• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/lawyers-bully-redditor-for-negative-amazon-com-router-review/ 

Review 
Story said: Update 5/8/2014 19:44 CT: On Thursday, Mediabridge Products posted an official statement about this incident to its Facebook page, clarifying its position and saying that Amazon has revoked its selling privileges. (Thanks to PrimalxConvoy for the tip).

In the statement, the company says that it did not actually sue the Amazon reviewer, but that it did insist that the reviewer's "untrue, damaging, and disparaging statements" be taken down. "It’s our sincere belief that reasonable people understand that not only is it within our rights to take steps to protect our integrity, but that it should be expected that we would do so when it is recklessly attacked," Mediabridge Products wrote. "The reviewer has since changed his review completely to remove the libelous statements, but unfortunately not before having an army attack us on the internet."

The company did not give any clue as to the terms of Amazon's rescinding of Mediabridge's selling license, but only said at the end of its statement, "Unfortunately, as a result of our attempt to get this reviewer to do the right thing & remove his untrue statements about our company, Amazon has revoked our selling privileges. Many hard-working employees whose livelihood depended on that business will likely be put out of a job, by a situation that has been distorted & blown out of proportion."

Original story: Lawyers for Mediabridge Products, a wireless network device manufacturer, sent a scathing letter to a redditor on Monday, threatening to sue him unless he deletes his negative review of one of the company's products on Amazon.com.

After posting the negative review of a Medialink Wireless Router product—which became the “most helpful” negative review on Amazon.com—an attorney for Mediabridge sent him a letter explaining that the company “zealously guards its hard-earned reputation” and that “you have harmed Mediabridge and we intend to hold you liable for all damages sustained.”

The reviewer, who goes by "trevely," posted the letter to reddit, soliciting responses (and receiving lots of them) and requesting help with his legal fees. “If you want to contribute to my legal fees, just message me for a link. I haven't been served yet, so hopefully it won't come to that,” the redditor explained.

"Never in my life have I been so relentlessly bullied by a company,” he wrote on Amazon. "Please keep that in mind when considering whether to purchase any products from Medialink. And if you decide to leave a negative review, don’t use your real name like I did."

In the letter, Mediabridge’s attorney, Neal Jacobs, explains that the company plans to take legal action against the reviewer for his "illegal campaign to damage, discredit, defame and libel Mediabridge and/or to engage in other tortious, wrongful, and/or illegal conduct directed against Mediabridge."

Jacobs details a number of the claims that the company says are false and misleading, including that “Mediabridge has falsified (“faked”) reviews” on Amazon to boost sales and that the Medialink wireless router in question “is identical to another router and that Mediabridge/Medialink only rebranded that same router.” The letter continues, “Make no mistake, these libelous statements you made in a public forum are false and you cannot support them with any proof.”

The company demands that “in order to avoid this coming to litigation” reddit must delete his negative product review within three days of receiving this letter, stop all “defamatory and injurious” conduct toward the company, and agree to never purchase nor comment upon a Mediabridge product again.

Mediabridge was not immediately available for comment on Wednesday morning.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I would never buy anything from a Third-Party seller on Amazon. Two times in the last two months, my money has been take... (more)

Methxtra (May. 10, 2014 @ 5:31p) |

Same should be said for buying from third party "marketplace" sellers on Newegg.  When some cables did not even report a... (more)

fatgempler (May. 10, 2014 @ 9:56p) |

Well, it's good to hear Amazon stepped in to protect its reviewers. Honestly, think how many times we list Amazon review... (more)

Virgil27 (May. 13, 2014 @ 5:57p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Don't buy anything from Mediabridge

Will Mediabridge do witch hunting for this post. LOL.

Cannot find the original review.  Couldn't pull it up on google cache either.  Anybody have it somewhere?

Would love to see the original. Unfortunately, this is the age where a big company with lawyers, can bully the little guy into not giving bad reviews. Good for Amazon to step up and defend him.

I bought a cable from Mediabridge and it broke after using it a couple of times. I sent it back and got a refund but their stuff is crap. (Uh oh - maybe I shouldn't have said that!)

You are in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mediabridge who ?

Is Mediabridge different from Medialink? I was considering purchasing a new router from Medialink on Amazon.

To anyone who Missed the review, mediabridge was actually in the right. The reviewer went off on some wild claims like MB was rebadging routers with no actual proof. This is what mediabridge attacked.

Amazon selling license?

jeffmd said:   To anyone who Missed the review, mediabridge was actually in the right. The reviewer went off on some wild claims like MB was rebadging routers with no actual proof. This is what mediabridge attacked.
In the social media/internet age there is a right way and a wrong way to deflect bogus reviews. The heavy handed demands by the lawyer did more damage than this one bad review. Small companies really need to carefully analyze using lawyers in a public relations arena. I'm not sure that Mediabridge could have posted a rebuttal to the Amazon review. That should have been the first course of action. Threatening legal action just gave this reviewer a bigger audience to further damage this company.

1) It sure looks like a Tenda to me but black
2) It has OVER 1000+ 5 Star reviews. Even Netgear only has 500 or so.

I haven't seen the complaint so I can't tell if it would hold water, but he does make some accusations about the 'fake reviews' and I suspect that's the reason Amazon took them down instead of over suing this guy (Heck Look at Netgear)

jeffmd said:   To anyone who Missed the review, mediabridge was actually in the right. The reviewer went off on some wild claims like MB was rebadging routers with no actual proof. This is what mediabridge attacked.
Really? And what is your evidence to show that the reviewer was wrong about that re-badging claim? I found another, very detailed review on another site (link ), which contains the following:
SmallNetBuilder site said: The FCC ID reveals that the MWN-WAPR300N is actually a Tenda W368R, which is powered by a Ralink RT3052 SoC. The 2.4 GHz radio is built into the RT3052, but there are two external Richwave RTC6691 2.4 GHz power amps. The switch is an Atheros AR8236 5 port Fast Ethernet chip. Rounding out the major components, there is 16 MB of RAM (Hynix HY57v281620FTP-H) and 2 MB of flash (MMXIC KH29LV320). All this info comes courtesy of Tenda's FCC ID filiings, which include a complete parts list and schematic! Clearly, Tenda doesn't think there is anything magic about the product that needs protection.

Looks like their Facebook page is gone now too.

Here's a link to the letter
http://archive.today/YwSYC

It mostly is talking about the 'false reivews' statement over the 'Rebadged' statement.

To anyone who missed the details, that reviewer has his "proof" ... Medialink's application for an FCC ID of the router.  Medialink specifically references Tenda's router by its FCC ID number and requests their own FCC ID "for purpose of marketing". PDF link
Back in December, Craig Ellison wrote a review of the other Medialink router for SmallNetBuilder.com that stated "The FCC ID reveals that the MWN-WAPR300N is actually a Tenda W368R, which is powered by a Ralink RT3052 SoC."

These router companies sure are sue happy!

I checked out the reviews on Amazon for the router here and typically you might see 1 or 2 every other day or even 2 a week here there are reviews from 4 to 7 and as high as 12 a day all 5 stars. Not as bad as some companies that I have seen on Amazon that had 25 to 40 5 stars a day.

dishdude said:   These router companies sure are sue happy!
  Actually they didn't 'sue' they sent a letter to him TELLING him they will sue.  You can get those written up for about $75.

kshell said:   ...The heavy handed demands by the lawyer did more damage than this one bad review...
  yep.

Bought a few of their cables and no complain at all. But then I did not buy a router either.

Did anyone else thought it was Netgear that got in trouble w/ Amazon when he read the message title??

I would love yo read the review. It must have said something that struck a cord and embarrassed them greatly to go to such lengths.. And was probably true. People do not go out of their way to write a bad review unless a company did something to reall piss off the customer. Never heard of Mediabridge before and probably will not hear of them again.

Consumerist has a grat wire up of what happened.
Sure enough thus guy figured out that the Amazon reviews for this company's products were shills.
And he opened out his router and found the same inside of cheap Chinese off brand routers...
No wonder they got so upset.
http://consumerist.com/2014/05/08/how-does-a-negative-amazon-rev...

Wow, after reading that letter there is no way I would ever buy anything that from that company! They are now permanently trashed in my mind. Had they simply responded to his assertions on Amazon as baseless and untrue, no one would have given the guy's review a second thought. Because we all know people who go crazy with reviews. But by pursuing legal action against him they have made a mountain out of a mole hill that showed their true nature as a company.

Seems like the first letter was written by an amature.
Little guy hits back with social media

owenscott said:   Seems like the first letter was written by an amature.
Little guy hits back with social media

I think it was indeed written by an amateur.  

But actual proof was given that it  was a rebadged Tenda router. OTOH I didn't see proof that Mediabridge paid for reviews, as the reviewer claimed, nor did Mediabridge prove that it didn't pay for any.

If Mediabridge is right, why didn't it come out with proof regarding the technical points, rather than sound like a lawyer?  

You guys did the see the review that talked about Medialink and how they sold them some Headlights?

When you look at the number of reviews, all positive (thousands!) before redittors started leaving negative reviews, it looks really suspicious. Even a great piece of electronics doesnt have 1,000 5 star reviews with less than 10 under 3 stars. thats impossible. That router could clean your house, wash your car, and feed your kids, and it would still get 20 negative reviews.

The Tenda was given away by Microcenter as part of an Intel launch.  I am sure lots of people have them.  That router normally costs about $15.  Works fine for a barebones unit.  That Mediabridge router costs about $50 and looks just like the Tenda.  They may have different firmware though.  If the unit did some other firmware, then I guess one could say the product is different enough to not call it just a rebadge.

Mediabridge is hardly the only product that has an unusually high number of positive reviews on Amazon.  Some antenna comes to my mind. 

Anyway, I found it amazing just in the fact that so many people would even purchase, yet alone care about a router basically nobody outside of Amazon buyers have ever heard of.  Don't kid yourself into thinking neither Mediabridge nor Amazon knew this as well.

I would never buy anything from a Third-Party seller on Amazon. Two times in the last two months, my money has been taken an item never shipped. Now Amazon wont give a refund for TWO weeks and already been waiting for the item for a month. After looking further through the sellers feedback. They have sold this same item multiple times, taking peoples money and never delivering merchandise. Where do you lay-down 200$ and you get nothing for it? Answer: Amazon!!

Methxtra said:   I would never buy anything from a Third-Party seller on Amazon

Same should be said for buying from third party "marketplace" sellers on Newegg.  When some cables did not even report as having shipped in over a week I tried to contact the seller but never heard back so at the two two week mark i complained to Newegg that I neither received the product, a tracking number, or any response from my emails to the seller.  Four days later Newegg emails me to say they will contact the seller on my behalf.  It took 25 days to get a pack of five HDMI cables and by that time I had just bought some locally.  The Newegg "marketplace" will be the death of Newegg.

Well, it's good to hear Amazon stepped in to protect its reviewers. Honestly, think how many times we list Amazon reviews on forum posts or Best Deals. I think Amazon probably realized if it looked like its third-party sellers were compromising that integrity, it could damage their brand.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014