staples closing 225 stores...

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yep, more bad news.  Quiznos just file for bankruptcy as well...
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-14/business/c... (more)

BigDave123 (Mar. 15, 2014 @ 11:20a) |

Does Big Dave have a point?  (or just a partisan ax to grind?)  Is that sector suffering?  Or are they facing increased ... (more)

Treefarn (Mar. 20, 2014 @ 7:27a) |

I spoke with the manager of my local Staples, in the DC metro area. She said they were only closing the stores that were... (more)

Telco59 (Mar. 23, 2014 @ 10:23a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Airport Mall Staples, in Bangor Maine closing at end of March.  It's too bad, because this store is much better run than the other Bangor store, but the location is what hurts it.  Lots of deals that I presume to be local:

All soda/candy near registers 50% off.
3pack (35/pack) lysol wipes: $2.50
Lots of tablet/laptop cases on sale
Display tablets/laptops/PC's about 10% off (stock is pretty much depleted).

And it won't be just Staples, this from the CNN article about the Staples stores closing:

=16pxOffice Depot could be announcing its own store closings in the future as it deals with overlapping locations in the same market produced by the merger.  http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/06/news/companies/staples-store-clo...

Is there a list yet of the stores affected? Have about 4 in my area, wouldn't be surprised if at least one was shut.

edit to add to answer myself:The list of stores has not been made public, but the closings are all in North America.The company says nearly half of is sales are now generated online, so the cuts will make the company more efficient.

MISTERCHEAP said:   Is there a list yet of the stores affected? Have about 4 in my area, wouldn't be surprised if at least one was shut.
They cut the hours for 2 of my stores a while ago.  I suspect they would be on the hit list.  

Wow, maybe that news explains why the CSR answering the Platinum Rewards line was borderline rude earlier this week...
Or not.

I know around here the stores with a higher volume of sales have later hours than the stores with lesser volume. Which ends up putting the lower volume stores at even greater disadvantage. So operating hours may be an indicator of which stores might be looked upon as top candidates for closing.

Little known fact, Norm, they are the 2nd largest internet retailer in North America.

The ending of an era (or error!) Remember the good old days when staff was nice, and you had a chance to buy clearance printers without being herassed to buy "the plan" with it. Remember when we scored furniture and large APC UPS for $10....good times.

I'd rather pay $50-$100 more for a computer direct from Dell/Acer /Lenovo than deal with the horrible staff and managers that corporate created. In the old days staff knew zip but were super nice and honest.

dhilpert said:   Little known fact, Norm, they are the 2nd largest internet retailer in North America.
  #1 would be Amazon?  or is it some other store?  (just curious)

The 90s called. They want their store back!

They should start buying MM FAR items to make some extra money.

My Staples retailer has made a few changes that are impacting our relationship to the point that I am looking for something else to spend my Discover Cash Back on. Changes to the ink and rewards programs have caused me to buy ink less often at Staples, to delay each purchase to 210 days, and to buy less ink at each purchase. This has me in the store less often making less impulse purchases. Only allowing five gift cards on a purchase has caused me to shop for computers elsewhere and has me rethinking my discover Cash Back options.

Another consequence of these changes is that I did not visit Staples on Black Friday. In fact, I only made two small purchases there in November and December.

When you couple these changes with the fact that my oldest graduates college next year, it's easy to see why my Staples might be on the list.

MISTERCHEAP said:   And it won't be just Staples, this from the CNN article about the Staples stores closing:

=16pxOffice Depot could be announcing its own store closings in the future as it deals with overlapping locations in the same market produced by the merger.  http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/06/news/companies/staples-store-clo...

I don't know why this got red.  The retail bubble has burst.  Empty malls, closing stores, and empty parking lots are nothing new.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Wal-Mart and the USPS acting as a pickup/return depot for online retailers.  Before long most jobs will be government jobs.  Get used to it.

Go ahead and close some stores if you have to.  Just don't mess with free shipping or the stellar customer service online and by phone.  In-store customer service is still hit-or-miss though.

I've rediscovered the Staples awesomeness this year. Whatever I order is usually at my door the next afternoon. The prices are usually higher, but PM or coupons + rewards even it out. The nearby store employees are always nice (I go during slow hours), and chat and phone reps are amazingly efficient and non-controversial (Price match? Sure thing! Return or replacement? We'll get one out to you right away! Missing rewards? Sorry about that, here's a courtesy coupon!).

But I don't need to visit the stores for any of this, so I'm not surprised they're closing down a few.

Speaking of awesomeness, the pricematch on the $200 i7-K CPU deal was hassle-free.  I like the timed discount popups they have on their website now and if you return an inexpensive item, they just tell you to keep it.  I also like the option of in-store pickup but it's not obvious which counter you need to go to.  And they always have a hard time finding my package.  They need to dedicate and streamline in-store pickup like Best Buy.

anybody have link for the Staples closing store list ?

scripta said:   I've rediscovered the Staples awesomeness this year. Whatever I order is usually at my door the next afternoon. The prices are usually higher, but PM or coupons + rewards even it out. The nearby store employees are always nice (I go during slow hours), and chat and phone reps are amazingly efficient and non-controversial (Price match? Sure thing! Return or replacement? We'll get one out to you right away! Missing rewards? Sorry about that, here's a courtesy coupon!).

But I don't need to visit the stores for any of this, so I'm not surprised they're closing down a few.

The couple of nearby stores have great employees, however, the problem is overzealous managers.  PMs have been a disaster specially if it involves any coupons or rebates. Manager HAS to do it and of course, they insist on applying deducting everything first and negating any PM even if the other store has a rebate.  I won't even bother now even if they make up their own interpretation of the policies...

Closing are through the middle of next year so locations will probably be announced piece meal...
http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/06/news/companies/staples-store-closing/ 

Concerned there are a number of store closings coming up.  Staples (225 stores), Radio Shack (1100 stores), and Office Depot to come just to name a few.  President Barack Obama, citing an improving economy and the enrollment of 1 million people in his health-care plan, said the country was poised for a strong year in 2014.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-21/obama-cites-improving-economy-aided-by-obamacare-in-2014.html 

I guess not in this sector....

VivYip said:   
dhilpert said:   Little known fact, Norm, they are the 2nd largest internet retailer in North America.
  #1 would be Amazon?  or is it some other store?  (just curious)

#1 Amazon - $48 Billion
#2 Staples - $10.6
#3 Apple - $6.6
#4 WalMart - $4.9
#5 Dell - $4.6

(2011)

#1 Amazon - $48 Billion#2 Staples - $10.6
#3 Apple - $6.6
#4 WalMart - $4.9
#5 Dell - $4.6

(2011)

Honorable Mention: Microsoft store: $9.9 (that's thousand, not billion)

BigDave123 said:   Closing are through the middle of next year so locations will probably be announced piece meal...

Concerned there are a number of store closings coming up.  Staples (225 stores), Radio Shack (1100 stores), and Office Depot to come just to name a few.  President Barack Obama, citing an improving economy and the enrollment of 1 million people in his health-care plan, said the country was poised for a strong year in 2014.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-21/obama-cites-improving-economy-aided-by-obamacare-in-2014.html 

I don't understand the reason for the  handful of "reds" to this post other than perhaps political ideology of the posters.   Big Dave has a valid point.... certain sectors of the economy are suffering and will not survive.  There is no reason to sugar coat economic reality, is there?.

Well that explains why it has been so hard to find items in my local stores. I've really been ordering online and that's sad.

bighitter said:   
BigDave123 said:   Closing are through the middle of next year so locations will probably be announced piece meal...

I don't understand the reason for the  handful of "reds" to this post other than perhaps political ideology of the posters.   Big Dave has a valid point.... certain sectors of the economy are suffering and will not survive.  There is no reason to sugar coat economic reality, is there?.

Restaurants especially.  The price of food is soaring, taxes are increasing, and disposable income is down.  A few restaurants in my area have closed, some have changed hands -- one changed hands then closed -- and parking lots are empty.  It's going to get worse.  Adding a fee to the bill for ACA is going to chase more customers away.  Every time a business downsizes, restaurants lose a little more business for lunch.  When 1500 stores close, a lot of people stop going out to lunch.

qcumber98 said:   Go ahead and close some stores if you have to.  Just don't mess with free shipping or the stellar customer service online and by phone.  In-store customer service is still hit-or-miss though.

I never need help with the in store.  I agree about the free shipping and customer service.

Still it's sad to see they are closing so many.  The end of an era alright.

Some of the malls I used to love now seem so empty when I revisit them again.

Thanks OP for letting me know.  I don't know to give green or not.

More likely had Staples stocked their stores, and had uniform policies, they would have been better off now.

I seriously got very tired of going to the store and not finding stock, and even worse, some employee spouting a new unwritten company policy, just made up in the store.

bighitter said:   I don't understand the reason for the  handful of "reds" to this post other than perhaps political ideology of the posters.Since you don't understand, I'll explain -- while what you agreed with may be true, it's presented with a politically charged logical fallacy.

I had a location down the street from my house close with about a weeks notice. It was crazy as if the employees even had no idea until the last moment. The store closed about a month ago though.

More news from Union Street "Airport Mall" Staples, Bangor, ME.
Closing date 3/29/2014

Received at checkout today:
$10 off $30 one time use coupon, printed on small glossy flyer. Says only valid in Union Street Staples. 3/16-3/24
$10 off $30 one time use coupon "at any other local store", printed on receipt. States "in local area Staples store only". Exp: 5/10
$30 off $60 one time use coupon, online only, printed with same receipt. Exp: 5/10

dazviking said:   More news from Union Street "Airport Mall" Staples, Bangor, ME.
Closing date 3/29/2014

Received at checkout today:
$10 off $30 one time use coupon, printed on small glossy flyer. Says only valid in Union Street Staples. 3/16-3/24
$10 off $30 one time use coupon "at any other local store", printed on receipt. States "in local area Staples store only". Exp: 5/10
$30 off $60 one time use coupon, online only, printed with same receipt. Exp: 5/10

sorry to hear that (especially for you, since you mentioned it's better run, but bad location)

strange coupons though (since it's supposed to close by 3/29?)

litehazelbandit said:   I had a location down the street from my house close with about a weeks notice. It was crazy as if the employees even had no idea until the last moment. The store closed about a month ago though.
  When I was at the store this weekend I asked the store manager about possible closings.  She told me it won't affect our city (there's only 2 in total here). Additionally, she said that the stores that are affected were notified several months ago, and they mostly are in states/cities that have 6 or 7 stores.   

I hope none of the3 near me are closing...

I just got this for
February rewards - it must be all that free paper

You have $590.00 in total Rewards to spend.

yesidonoitall said:   I hope none of the3 near me are closing...

I just got this for
February rewards - it must be all that free paper

You have $590.00 in total Rewards to spend.

I guess when rewards are killed off we will know who to blame.

more like please have him go shopping at Staples more. (even at 20 x $4/ ink cartridge, that's only $80, $500 from even 5% - 15% back is impressive...if it's true)

VivYip said:   more like please have him go shopping at Staples more. (even at 20 x $4/ ink cartridge, that's only $80, $500 from even 5% - 15% back is impressive...if it's true)
  If only.  More like 10+ different rewards accounts.

VivYip said:   more like please have him go shopping at Staples more. (even at 20 x $4/ ink cartridge, that's only $80, $500 from even 5% - 15% back is impressive...if it's true)
  When did they offer $4 for each of 20 empties?

LiquidSilver said:   
  If only.  More like 10+ different rewards accounts.

true.  thank you.  (i forget some people do that. =P  never thought of it)

RE:
My $590 in rewards

They paid it kinda oddly....
2  $250
and 1
$90 rewards....
I will check further to be sure I was not ripped off.   LOL.....

Yep, more bad news.  Quiznos just file for bankruptcy as well...
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-14/business/chi-quiznos-bankruptcy--20140314_1_bankruptcy-filing-subway-restaurants-debt

Hope this economy gets better... 

Skipping 2 Messages...
I spoke with the manager of my local Staples, in the DC metro area. She said they were only closing the stores that were not doing well, most of which were in the mid west or west coast. All the profitable stores will remain open. She said no stores in Maryland will be closing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014