Why Don't Ebay sellers ship to PO boxes?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just received a confirmed paypal payment via instant transfer (bank account) to my paypal and the ship to address is a PO box. I was wondering why most selelrs won'r ship to PO boxes? Is it just because typicaly carriers such as fedex and UPS can't deliver there...It won't be a problem for me as I'll probably use USPS priority mail. They also provided an unconfirmed address for me to ship to. Everything checks out with contact info, feedback, e-mails, etc. so I know the accounts not hacked so the only problem would be if he just claimed he didn't receive it..which can happen. Which is why I plan to just ship to his confirmed PO address. I was wondering whether there's any problem with that? Thanks,

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=24&threadid=222314

Well, yeah I knew most of that already. I was just wodnering whether paypal will still protect me as a seller in case they claim they never received the item. In my understanding, the USPS will only leave a notice in the PO box that an item has been shipped there and they'd need to walk over to the counter in order to sign for it anyways... So wouldn't I be protected from them claiming they never received it?

I am a Power Seller on eBay. I ship to PO Boxes all the time. As long as payment goes to my PayPal account, I could care less where the buyer request payment to go. In my opinion PO Boxes are alot safer to send then street addresses.

no, PO Box users dont have to sign for the package unless it is registered (which is expensive) When you mail the package you could ask for Delivery Confirmation its just .45 cents. It gives you a number you could look up on USPS.com and track it until its delivered. To be covered you would need to purchase insurance.

Fedex does ship to po box... and if it is under $250, who cares, you can still be protected as a seller...

actually, I've shipped to a PO box with airborne before too. I think it's only because the clerks don't know they can't ship to a PO box and once they receive it and take it over there it's too late. They try to ship it no matter what...by calling the receiver and the sender. On a couple of rare instances the package gets returned to me if they can't contact the receiver. I just didn't want to go through that hassle and was prepared to ship via USPS.

unconfirmed address = no Paypal seller protection.

Using US mail(PO box) priority w/insurance and DC could be more costly depending on the item. Also, someone has to physically get to a local PO, and then wait line to ship an item over 1 lbs. or w/insurance. ....whereas ground services usually have a pick-up.

Each seller will use their own cost/benefit/risk formula here. For example, if a 6 lbs. item insured for $250 costs $16.95 sent US priority w/insurance & DC and that same item has a cost of $8.25 to send via ground services with a pick-up (no lines at the PO), then it is clear why some sellers will not ship to POBs or charge extra to do so.

On the other hand, if the item is 4 oz. w/$50 insurance and the PO is around the corner, US mail should be the sensible choice.

I ship to PO Boxes all the time too but if the item is worth more than $50, I ship UPS so the buyer can't say "I never got the item" when the tracking number is on UPS website. If the item is over $200, I require a signature and make no exceptions to that rule. Just to protect myself in case of a dispute. So far, I have not had anyone say they never received an item....never hurts to be careful.

steve20832 said:

<< I ship to PO Boxes all the time too but if the item is worth more than $50, I ship UPS so the buyer can't say "I never got the item" when the tracking number is on UPS website. If the item is over $200, I require a signature and make no exceptions to that rule. Just to protect myself in case of a dispute. So far, I have not had anyone say they never received an item....never hurts to be careful. >>

Excellent astute business practice you engage in

wkendrvr said:

<< Fedex does ship to po box... and if it is under $250, who cares, you can still be protected as a seller... >>

Umm no, they don't, at least not US post office type boxes, mailbox etc type then yes. Perhaps Fedex has or is still undergoing negotiation with USPS about this issue (Fedex flies most of USPS's air cargo) but as of now, you cannot use fedex to a US Postal PO box.

Buyer paying through paypal with confirmed P.O BOX address, but asking to ship to different address which is not confirmed. Is it safe.

Maybe. Is it Seller Protected by Paypal: no. You must shipped to the Paypal confirmed address.

i've been wondering all this while about ebay's and paypal's "seller protection" and "buyer's protection".

has anyone actually used the procedure before?

btw, i once shipped to a PO Box that was "confirmed" by paypal.

I thought they don't because ups (which alot of sellers ship through) will not ship to a po box?

I won't ship to PO Boxes because (like some here stated) I use FedEx ground, and they will not ship to PO Boxes. That truly is the only reason.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014