Ooma - upgrade from Hub to Telo emails

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Lately Ooma has been sending me quite a few emails about replacing my three year old Hub with Telo.  Is this the end of the Hub? 

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nope. Can keep going until it dies...

I don't think so. We're grandfathered in on the tax-free service.

I've got a Hub that I've been using trouble-free for 3.5 years. I haven't gotten any emails about upgrading recently, but I have in the past. I've also read anecdotal comments on various forums that Ooma has begun canceling the grandfathered plan for Hub users after the three-year mark, but I've yet to see any evidence. Anyway, if you're on the grandfathered plan, why mess with anything. Free is free. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I got an email on Jan 16, 2014 that stated they are ENDING the hub service February 2014 and offered Tele for $50, an Linx remote for $30 and free Premier service, in exchange for everyone going to new terms and conditions, which is the state and local taxes. It has been fantastic and completely free for 6 years for me, but I guess this is it. Last year they stopped supporting it, now it sound like they will terminate service next month. The final paragraph says "Please be aware that service will end on your Ooma Hub." So I don't think this is just a matter of no more support if something goes wrong.
I haven't called them yet but will since I still need the landline a little. I hate to give up the original terms.

DaveFarmington said:   I got an email on Jan 16, 2014 that stated they are ENDING the hub service February 2014...
  Hmm.... I haven't gotten any notification. I still wonder if this has to do with how long one has been a Hub user. This summer will be the four-year mark for me. I'll be on the lookout for an email like this. But for now, it's (free) service as usual for me. Googling the subject does not produce any definitive links suggesting a global discontinuation of Hub service.

Maybe I am not reading it correctly. I'll cut and paste it here:

Dear Customer,

We’d like to thank you for helping us test our first product and hope that you have enjoyed the free product and service that you have received for the last six years. Since October 2009, the Ooma Telo has been our flagship product. Recently we announced that no further updates will be made to the Hub and, consequently, we will be ending the “White Rabbit” VIP program on the Hub device starting February 2014.

To continue service, we’d like to offer you a great deal on upgrading to the Ooma Telo. The Telo is higher-performance and offers more advanced functionality. It normally retails for $149.99, but with this special offer, you can upgrade to the Telo for just $49.99. If you need to replace an Ooma Scout device in your home you can add our wireless Ooma Linx remote phone jack device for just $30 more.

When you upgrade to the Telo you will transition to our latest terms and conditions, which will require you to pay the applicable taxes and fees in your area. In return, you will receive our lowest price ever on an Ooma Telo. And as a special benefit to you, our most long-standing customers, we will continue to provide you Premier service for free on your new Telo (a $9.99 a month value). Here are just some of the other benefits that come from upgrading:
•Improved call reliability with Ooma PureVoice™ technology
•Hear the difference of HD Voice when you talk to other Ooma Telo and Ooma Mobile users
•Take advantage of Telo-only features like personal caller-ID with Contact Lists

In addition, the Ooma Telo supports a wide-range of accessories to further extend its capabilities:
•Place your Telo anywhere in your home with the Wireless Adapter
•Pair your cell phone to your home phone with the Bluetooth Adapter
•Enjoy smartphone features on your home phone with the optional HD2 Handset
•Connect additional phones and fax machines quickly and easily with the wireless Linx device

Please be aware that service will end on your Ooma Hub. Take advantage of this limited time offer now to upgrade and enjoy the newest technology by calling us at 1-866-452-6662 with the offer code VIP-UPGRADE. This offer expires on January 31, 2014.

Until next time,
Team Ooma

Anybody else keeps getting these emails. Now they extended the offer till March 31, 2014.

Here is the original email:

Dear Customer,

We’d like to thank you for helping us test our first product and hope that you have enjoyed the free product and service that you have received for the last six years. Since October 2009, the Ooma Telo has been our flagship product. Recently we announced that no further updates will be made to the Hub and, consequently, we will be ending the “White Rabbit” VIP program on the Hub device starting February 2014.

To continue service, we’d like to offer you a great deal on upgrading to the Ooma Telo. The Telo is higher-performance and offers more advanced functionality. It normally retails for $149.99, but with this special offer, you can upgrade to the Telo for just $49.99. If you need to replace an Ooma Scout device in your home you can add our wireless Ooma Linx remote phone jack device for just $30 more.

When you upgrade to the Telo you will transition to our latest terms and conditions, which will require you to pay the applicable taxes and fees in your area. In return, you will receive our lowest price ever on an Ooma Telo. And as a special benefit to you, our most long-standing customers, we will continue to provide you Premier service for free on your new Telo (a $9.99 a month value). Here are just some of the other benefits that come from upgrading:

Improved call reliability with Ooma PureVoice™ technology
Hear the difference of HD Voice when you talk to other Ooma Telo and Ooma Mobile users
Take advantage of Telo-only features like personal caller-ID with Contact Lists
In addition, the Ooma Telo supports a wide-range of accessories to further extend its capabilities:

Place your Telo anywhere in your home with the Wireless Adapter
Pair your cell phone to your home phone with the Bluetooth Adapter
Enjoy smartphone features on your home phone with the optional HD2 Handset
Connect additional phones and fax machines quickly and easily with the wireless Linx device
Please be aware that service will end on your Ooma Hub. Take advantage of this limited time offer now to upgrade and enjoy the newest technology by calling us at 1-866-452-6662 with the offer code VIP-UPGRADE. This offer has been extended and expires on March 31, 2014.

Our records indicate that you were given this device free of charge. If for any reason this is incorrect, please call and let us know. We would be happy to review your account individually.

Until next time,
Team Ooma

Yes, got mine today also. The free premier service certainly offsets the monthly taxes. I "might" bite on this. Not sure. If the Telo supports faxes better it might seal the deal for me.

Hub service is definitely not ending Feb 2014 considering my hub is still working fine.

That doesn't say they're ending all Hub service. It specifically points out the "white rabbit VIP" program is ending. Did you use some sort of program to get the original Hub free? It sounds like that's why.

I have a hub and haven't gotten any such email... though they did send an email saying I needed to use it some to keep my number (it's generally a backup while I use my cell for most things).

I got the same email that lszyjka posted. Based on it, I purchased their Telo for $50. When I called Ooma to activate it, they asked me if I wanted to give my Hub to a friend and they would give me a code to activate it for free. I pointed out that the email stated that service was ending on the Hub, and they told me "yes, under the old terms and conditions, but it can still be used under the new terms and conditions." So I don't think they are being entirely honest about this.

The email also states that the upgrade offer includes free Premier service. However, the second Ooma rep I spoke to told me that Premier is only free for the first 60 days. When I read the email wording to the rep, she didn't know anything about it.

Something doesn't smell right here... I think I'll do more digging before I activate this Telo.

Edit: Another weird thing about that email - I paid $179.95 for the Hub, I did not get it for free.

I sent the following email to customeradvocate@ooma.com:
Hi there,

Last week I received the following email from Ooma:

====
Dear Customer,

Improved call reliability with Ooma PureVoice™ technology
Hear the difference of HD Voice when you talk to other Ooma Telo and Ooma Mobile users
Take advantage of Telo-only features like personal caller-ID with Contact Lists

Place your Telo anywhere in your home with the Wireless Adapter
Pair your cell phone to your home phone with the Bluetooth Adapter
Enjoy smartphone features on your home phone with the optional HD2 Handset
Connect additional phones and fax machines quickly and easily with the wireless Linx device

Please be aware that service will end on your Ooma Hub. Take advantage of this limited time offer now to upgrade and enjoy the newest technology by calling us at 1-866-452-6662 with the offer code VIP-UPGRADE. This offer has been extended and expires on March 31, 2014.

Our records indicate that you were given this device free of charge. If for any reason this is incorrect, please call and let us know. We would be happy to review your account individually.

Until next time,
Team Ooma
====

I would like clarification on two items.

1. Today when I called Ooma to transfer service, the rep told me that I could give my Hub to someone else to use. When I pointed out that the upgrade letter clearly stated that service on the Hub was ending, he told me that it was ending for the old terms and conditions but it could continue to be used with the new terms and conditions. I upgraded to the Telo because I thought I had no choice.

Would I have been able to keep using my Hub? How long would service have lasted under the old T&C? Could I have reactivated it under the new T&C? The upgrade letter above clearly threatens that service on the Hub will end. Can you clarify this?

2. When I called Ooma a second time to ask a question about transferring my number from the Hub to the Telo, the rep asked me if I wanted to pay for Premier service. I said that the upgrade letter clearly states that Ooma will continue to provide me with Premier service for free on the new Telo. The rep said that Premier is only free for two months, then I have to pay. Again, this was a major reason that I made the upgrade. Can you clarify this?

Please ensure your responses are accurate, as there is a lot of confusion about this offer on the VOIP message boards I'm on, and I plan to post your answers there.

Thanks!

Hopefully someone responds.

I got a response from Ooma! Their replies are in boldface:
Would I have been able to keep using my Hub?  Yes, until the service was stopped.
How long would service have lasted under the old T&C?  According to your letter below, March 31st, 2014
Could I have reactivated it under the new T&C?   Yes, but with no further warranty.  Your device fell out of warranty on 1/2/2011.  If you give/sell the Hub to someone else to activate and use, there is a $9.99 reactivation fee.
Each box, new or re-activated comes with a free 60 day trial of Ooma Premier no matter what.  As your letter mentions below, we will provide you with free Premier even though you were a Basic user.  This is our way of saying "Thank You" for being a loyal customer.  Your new Telo will also come with a new 1 year warranty.

That seems quite reasonable. I am glad I purchased the upgrade.

Yes I did get the same message and I call Ooma support. They told me my service would end at the end of March if I did not upgrade. 

This subject is being discussed in the ooma forums. Take a look and voice your opion

http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17198&start=0#p11...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014