• 139 40 41424353
  • Page
  • Text Only
sager66 said: blahbooboo2 said: Why are the foams from FoamByMail/FoamFactory so much cheaper from their eBay store as from their own web store?
Possibly different products . . check if eBay item density is per 2 cubic feet or one cubic foot?

It is the same.
The other place foambymail_usa is a scam place... this is the real seller foambymail

I ordered from the Mrs.Foam on eBay 2 x 1" 4.5lb density queen memory foam pads.
I figured for $42 delivered it was worth a shot to see if I can make this cheaperpedic work for me (I gave up a year ago as it was just too darn firm and I didn't like the prices for additional foam)

I will report back

Still...why the discrepancy in prices?

From eBay, Foambymail sells 3" Queen Memory Foam Mattress Pad 5.3LB / 5.5LB for $159. While from their site, it's $292.

I'm looking to buy some eggcrate for bedding, too bad they're not advertising it on eBay.

tdonline said: Still...why the discrepancy in prices?

From eBay, Foambymail sells 3" Queen Memory Foam Mattress Pad 5.3LB / 5.5LB for $159. While from their site, it's $292.

I'm looking to buy some eggcrate for bedding, too bad they're not advertising it on eBay.

Agreed. Something is definitely weird.
I emailed them about the eggcrate foam yesterday , haven't heard back.
The names listed at their eBay store I think are the names of the reps from the official web site.
I decided to just get the mrs.foam as it was much cheaper and I think will suit my needs.

Just heard from Carlo of foambymail via eBay. He said they only sell the egg crate foam from their web site and not via eBay.

blahbooboo2 said: Just heard from Carlo of foambymail via eBay. He said they only sell the egg crate foam from their web site and not via eBay.

what do you use the egg crate for?

warlord001 said: blahbooboo2 said: Just heard from Carlo of foambymail via eBay. He said they only sell the egg crate foam from their web site and not via eBay.

what do you use the egg crate for?

Extra cushioning between jcpenny and memory foam layers.
I am not using it though as I found that cheap memory foam on eBay.

Looking for the post of the FW'er who had neck surgery. I'm in the same boat and would like to talk to them about foam choices. Thanks!

has anyone had a bad experience with eBay sellers Bed-Dr or Foambymail?

But also interested in why Sensus is so high on the list for some people....is it really worth double the cost?
interesting info on a foamusa auction...takes bed-dr cloud9 out of the equation for me

FACTS ABOUT E-BAY MEMORY FOAM SCAMS TO WATCH OUT FOR !

FACT # 1. ALL of the auctions running using numbers like 2.5, 3.0, 3.3, 3.5, 4.0, 4.2, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0 without SPECIFICALLY identifying this number as density are simply MISREPRESENTATIONS. These numbers are just super imposed over pictures and mentioned in auctions but DO NOT describe density, thickness or anything else. It is simply the placing of a totally IRRELEVANT number on a picture to mis-lead the unsuspecting buyer that this refers to density.

FACT # 2. MANY other auctions use these numbers but are basing the density on TWO cubic feet which is NOT the industry standard. (This is something they have made up to SCAM YOU !! ). The industry standard is 1 cubic foot. For example this means buying a 5lb foam pad using the phony 2 cubic method means you are ACTUALLY buying 2 1/2 lb density foam.

FACT # 3. NEARLY HALF of the E-bay stores and 3/4 of the listings are being run by ONE person claiming to be all of these different operations operating out of Tennessee, Mississippi and other fictitious locations. Why all the secrecy ? They must have something to hide. ( Like the truth.). It doesn't matter from which one you buy, they are ALL the same user using different user id's having these items DROP SHIPPED to the customer. These stores each have several hundred listings and it is the same stuff with different supposed "Trade names" and "secret patented" formulas used to trick the buyer into thinking it is something or someone different. They compete against themselves. If you eliminated all the duplicity there would only be 400 listings or so. Not two to three thousand ! This whole scheme is a version of price fixing.

FACT # 4. There are only THREE manufacturers of Visco Memory foams in the entire UNITED STATES which sell directly to the consumer. NONE OF THEM SELL ON eBay and none of the three sell to distributors. Any seller on eBay claiming to MAKE their own foam is bold face lying. The truth is it requires a 50 million dollar investment in pouring equipment, storage tanks, mixing vats, pouring heads, conveyors , saws, engineers and chemists to make this stuff. Come on folks think about it. Do you really think these multi-million dollar corporations are going to devalue and mismark there own product lines and "Give the foam away" on E-bay ? If you question this, simply contact the Polyurethane Foam Association (PFA.org ) send them an Email and verify that these things are correct.

FACT # 5. NONE of the memory foam manufacturers in the UNITED STATES are pouring anything greater than a 5 pound density foam.

FACT # 6. The Chinese made memory foams which are being sold now for unbelievably low prices (despite sellers claims it is made in the U.S. How are you going to prove it ? ) CANNOT EVEN BE MANUFACTURED in the United States for that price much less be retailed for that. We get calls every week from the Chinese merchants wanting us to buy their product in bulk.

It is our understanding from reliable sources who test foam that this Chinese made junk has very little visco elastic properties to it and begins to BREAK down after only two flexes on testing equipment.

TO SUM UP: If the density is not specifically mentioned, beware, you are about to buy the lowest quality and cheapest junk around. If the foam is at a ridiculously low price your are either getting ripped off or its the junk from China. If anyone on E-Bay makes the claim THEY MAKE their own. This is simply a lie.

We hope this information has been helpful to you. We would encourage all other GOOD and HONEST E-bayers to complain to E-Bay's Trust and Safety department as well as the Federal Trade Commission if you have already been ripped off, about to be ripped off or agree with our findings and would like to see the marketplace cleaned up. We can't do it alone. It will take all of us.

I pulled my trigger when JCPenny had their sale about 10 days ago. My cheapurpedic is composed of 1)JCPenny 5" very firm queen sized topper, 2)3", 5.3lb density queen sized memory foam from foambymail, 3)9" vinyl zippered cover for mattress/boxspring form JCPenny.

I think I had one of worst experiences. First, as I wrote before, the jcpenny topper smelt like a rotten fish. Second, foambymail sent me 4lb density pad, not 5.3lb density one. Third, the vinyl cover was torn off when it was delivered. Last, but the most, the night on my cheapurpedic was the WORST night to my back. I sill have some of those pains due to the night. But, just for your information, I usually sleep on the firmest mattress. So, those who like soft~moderately firm mattress, it might be ok.

One good news is the foambymail guy said he would give me the full refund including return shipping, so except one uncomfortable night, I lost nothing.

yourbird said: I pulled my trigger when JCPenny had their sale about 10 days ago. My cheapurpedic is composed of 1)JCPenny 5" very firm queen sized topper, 2)3", 5.3lb density queen sized memory foam from foambymail, 3)9" vinyl zippered cover for mattress/boxspring form JCPenny.

I think I had one of worst experiences. First, as I wrote before, the jcpenny topper smelt like a rotten fish. Second, foambymail sent me 4lb density pad, not 5.3lb density one. Third, the vinyl cover was torn off when it was delivered. Last, but the most, the night on my cheapurpedic was the WORST night to my back. I sill have some of those pains due to the night. But, just for your information, I usually sleep on the firmest mattress. So, those who like soft~moderately firm mattress, it might be ok.

One good news is the foambymail guy said he would give me the full refund including return shipping, so except one uncomfortable night, I lost nothing.

Sounds like you should have consulted a professional. Did you at least ever try a tempurpedic before building one? If you like VERY firm beds, then you definitely should NOT use foam. In fact, how about you just put a blanket down on the floor and make the ultimate cheaperpedic! LOL

tdonline said: I went and took a look, if I buy a some more slats and push them tight, I would pretty much have a solid surface. So I think that takes care of the boxspring question.

You know I just bought a mem foam mattress online and I have an ikea bed frame and before I had the same frame with a sultan inner spring mattress. I had the lade supporting my previous inner spring mattress, so when I got the memory foam unit I just bought another lade. I will tell you though my previous lade is too weak no and I kinda sink a little on the memory foam mattress on one half of the bed. The other half is much more firm, but when I take th mattress off and press down on the wood on the top half it IS stronger but I'm not sure if it is strong enough.

Would plywood be anymore firm? I mean I'll put anything under there just as long as it's strong and durable.

FOAMBYMAIL-

I just bought my THIRD foambymail mattress. The first one I bought through their website before the foam prices jumped(year ago), the last two off of the eBay storefront for friends. All three beds were full beds with the HD36 base and 3" 5.5 memory foam. They label it as "8" FULL MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS 5.3LB 5.5LB w/2 Pilo 3+5" All 3 mattresses are exactly the same weight, size, and comfort. I highly recommend them as a one-stop shop for a very reasonably priced memory foam mattress.

Well, getting closer. My existing setting was too firm for me:

5" X-tra firm JCPenny (bottom)
3" Foambymail 4.5lb density foam (middle)

I added a 2" 4lbs ILD 13" from Mrs.Foam on eBay to the top of the stack and it really helped but not enough. . it's so close...

Would adding a 2.5" egg crate foam from foambymail (36ILD their medium) between the 3" and 5" layers help to make this softer? Or, should I just get 2-3" more from Mrs.Foam to add on top? Part of the problem I think is I am 215lbs so I compress the comfort layers much more than most people.

What is strange is how much more memory the Mrs.Foam has compared to the Foambymail. The foambymail seems more spongy type foam, mrs.foam works like the commercials with the handprint.

blahbooboo2 said: Well, getting closer. My existing setting was too firm for me:

I added a 2" 4lbs ILD 13" from Mrs.Foam on eBay to the top of the stack and it really helped but not enough. . it's so close...

Would adding a 2.5" egg crate foam from foambymail (36ILD their medium) between the 3" and 5" layers help to make this softer? Or, should I just get 2-3" more from Mrs.Foam to add on top? Part of the problem I think is I am 215lbs so I compress the comfort layers much more than most people.

What is strange is how much more memory the Mrs.Foam has compared to the Foambymail. The foambymail seems more spongy type foam, mrs.foam works like the commercials with the handprint.

Its a lower density memory foam, takes longer for it to reform.

You know I just bought a mem foam mattress online and I have an ikea bed frame and before I had the same frame with a sultan inner spring mattress. I had the lade supporting my previous inner spring mattress, so when I got the memory foam unit I just bought another lade. I will tell you though my previous lade is too weak no and I kinda sink a little on the memory foam mattress on one half of the bed. The other half is much more firm, but when I take th mattress off and press down on the wood on the top half it IS stronger but I'm not sure if it is strong enough.

Would plywood be anymore firm? I mean I'll put anything under there just as long as it's strong and durable.

What is a lade? I have slats that spread out down the Malm frame so there is spacing btw each slat. I ordered the firmest foam mattress, not MEMORY foam, and will place it on my mattress and top off with egg crate. I prefer really firm surfaces and the memory foam didn't seem appealing. If the mattress doesn't help, I'll get rid of it on Craigslist and buy additional slats from Ikea. I'll put the foam mattress directly on the solid surface made up of slats pushed tight.

CptSavAHo said: blahbooboo2 said: Well, getting closer. My existing setting was too firm for me:

Its a lower density memory foam, takes longer for it to reform.

Is that the ILD rather than the density?

Prncsnyc,

I haven't dealt with Foambymail but I did buy the 13" Cloud9 mattress from BedDr about a month or two ago. We didn't have any problems with them and we are satisified with out mattress. Infact, we found the foam to be quality and we think we got the buy of the year. Admittedly, we did end up doing some tweeking to get the mattress to fit for our personal likes, but at the prices they sell over eBay, we figured we could afford to. Hope this helps.

gootziecat

tdonline said:

What is a lade? I have slats that spread out down the Malm frame so there is spacing btw each slat. I ordered the firmest foam mattress, not MEMORY foam, and will place it on my mattress and top off with egg crate. I prefer really firm surfaces and the memory foam didn't seem appealing. If the mattress doesn't help, I'll get rid of it on Craigslist and buy additional slats from Ikea. I'll put the foam mattress directly on the solid surface made up of slats pushed tight.

A lade is pretty much what you described, just pieces of wood that have spaces in between them, designed to support your box spring/mattress. I only ask about the wood because they say that memory foam needs to be on a completely flat surface.

I think the slats I bought are not featured in the Ikea site. Mine do fold out to a flat surface and seem to be sturdy. To get rid of space inbetween, I can push slats closer and add another set of slats.

Bottoming out.

I think the problem I have is that I sink through my comfort layers ( 4.5lb 3" memory foam and 2" of 13ILD ~3-4lbs) and end up sleeping on the JCPenny foam which is so uncomfortable! So initially its comfortable but I quickly sink through the comfort layers and end up on the terrible JCPenny layer.

Would adding 2.5" ILD 36 EGGCRATE foam between the 5" base and the memory foam soften the mattress more so I don't bottom out onto the JCPenny layer?

Thanks!

Speaking of bottoming out I just purchased an 8in mattress from foam source and the top 3" sensus layer completely compresses and bottoms out and I can feel the lower layers. The CS guy said this is normal, which I call complete bullsh|t on. The foam is inconsistent, and is more firm on the outside then in the middle, where I spend most of my time sleeping. Does anyone else has a similiar issue with their memory foam?

sephiro500 said: Speaking of bottoming out I just purchased an 8in mattress from foam source and the top 3" sensus layer completely compresses and bottoms out and I can feel the lower layers. The CS guy said this is normal, which I call complete bullsh|t on. The foam is inconsistent, and is more firm on the outside then in the middle, where I spend most of my time sleeping. Does anyone else has a similar issue with their memory foam?

Nice to hear I am not the only one. I don't get how this doesn't happen to more people.
Oh, it is B*llsh*t what that guy said. You are not supposed to feel the "support" layer. That's why it is called the "support" layer. Many many articles I have read all say that you should not feel the support layer. The support layer does transmit its properties to the comfort layer, but you should not feel it directly.

If you read a post a few pages back a person said when on his side he bottoms out as well. I think this happens a lot and most people don't realize that it shouldn't be this way.

I weigh 215lbs, I wonder if us larger people really need like 6" of comfort layers?

That's what I said a long time ago in this thread, that the support layers are also important. I'm 120lb, and I can definitely feel what's underneath a 3" memory foam (which I don't really use).

I think you need better support layer(s), not 6" comfort layers.

memoryfoam.com has changed a lot since I made my purchase there, but it still has good examples about how the layers should be structured.

sephiro500 said: Speaking of bottoming out I just purchased an 8in mattress from foam source and the top 3" sensus layer completely compresses and bottoms out and I can feel the lower layers. The CS guy said this is normal, which I call complete bullsh|t on. The foam is inconsistent, and is more firm on the outside then in the middle, where I spend most of my time sleeping. Does anyone else has a similiar issue with their memory foam?

Which company or website was this? We really do need to keep a list going, the foam mattress biz seems to have its share of shady.

I made my purchase from foamsource.com and it's suppose to be good quality foam in there:

# op: 3" of Sensus foam by Foam Ex
# Mid/Top: 1" of 24 ILD Reflex
# Mid/Bottom: 3" of 35 ILD Resilitex
# Bottom: 1" of 55 ILD Reflex

it's all brand names and Foamex is a good company. I'm still disappointed in that IMHO I sink WAY too much on this bed, btw I'm 6' 2" 190. When I went to the mattress store I really loved the tempur pedic classic bed, now on that bed I probably could have beat it with a baseball bat and it still wouldn't give in as much as this bed does. Memory foam is suppose to slowly give in over time with pressure/heat, this bed just sinks in initially and doesn't change in any way at all. How the fudge is THIS memory foam!?

This bed felt great the first 3 nights sleeping on it after that the top layer started to compress more and more. I ordered the mattress with the layers not laminated together so I could swap out foam to customize it more. I took all of the layers out and tested for consistency, and the top layer is much less firm and 'accomidating' in the middle third. The other layers all work fine.

This is my third internet purchase, got ripped off the first two times and I thought this would be the answer. Having already spent about 900 dollars I might still consider the tempur pedic. What I don't like about the tempur pedic is you HAVE to buy their 'foundation' or you don't get a warranty, they also charge sales tax on their website. So it would cost me about 1500 dollars just for a freakin bed.

Edit: Now for the memory foam pros out there I thought sensus foam was trademark pink? If it isn't pink does that mean it can't be sensus?

sephiro500 said: I made my purchase from foamsource.com and it's suppose to be good quality foam in there:

# op: 3" of Sensus foam by Foam Ex
# Mid/Top: 1" of 24 ILD Reflex
# Mid/Bottom: 3" of 35 ILD Resilitex
# Bottom: 1" of 55 ILD Reflex

it's all brand names and Foamex is a good company. I'm still disappointed in that IMHO I sink WAY too much on this bed, btw I'm 6' 2" 190. When I went to the mattress store I really loved the tempur pedic classic bed, now on that bed I probably could have beat it with a baseball bat and it still wouldn't give in as much as this bed does. Memory foam is suppose to slowly give in over time with pressure/heat, this bed just sinks in initially and doesn't change in any way at all. How the fudge is THIS memory foam!?

This bed felt great the first 3 nights sleeping on it after that the top layer started to compress more and more. I ordered the mattress with the layers not laminated together so I could swap out foam to customize it more. I took all of the layers out and tested for consistency, and the top layer is much less firm and 'accomidating' in the middle third. The other layers all work fine.

This is my third internet purchase, got ripped off the first two times and I thought this would be the answer. Having already spent about 900 dollars I might still consider the tempur pedic. What I don't like about the tempur pedic is you HAVE to buy their 'foundation' or you don't get a warranty, they also charge sales tax on their website. So it would cost me about 1500 dollars just for a freakin bed.

Edit: Now for the memory foam pros out there I thought sensus foam was trademark pink? If it isn't pink does that mean it can't be sensus?

FYI. You did not duplicate the layers of a Tempur Classic Bed. That is part of the problem.
See the Tempur build by clicking on the bed at this link: http://www.tempurpedic.com/TempurCMSVB/sleepsystems/classic/

Ok I'm a little confused how is that link suppose to explain what the tempur pedic is made of? All it says is, medium comfort layer, blah blah, tempur pedic support layer. AFAIK you can't just buy tempur pedic foam, there aren't any specs or anything but marketing gibberish on that site.

I finally just took the dive to buy a topper. I have read and read and researched and researched, and I think it boils down to really trying it out which kind of sucks. I got a Serta memory foam topper 4" with 4lb density. I'll let everyone know when it comes.

Sorry, I tried searching and this thread is massive...

What is the formula to figure out the weight of a foam mattress? I'm expecting delivery tomorrow and I want to make sure I got what I ordered.

I got this
* DENSITY: 1.8 PCF
* COMPRESSION: 50 LBS
* FIRM
* VERY RESILIENT
* TECH SPECS

4 inches thick, 60X80

tdonline said: Sorry, I tried searching and this thread is massive...

What is the formula to figure out the weight of a foam mattress? I'm expecting delivery tomorrow and I want to make sure I got what I ordered.

I got this
* DENSITY: 1.8 PCF
* COMPRESSION: 50 LBS
* FIRM
* VERY RESILIENT
* TECH SPECS

4 inches thick, 60X80

use this formula to figure out the weight of the pad.

I'm guessing "PCF" in your post is pounds cubic foot. so in your case: [(60x80x4)/1728)] x 1.8 = 20lbs.

I received the mattress and eggcrate. 43 pounds total. Foam Factory even sent the cut bits too...guess i can make pillows and cushions out of them?

I have them sitting on my innerspring mattress now. Will report back on whether or not this setup works for me, i.e. is firm enough. If works out well, I'll be listing the innerspring mattress on craigslist, yay.

gootziecat said: Prncsnyc,

I haven't dealt with Foambymail but I did buy the 13" Cloud9 mattress from BedDr about a month or two ago. We didn't have any problems with them and we are satisified with out mattress. Infact, we found the foam to be quality and we think we got the buy of the year. Admittedly, we did end up doing some tweeking to get the mattress to fit for our personal likes, but at the prices they sell over eBay, we figured we could afford to. Hope this helps.

gootziecat

thanks for the report.

We ended up buying a 2 inch 2.5 lb topper from LNT to go on our extra firm JCP base and it sucks. We thought it would just take getting used to but no go. My back pain has stayed the same since building our bed and my boyfriend's has worsened.

So we obviously need something with higher density and/or more inches, right? I am thinking of geting 3 inches of 4lb or 5lb density...would anyone recommend 5" over 4"? Is there any reason to not get 5" since it's the most? I have read a lot of people saying 5" isn't needed...

Prncsnyc,

In my opinion, the 4" would be better than the 3", especially if you are a side sleeper. I would think a 3" might cause you to possibly bottom out into the support more than a 4", or at very least, cause pressure points. More(inches) isn't necessarily better. If you are going with a 5# density, a 5" would be firmer than 4". The more Sensus the firmer it gets, or so I've read. Our 13" mattress has 5" of Sensus. While I am happy with our mattress, it was just a little firmer than we wanted and ended up using some softer foam as a buffer.

gootziecat

gootziecat said: Prncsnyc,

In my opinion, the 4" would be better than the 3", especially if you are a side sleeper. I would think a 3" might cause you to possibly bottom out into the support more than a 4", or at very least, cause pressure points. More(inches) isn't necessarily better. If you are going with a 5# density, a 5" would be firmer than 4". The more Sensus the firmer it gets, or so I've read. Our 13" mattress has 5" of Sensus. While I am happy with our mattress, it was just a little firmer than we wanted and ended up using some softer foam as a buffer.

gootziecat

Gootziecat,

I am a stomach/side sleeper and my boyfriend is a back/side sleeper. I have been reading baout these "pressure points" and really do not understand them. I thought pressure points would be a good thing...in that they relieve pressure..but I guess I am not understanding. So I am wondering, would a 5" 4lb be better or worse than a 3" 5lb?

RE: the 5" extra-firm topper at JCPenneys, has anyone found a good source for similar in California King size (72"x84")?

Thanks for all the info..

OK....I need some help....I'm freaking out.... Just got our Serta memory foam topper. It was vacumn sealed and shipped to us. We unrolled it and it was VERY hard to unroll. It was like the material was "sticking" together. (?) It is not a king size, which is what we ordered. I measured it and it is 71"x66". Also were it was rolled it has ridges. Very thick and deep. It says it can take up to 48 hours, but this topper looks like a piece of **** right now. Anyone out there have any ideas? Should I get on the phone right now, or wait the 48 hours?

WENDIRN said: It says it can take up to 48 hours . . Should I get on the phone right now, or wait the 48 hours?
You're just jerking our chain . . right?

WENDIRN said: We unrolled it and it was VERY hard to unroll.

You should NOT unroll memory foam by force. Let it expand itself.

• Archived From: ForumsDeal Discussion

• 139 40 41424353
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014