• filter:
  • 1 234514
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi,
I saved a lot of money in Fatwallet, and this is the time to repay Fatwallet folks.

This thread is divided into 3 sections:
1. Rude Customer Service Representative (CSR), Manager or Bad Services
2. Never-come Rebates
3. Defective Product & Warranty Issue

UPDATE: 6/22/09
updated FTC complaint form link
removed the out-dated email of Dateline NBC's Chief Consumer Correspondent Lea Thompson, I can't find the new one online. Someone can send me the new one if they know it.
updated BBB form link
removed KRON 4 Contact4 Consumer Volunteers because it is no longer available.

UPDATE: 5/16/04
added FCC complaint form (thanks to zxz022000)
added FTC complaint form
added Planetfeedback complaint form (thanks to kirbydog)
added Ripoffreport complaint form (thanks to karmablues)
added more detail on finding Attorneys General contact info

UPDATE: 9/22/04
added KRON 4 Contact4 Consumer Volunteers phone #

UPDATE: 10/02/04
added Department Of Consumer Affairs online complaint form (thanks to bamx2)
added Clark Howard radio show (thanks to bamx2)

I compiled a list of methods to file complaints for FREE online in the MOST EFFICIENT way. It saves you time, stamps, envelopes, letters and phone calls, and most importantly it is FREE. Most companies will take you VERY seriously after they receive complaints from agencies, your problem will be most likely solved quickly.

Please post your comment to keep this thread alive. You are welcomed to post your own ideas and experience of filing complaints, and also your bad experience with the companies and its employees. I will update the thread and recompile updated list whenever I have time.

The following are the sections:

1. Rude Customer Service Representative (CSR), Manager or Bad Services:

Most CSRs are nice, but there are always some bad apples in a company.

Many CSRs are required to say their first names at the beginning; remember it or write it down because they may refuse to give you their first name or transfer you to a supervisor upon your request when they think that you may complain to their supervisors. Then later you can call back with the CSR's name to complain to their supervisors.

But why waste your time arguing with that rude CSR for half an hour, when you can get the company or supervisor to do it for you and write him/her up with a bad record and even fire him/her?

The best way is to send complaint to Better Business Bureau with the rude CSR's name. Click
here for Better Business Bureau's complaint form. It is FREE, take you less than 5 minutes. No phone calls, no letters, no stamps. Everything is done electronicly. This is the best way to get the company to take your complaint seriously because your complaint will be on company's public records and BBB will forward your complaint to the company too. If the company doesn't resolve it, your complaint will stay on their records for public to see, which is exactly what the company doesn't want. You may be even able to get the company to have discipline action against the rude CSR and a written apology from the company regarding to the incident just because of this.

Same thing applies to rude managers too, the managers should know better.

A company with a bad BBB record is much more likely to lose a fight with your credit card company in a chargeback situation.

Click here for California Department of Consumer Affairs online complaint form. You can find other states' easily online.

Click here for FTC Consumer Complaint Online Form.

Click here to file a complaint online with the FCC (specially for wireless and wireline telecommunications issues, cable, broadcasting and telecommunications accessibility issues, but not limited to those).

2. Never-come Rebates:

When you call the company asking for never-come rebate checks, they may make all kinds of excuses to make you believe that you are disqualified for the rebate checks when you are in fact qualified and follow every instructions on rebate form. For examples, the excuses can be missing upc, postmark date, exceeding the six months redemption period, etc. Sometimes they just flat out refuse to pay you no matter how many time you call.

Note: MUST remember to keep copies of all your rebate forms, upc, etc.

a. solution #1:

Send complaint to Better Business Bureau. Click
here for Better Business Bureau's complaint form. Yes, this is the magic link. I tried this several times before and the rebate checks just come without asking. The funny thing is that people waste so much time and phone calls arguing with different CSRs and supervisors for their never-come rebates; and then boom, rebate checks just come without asking right after they file the complaints. A company with a bad BBB record is much more likely to lose a fight with your credit card company in a chargeback situation.

Click here for California Department of Consumer Affairs online complaint form. You can find other states' easily online.

Click here for FTC Consumer Complaint Online Form.

Click here to file a complaint online with the FCC (specially for wireless and wireline telecommunications issues, cable, broadcasting and telecommunications accessibility issues, but not limited to those).

Additional sites for filing complaints:

Click here to file complaints to Plantfeedback.com.

Click here to file complaints to Ripoffreport.com.

b. solution #2 (do #1 first):

Send complaint to your state's Attorneys General's office. Go to your state's website and find the fax # or address of the office. Click here for National Association of Attorneys General, then pick your own state there and find their fax & phone # and address.

Mail or fax the complaints with copies of your rebate forms, receipt and UPC. If the company repeats the offense enough, Attorney General will investigate. And the company will change its policy when it realizes that it is under investigation.

c. solution #3 (do #1 first):

Bad companies are always afraid of the media. So use it.

Call KRON 4 Contact4 Consumer Volunteers, 11am to 1 pm pacific time, M-F @ (800)414-5766. This service is provided by Channel 4 BayArea News Station. They will represent you to deal with the company, bad companies will be most likely give in to your request because they are afraid of bad publicity. I think it works for the whole United States, or your local area's news stations may have similar service.

Click here for email to NBC Channel 3 or 11 News Consumer Alert Team to send your complaints and stories about how you never receive your rebate check from the company.

Click here for NBC Channel 10 News Consumer Alert Complaints Form.

You should be able to find links of other NBC News Channels' Consumer Alert Complaints Forms or email addresses easily (for examples, if your NBC is on channel 99, just try www.nbc99.com and find the webpage or email for Consumer Alert.

Go to Clark Howard radio show website and contact them, and they may be able to represent you and help you to deal with your problems.

3. Defective Product & Warranty Issue:

Sometimes, companies refuse to exchange or send replacements to replace the defective products when you are still within warranty period. They insist that their product is not defective or the product is being abused by you when it is not.

Again,
a. solution #1:

Refer to section 2.a. above.

b. solution #2 (do #1 first):

Refer to section 2.b. above.

c. solution #3 (do #1 first):

Refer to section 2.c. above.

You are welcomed to post your own ideas for filing complaints. I will update the thread and recompile updated list whenever I have time.

Have a nice day.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I live in Tucumcari.NM. Channel 10 sound goes off all the time picture stays on.What can I do to have this corrected

rseguin (Dec. 06, 2011 @ 4:24p) |

Thanks a lot for this article. it solved my Saveology.com rebate issue which was pending for a year. Thanks again.

avi20072008 (Mar. 11, 2013 @ 6:25p) |

Amazing,
informative,helpful,reasonable,perfect thread.
Don't waste time with the CSR.
One can file complain at BBB easily,... (more)

OmidKanani (Apr. 15, 2013 @ 5:54a) |

Discussion on how to get the attention of the Corporate Office here

CA procedure for filing in small claims court
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/checklist.htm

USPS Mail Fraud Complaint (originaly posted by FW10001)

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
nice post! Thanks!

rated:
good stuff... BBB is usually pretty efficient.

rated:
Very well said, and nice post, thankssss OP>

rated:
nice job

rated:
Very helpful .
A++++++++

rated:
thats what happened to the samsung 15inch LCD monitor i bought 2 years ago. I will never buy another samsung again due to them saying that i mailed in the wrong upc code and then when i mailed it in, they said it was past the rebate offer even though they said i had 10 days extension to mail it in on the letter they sent to me. for those of you that hate the New rochelle NY rebate center, i happen to get all mine, although i once had to call them for my 3 rebates of 20 each (received it within a month), the others came by itself without me calling them.

rated:
just some supplement:

if you have some problems with the telecom service provider, file a complaint on FCC. sometimes for these kind of problems, BBB may not help you.

rated:
thanks OP

very nice compilation

i just hope people don't abuse it and start reporting lame issues

rated:
Thanks DealMaker, for all the work. Sometimes just looking for these links make the complaint not worth filing, but now, the form is just one click away!
I'm considering a complaint against Fry's because I purchased a coleman flashlight with a $20 rebate and haven't been able to contact anyone regarding this. Is Fry's a lost cause?

rated:
Thanks for the post.

You can write about good, bad and otherwise via Planet Feedback. I have received a fair amount of replies this way.

rated:
Excellent and helpful!!!!

rated:
salehdidit said: good stuff... BBB is usually pretty efficient.

I agree. They're very quick to help you out.

rated:
Thank you so much for this thread! There is indeed proof in numbers and therefore...don't be taken advantage of by someone who gives you bad customer service. Complain, report and receive the respectful, courteous, and fair treatment that you deserve!!!

I've filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau before and believe me, they work. A company with a bad BBB record is much more likely to lose a fight with your credit card company in a chargeback situation. A company with a bad BBB record is less likely to be courteous and honest with their customers. A company with a horrible BBB record will, basically, rip you off. So be smart and run a BBB check on a company before a major purchase or service of any kind. Believe me, if you make a bad choice (and pick a company that has complaint after complaint, all documented for YOUR protection by the BBB) it could cost you more than money. It could cost you peace of mind and hours of lost time.

rated:
Thanks, OP!

rated:
Thanks OP, great post!

Another good site is ripoffreport.com here

File a complaint here (requires registration)

rated:
Great! just file a complaint.

MAKE THIS THREAD OFFICIAL!

rated:
Thanks, if I don't get my rebate from office max within the next week, I'm going to file a complaint.

rated:
jimmyt7 said --- I will never buy another samsung again due to them saying that i mailed in the wrong upc code and then when i mailed it in,

IMHO Samsung offers 'more bang for your buck' than most other electronics manu's.
Don't let the stupidity of some min wage doofus keep you from any deals!
Got to small claims court if you must.....win big!

I agree "MAKE THIS THREAD OFFICIAL" Good idea!

rated:
thanks good post

rated:
beautiful topic. thanks moneymaker. OOPS. dealmaker. sorry. too much reading the darn clay chip thread.

rated:
Yep, good stuff. Especially BBB. I have wrangled >60 out of MCI and forced AT&T to call me (higher ranking person then a CSR at least ) because of BBB filings. Also, be aware that there are online forms for complaining to the FCC, when appropriate (don't have the link at the moment..)

rated:
awesome post!

rated:
Sweet post...I never knew that you could file complaints to the BBB online until now, lol.
It's always great to learn something useful everyday...

rated:
Syphon said: Thanks, if I don't get my rebate from office max within the next week, I'm going to file a complaint.

Make sure you call OfficeMax rebate line first. Most of the time with these rebates, its a game, you just call in, and they approve them. I've experienced this alot with Staples rebates, and other rebates processed by Rebateshq.com If you send out 10 rebates, 6 of them, get checks out. And deny 3-4 of them get denied with a postcard saying UPC was missing, or invalid dates, some other bogus line to get out of paying. Then, if you call in, they have a magic line. "I see, it appears your rebate was denied, because of xxxxxx BUT, Because your an important customer, we'll approve your rebate, and it will be mailed out within the next 2-4 weeks."

After sending out over 300 rebates to date, I know how these stupid rebate houses screw over customers, and they usually dont give you an trouble if you call in.

Trouble is, the poor losers who dont call, never get their rebate. The rebate houses are obviously doing this illegally, someone should really nail them, but who's gonna do it. Not me.. so, I just make that phone call everytime.

rated:
Here's what happened to my omax rebate:
I purchased two wireless microsoft products, a usb adapter and a notebook adapter. Sent both in with respective UPC codes and one got rejected. I walked into office max to complain and they had a form I had to fill out regarding the steps I had taken to resolve the issue. including emailing, calling, resubmitting, etc...
I emailed complaint and they said they would fix but nothing happened. I called but the complaint number puts you on hold for 3 hours and then disconnects at 5PM (NOT exaggerating). I resubmitted 3 times by mail and fax (once per month).
I kept records of each email, fax and resubmission, with dates.
I walked back in to the OfficeMax with the form filled out and all copies. Asst. manager tried to get me to submit the complaint to the manager but mentioned that he had stacks of over 100 rejected rebates. I said "no, I need to resolve this issue now because I cannot shop here again until I receive this rebate". She gave me $10 from the cash register. Rebate fulfilled 7 months later.

rated:
nice, thanks

rated:
big thanks to the op for the superb job

rated:
I would claim a partial repost here. But this post has many things the other post doesn't. So it's all good. Should merge the two posts into one though... That would be better.

Thanks OP for some new information.

rated:
Great post.
I've filed more than 10 complaints online at BBB and I won every single one of them. This method is so effective that I simply don't waste time arguing with CSR anymore.
However, when filing complaint, you need to show that you've spent *some* effort trying to resolve the matter with the company directly. You'll need to write down 1 or 2 date(s) when you called the company. So what I've done was simply spent a couple minutes on the phone with CSR. Then call back again after 1 week if the matter is still not resolved. I'll hang up if they put me on hold for more than 5 minutes coz I know I am gonna win at the end.

rated:
Very nice, i suggest you add a link to The Official "Official Thread" Thread and have them link to here.

Would also be super if there were links on the PROPER steps to make sure you have followed the correct procedures to file your rebates correctly.

rated:
Good job!

I filed a complaint thru BBB once for Staples. Now I am in their blacklist.

rated:
OOS, Good deal though

rated:
Very informative. Thanks, OP.

rated:
matrixgoodies said: OOS, Good deal though

rated:
There is a forum for tracking and bit-chin about rebate procesing ...

Rebate Tracking Forum

L8R

@shley

rated:
albrandwood said: There is a forum for tracking and bit-chin about rebate procesing ...

Rebate Tracking Forum

L8R

@shley

Why does it belong to rebate processing forum? Rebate is only one of sections in the thread. Please ask mod to move it back to hot deal forum.

rated:
hqh51 said: I would claim a partial repost here. But this post has many things the other post doesn't. So it's all good. Should merge the two posts into one though... That would be better.

Thanks OP for some new information.

That thread is only for rebate. This thread is the master thread for filing all kinds of complaints, not just for rebate.

Many of the stuff in that thread are overkill. Regular people won't put such an effort, e.g. spend money on postal delivery confirmation & bubble wrap envelopes, track down CEO's contact info, record phone conversation, etc.

Most likely, you will get what you want right after you file complaints to Better Business Bureau, attorney general & TV News Stations & media.

rated:
OP did a good work.
It's very helpful! thanks a lot!
FW moved this post from hot deal to here (where?), not good IMO.

Skipping 489 Messages...
rated:
Amazing,
informative,helpful,reasonable,perfect thread.
Don't waste time with the CSR.
One can file complain at BBB easily, in case bluffing while showing & providing nothing at the end.
Every legal complain will be resolved surely.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014