• 139 40 41424353
  • Page
  • Text Only
I think the slats I bought are not featured in the Ikea site. Mine do fold out to a flat surface and seem to be sturdy. To get rid of space inbetween, I can push slats closer and add another set of slats.

Bottoming out.

I think the problem I have is that I sink through my comfort layers ( 4.5lb 3" memory foam and 2" of 13ILD ~3-4lbs) and end up sleeping on the JCPenny foam which is so uncomfortable! So initially its comfortable but I quickly sink through the comfort layers and end up on the terrible JCPenny layer.

Would adding 2.5" ILD 36 EGGCRATE foam between the 5" base and the memory foam soften the mattress more so I don't bottom out onto the JCPenny layer?

Thanks!

Speaking of bottoming out I just purchased an 8in mattress from foam source and the top 3" sensus layer completely compresses and bottoms out and I can feel the lower layers. The CS guy said this is normal, which I call complete bullsh|t on. The foam is inconsistent, and is more firm on the outside then in the middle, where I spend most of my time sleeping. Does anyone else has a similiar issue with their memory foam?

sephiro500 said: Speaking of bottoming out I just purchased an 8in mattress from foam source and the top 3" sensus layer completely compresses and bottoms out and I can feel the lower layers. The CS guy said this is normal, which I call complete bullsh|t on. The foam is inconsistent, and is more firm on the outside then in the middle, where I spend most of my time sleeping. Does anyone else has a similar issue with their memory foam?

Nice to hear I am not the only one. I don't get how this doesn't happen to more people.
Oh, it is B*llsh*t what that guy said. You are not supposed to feel the "support" layer. That's why it is called the "support" layer. Many many articles I have read all say that you should not feel the support layer. The support layer does transmit its properties to the comfort layer, but you should not feel it directly.

If you read a post a few pages back a person said when on his side he bottoms out as well. I think this happens a lot and most people don't realize that it shouldn't be this way.

I weigh 215lbs, I wonder if us larger people really need like 6" of comfort layers?

That's what I said a long time ago in this thread, that the support layers are also important. I'm 120lb, and I can definitely feel what's underneath a 3" memory foam (which I don't really use).

I think you need better support layer(s), not 6" comfort layers.

memoryfoam.com has changed a lot since I made my purchase there, but it still has good examples about how the layers should be structured.

sephiro500 said: Speaking of bottoming out I just purchased an 8in mattress from foam source and the top 3" sensus layer completely compresses and bottoms out and I can feel the lower layers. The CS guy said this is normal, which I call complete bullsh|t on. The foam is inconsistent, and is more firm on the outside then in the middle, where I spend most of my time sleeping. Does anyone else has a similiar issue with their memory foam?

Which company or website was this? We really do need to keep a list going, the foam mattress biz seems to have its share of shady.

I made my purchase from foamsource.com and it's suppose to be good quality foam in there:

# op: 3" of Sensus foam by Foam Ex
# Mid/Top: 1" of 24 ILD Reflex
# Mid/Bottom: 3" of 35 ILD Resilitex
# Bottom: 1" of 55 ILD Reflex

it's all brand names and Foamex is a good company. I'm still disappointed in that IMHO I sink WAY too much on this bed, btw I'm 6' 2" 190. When I went to the mattress store I really loved the tempur pedic classic bed, now on that bed I probably could have beat it with a baseball bat and it still wouldn't give in as much as this bed does. Memory foam is suppose to slowly give in over time with pressure/heat, this bed just sinks in initially and doesn't change in any way at all. How the fudge is THIS memory foam!?

This bed felt great the first 3 nights sleeping on it after that the top layer started to compress more and more. I ordered the mattress with the layers not laminated together so I could swap out foam to customize it more. I took all of the layers out and tested for consistency, and the top layer is much less firm and 'accomidating' in the middle third. The other layers all work fine.

This is my third internet purchase, got ripped off the first two times and I thought this would be the answer. Having already spent about 900 dollars I might still consider the tempur pedic. What I don't like about the tempur pedic is you HAVE to buy their 'foundation' or you don't get a warranty, they also charge sales tax on their website. So it would cost me about 1500 dollars just for a freakin bed.

Edit: Now for the memory foam pros out there I thought sensus foam was trademark pink? If it isn't pink does that mean it can't be sensus?

sephiro500 said: I made my purchase from foamsource.com and it's suppose to be good quality foam in there:

# op: 3" of Sensus foam by Foam Ex
# Mid/Top: 1" of 24 ILD Reflex
# Mid/Bottom: 3" of 35 ILD Resilitex
# Bottom: 1" of 55 ILD Reflex

it's all brand names and Foamex is a good company. I'm still disappointed in that IMHO I sink WAY too much on this bed, btw I'm 6' 2" 190. When I went to the mattress store I really loved the tempur pedic classic bed, now on that bed I probably could have beat it with a baseball bat and it still wouldn't give in as much as this bed does. Memory foam is suppose to slowly give in over time with pressure/heat, this bed just sinks in initially and doesn't change in any way at all. How the fudge is THIS memory foam!?

This bed felt great the first 3 nights sleeping on it after that the top layer started to compress more and more. I ordered the mattress with the layers not laminated together so I could swap out foam to customize it more. I took all of the layers out and tested for consistency, and the top layer is much less firm and 'accomidating' in the middle third. The other layers all work fine.

This is my third internet purchase, got ripped off the first two times and I thought this would be the answer. Having already spent about 900 dollars I might still consider the tempur pedic. What I don't like about the tempur pedic is you HAVE to buy their 'foundation' or you don't get a warranty, they also charge sales tax on their website. So it would cost me about 1500 dollars just for a freakin bed.

Edit: Now for the memory foam pros out there I thought sensus foam was trademark pink? If it isn't pink does that mean it can't be sensus?

FYI. You did not duplicate the layers of a Tempur Classic Bed. That is part of the problem.
See the Tempur build by clicking on the bed at this link: http://www.tempurpedic.com/TempurCMSVB/sleepsystems/classic/

Ok I'm a little confused how is that link suppose to explain what the tempur pedic is made of? All it says is, medium comfort layer, blah blah, tempur pedic support layer. AFAIK you can't just buy tempur pedic foam, there aren't any specs or anything but marketing gibberish on that site.

I finally just took the dive to buy a topper. I have read and read and researched and researched, and I think it boils down to really trying it out which kind of sucks. I got a Serta memory foam topper 4" with 4lb density. I'll let everyone know when it comes.

Sorry, I tried searching and this thread is massive...

What is the formula to figure out the weight of a foam mattress? I'm expecting delivery tomorrow and I want to make sure I got what I ordered.

I got this
* DENSITY: 1.8 PCF
* COMPRESSION: 50 LBS
* FIRM
* VERY RESILIENT
* TECH SPECS

4 inches thick, 60X80

tdonline said: Sorry, I tried searching and this thread is massive...

What is the formula to figure out the weight of a foam mattress? I'm expecting delivery tomorrow and I want to make sure I got what I ordered.

I got this
* DENSITY: 1.8 PCF
* COMPRESSION: 50 LBS
* FIRM
* VERY RESILIENT
* TECH SPECS

4 inches thick, 60X80

use this formula to figure out the weight of the pad.

I'm guessing "PCF" in your post is pounds cubic foot. so in your case: [(60x80x4)/1728)] x 1.8 = 20lbs.

I received the mattress and eggcrate. 43 pounds total. Foam Factory even sent the cut bits too...guess i can make pillows and cushions out of them?

I have them sitting on my innerspring mattress now. Will report back on whether or not this setup works for me, i.e. is firm enough. If works out well, I'll be listing the innerspring mattress on craigslist, yay.

gootziecat said: Prncsnyc,

I haven't dealt with Foambymail but I did buy the 13" Cloud9 mattress from BedDr about a month or two ago. We didn't have any problems with them and we are satisified with out mattress. Infact, we found the foam to be quality and we think we got the buy of the year. Admittedly, we did end up doing some tweeking to get the mattress to fit for our personal likes, but at the prices they sell over eBay, we figured we could afford to. Hope this helps.

gootziecat

thanks for the report.

We ended up buying a 2 inch 2.5 lb topper from LNT to go on our extra firm JCP base and it sucks. We thought it would just take getting used to but no go. My back pain has stayed the same since building our bed and my boyfriend's has worsened.

So we obviously need something with higher density and/or more inches, right? I am thinking of geting 3 inches of 4lb or 5lb density...would anyone recommend 5" over 4"? Is there any reason to not get 5" since it's the most? I have read a lot of people saying 5" isn't needed...

Prncsnyc,

In my opinion, the 4" would be better than the 3", especially if you are a side sleeper. I would think a 3" might cause you to possibly bottom out into the support more than a 4", or at very least, cause pressure points. More(inches) isn't necessarily better. If you are going with a 5# density, a 5" would be firmer than 4". The more Sensus the firmer it gets, or so I've read. Our 13" mattress has 5" of Sensus. While I am happy with our mattress, it was just a little firmer than we wanted and ended up using some softer foam as a buffer.

gootziecat

gootziecat said: Prncsnyc,

In my opinion, the 4" would be better than the 3", especially if you are a side sleeper. I would think a 3" might cause you to possibly bottom out into the support more than a 4", or at very least, cause pressure points. More(inches) isn't necessarily better. If you are going with a 5# density, a 5" would be firmer than 4". The more Sensus the firmer it gets, or so I've read. Our 13" mattress has 5" of Sensus. While I am happy with our mattress, it was just a little firmer than we wanted and ended up using some softer foam as a buffer.

gootziecat

Gootziecat,

I am a stomach/side sleeper and my boyfriend is a back/side sleeper. I have been reading baout these "pressure points" and really do not understand them. I thought pressure points would be a good thing...in that they relieve pressure..but I guess I am not understanding. So I am wondering, would a 5" 4lb be better or worse than a 3" 5lb?

RE: the 5" extra-firm topper at JCPenneys, has anyone found a good source for similar in California King size (72"x84")?

Thanks for all the info..

OK....I need some help....I'm freaking out.... Just got our Serta memory foam topper. It was vacumn sealed and shipped to us. We unrolled it and it was VERY hard to unroll. It was like the material was "sticking" together. (?) It is not a king size, which is what we ordered. I measured it and it is 71"x66". Also were it was rolled it has ridges. Very thick and deep. It says it can take up to 48 hours, but this topper looks like a piece of **** right now. Anyone out there have any ideas? Should I get on the phone right now, or wait the 48 hours?

WENDIRN said: It says it can take up to 48 hours . . Should I get on the phone right now, or wait the 48 hours?
You're just jerking our chain . . right?

WENDIRN said: We unrolled it and it was VERY hard to unroll.

You should NOT unroll memory foam by force. Let it expand itself.

Update: Thanks for the help. There were NO directions with the memory foam. This is our first experience with the product. We unrolled it at about 4:30, and over time, it completely fit our bed. We were able to climb in bed at 8:30. Last night was GREAT! I have had brain surgery and C-1 removed, and for almost three years, I wake up several times a night with neck and back pain. NO pain last night or this morning! My kids, 17 and 16 yo boys, asked for one. I bought the Serta 4" with 4lb density. I was hoping to "sink down" more. Any advice on how to achieve that?

Ordered a basic setup today:
5" Xtra firm topper base from JC Penney: $79.99 with free shipping
3" Serta 4lb Memory Foam from Overstock.com, $129.99 -10%off +$2.95s/h = $119.94

Total so far: $199.93+tax
Now going to look for a good mattress cover. Any deal?

kaola said: Ordered a basic setup today:
3" Serta 4lb Memory Foam from Overstock.com, $129.99 -10%off +$2.95s/h = $119.94

I got mine off eBay... soft fabric on top and the bottom has these little bits of plastic to keep it in one place.

It's got a zipper around the whole thing so you don't have to stuff the mattress into the cover, you just lay the bottom out, put the foam on it, then put the top of the cover over the foam and zip it all up.

goofygrin said: kaola said: Ordered a basic setup today:

I got mine off eBay... soft fabric on top and the bottom has these little bits of plastic to keep it in one place.

It's got a zipper around the whole thing so you don't have to stuff the mattress into the cover, you just lay the bottom out, put the foam on it, then put the top of the cover over the foam and zip it all up.

goofygrin, could you please tell me which item did you get from eBay? Thanks!

Well I have had the mattress and eggcrate since last Friday and it's been great! Unlike many here, I just have the rock solid foam, no memory and am using firm eggcrate to allow some give. The setup is solid and doesn't have that springyness that was driving me nuts and giving aches all over. I'm really happy that I came across this thread and learned about foam as an option to the traditional mattress.

3rd mattress order from FoamByMail (eBay listings) arrived today. Rock solid for the third time, at under $400 I wouldn't mess around with anything else. My girlfriend's parents were ecstatic.

Looking at eBay....what dealers/sellers would buyers recommend? THANKS!

WENDIRN said: Looking at eBay....what dealers/sellers would buyers recommend? THANKS!

I had good luck with Bed_Dr. They sell toppers, mattress sets and accessories.

gootziecat

gootziecat said: WENDIRN said: Looking at eBay....what dealers/sellers would buyers recommend? THANKS!

I had good luck with Bed_Dr. They sell toppers, mattress sets and accessories.

gootziecat[/Q

Hey, sorry. I just checked eBay and they don't seem to carry toppers. </blockquote>

Bed_DR uses 3.3, 5.3, etc., but can anyone confirm these are density/lb. measurements and not marketing numbers?

kaola said: goofygrin said: kaola said: Now going to look for a good mattress cover. Any deal?

goofygrin, could you please tell me which item did you get from eBay? Thanks!

The one I got was item number 120034286243 on eBay (just put that number in the search box on eBay).

internetbuy said: Bed_DR uses 3.3, 5.3, etc., but can anyone confirm these are density/lb. measurements and not marketing numbers?

exactly. I e-mailed them weeks ago and never got a reply.

The JC Penney 5" Thick Extra-firm Topper, Item# RN725-5805A mentioned by OP is now $79.99 for queen size.

If I want a "Deep" mattress to fit my sleigh bed better than a thin one - do I just get a 5" plus a 2" base at JC Penney and add the topper on top of that - that gets me to 5+2+3 = 10"

And has anyone used completesleepshop from eBay? $390 Shipped for a 12" King? Like This ?

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with memory foam that is Made In China Vs the Made in USA type. Is there any difference in quality assuming the same density?

were getting ours from a local retail store. heck i feel sorry for those who buy online and don't know how it's gonna feel. guess my wallet is a bit Fatter

I won my bid on Thursday at eBay for FOAMUSA. I paid as soon as the auction ended and I still had not heard from the seller as of yesterday. I sent an e-mail asking for the tracking number and today recieved a reply that he didn't think it had shipped yet. I'm sorry but that is unacceptable. I chose FOAMUSA because of the feedback stating they had fast shipping. Here it is 4 days later and it hasn't even left them yet.

Maybe they do not work weekends. I hate closing an auction on Thursday or Friday because this delay in shiiping happens frequently in my experience.

JJordan said: Maybe they do not work weekends. I hate closing an auction on Thursday or Friday because this delay in shiiping happens frequently in my experience.

Friday, okay, but Thursday? There is no excuse for that. And to not even have received an e-mail from them after winning the auction? I had to contact them. Even then, his reply to me was unapologetic.

Not replying or contacting you in inexcusable, I agree.

• Archived From: ForumsDeal Discussion

• 139 40 41424353
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014