id. They even have a new feature that allows different outgoing caller id based on specific numbers you call.

I guess google voice based wifi calling like GrooveIP will change.
link

This is further indication that google is going to continue some type of calling service, and not drop it cold.
Singhal also confirmed that Google will now be more heavily enforcing its Terms of Service and cracking down on third-party apps that offer unauthorized calling and SMS services through Google Voice. Those app makers will apparently have until May 15, 2014 to transition their users to another service. As for the new Hangouts app itself, while it's available on the new Nexus 5, other Android users will still have to wait a bit longer for the update to show up in the Play Store. 

rated:
FrugalFreak said:   

Basically that's OOMA. Basically I'm not a technophobe, but Obi to me seemed like it was a lot of work for not too much in savings compared to ooma, basically plug it in and it works without too much hassle. It's just a phone... I should really just go with the cell phone 100% but I prefer holding a handset. 

rated:
henry33 said:   
FrugalFreak said:   

Basically that's OOMA. Basically I'm not a technophobe, but Obi to me seemed like it was a lot of work for not too much in savings compared to ooma, basically plug it in and it works without too much hassle. It's just a phone... I should really just go with the cell phone 100% but I prefer holding a handset. 

Yes they are all similar. OOMA provides the phone adapter and the service. Obihai just supplies the adapter and then you choose your own provider. because the Obi is more versatile there has to be some technical knowledge. It's all about choice, like having an unlocked cell phone. Pay $100 for a plug and play OOMA with no choice of service provider, or pay $40 for an Obi and choose between many providers. Actually they are quite different, aren't they.

rated:
Thanks TS, I was just going to buy 2 Obi220's today but will put it off now ... what timing!

Thanks again

rated:
Bummer. I figured Google was going to allow the use of the obi, but at some point just start charging a penny a minute or flat rate per year like magic jack or net talk.

rated:
Glad I bought a NetTalk to keep as a backup. Really a decent solution.. 50$ for the system, 20$ a year, "unlimited" calling, you get to keep your number. VoIP

rated:
Been a Google Voice + Obihai user for over 3 years now..
I guess I'll switch to voip.ms value routing.. mostly because my wife calls Canada a lot.. and value route is half cent per minute for calls to Canada.

USA Rates
Value Route US/48: $0.0105 (1.05˘) per minute
Toll-Free Numbers Value Route: Free
Optional Premium Route: $0.0125 (1.25˘) per minute
Toll-Free Numbers Premium Route: $0.0106 (1.06˘) per minute
Canada Rates
Value Route: Most Canada at $0.0052 (1/2˘) per minute
Premium route: $0.0125 (1.25˘) per minute

Billing Increments
USA and Canada: 6 seconds increment
International: 6 seconds increment
Mexico: 60 seconds initial / 60 seconds increment

Incoming Calls
USA DID numbers availability
49 states of the USA
USA DID Per Minute Pricing
Monthly Fee: USA: $0.99 to $1.49
Per minute inbound: $0.01 to $0.0149
One time setup fee: $0.50 (50˘)
Billing Increment: 6 seconds

Extras Features
E911/911 $1.50 per month
CNAM Caller ID name Lookup - 0.8 cent per query
Unlimited Voicemail accounts

One cool thing about voip.ms is that you can setup a Digital Receptionist (IVR) for free. Think "Press (1) to leave a voicemail. Press (2) to call cellphone. Press (3) to call workphone", etc

rated:
Crap..this stinks...more work for me to fix this for the parents once a suitable solution has been found. Come on Fatwalleters...Im waiting for someone to post a workaround that is either free or VERY VERY cheap! We've got 6 months, lets get cracking

rated:

Thanks for that. Incoming calls is enough for me.

rated:
jimates said:   ... Free incoming calls are no problem as I forward from google voice to a callcentric number that rings my Obi. But I don't want to give up google voice or the use of it's number as my outgoing caller id. I know some of the cheap services allow designation of outbound caller id.

I do this too.  $1.50 a month give me caller-ID and 911.

The way Obi phrases it, "End of support" sounds to me like it might still work, it might not depending on what google does. 

Reading Google, it sounds like they will start disallowing "unauthorized" 3rd party apps.  Other Google articles (https://plus.google.com/106636280351174936240/posts/MjyncJEbzxK) sounds like the app devs must "stop making unauthorized use"  ... Which means what exactly? 

Are both things happening?
Is Obi going to (again) force a firmware updates to their devices (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3229.msg21497#msg21... to remove the feature?

Obi should clarify.  Are they working on becoming an "authorized" 3rd party?  Or what?

rated:
Anveo user here.

I pay $2/mo for the DID, and 80 cents for e911.

Incoming calls up to 400 minutes a day are free, outgoing calls are billed @ 1 cent a minute on 30/6 billing.
There's a lot of nice features in the call flow setup once you start playing with it.
You can sign up for an account for free through them and check it out, they have a Softphone that you can use
to make calls before you do the paid thing.

I also have 2 other DID's with them I pay 50 cents a month for, but they are sitting idle till I figure out what I want
to do with them. (DID for those that are unaware is your phone #)

rated:
Other impacted players will be GrooveIP and Talkatone users.

rated:
I love my Google Number. Hope they a reasonable pricing for their Google Voice Service.
If Skype offers a promo for Google Voice Subscribers, I might jump ship.

rated:
Obi + GV have been good to me. I'm looking to move to Nettalk for their reliable fax over VOIP capability as some had mentioned on FW.

rated:
stiltner said:   Anveo user here.

I pay $2/mo for the DID, and 80 cents for e911.

Incoming calls up to 400 minutes a day are free, outgoing calls are billed @ 1 cent a minute on 30/6 billing.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but where does it have the 400 incoming minutes as free? One problem I've noticed, like with Callcentric, is you need to buy an outgoing and incoming call plan, if you are looking to basically replace a traditional landline. Combine those and suddenly the Ooma looks pretty good at just $3-$4 a month in taxes. And, if taxes aren't charged, netTalk would be an even better deal at $29.95 a year. Which brings me to another question, do most of these other VOIPs charge a monthly tax on their plans? I like how Ooma actaually has a calculator on their site (it's $3.72 monthly for Reno).

rated:
meribona said:   

So what are some of these alternatives? I've been on Google Voice so long I've never paid attention to what other cheap and decent alternatives there are.

MagicJack for starters.

rated:
johnnybs said:   
meribona said:   

MagicJack for starters.

I'm looking there too at the magicjack plus that doesn't require PC, but UGHH I dread dealing with their moronic customer service and repeatly having to be redirected to that freaking video  on the main page. After the hundreth time, it starts to sound like death drone.

rated:
alamo11 said:   Glad I bought a NetTalk to keep as a backup. Really a decent solution.. 50$ for the system, 20$ a year, "unlimited" calling, you get to keep your number. VoIP
  Paying per year NetTalk is more than $20. I had one that service expired on, it was cheaper to buy a new one than pay the reactivation fee and the yearly fee. The yearly is $29.95; even paying for 4 years at one time it is $98.95.
with a reactivation of $9.99 if service lapses. I can reactivate my Obi anytime with many service providers without a fee.

But my main thing is I use google voice for everything, the NetTalk Duo does not work well with GV because it does just like google. It answers every call, thereby taking all the google voice features away.

rated:
Thanks FrugalFreak for the heads up.  This sucks because I just ported my cell phone number to Google Voice so that I could get simultaneous ring to my Obi (to answer when at home on soft phone)  or on my mobile phone (when on the road.)  I was planning on porting a couple of other family members next week because the Obi + Google was working so well for me.  Now I'll have to investigate other alternatives.  Bummer. 

rated:
bighitter said:   Thanks FrugalFreak for the heads up.  This sucks because I just ported my cell phone number to Google Voice so that I could get simultaneous ring to my Obi (to answer when at home on soft phone)  or on my mobile phone (when on the road.)  I was planning on porting a couple of other family members next week because the Obi + Google was working so well for me.  Now I'll have to investigate other alternatives.  Bummer. 
  You can still use google voice, you will just have to get a different service provider set up on you Obi, and forward to that number instead of Google Chat.

rated:
jimates said:   
bighitter said:   Thanks FrugalFreak for the heads up.  This sucks because I just ported my cell phone number to Google Voice so that I could get simultaneous ring to my Obi (to answer when at home on soft phone)  or on my mobile phone (when on the road.)  I was planning on porting a couple of other family members next week because the Obi + Google was working so well for me.  Now I'll have to investigate other alternatives.  Bummer. 
  You can still use google voice, you will just have to get a different service provider set up on you Obi, and forward to that number instead of Google Chat.

As someone said earlier, you can use callcentric.  You get a NY number but who cares since people dial your GV number.  

rated:
I've been using axvoice for the past year...The free services tend to not support conference call numbers etc (aka google) that charge an incoming fee to the telco.

Anyway axvoice has worked well and my bill is $10 or less each month.

rated:
I think Google will add voice call to their Hangout, it's already in the apple Hangout app.

rated:
Right, but to use Hangouts you have to surrender your anonymity and be tracked via Google+. GrooveIP will work on an Android phone that is not registered on Google. Some people may not like to have Google recording every move, every friend, and every webpage you watch...
There is an interesting (angry) blog on this issue at:  https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/55b90ccc97be which seems to summarize the politics pretty well.

rated:
I have the Obi110 connected to my home land line and Google Talk. Can I connect Ooma to the Obi 110 to replace Google Talk?

rated:
I thought Obi was already handling my outgoing calls, and that GV was only for incoming. Is that not the case?

rated:
It depends how you have it set up. But Obi itself can not make an outgoing call. You need a service like GV.

Skipping 199 Messages...
rated:
ant17 said:   Use it on SP-2. Leave SP-1 with GV.
I don't actually have an Obi device. I was just using my GV number with the Talkatone app on my phone.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014