• Text Only
rated:

"Special Order--Not Ink purchase!"
Disclaimer

Instore purchase to correct
Disclaimer

Your screen should look like this
Disclaimer
If you have made online purchases of ink at Staple's to maintain your recycling status, please double-check to ensure that your purchase was considered an ink purchase.  I have had a problem, and it has now been reported by a few others, that recent ink purchases made online have not been properly coded, and will not allow you to get credit for ink recycling.

If this has happened to you, there is NO STAPLE'S FIX (according to them), except you have to call every month and they will award you with a reward check.

My solution:  I went to local store, explained to the manager ( I brought paper copies of my rewards account showing 'special order', pricing, etc) and manager agreed that it was messed up.  So she 'sold' me the ink, using my rewards number (which now shows correctly in my account).  Then I 'returned' the ink w/o a receipt.  No money or ink exchanged hands.

The upside is I gained an extra $5 in rewards ($50 x 10%) and extended my time to purchase ink again by a month.  The downside is I spent over two hours dealing with this, and I made a non-receipt return (using driver license as ID).  Since I rarely (if ever) return product to the store w/o receipt, the latter is no big deal.

If your purchases have been properly recorded, your rewards screen should look like the last pic.  If not it will say something to the affect of 'not eligible' (can't recall the exact wording, but it is what originally alerted me to a problem).

Hope this helps.

(edit: the first pic is indeed my online ink purchase, it just was not recognized by the system)

Member Summary
If you want to calculate the 180 days before today for ink recycling here is the online calculator.  
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP for starting this new thread as the old thread information is not up to date with the recent changes @ straples.

If you want to calculate the 180 days before today for ink recycling here is the online calculator.

ShakuniMama said:   Thanks OP for starting this new thread as the old thread information is not up to date with the recent changes @ straples.

If you want to calculate the 180 days before today for ink recycling here is the online calculator

Ha, I didn't realize I was signing up to manage a new recycling thread .  I just wanted to announce that there may be a specific issue with some (many?) accounts.  But I'll go with the flow .

Happened to me twice in 2013. Had to email CS to get the credit.

I bought ink and a coupon for another product (specific to the product) was used across the board and took my purchase under $30. The office of the President told me to just return the ink and repurchase it as that would be easier for them. So, I take the ink back and repurchase it without any coupons and it was the only thing on the transaction. Well, their system never recognized the purchase and has me at a negative for ink purchases. I was told by the office of the President that "something" is messed up and to make it easier on everyone I should just buy another $30 of ink. No thank you... I now have to call every month with my receipt info to get a $40 courtesy coupon in replace of the automatic rewards. It is a pain but I refuse to buy more ink for their mistake. 

office of the President have an email addy?

tjmightymouse said:    So, I take the ink back and repurchase it without any coupons and it was the only thing on the transaction.

Was this second purchase a straight instore purchase (not kiosk)?  What about the receipt?  Do you not have a transaction showing on your rewards account?

As an aside, when I had the conversation with rewards, the gal said if I had my receipt (slip included with the shipment) they'd be able to help me.  Of course I the slip was long gone, and I doubt they would have been able to help.

Came here worried about Chase Ink Bold...

I bought ink in-store and discovered later that it had not been credited as an ink purchase for the purpose of giving me credit for recycling ink cartridges.

I called customer service who looked at my receipt online (I had shown my rewards number for the ink purchase), said that this sometimes happens in their system, and gave me a special rewards credit for the ink cartridges that I had recycled since.

My situation was similar I purchased ink in store and the kind lady checking me out added a 10% off coupon she had at her register, which brought my purchase price to below $30.  I went to the store the next day and returned the item and purchased it again at a few cents over $30 before tax, then recycled my ink in a third transaction.  Staples said their computer system didn't recognize the second purchase, they can see it in my purchase history online through the Staples rewards site but can't see it or find the purchase # when they look in their system. They know it's a glitch but said they don't have a way to work around it besides them manually issuing my rewards each month after I call and remind them. 

I mentioned this in another Staples thread, but keep in mind that for Premier card holders, the issuing courtesy coupons is not a good long term solution, especially if you like to bank your rewards for a few months in anticipation of making a large purchase. For Premier card holders rewards expire 5 months after they're issued, while courtesy coupons expire in just 4 or 6 weeks or something. I wouldn't be a happy camper if I was planning on saving up for something like a laptop and found that I was instead being forced to blow off all of my courtesy coupon balances every month or month and a half.

Yes I'm not happy about that part, but since so far I've had enough free after rebate items to turn over the rewards for the last few months it hasn't been a problem. If I was saving up for something good or the free after rebate deals dry up then I'll be back on the phone with them complaining. 

Is the 180 days after or before ink purchase or both?

SteveORama said:   Is the 180 days after or before ink purchase or both?
  In order to recycle you must have spent $30 or more OOP in the PREVIOUS 180 days. You can buy ink and recycle on the same day in-store. Effectively it means you need to buy ink to recycle approximately every 6 months.

My December recycling did not post. I looked at the receipt that you get when you do, and my Staples Rewards number was missing. So, I called Staples CSR on 4 separate occasions, with all of them promising that it will be credited to my account. Every conversation was noted on my account. I got fed up, called the office of the President. Their CSR saw the notes, and e-mailed me a credit. Just like that. A couple of things I learned through this experience.

1. Always keep the receipt for ink recycling.
2. Make sure your rewards number is on the receipt.
3. Be patient with regular CSRs, but if they don't get the job done, you know who to call.

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I'm sure there are others getting left behind in their credits.

One thing I do that definitely helps - I present my rewards card (yes the plastic one you have to request that they send to you) so they scan it whenever I bring in cartridges for recycling or buy new inks. That ensures that the account is noted and accurate.

Back before the Rewards system was revamped, I had my account compromised two or three times (my rewards got spent on the opposite coast of the country). Each time they closed the account and opened a new one. The thing is, although inactive, they never delete the old accounts. Once in a while the CSR would enter my phone number instead of scanning the card. It ended up that those transactions got credited to one of the old accounts rather than my current, active one. When I called in to the Rewards department, they would eventually find the problem and correct it (with a courtesy coupon). But getting them to scan the actual card does help eliminate those problems. I also do my ink purchasing and recycling as separate transactions and don't mix other purchases with it. So far they haven't mis-categorized any ink purchases. K-cups OTOH are always mis-categorized, and never shown as breakroom products.

gooddealie said:   One thing I do that definitely helps - I present my rewards card (yes the plastic one you have to request that they send to you) so they scan it whenever I bring in cartridges for recycling or buy new inks. That ensures that the account is noted and accurate.

Back before the Rewards system was revamped, I had my account compromised two or three times (my rewards got spent on the opposite coast of the country). Each time they closed the account and opened a new one. The thing is, although inactive, they never delete the old accounts. Once in a while the CSR would enter my phone number instead of scanning the card. It ended up that those transactions got credited to one of the old accounts rather than my current, active one. When I called in to the Rewards department, they would eventually find the problem and correct it (with a courtesy coupon). But getting them to scan the actual card does help eliminate those problems. I also do my ink purchasing and recycling as separate transactions and don't mix other purchases with it. So far they haven't mis-categorized any ink purchases. K-cups OTOH are always mis-categorized, and never shown as breakroom products.

I gave the cashier my card to scan and she scanned it.  I don't know how it didn't get attached.  Maybe, it'd be better to give her the number so they manually punch it in instead of scanning the bar code.  The receipt didn't have any Rewards numbers.  It was like I just recycled just for sake of recycling not for rewards. 

Can't believe how quickly the office of the president sent out the courtesy coupon.  I was floored.

gooddealie said:   One thing I do that definitely helps - I present my rewards card (yes the plastic one you have to request that they send to you) so they scan it whenever I bring in cartridges for recycling or buy new inks. That ensures that the account is noted and accurate.

For me, presenting the rewards card that I have (which they scan the bar code from) did not ensure that their system processed my ink rewards properly.  (I described this in a different Fatwallet thread about 4 months ago, which I can't find now.)

When I saw that the expected ink recycling credit had not shown up in my rewards account when it should have, I had to call them and ask for them to send me the credit manually.  Their system did already have the record of the ink recycling transaction, and the store clerk had properly recorded my rewards card number during it, but the credits I should have received for the ink recycling just didn't cross over from one Staples database to the other in their computer system when it came time for their system to distribute the reward credits to my rewards account.

The customer service person on the phone told me that this happens sometimes - they are aware of it.  She sent a manual cash credit to my rewards account immediately.

So presenting your physical rewards card to the cashier doesn't always solve this problem, but of course it would make it easier for the telephone rep to verify your claim that you recycled ink cartridges on such-and-such a date, when you call them to get the recycling credit sent to your rewards account manually.

Well after typing all that up, I just realized that a CSR, whom I gave my card to on Saturday, still managed to mess up the rewards number (it's wrong on the receipt, and isn't showing up in my rewards account). Well the chair that I bought is being shipped to the store today, so it looks like I'll be doing a return and rebuy on it as well to make sure it gets put under the correct account. I don't want another courtesy coupon, darn it. What I think happened is that I gave the card to the guy, but he still typed my phone number to bring up the account (i.e., he didn't actually use the card). Because he was typing up the order behind a counter I couldn't really see what he was doing clearly enough to have caught it at the time. Arg.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014