• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
***ATTENTION: Staples is halting their Pricematch Policy as of 2/23/03. They will NO LONGER PRICEMATCH ITEMS FOUND ON THE INTERNET***

Get in on the pricematchs while they still accept them...

Ok. So you want to take advantage of Staple's Price Matching policy? Here are some tips and past experiences to help you out.

Staples offers a 110% pricematch guarentee. This means that if you find a cheaper price ANYWHERE, whether it be at a B&M (Brick and Mortar) or online, they will match that price and deduct 10% of the DIFFERENCE between their price and the price you found. Many good deals can be had with this policy. Different combinations, such as coupons and rebates, have been used to even make money and get merchandise. In the policy it also states that a $5.00 shipping fee will be added for all orders that are pricematched over the internet, unless one is provided. Only 50% of the time has this fee been added. Many cashiers do not remember, or know, to do this.


Here are some tips:

1. If you find a cheaper price on the internet, make sure that you have the phone number to the online site written down when you go into Staples. No Staples stores have access to the internet, except for their own website, and many will make a phone call to the company you are pricematching. (Edit: I have gotten a few PMs saying that stores DO have internet access, all I say to that is that the stores I have PM'd at, they have never gone to the back and checked. However, I did have a problem one time and was told they would need a number since they are blocked from internet usage.)

2. Always try and use a Staples (or a Office Depot/Office Max) coupon on top of the pricematch. The terms for the pricematch policy do not neccessarily exclude coupons from pricematches, however some stores will not accept coupons on top of the pricematch.

3. Don't try to print out a fake website or attempt to edit a price on a webpage using their html and then pricematch it at Staples. While this might work, it really takes away from Staples revenues. We can assume that this pricematching policy is being closely monitored by Staples headquarters, and the minute that they see the policy is affecting their sales/profit in a negative way, I have no doubt they will pull the plug on their pricematch policy.

4. If you accidently leave your Pricematch printout at home, it's not a big deal. Staples has a 14 day pricematch guarentee. Just bring back the receipt along with the printout you forgot, and you will be refunded the proper amount.

5. Some good websites, just to name a few, to pricematch Staples items from are: www.pricewatch.com & www.pricegrabber.com.

If you find any good pricematches, feel free to list them here.

If you have any questions specifically related to the Staples pricematch policy, just ask. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

Also, if anyone has any other information they think should be added, just PM me. Thanks.

bump! <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif"border=0>

COOOOOOOOOLLLLLL<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

Good info

Hazarrd said:

<< No Staples stores have access to the internet, except for their own website, and many will make a phone call to the company you are pricematching.
>>



Yesterday saw a woman PMing something to a website print out and the CSR said "hold on, I'll be right back, I need to check this page out myself." And he wasn't talking about a phone call! So there.

Nice. And yes, their internet access does let them browse the net, but the guy at my store said his internet is too slow and it will be quicker to call. Now if only we can get some more coupons.

That has happened to me before. I'm 100% sure they do not have access to outside internet. Last week I went in without a phone number and they guy was telling me how he needs a number since he can't check online. The only way a store can check is if they have a sample computer set up on cablemodem in their store. A lot of cable companies like to put these in Staples for some reason. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

bgnhntr said:

<< Hazarrd said:

<< No Staples stores have access to the internet, except for their own website, and many will make a phone call to the company you are pricematching.
>>



Yesterday saw a woman PMing something to a website print out and the CSR said "hold on, I'll be right back, I need to check this page out myself." And he wasn't talking about a phone call! So there.
>>


Well, since this is an Unofficial thread, I can't add it to my Official Official Thread Threads list <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0>

<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0>

AdultMovieStar said:

<< Well, since this is an Unofficial thread, I can't add it to my Official Official Thread Threads list <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0> >>



What if this was renamed a "Official Unofficial" thread?

<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif"border=0>



<< My rebate-o-meter reads: $200.50 tied up >>


How did you get $.50?

ConsumerAddict said:

<<

<< My rebate-o-meter reads: $200.50 tied up >>


How did you get $.50?
>>



prolly a grocery coupon

AdultMovieStar said:

<< Well, since this is an Unofficial thread, I can't add it to my Official Official Thread Threads list <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0> >>



looks like the title has been changed!!

ConsumerAddict said:

<<

<< My rebate-o-meter reads: $200.50 tied up >>


How did you get $.50?
>>



It's a combination of rebates...one was $x.50.

LOL...this thread got added to AdultMovieStar's "Official Official" thread...

Hooray! Heh heh heh... <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif"border=0>

ungsunghero said:

<< LOL...this thread got added to AdultMovieStar's "Official Official" thread... >>


FYI - In Staples PM policies the current Staples rebates and any coupons the customer presents are taken into account PRIOR to PM.

Eaxmple:

Staples sells a DVD drive for $80 with $20 instant rebate and $20 mail-in rebate. Customer also has a $10 off $50 purchased price coupon. So at the register you pay $50+tax and get a receipt with a $20 mail-in rebate.

Customer brings in an on-line ad for the same DVD drive (right down to the SKU & model number) selling for $22. Shipping is hidden in later pages and is $15 for over night shipping. No other promotions or discount apply at on-line retailer.

The right way for Staples to PM is:

$80 Base price of DVD drive
-$20 Instant rebate
-$10 Coupon*
-$20 Mail-in rebate*
-----------------------
$30 Staples PM basis price

$22 On-line store base price
+$15 Over-night shipping charge*
-----------------------
$37 On-line PM basis price


The Staples Manger can Rightfully tell you there is no PM availble. Staple bottom line price is cheaper than the on-line store. Why the overnight shipping charge -> Staple ships all product for overnight delivery.

In reality the * items are rarly considered into the PM process. So most times you'll get a $41.80 price reduction on the $60 DVD price.

$60-$22=$38 + 10% -> $18.20+tax and a $20 rebate form. So after rebate the DVD drive is FREE.

Good Luck, Staples is getting harded to do this with every day. So do this carefully and respect the people you are dealing with. In the end you'll do better to let some deals fall through. In the end more deals will happen then be rejected. Try to make the deal not force it.

I think the manager has access to the internet in his office only. I handed the manager a page from the internet which did not have a phone number on it so he went in the back and came back with a next day shipping price.

Staples cannot charge you next day unless they offer next day and so far I have NEVEr in 4 years gotten anythingnext day from them.
Also, manager should not count the coupon you will be using. Be smart, tell them about the pricematch and when they finished and you go to pay, give the coupon with your cc or cash


rumors are that on 2/23/03 Staples will no longer pricematch to internet sites anymore ... a terribly sad day if this is true <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0>

Can you pricematch more then once if price droppes again in 30 days?

Memyselfi said:

<< Staples cannot charge you next day unless they offer next day and so far I have NEVEr in 4 years gotten anythingnext day from them. >>



Many people get stuff next day from Staples via UPS Ground -- it all depends how close you are to the Staples distribution warehouse. But that's not to say they charge you for next day shipping.

The Staples that I go to (Burlington, VT) they have a computer in the back with NetZero on it. I know since they've asked me to show them a price on the net for pricematching.

Memyselfi said:

<< Staples cannot charge you next day unless they offer next day and so far I have NEVEr in 4 years gotten anythingnext day from them.
Also, manager should not count the coupon you will be using. Be smart, tell them about the pricematch and when they finished and you go to pay, give the coupon with your cc or cash
>>



You must be in a remote area because I almost always get my shipments next day. Occassionally they do screw up. Then you can call them and if it is over 2 day delay, they will usually issue you an in-store coupon for free merchandise. Just call and ask "since I was inconvenienced by the delay of expecting my product on ??? date, is their anything that you can do for me?" Be nice, it works!

Operator said:

<< rumors are that on 2/23/03 Staples will no longer pricematch to internet sites anymore ... a terribly sad day if this is true <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0> >>

Yes, I have heard that same date from 3 separate people at my local Staples. Bad.<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0>

I was trying to PM the Nikon coolpix 4500 to Amazon and the Staples CSR said that since the difference is more than $100 they would have to get approval from corporate and it would take 2-3 days. Is it true?

No where in their policy does it say ANYTHING about that. Be firm on the PM issue when you go in, but not pushy or mean. Simply find the sign in the store that states the PM rules, and you should have no problem.

sanjayraj said:

<< I was trying to PM the Nikon coolpix 4500 to Amazon and the Staples CSR said that since the difference is more than $100 they would have to get approval from corporate and it would take 2-3 days. Is it true? >>


Do you have some sort of a serious problem? How about doing a nice informative post like this yourself instead of criticizing?

bgnhntr said:

<< And he wasn't talking about a phone call! So there. >>


kenblakely said:

<< Operator said:

<< rumors are that on 2/23/03 Staples will no longer pricematch to internet sites anymore ... a terribly sad day if this is true <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0> >>

Yes, I have heard that same date from 3 separate people at my local Staples. Bad.<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0>
>>

Confirmed by the general manager at my local Staples. Really bad.<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0><img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0><img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif"border=0>

Looks like, thats the only option available for staples, not PMing with online stores.

Memyselfi said:

<< Staples cannot charge you next day unless they offer next day and so far I have NEVEr in 4 years gotten anythingnext day from them.
>>



Tried to order an item ($99.98) over the phone and did the price match ($64.95). They added the next day delivery $24 to the price ($64.95+$24). So they were only willing to price match the difference $99.98 - $88.95. What do you mean by "cannot charge you next day"? Is it because I order over the phone and not buy it B&M? Thanks.

Wow...no more pricematching online...thats gonna suck <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0> Better get some good deals before they stop that...

when i pricematched online they always asked what's the shipping the online vender charges...

Just started PM'ing at Staples about 2 months ago - read about fatwallet around december of 2002. Already got some great deals on digital cameras, chordless keyboard, hard disks, LCD monitor.

It was unbelievable to think that it was even possible to get such good deals.

Anyway, I guess those great laptop deals will still be available as it is mostly clearance + rebates.

Never tried to abuse the system. Took it if I got it on the first attempt. Great store. They have my loyalty as long as the price is the same.

I'm 100% sure they do not have access to outside internet.

You are quite wrong on the internet access issue. I PERSONALLY went in the back area with an associate to pricematch a monitor. I brought the printout from the website in and they went in the back to PM. She came back out and said the item could not be found at that site when I knew damned well it was still in stock there. She took me back for me to attempt to find it myself online at the printouts site (which I did) and successfully PM'd the item.
Hazarrd said:

<< That has happened to me before. I'm 100% sure they do not have access to outside internet. Last week I went in without a phone number and they guy was telling me how he needs a number since he can't check online. The only way a store can check is if they have a sample computer set up on cablemodem in their store. A lot of cable companies like to put these in Staples for some reason. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

bgnhntr said:

<< Hazarrd said:

<< No Staples stores have access to the internet, except for their own website, and many will make a phone call to the company you are pricematching.
>>



Yesterday saw a woman PMing something to a website print out and the CSR said "hold on, I'll be right back, I need to check this page out myself." And he wasn't talking about a phone call! So there.
>>

>>


February 28 - no more internet pricematching
March 1 - Staples lays off 75% of their CSR at Staples.com and 1-800-staples because they're not needed anymore. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif"border=0>

don't get too carried away now. every week or so someone says that their mother's hairdresser's boyfriend's daughter's paperboy said that Staples will stop pm'ing and they know for sure since their brother is dating a Staples stockgirl.

This is just another rumor! Every couple months someone is lied to by a csr in store or on the phone and then makes a thread. They are not changing their policy.

Skipping 43 Messages...
Hmmmmm, not a bad idea?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014