Will Costco mount tires purchased elsewhere?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm thinking of joining Costco even though it's a little far from my home. I need some new tires but don't want any that they offer on the website. Will they mount tires that you bring in? Will they accept a shipment from someplace like TireRack? Thanks.

No

My brother went in to Costco looking for some high performance tires for he Integra. He didnt see any he liked so he asked if they can order the ones he wanted and they said ya. Final price came out to be around the same as buying them off of TireRack plus Costco fixes flat tires for free.

I asked at my Costco a while back and they said no problem. I think there was like a $9/tire charge.

Seems like whenever this type question is posed, almost inevitably, you will get every answer possible. From "yes" to "no" and everything else in between. You are then right back where you started.

Checking the possibility and cost of having them special ordered seems the most plausible.

Plus you don't have to deal with the attitudes of most Costco employees I've met. That's worth a few bucks not having to give them any more of my money!

I don't think so. You can go to any gas stations that has a tire mount machine and it would probably cost you $20 each tire for mount and balance.

dwit said:

<< Seems like whenever this type question is posed, almost inevitably, you will get every answer possible. From "yes" to "no" and everything else in between. You are then right back where you started.
>>

the lesson is that the OP should have just called costco and ask

I brought in tires I bought at TireRack. No problem, I think it was $10/tire.

If you buy the tires at Costco, they have lifetime free tire rotation every 7500 miles.

I've had tires from TireRack mounted at Costco twice. $9 a tire for mounting and balancing, $1 a tire for disposal.

Yes, they will mount your tires(not for free though). They can also order any tire you want' just ask the rep in the tire center.

I've had tires from TireRack mounted at Costco twice. $9 a tire for mounting and balancing, $1 a tire for disposal.

That's about what places that sell tires charge to have them balanced. Does Costco charge even less if you buy the tires from them?

Mounting, balancing, valve stem and road hazard are included in costco's tire prices so there is no additional charge for these services with costco tires.

Costco will not moount but rotate/balance any tires for $16.
Pep boys have good deals on tires.

Costco will not mount but will rotate/balance any tires on you auto for $16. Pep boys have good deal on tires.

larrymoencurly said:

<< I've had tires from TireRack mounted at Costco twice. $9 a tire for mounting and balancing, $1 a tire for disposal.

That's about what places that sell tires charge to have them balanced. Does Costco charge even less if you buy the tires from them?
>>

I think it's included in the price if you buy the tires there....not 100% sure though.

Pretty much any Costco I have ever asked this question has given me a consistent answer. Yes, they will mount it for the $9/tire fee but it obviously won't include the "Free Road Hazard" guarantee.

On a side note, you might want to consider other options for mounting. I purchased a set of Mich Pilot Sports at Costco and dropped a siginificant chunk of change. Result: steering vibration to the point that I wanted to throw the tires back at Costco. Fortunately, my BMW dealership spotted the problem during a test-drive for a unrelated issue and fixed the problem but mounting the tires properly. I couldn't believe that with the machines available today, Costco could have botched a tire-mounting job. Almost makes me want to tell you, go to a REAL tire place. I know, I know, next time I need new tires, I will again be a sucker for prices and go back to Costco but I am still unhappy that they botched up such an elementary job. From reading up on other message boards, it appears that it is all too common to see botches tire mount jobs at Costco. The most common botch-up is scratched rims. Look long and hard at your rims if you have expensive rims.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014