• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have never had Comcast cable TV in my home. My question is, can I do the self installation? Both the Circuit City guy and the Comcast phone rep said no and I need to pay $50 for their installation.

Just want a second opinion.

Also, if I cancel Comcast after the 6 month promotion, and later want to reconnect again, do I need "professional installation" again? I guess no since all the hardware are already in place, right?

Thanks for any help!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Check out www.comcast.com. I believe that option is available when you select your package.

FriendlyPeon said: [Q]Check out www.comcast.com. I believe that option is available when you select your package.

I checked it today. It says $49 "professional installation" for non cable TV users.

keep calling until you get a CSR that will waive that fee

my question is, what actually is done during that installation?

busterbaxter said: [Q]my question is, what actually is done during that installation?

If you have not had Cable TC, the cable at the junction box might be disconnected/have filters resulting in no cable signal or weak signal to your home. They will connect that and then do "profession" install on you computer - you may not want them to touch your computer though.

dumroo said: [Q]busterbaxter said: [Q]my question is, what actually is done during that installation?

If you have not had Cable TC, the cable at the junction box might be disconnected/have filters resulting in no cable signal or weak signal to your home. They will connect that and then do "profession" install on you computer - you may not want them to touch your computer though.

Thanks for the clarification. Can I do the connect at the junction box myself?

The Comcast phone rep did suggest me to get the free self install kit from Circuit City though, not for the initial install. But she said I might need it if I want to add new PCs to my home setup, provided that I have a router.

My other question is that if I disconnect the service after the promotion period, do they still require me to pay for "pro install" if I reconnect in the future?

Thanks for helping this HSI newbie.

if you have comcast cable, then you can do self-install in 5 mins - literally.
if you do NOT have comcast cable, you may have to pay those charges as you arent a comcast cable customer.

if you don't have comcast tv, you should get it first. My last install charge was about $10. Then go to the store to sign up for internet and when they ask you, tell them you already have comcast tv. This way, you are not charged additionally and you can do self install.

Circuit City does not make you get their own modem, but Best Buy does. And yes, if you sign up with Circuit City, the self install kit is free on the spot.

As an aside, the self-install kit is a useless, expensive piece of junk. They charge you $14.99 for a coax splitter, a coax cable, some papers, and a self-install CD. You can get the self install CD for free at your local Comcast office. Buy the splitter and coax cable for cheap elsewhere.

robocop said: [Q]if you don't have comcast tv, you should get it first. My last install charge was about $10. Then go to the store to sign up for internet and when they ask you, tell them you already have comcast tv. This way, you are not charged additionally and you can do self install.

Circuit City does not make you get their own modem, but Best Buy does. And yes, if you sign up with Circuit City, the self install kit is free on the spot.

Thanks. I now have the self install kit (free from Circuit City). I will try the self install tonight. But I have already called Comcast yesterday for an installation appointment. The issue is that if I call in and tell them it is installed, they can still look up my address and notice that this home has never had cable TV before and maybe mandate that $49.99 fee?

The hardest part will be getting the coax cable to your computer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014