• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello, i have no membership with either store, but i've been looking around at prices for car tires. my front tires have nails in them, for the 4th time in 6 months. makes me think someone is doing this to me purposely, or maybe its the construction around my house.
so i need new tires. it looks like those regular tire stores, like midas, just tires, are so much more expensive than costco or sams club.
i guess it looks like cheapest is sams club, then WalMart, and then costco for car tires.
does anyone agree with me? differing opinions?
i guess the other criteria is which membership is better?
or can i just cancel the membership with either one and get a refund?
which store has a better auto service?
i dont really think i need to buy anything else after this from either store.
im not sure, but is the balancing, alignment, protection stuff also included in the tire price at sams club as it is with costco?
thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
A friend of mine is a mechanic at a locally owned repair shop and he told me they get a lot of problems with BJ's and Sa... (more)

gotribe03 (Apr. 14, 2006 @ 10:01p) |

Do you have to continue having Costco membership for the life of tires once you buy tires from them to get free say flat... (more)

stuffedwallet (Apr. 14, 2006 @ 11:38p) |

best thing is contact this guy and see if he's close by:<br><br><a target="_new" href="/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&url=... (more)

Typo (Apr. 14, 2006 @ 11:58p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

here is a thread. Best way is to get the lowest internet price then have a B&M store price match. Then go to sams or WalMart and have the tires put on for $7.00 per tire.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/351634

Costco. No Added fees or installation costs. Sams (And most others) adds $10 per tire.

poison7FL said: [Q]Costco. No Added fees or installation costs. Sams (And most others) adds $10 per tire.

Yes. Costco has regular sales and we always wait for them, and if mine ever need air they do it while we're shopping.

yeah what the guy said about pricematching. Most places offer a thing called Road Hazard which is about 7-15 a tire and it covers the tire for the life of the tire from anything like nails or othre road hazards. Might want to look into that. Try TireRack.com

It also depends on what kind of tire you want. I think WalMart carries more brands/models than either Sam's or Costco. They have the BEST prices on Continental tires that I have found online or in any store.

azntwboy said: [Q]Hello, i have no membership with either store, but i've been looking around at prices for car tires. my front tires have nails in them, for the 4th time in 6 months. makes me think someone is doing this to me purposely, or maybe its the construction around my house.
so i need new tires. it looks like those regular tire stores, like midas, just tires, are so much more expensive than costco or sams club.
i guess it looks like cheapest is sams club, then WalMart, and then costco for car tires.
does anyone agree with me? differing opinions?
i guess the other criteria is which membership is better?
or can i just cancel the membership with either one and get a refund?
which store has a better auto service?
i dont really think i need to buy anything else after this from either store.
im not sure, but is the balancing, alignment, protection stuff also included in the tire price at sams club as it is with costco?
thanks

fwiw, price is not the only consideration when it comes to tires. i've bought from discount tires, tire rack, sams and costco. if costco carries your tires, go with costco even if they cost a few bucks more since you're constantly getting flats.

why? if nothing goes wrong, then you may have paid a few bucks more, but you'd have the peace of mind that you have a hassle-free warranty. if something goes wrong this is where costco shines. i've had friends who have had to take their tires back for repairs/replacements, and it was hassle-free. no questions asked, and one friend even made money (they gave him back more in credit for his michelins than his new non-michelin replacement tires cost!) when he complained that he didn't get the full 40,000 miles on his set of tires. his car's alignment was off, but costco gave him credit for new tires.

if you read tire track's road hazard warranty, you'll see that you'll need pre-approval to get a replacement tire, or you need to repair your tire and submit for reimbursement. in the past i bought a set of tires from tire rack. after a week i managed to have a chisel (yes, a metal chisel!) go thru my sidewall. i didn't have time to drive to an authorized shop to get the approval, then deal with driving around a week on the spare tire, then go back to pay for installation again for the tire. i chose to just buy another tire (it was $55 or so) and have it mounted ASAP so i could go on with my life.

with costco, repairs/replaements are hassle-free. if you're constantly getting nails in your tires, costco will be the easiest to deal with. their warranty and customer service is legendary. they also repair, rebalance and rotate your tires for free. lately, i've read that some people are complaining that costco isn't as good as they used to be, but maybe that's because so many people are buying from them, and there may be some that are abusing their generous policies.

my .02 worth.

Definitely go with Costco!!!
They're known for the best customer service without the attitude. I know someone who had a problem with one of four new tires purchased from Sams and Sams wouldn't do anything about it. They ran out of the tire and would not order. The club in question wouldn't do anything so he had to drive to the next nearest club to take care of his problem, on his own. Needless to say, there are bad feelings now and this person will not buy tires from them anymore.

costco with a PM would be the cheapest. they're fast too if you time it right. Years ago, they serviced my car when they opened, and it was first in, first out. Totall time < 30 minutes.

COSTCO is great on properly repairing flats for Free! All their tires have the rad hazzard warranty (prorated for wear). I hit a hunk of steel in road after about 6 months with a Michelin from them and they replaced it at no charge and no question. They also have lifetime balance and roation Free (they say lifetime is limited to 5 years though!)

azntwboy said: [Q]....i dont really think i need to buy anything else after this from either store.
that's what most people think about membership stores, but you'll find that you'll easily save more than the annual membership fee if you shop there regulary, or purchase gas from them.

Try discounttiredirect.com. Free shipping and no tax. Have them ship it to your nearest Discount Tire or America's Tire location and they will install it for you for $44. They also offer a free pro-rated road hazzard warranty. Or you can purchase their complete warranty which gives 100% replacement regardless of treadwear.

umm...i'd be weary of that last statement you made about america's tire. i had a tire which had an unfixable hole. the tire treads were down to the tread wear indicators. they said the tire had lived it's life and no 100% replacement would be given.

wes888 said: [Q]Try discounttiredirect.com. Free shipping and no tax. Have them ship it to your nearest Discount Tire or America's Tire location and they will install it for you for $44. They also offer a free pro-rated road hazzard warranty. Or you can purchase their complete warranty which gives 100% replacement regardless of treadwear.

My costco has a sign that says new tires will be filled with nitrogen gas instead of air.

oceanexprt said: [Q]umm...i'd be weary of that last statement you made about america's tire. i had a tire which had an unfixable hole. the tire treads were down to the tread wear indicators. they said the tire had lived it's life and no 100% replacement would be given.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant to say is that they don't pro-rate if you purchase their Certificates of Replacement. For instance, at Costco, if you have half of your tread left, you would still have to pay 50% of the new tire cost. But at Discount Tire, even if you only had half you tread life, you don't have to pay anything to get your new tire. Again, this is only if you purchase the Certificates. If not, you're still covered by their free pro-rated road hazard, which is the same as Costco's. Additionally, as with all places that offer road hazard warranties, they are usually no longer effective if you have less than 1/32" of tread left.

thanks for all the replies, i ended up going to WalMart because i didnt want to bother with membership. although, WalMart didnt have a good selection at the store and i didnt want to wait for an order to be shipped to the store.
so i got 4 new goodyear eagle H2 tires for $77 and $10 installation and road hazard plan each. i wanted the BFgoodrich traction but they didnt have them. i couldnt find those eagle H2s anywhere online though. you think those are good tires?
its 440 A A and H rated.
although, i must complain that it took 2 hours to get the job done. i waited an hour for my car to get into the shop, and then another hour for the installation.
with the new tires, the drive feels stiffer and sticks to the road better, but it does feel a little slow and heavy. i assume its because the new tires have a larger diameter and is heavier.
they only did wheel balancing. do you think i need alignment? where should i go to get it?

discount tire here has skilled workers, they knew that my lowered vehicle with added bracing (Subframe/rear end) could not be safely lifted using the traditional jacks, they had to use hand jacks on specific points to avoid damaging the aftermarket parts. Also if ANYONE ever puts a wheel lug on with an impact gun, run. All wheel lugs must be lastly tightened with a torque wrench to manufacturers specification.

I did do my homework, the guy that was working on my car, was also a car enthusiast of the same type, and i asked specifically for his workmanship, and tipped him. he also handled the rims with car, since they were in new shape (flawless) and did not put the tiniest scratch on the lip.

I've seen some shops take some nice 17's and flop them right off the car with an impact and watch them drop to the ground, or when using the tire-removal machine, score the outer lip of the car.

I don't need to wonder why my 2002 looks brand new. I paid a little more but got super decent service.

A week later i had a nail in my bmw tire, they patched it for free since i was a customer of recent. They dealt with the subwoofers in the back of the bmw, and the pita way bmw puts the tires and junk in the trunk (staggered tire setup too). All for free. The manager said, just remember who takes car of you.

I will definitely go back there as long as their service levels remain the same.

That alone is worth more than $20-30 off or whatever discounted rate.

Of course if you drive a beater, you may see this as excessively pointless. But when i spend $25-50K on a vehicle, i expect it to last a long time, and look good. It pains me to see those Lexus with all curbed up rims and never been rotated tires come in. Rich folks who don't care that their vehicle looks like poop. lol.

Attention to detail is likely to vary from place to place, thats what i'm trying to say, so if you cannot get intimate with the workers/manager, you might consider the money extra spent, well worth it.

Any ideas when Costco will have it's next $60 off coupon for tires ?

Never again for me at Walamrt.....
Bring in a flat tire (allready off the car, in the trunk)
Pick it up next day.
The others before me (tire buyers, oil changes)that day come first.

Now when you buy from Les Schwab (Oregon) bring in a flat and you are on your way in 30 minutes.....
The office help gets on it if needed. (not the ladies though)

dammit, i just found out that the Goodyear American Eagle H2s are manufactured specifically for WalMart. in my opinion theyre just repackaged versions of something else with a different tread pattern? any opinion about this?
i think its got the same performance quality as the GT-HR, but costs $7 more. they're both 440 A A. i think I just wasted $30.
the problem is that the stupid WalMart i went to doesnt keep a good stock, so i just went ahead and got something cause i felt i needed to make the time i was wasting worthwhile.
although I could have just gone back home and ordered the cheaper GT-HR on the WalMart website and wait a couple of days. dont know.
someone please try to convince me that i got a good deal so i wont sulk for a week or 2.

wes888 said: [Q]Try discounttiredirect.com. Free shipping and no tax. Have them ship it to your nearest Discount Tire or America's Tire location and they will install it for you for $44. They also offer a free pro-rated road hazzard warranty. Or you can purchase their complete warranty which gives 100% replacement regardless of treadwear.
I have just gone through this stuff, and I would advise Costco if their selection suits your application. Basis & other observations:
Bought highly-rated (Consumer Reports) Falken Ziex 512 tires from Discount tire direct at a great savings vs Americas tire (their retail branch), but the tires wore out in 15k of 60k miles. The online division was to charge $35-40 for me to return old ones to them, offsetting some of the benefits of the online purchase.

Recent reviews of tires on Consumer reports includes info on how well the tested tires met the warranty mileage claim, so I am focussing on tires CR said held up 'very good', because the cost of re-installation is an additional cost (to me) to the warranty adjustment, and will add up a lot if my tires regularly wear out in 25% of the warranty period like my Falkens (8 mos on 60000 mile tires).

The set of Michelins I am waiting for should cost me about $13/month if they hold up to 3/4 of the warranted mileage, vs $28/month on the Falkens. So even while paying much more for the Michelins, my actual costs drop in half.

Costco / Americas Tire / Discount Tire Direct all have virtually the identical price for my new tires (after adding installation).

I went with Americas Tire since they made good on my treadwear warranty credit, AND had the same price for the Michelins I wanted from Costco, so it knocked down the $460 pricetag to $290.

They charge about $10 per tire for the policy to replace your tire for 'free' if you have a road hazard claim. I'm not sure if I'm going to pay that fee, but it seems more reasonable a price (9% of tire cost) on an expensive tire vs a cheap tire (24%).

Time will tell if the new tires live for the 90,000 mile warranty period! I will be saving my little spreadsheet for later, to see how the numbers prove out.

EDIT: Americas Tire was Awesome: They made a FULL adjustment, and didnt charge for install of the Replacements! AND they upgraded me to the free replacement warranty policy. WOW! Loyalty won. Period.

so i guess i was being paranoid. i checked the inside face of the tires, had to jack the car and crawl under, was afraid the car was going to crush me. HKUR 24R **** was on there. Goodyear American Eagle H2 only available at WalMart. i still think its the GT-HR relabeled. i guess i cant really do anything now. i did pay $7 more per tire but i guess i didnt really have an option at the time. well, i could have driven to another store to look, but i would have spent more time while driving on tires with nails in them.
i tried looking at consumer reports. i guess now you have to subscribe? oh well.

willyworld: if its no problem for you, could you post a screenshot of tires CR recommends for a camry, 205/65/15?
thanks.

BJs is a good place to go for tires. They have Michelin, BF Goodrich and Uniroyal.
price includes the following.

* tire
* mounting
* disposal
* lifetime balance and rotation
* lifetime flat tire fix
* roadside assistance.

Note : get free alignment for 3 years from NTB for a price of $140 or 5 years for $170.

The list of tires they rated last was in the November 2005 issue. Cant get you the screenshot, but Check out at the local public library. They keep past issues everywhere I've been. Its an article with about 15-20 tires tested (all-season).Its a real good read, and the tradeoffs of various ride qualities is catalogued to help make the choice best suited to you.

wes888 said: [Q]Try discounttiredirect.com. Free shipping and no tax. Have them ship it to your nearest Discount Tire or America's Tire location and they will install it for you for $44. They also offer a free pro-rated road hazzard warranty. Or you can purchase their complete warranty which gives 100% replacement regardless of treadwear.That's much better than those extra-cost pro-rated road hazard warranties that most places offer. I had some tires from Pep Boys covered by that, and I found that replacements under warranty would cost almost exactly the same as comparable tires from Discount Tire and 100% coverage.

I just ordered tires from Costco.com. It was cheap $89 + $10 install/balance/road hazard/new stems/nitrogen. But the wait seems long, 5 days to local Costco. I need the tires right now but they only have a $180 model in stock.

But never buy tires from Pepboys! They are bunch of crooks. They will quote a price hundreds over the price of the tires, because they don't disclose that they includ road hazard, alignment, life time balancing (all optional) without your permission. They'll just say "including EVERYTHING"...... seriously, they are bunch of crooks. Tires are alright for being no-name brands but they aren't worth the price and hassle.

NEVER BUY TIRES FROM PEPCROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with BJ's. In my experience, you can get them put on same day!

I agree with BJ's. In my experience, you can get them put on same day!

[Q] Any ideas when Costco will have it's next $60 off coupon for tires ?

I called COSTCO today and they said the next $60 coupon should be in June.

I have had great luck with Costco.. In fact, my previous car, when new with the stock tires, got a couple of flats, that costco repaired for free! Even though I told them it was the stock tires, they didn't charge me.

So they've got my business. Now my new car ('04 Audi S4) needs new tires at $260 a pop. Wish those $60 coupons were around, but I need em bad -- ran over a pothole in downtown San Francisco that split two of my tires apart. Luckily they didn't explode, but I need new tires fast... Hopefully my claim with the city will pay for my new tires so it's all good!

A friend of mine is a mechanic at a locally owned repair shop and he told me they get a lot of problems with BJ's and Sam's tires. They don't clean the rims and a few other things. He didn't recommend them. I've seen some of BJ's work and it wasn't pretty. A guy I knew got a job in the tire dept at BJ's and he is the laziest thing and he even said he didn't care what kind of job he did. They would put 5-7 weights on one rim to balance the tires. It was crazy.

Do you have to continue having Costco membership for the life of tires once you buy tires from them to get free say flat tire repairs?

best thing is contact this guy and see if he's close by:

Selling Costco Tires

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014